Members:   Log In Sign Up

Dustbin puts the lid on it

I felt the need to correct my earlier ramblings about our porous defence and its inability to keep clean sheets.

I posted all summer and early season saying our priority should be a top-class defender not a right midfield player.

A number of us were crying out for Johnnie Heitinga to replace Sylvain Distin, and asking why Yobo was allowed to go out on loan... Well, I'm now happy to rewrite that.

I feel that, since the Newcastle debacle, the criticism of Distin has stung him into action and he is now playing as well ? if not better ? than Lescott ever did... and his partnership with Jags looks as solid as any in the Premier League.

I know its a marathon, not a sprint but I have to say right now, it's the most pleasing aspect of our game because, with the defence tight, it gives the midfield more confidence to get forward.

I just hope that we stay injury free and continue to consolidate.
Jay Harris, Liverpool     Posted 31/10/2010 at 13:18:29

Comments

David Price
1   Posted 31/10/2010 at 14:22:06

Well said Jay, Distin doing the business and has improved greatly.
Dean Adams
2   Posted 31/10/2010 at 14:17:21

It was mentioned that we should re-asess our season after 10 games, as that would be a more honest perspective from which to judge our team this season. Well, the 10 games has seen our defence become one of the tightest in the league and as a result we are now climbing back to our true position.

The people on this site that were happy with us struggling have gone quiet again, just like last year. Another slow start but we have now turned the corner and our experience is carrying us through. Long may it last and hopefully it won't just be Distin whose form improves so that we can reach the top 4 and challenge for the top places. When we achieve that, then we will be able to buy a few more players.

Moyes and the team take so much stick on this site but most of it is really frustration from fans who are fed up with waiting.

James Byrne
3   Posted 31/10/2010 at 14:33:17

Is right Jay.

I was at the game yesterday and the Distin & Jags partnership / performance was excellent IMO; Stoke have some really big lads who can dish it out and they both done a great job.

As always, let's hope we keep these lads fit.
John Andrews
4   Posted 31/10/2010 at 15:03:50

Jay, well said could not agree more.
The making of a good partnership there.
A simple equation;
Lescott?
Or Distin + £19million?
Easy isnt it.
John Daley
5   Posted 31/10/2010 at 15:15:24

John Andrews,

Lescott. Paticularly if said £19m is spent on Bilyaletdinov and Heitinga.

Top partnership with Jagielka, quality cover at left back (something we're sorely lacking at the moment), innate ability to pop up with an important goal when the forwards are shooting blanks (again, something we're sorely missing at the moment).
Gareth Hughes
6   Posted 31/10/2010 at 15:32:38

I guarantee, absolutely guarantee, that Distin will get an injury following this fine form. Its Everton and thats what always happens!
Christopher McCullough
7   Posted 31/10/2010 at 15:52:36

I still prefer Heitinga for his calmness and distribution but fair play to Distin for being adaquate.
Antony Matthews
8   Posted 31/10/2010 at 16:18:51

Dustbin needs to chip in with a few goals before I'd compare him to Lescott.
Dick Anderson
9   Posted 31/10/2010 at 16:38:34

The only real problem with Sylvain Distin is that he's about to turn 33.

I know central defenders can usually last a little longer but, at 33, Moyes will probably need to look at replacing him sooner rather then later.

Heitinga doesn't strike me as a player who is going to be around for long. Shane Duffy may be the long term answer but at such a young age its impossible to know if either Duffy or Shkodran Mustafi will develop into first team players.

My guess is that Moyes will have to find some money and bring in a mid-20s central defender to replace Distin.
David Hallwood
10   Posted 31/10/2010 at 16:44:05

Two CB's to monitor is Stoke's Shawcross, because he looked a class act yesterday, and Lescott who's right down the pecking order at Citteh... bollocks to all the disloyal bit ? I'd have him back in a heartbeat!
Leon Perrin
11   Posted 31/10/2010 at 16:54:28

Dean @ 2

No-one's happy when we struggle, some of us can see what's wrong and just pass on our fountain of knowledge as lifelong supporters.

Most of us, like me, are absolute geniuses.
Sam Hoare
12   Posted 31/10/2010 at 17:06:22

Well said Jay.

I came on to an anti-Distin thread earlier this season and said that, Man Utd apart, he had been one of our best players. I was slated and accused of being a kopite!!

Our defense looks pleasingly solid. No injuries please.
Rob Murphy
13   Posted 31/10/2010 at 17:48:20

Lescott took a look at a cow in a field and thought...that cow is better than my cow...but it doesn't always work out that the cow in the field is better than your own cow does it??? (Pienaar should have a good look at his cow as well.)
Ray Roche
14   Posted 31/10/2010 at 17:54:41

There's a cow in the field by my house. I've never seen her play football, though.
Stephen Kenny
15   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:24:29

Rob,

I can't work out if you're a cryptic genius or a heavily medicated simpleton. To be fair, Lescott gave his cow a few good years and gave it a good bit of grass when he left it. I also felt he handled swapping his cow quite well. I'd be more than happy if he got his old cow back.

Jay,

You're spot on. He has been very solid the past few games. He is also shit off a shovel for a guy his age and size. I said a while back that the Jag would get back to his commanding best and just lately he's looked as good as ever, a large part of that is down to Distin.

I really hope they continue in this vein for the rest of the season because whatever we achieve this season will be built upon defensive solidity, we never really look like were gonna dish hidings out.
Albert Perkins
16   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:28:53

She's retired, Ray, she used to play for Cowdenbeath.

Sorry, I'll finish my milk and go.
Albert Perkins
17   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:35:06

Pienaar needs to stay with Everton and not go to an udder team...

Sorry, hadn't quite finished my milk.
Albert Perkins
18   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:37:10

The grass often looks greener in other fields, but you have to watch out for cow pats.

One last swig and I'm gone.
Albert Perkins
19   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:39:22

I was ruminating on the fact that it's not the cow but the bull you have to watch out for, and we talk a lot of that, don't we?

OK, I'm off. Dairy me, I'm late!
Jon Cox
20   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:42:57

If Lescott went to play in India he would be sacred.

God what udder rubish !!
Jon Cox
21   Posted 31/10/2010 at 18:57:32

Bert Perkins is strong and tough
only the best is good enough
creamy milk a whiter bar,
In Nestle's Milky Bar

Just for you, Albert.
Tony Cheek
22   Posted 31/10/2010 at 19:17:47

Dead right, Jay ? he has been playing well and the partnership with Jags is looking solid, only one thing wrong with your mail is, why call him 'Dustbin'? ? have a bit of respect!!
Tony McNulty
23   Posted 31/10/2010 at 20:04:19

Re, the ?cow? theme, someone sent me this on Friday:

A Welshman walks into the bedroom with a sheep on a leash and says....
"Honey, this is the cow I make love to when you have a headache."
His wife, lying in the bed reading a book, looks up and says,
"If you weren't such an idiot, you'd know that's a sheep,
not a cow."

The guy replies, "If you weren't such a presumptuous bitch, you'd realise I was talking to the sheep."

Kunal Desai
24   Posted 31/10/2010 at 20:51:31

Second best defence in the league right now. Let's keep it going!
John Andrews
25   Posted 31/10/2010 at 20:52:41

John Daley,
I never brought how the money was spent in to it, £24 million for Lescott was unbelievable money.
As for cover for left back and a few extra goals, £19 million spent properly should have been more than enough.
Thomas Christensen
26   Posted 31/10/2010 at 20:44:20

Rob 13# - I went to bovine university once when I was younger and I learnt to "never milk another man's cow."

It would seem Lescott didn't learn this bovine proverb...

Leon Perrin
27   Posted 31/10/2010 at 21:11:24

The cow talk doesn't detract from the usual bullshit about how good we are.

See, if the team could link with such aplomb, we'd be Champions.
Jay Harris
28   Posted 31/10/2010 at 21:35:10

I think I preferred the Led Zeppelin thread to you bunch of Cow-boys.
Paul Conatzer
29   Posted 31/10/2010 at 22:02:50

There's a cow in the field behind my house and it's wearing an army uniform with the No. 7 on it, yes, it's a right-wing military cow....

So sorry....
Albert Perkins
30   Posted 31/10/2010 at 22:07:38

It's OK, Jay, we'll keep this to ourselves. What happens on Toffeeweb stays............

Don''t how much longer we can milk this one, lads.

Ray Roche
31   Posted 31/10/2010 at 22:10:46

A school outing of inner city scouse kids go to Wales and see farm animals for the first time. When they get home little Johnny's dad asks him how things went and what they saw.
"It was great,Dad. In the first field we saw some sheep, then we saw some chickens, then some fuckers and than some pigs"
"Er...go back a field or two,son, what did you see?"
"Chickens,Dad, they were all right but they just scratched about a bit"
"No,son,the field after them"
"The pigs?"
"No, in between the chickens and the pigs"
"Oh, the fuckers!"
"Er....what's a "fucker",son?"
"Oh, that was teacher.She called them heiffers but we knew what she meant"

I apologise for the vintage of that joke. It's currently on a farewell tour of North Wales.
John McLoughlin
32   Posted 31/10/2010 at 23:36:55

The best thing about our return to form after the usual slow start is, its happened earlier than usual. with other teams not getting off to a flying start we are not out of the race for Europe or even a top 4 place. Last season we didnt get going till much later in the season.

The defence being tight is vital considering the way we play, No surprise to see the organisation come with the return of the most vocal player at the club Phil Neville.

Tony McNulty
33   Posted 01/11/2010 at 01:06:51

No-one has to kowtow to ridiculous comments on here.
Ste Traverse
34   Posted 01/11/2010 at 02:08:20

Distin was awful earlier in the season deserved criticism. But now he is playing well and deserves praise. Let's hope the lad keeps up his good form.
Albert Perkins
35   Posted 01/11/2010 at 05:38:43

I agree that Distin has improved leaps and bounds.

Don't you think it's time Pienaar moooved on?

Then we could put a more loyal side in the field, I mean on the field.

Tony McNulty
36   Posted 01/11/2010 at 07:25:07

I'd have no beef with that, Albert
John Andrews
37   Posted 01/11/2010 at 11:35:30

Lads, can we give the jokes a miss now and get back to the football.
You started this Albert, stop talking bullocks.
Tony McNulty
38   Posted 01/11/2010 at 12:31:29

Veal all have to improve. Heifer felt you were being given a bum steer?
Stephen Kenny
39   Posted 01/11/2010 at 16:15:47

Tony,

Your milking it now!
Steve Pugh
40   Posted 01/11/2010 at 18:59:24

I think I've herd enough, cud you all give it a rest.
Jon Cox
41   Posted 01/11/2010 at 19:05:52

Not sure Steve I think we'll have to (milk) monitor the situation and report back.
Andy Kay
42   Posted 01/11/2010 at 19:51:45

This thread is tripe!!!! Got the horn while reading it though.....
Kris Boner
43   Posted 01/11/2010 at 19:52:50

This has definitely been the best read on toffeeweb for a while. Fair play lads.
Andy Kay
44   Posted 01/11/2010 at 19:57:17

Hoofball!!!!
Andy Crooks
45   Posted 01/11/2010 at 20:40:01

Shane Duffy is good enough. We should have bought Niall McGinn on he cheap a year ago.
Andy Kay
46   Posted 01/11/2010 at 20:49:24

At least Distin is now showing pride in his "jersey".
Chris Hannon
47   Posted 01/11/2010 at 22:35:39

It would of been miSTEAK to drop Distin because Heitinga isn't assed about Everton, Distin is!
Ray Roche
48   Posted 01/11/2010 at 22:43:30

Distin's OK while the weathers warm but when it's fresian cold he's crap.
Tony McNulty
49   Posted 01/11/2010 at 22:50:05

When "Bully" was our Chief Executive, did we used to play a game of two calves?
Albert Perkins
50   Posted 02/11/2010 at 03:36:45

I have enjoyed this in-depth discussion about the finer points of Distin defending the long bull.

I feel my contributions pail into insignificance in comparison to my esteemed fellow commentators. Bully for you.

You know, it's only football, but I like it.
Matthew Mackey
51   Posted 02/11/2010 at 15:06:06

I agree Distin has improved immensley since the Newcastle game and i hope his improved performances continue. Not so sure (yet) that his partnership with Jags is as good as Lescott's was.

A work in progress I think.
James Stewart
52   Posted 02/11/2010 at 16:53:17

What a load of rubbish. He has played better than against Man Utd yes but then he could hardly get any worst. There are still the heart in mouth moments. He just hasn't been punished for them. Decent player on his day but saying we have one of the strongest Cb pairings in Distin/Jagielka is bordering on insanity. They have the distribution skills of a retarded horse!

Heitinga is skill the most accomplished CB at the club but I doubt we will see him there anytime soon.
Albert Perkins
53   Posted 03/11/2010 at 02:42:28

James, I think Andy Kay agrees with you. "Hoofball!!"