Members:   Log In Sign Up

Osman's threat

Leon Osman ? so I'm assured by the few people I know who see something in him ? has some attributes as a footballer. Unfortunately, that short list does not include the ability to kick a football, at least not any harder than your average toddler.

When I first saw the headline 'Ossie ? I'd sign for life', I interpreted it as a threat. Perhaps I have never forgiven him for the 2009 FA Cup Final. And I did notice that he ran around a lot in the derby... and that he can tackle better than Bily.

But for me, handing him a contract till 2014 is as clear an indication the club could give of a lack of ambition. 'Osman signs new contract', subtitle: 'Everton FC maintaining the status quo'.
Jon Sellick, Formby     Posted 28/10/2010 at 15:13:04

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 28/10/2010 at 19:33:52

I include myself among those that sound more like you than you knowledgeable friends... but I think that is a little harsh. Given the reality of our situation, I was not unduly upset by Ossie signing 'for life'. He's a warm body to run around on the field... (just an aside: does he ever get booked?!?)

And he can hit the ball pretty hard once in a blue moon, pulling off the (increasingly rare!) spectacular goal.

Lack of ambition? He's all we can afford. And what's more, David Moyes just loves him.
Nick Entwistle
2   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:00:57

People have always said he makes a good squad player, and yes he does. Only I've beenwaiting for the team to surpass his abilities to make that true.
Still, I've always thought if he had a footballer as good as Baines behind him we'd be able to see more of him. Though as Coleman does seem to have pushed him over to the left that has come true.
After January the scary situation make come about where he is our new Pienaar! Bring on Moyes' secret I say.
Declan Burke
3   Posted 28/10/2010 at 19:58:37

I rate him as a squad player and to replace him could prove costly. Wasn't he playing well against the RS until he was taken out?
Robert Daniels
4   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:11:05

On his day, Osman is a terrific little footballer. The problem has been, Moyes over using him when we can see a better option.

He has been hung out to dry on the wing for what seems like an eternity but, on his day and in a more central role (like Arteta), he can produce the goods. I regard him as a valuable squad player.

Think you're a tad harsh, sir!
Brian Keating
5   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:12:21

I am glad Osman has signed on for another few years, the same goes for Hibbert.

Heitega, Pienaar etc are being lambasted on here all the time for showing no loyalty, yet when 2 players commit to the club for the rest of their careers some people want to have a go.

Now, I'm not saying either of them are actually any good. I think Osman has his uses as an attacking midfielder, as long as he is kept away from right wing and Hibbert couldn't cross a ball to save his life, but is a great man marker and did well at centre half when we were stuck.

Every club needs players that are completely loyal to the manager and do exactly what their told on the the pitch. Look at Man U, Fergi has Fletcher, O'Shea and Park. None of them are world class but do the job they're given with no fuss and can be relyed to play whatever position they're told to play.
David Price
6   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:16:36

No worries Osman getting a contract.
Good footballer, good team player .
Good squads are built with thIs type of player.
Daniel Johnson
7   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:27:49

Disgusting post removed by moderator
Daniel Johnson
8   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:30:37

Not to mention the irony of it all.

Osman signs a contract we let Pienaar go for nothing.

THE EVERTON WAY no doubt!

How about letting Osman go and use his wages to beef up Pienaar?
Robert Moore
9   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:35:37

David Price, totally agree with the comments. Nothing wrong with Ozzie in my eyes. Good footballer and he give 100%.
Andy Codling
10   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:37:15

"While Ossie is a very limited player, there is no doubt that he loves Everton. Not only is he a player, but he is also a fan."

Declan that sounds like most peoples defence of Billy Bullshit
Andy Codling
11   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:39:37

So as long as your a "fan and love Everton" you generally get a pass to be shit at your job
Sam Hoare
12   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:44:53

Oh no, a loyal player who has probably been one of our better this season has signed a new contract.

He's not gonna set the world on fire but lets please not give him crap now for showing loyalty.
David Price
13   Posted 28/10/2010 at 20:52:30

I'm aslo disgusted at Leons attitude to injury that he is not in a swimming pool in a 36 degree country, smoking, swigging beer and having waiter service at beck and call.
To think he will probably be limping around Goodison watching the boys on Saturday play Stoke, makes my blood boil.
Shame on the man !
Leon Perrin
14   Posted 28/10/2010 at 21:45:40

Leon is great.
John Talbot
15   Posted 28/10/2010 at 21:43:05

These are the players you want to see showing loyalty, heart and effort every week who just wants to play.

The Pienaars of this world are in it for the money. You cannot blame them but the club is right to have its limits and he would probably go anyway to to get a bigger deal.

Mike Allison
16   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:00:49

Let's just slag off all our players in turn, why not? That's what makes us good supporters right?

I'm pleased Leon has signed, I doubt he's demanded extortionate wages, and he does okay. As Nick said in #2, he's a good squad player and can't be blamed for the fact that the team has failed to surpass him in order to make that genuinely true.
John McLoughlin
17   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:05:09

Dont blame Ossie, blame the players we've brought in to take his place. they have been shit which is why osman gets a place back in the side. He's an average player and until somebody steps up and does better we'll have to make do.
Tony J Williams
18   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:12:08

"But for me, handing him a contract till 2014 is as clear an indication the club could give of a lack of ambition.'"

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. Keeping your settled squad shows lack of ambition....give me strength.

If the board listened to some of the posters on here and got shut of their boo boys we wouldn't have a team left to put out on the weekend, let alone have a squad.
Tony J Williams
19   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:16:02

Oh and I thought the general consensus was that the cup final was Hibbert's fault etc etc
Chris Jones
20   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:12:41

Alan Harper, Kevin Richardson, Roger Kenyon, Leon Osman, John Bailey, Tony Hibbert, etc., etc., all a vital part of the Everton set up.

Yes, we'd all love a squad with 24 world beaters but we can't, deal with it.

What I'd also really like is 'fans' not slagging-off players who manifestly give 100% of what they possess - even if that will never be enough for some people. I personally find it so much easier to support guys who give their all rather than spoiled twats who just want the dosh an adulation.
Steve Pugh
21   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:17:38

Let me get this right if the boo boys had there way:- Beckford - gone, Osman - gone, Neville - gone, Hibbert - gone, Billy - gone, Yakubu - gone, Saha - gone, Heitinga - gone, Distin - gone, Peinaar - gone, Anichebe - gone, Vaughan - gone.

Did I miss anyone?

So that gives us Howard in goal.
A back four of Coleman, Jags, Duffy and Baines. Central midfield of Rodwell, Arteta and Felli. Left midfield would be ?????, Right midfield would be ????? and Cahill on his own up front.

On the bench, Garbutt, Gueye, Mucha, and some others.

Yeah sounds good to me.
Ian Smitham
22   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:53:33

Michael ? Your trainset but why do you allow posts like the idiot on No 6?

Get rid, whatever Leon is or is not, coments like those demean the discussion but more to the point ruin your site.

Standards.
Derek Thomas
23   Posted 28/10/2010 at 23:50:24

Pienaar and Osman have BOTH got about the same amount of skill and both about the same size as well for that.

Pienaar just got lucky in getting Baines to help make hin look good. the greedy bugger now thinks he's better than he is.

Put a set of beaded dreds on Osman and stick him on the left with Baines and we won't lose much or any.

Then take as much as we can get for Pienaar and watch him crash and burn where he is only an average fish in a big pond.

While we're at it take anything down to and including a tube of smarties for Bily. That's 2 wages saved and some cash in
Terry White
24   Posted 29/10/2010 at 00:47:53

Well said, Ian, #22.

Daniel, #6, that is the most disgusting comment I have ever read on this forum. I can only wonder at the level of depravity in your mind that makes you believe it is acceptable to write in such a disgusting manner. SHAME ON YOU!
John Gee
25   Posted 29/10/2010 at 01:20:09

Steve (No 21),
To add to your list... Jags (hoofball merchant), Howard (dodgy keeper), Felli (out of his depth), Cahill (past it), Arteta (crap with dead balls).

It baffles me how people love to slag off players after a dip in form or even a single mistake. Osman has been a good, loyal servant to our club. He's never once complained about being stuck on the right or the left when he considers himself a central midfielder.

As for Hibbert, that guy gets critisized more than anyone else. He can't cross the ball that well. Really? A defender not being great at attacking? IMAGINE THAT! Hibbert is another player that will put in a hard shift for the benefit of the team. He'll always get up, dust himself off and try again. I've never once seen his head go down.

Loyalty is a two-way street. Thanks Davey for showing some loyalty to the water-carriers and thanks lads for showing that you believe in the club. You should both wear 'once a blue...' T-shirts when you next play Manure at the Old Lady.

Martin Mason
26   Posted 29/10/2010 at 03:23:38

Unfortunately there are a people on this site who talk through their chocolate starfish and wouldn't know a decent player if they actually saw one. Osman has been a top youth player and a decent player for Everton especially when played in central midfield where he can excel.

When I think of people like Sandy Brown and Kevin Richardson the club needs and has benefited from loyal squad players who will play where the manager wants them and do their best, who don't hold the club to ransom every few years at contract time. I for one am glad that Leon and Hibbert have commited their futures to the club and they are a credit for doing so. Pienaar on the other hand is a mercenary.

Jason Lam
27   Posted 29/10/2010 at 04:54:24

Would it matter if Osman was 1 of 7 subs?
Declan Burke
28   Posted 29/10/2010 at 08:43:55

Andy #10 and 11. Two points.

First one. While this discussion is not about Bill, for all his faults I would take him any day over the Glaziers, Hicks, Gilette and the all the other morons who have wrecked West Ham, Portsmouth, Leeds etc.

Second point, "fan and love Everton" you generally get a pass to be shit at your job ? is not only an insult to current players Howard, Baines, Jags, Neville and Cahill who have all expressed affection and shown loyalty to the club, but to former greats like Bally, Labone, Sharp, Big Dunc etc who were fans and loved the club but were not SHIT at their jobs.

Also delighted that Hibbert is staying, he is also a fan.

Jon Ferguson
29   Posted 29/10/2010 at 08:43:52

Ossie is Everton through and through. He is not quick enough to play out wide but when he plays in the middle he has a nice touch, good technique and can pick a pass. Most of all he loves the club and wants to be here. He would not be in my first choice midfield, and neither do I think he would be first choice in a fully fit Moyes midfield now, but he is a good player to have in the squad.
David Thomas
30   Posted 29/10/2010 at 08:47:40

Steve 21,

We would not have a goalie either as we have been told in the last week he is a calamity keeper that needs dropping.

We also would not have Jags in defence as we have been told this week he is a yard dog. Felli has been slated as being a waste of space in a thread this week. Also, we have been told Cahill should not play either as he leads us to playing hoofball and if you take his headed goals away he does not score that many goals.
Andy Codling
31   Posted 29/10/2010 at 12:38:11

Amazing how deluded fans become that we consider ourselves lucky when players who are earning thousands and thousands of pounds a week declare their affection to a club.
Ernie Baywood
32   Posted 29/10/2010 at 13:02:54

This thread really calls in the double standard to Pienaar. Osman's shit so ditch him, Pienaar is great so keep him. Why do we expect loyalty from Pienaar yet not feel we owe anything to Osman?

Personally I still think he has something to offer this squad. Not on the right, but anywhere else in midfield when we need a set of legs.

To be fair, even in just a business sense it would cost money to replace two squad players (please just let them be squad players Dave) like Osman and Hibbert.

Also, I remember when he was plying his trade in a hoofball team and was one of the few prepared to get the ball into feet and look for a pass. He got belted all over the place in those teams and kept on coming back for more. He's not as bad as people seem to think.

No complaints about them getting a new contract from me. Good luck to them.
Richard Dodd
33   Posted 29/10/2010 at 15:25:16

What a travesty of the truth, John Sellick. The next few weeks may well show that in missing Ossie, we are missing the real engine of our team. Yes, Tim and Mickey get the headlines but they thrive on the work that Leon puts in ? although, just like Tony Hibbert, he suffers from being one of our own.
James Martin
34   Posted 29/10/2010 at 15:57:01

What a ridculous post. Osman is second only to Arteta as the best central midfielder at the club. The only one with any positional sense, tracks back and gets from box to box, not to mention a good first touch and accurate passing combined with a goal threat and a bit of passion.

Oh no, though ? everyone would rather see Marouane "I've played a handful of good games in my entire Everton career" Fellaini. All his passionless lacklustre displays are forgotten in a second because everyone has some delusion that one spin on Bellamy makes him world class. He marked Gerrard out of one game one time that wasn't even for us.

Osman has good games and tries harder (and usually plays better) than most players yet him and Hibbert are always the first criticized. After Heitinga's atrocious display against Spurs, Osman should be back in the line-up in centre mid. We would pass teams off the park that way.

Everyone conveniently seems to have forgotten Fiorentina, Arsenal away, Man Utd at home when Osman was sensational in centre mid. No coincidence that these are some of our best recent wins. How about a compilation of Osman's goals compared to a compilation of Heitinga and Fellaini's, there would be no comparison. But yes lets let a true blue who will actually nails his colours to the mast, let's let him go and not give him a new deal just because the newspapers aren't all over him.

Tony J Williams
35   Posted 29/10/2010 at 16:09:40

James... don't let this go past you and I... (whispers) ? Ossie is a childhood redshite. If this gets out, he is a gonner....
Ernie McAllister
36   Posted 29/10/2010 at 22:02:31

I hope he has a debilitating accident that ends his over long career as an alleged footballer... along with his bum boy Hibbert...
Ernie McAllister
37   Posted 29/10/2010 at 22:03:44

James Martin - I'd like some of that shite your taking too... coz from where I sit in the Bullens, I don't see what you do!
Tony J Williams
38   Posted 29/10/2010 at 22:10:31

I would rather have an over optimistic poster than one who stupidly wishes a career-ending injury to his own team's players.
Steve Pugh
39   Posted 29/10/2010 at 22:19:04

Ernie, that post is uncalled for and totally pathetic. Hardly a poster on here disagreed that Ossie was superb before he got taken out against the RS, but I guess you didn't see that. Other posters on here have given examples of when he was superb, but I guess you didn't see them either.

I know, you must be one of those people who likes to sit backwards on a chair so that you can lean your chin on the chair back. Word of advice, the pitch is behind you, turn round and you might see some of what everyone else sees.

[Editor's Note: There's a problem with some of the messages below that I can't fix, and it's blocking subsequent comments from showing up on this thread, so I am closing this thread to any further comments until we can fix the problem. ]

Leon Marshall
40   Posted 29/10/2010 at 23:49:18

Post removed: don't suggest your fellow Evertonians are kopites.
Ian Smitham
41   Posted 29/10/2010 at 23:37:15

Micheal

Sir

Thank you for eliminting the previous idiot.

Its not my job to be a moderator on what you have created as an open forum and well done.

I dont know whether it is me but either can you organise a poll of no36's comments or just eliminate him for
good.

Help me - bods out there - send in a few comments of reason- do you want a discussion or debate with fellow blues or to include the likes of comments from individuals who just simply can not be right minded individuals seeking to either be provocative or self publicing morons.

Read the post of No 36 and ask yourself whether you want to be associated with this level of scum.
Ian Smitham
42   Posted 29/10/2010 at 23:37:15

Micheal

Sir

Thank you for eliminting the previous idiot.

I dont know whether it is me but either can you organise a poll of no 36's comments or just eliminate him for good.

Ian Smitham