Eveyone Loves a Good Stat

I think I have a stat that Gary and the rest of the MotD team would be proud of. If I'm not mistaken we took less points than any other team in the first five games. I have an inkling that in the last five games we have won more points than any other team.

This is even more remarkable when you consider that these five games included Man U, L'pool, Spurs and B'Ham away. Maybe someone has already pointed this out? Maybe I'm just plain wrong? To be honest I'm too busy scratching my balls to check my facts, so feel free to shoot me down if you know better.

Nick Farr, Hereford     Posted 31/10/2010 at 23:10:07

Comments

Philip McAvoy
1   Posted 01/11/2010 at 06:39:33

Sorry http://www.premierleague.com/page/FormGuide
We're fifth in the table for last 5 games - nice idea though
Daniel Hutchinson
2   Posted 01/11/2010 at 08:05:17

You are right, last 5 games we have 11 points joint with West Brom.

Last 6 we are fifth, but last 5 we top the form table.

Thomas Christensen
3   Posted 01/11/2010 at 09:00:40

Great stat Nick.
Paul O'Hanlon
4   Posted 01/11/2010 at 09:02:29

Sorry Nick, but your stat's getting even worse cos we didn't play Utd in our last 5 games either! But during those 5 games we've gone from bottom to 8th, just 4 pts off 4th with very winnable games against Blackpool and the uninspiring Bolton coming up.
Marc Williams
5   Posted 01/11/2010 at 10:07:08

I like a good stat but for once I'd prefer a good START !
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 01/11/2010 at 10:09:03

However Paul, a lot of posters will point out that we are are also only 4 points from the drop zone...... blue sky thinking that!
Liam Reilly
7   Posted 01/11/2010 at 10:25:57

3 wins, 2 Draws and only 1 goal conceeded in the last 5 games.

But to read some of the comments on here (paticularly the comments on the Stoke game), you would think it was all doom and gloom.
Matthew Mackey
8   Posted 01/11/2010 at 10:41:57

Doesn't matter how good our stats are, we'll still get scant recognition from that smug git Lineker and we'll still be on last every Saturday night. So don't get too excited.

PS: On the subject of Lineker does anyone know of any other ex-Everton player who irritates them more than him? I'd be interested to hear !
Paul O'Hanlon
9   Posted 01/11/2010 at 10:51:20

Matthew... McMahon and Barmby!

Tony, good point. Guess when results are going your way you only look up.
Liam Reilly
10   Posted 01/11/2010 at 11:17:44

Matthew #8
Lineker only played at Everton for one season and is on record as saying; "that was the best fottball team he had ever played with", but it doesn't give him much of an affinity with the club.
I don't think he slags the club off and I'm pretty sure its not up to him what order the matches are shown on Saturday nights.

Andy Gray is more annoying to me, if I hear him call Gerrard "The Skipper" one more fucking time... Even when he's commentating on the blues he shows very little sentiment towards the club.
Tony J Williams
11   Posted 01/11/2010 at 13:12:40

Liam, I am with you all the way on Andy Gray. Can't effing stand him.

Listen to him next time there is a game between a Sky darling team and a lower team. There will be an exact same incident for a penalty/free kick and for the under dogs it will be "He made a meal of that, hardly touched him" yet for the darling team "there was deffinitely some contact, enough to see him over"

fekken irritates me.......and breathe
Rob Magee
12   Posted 01/11/2010 at 13:21:55

Andy Gray without doubt for me, there are a number of other ex players I don't like. Yet it is only this smug, Steven Gerrard loving nobhead that I have to endure week in week out. It pains me too say but I prefer ex redshites Hansen, Lawrenson, Beglin and Redknapp.
Norman Merrill
13   Posted 01/11/2010 at 13:30:43

Liam Reilly, Your comments on Andy Gray are spot on, It wont be long before he admits that he supported the shite as a boy, ie Keane, Bellamey
Johnson, Pennant, and the poison dwarf Barmby.
I had some friends over from the states, who watched the Bolton game on Sunday, at my home, and they thought he was a ex shite player the way he sucks up to them, during commentary
Michael Brien
14   Posted 01/11/2010 at 14:22:06

How about Wayne Rooney !!?? Sorry if that triggers off any "bitter blue" feedback. It's more of a case of being very bitter at this recent " isn't he/is he going to sign a new contract for manchester United. As a public sector worker - with no pay rise for the next 2 years I wonder does this bloke live in the real world ?

I would not put all footballers into this "selfish and self obssessed" category. However if there's one player who epitomises the very worst traits of the "modern" sportsman it's Wayne Rooney. People like Rooney & Tyger Woods seem to have forgotten what it was that made them famous in the first place - their skills at their chosen sport.

I really hope he never comes back to Goodison - skilful yes but a money grabbing selfish git first and foremost. He is lost in a team sport.
Eugene Ruane
15   Posted 01/11/2010 at 14:49:45

I think Phil Neville should have a couple of little spells in every game where he picks another Everton player, they stand about a foot from each other, then pass the ball to each other 10 or 15 times, dead fast.

This would be great for a couple of reasons.

1) It would make Evertonians smile to see him pissing Sky's 'most completed passes' list.

2) It would prove what a load of utter wank most stats are.

Actually..erm,,come to think of it, probably safer to make it six inches.
Paul O'Hanlon
16   Posted 01/11/2010 at 09:02:29

James Peter
17   Posted 01/11/2010 at 16:04:23

Tony #6

We are 4 points from the Champions League places too. Lets keep that Glass half full hey kid!
Ian Campbell
18   Posted 01/11/2010 at 16:23:48

Agree about Andy Gray - no-one's mentioned yet though that he used Everton as a pawn to get a better contract at sky sports too - twat

I know that he has to try to be impartial but he's gone too far the other way and if it wasn't richard keys asking him the odd question about it you'd never know that he played for us let alone won all of those trophies.

As for the stat (the Man Utd bit excepted) I guess we'll know if thats true later on tonight, anything less than a WBA and it will be true (I think) plus we won 2 of those 3 wins by 2 goals so technically true on GD I guess unless WBA win by a good few tonight.
David Price
19   Posted 01/11/2010 at 17:14:01

Not too bothered about Andy Gray's abilities as a pundit, all that bothered me is the guy gave his all in a Blue shirt and helped drag the club from going no-where to Champions.
Sorry guys but he's an Everton legend.
Tony J Williams
20   Posted 01/11/2010 at 17:15:32

James, I'm with you fella. I was just pointing out that other posters, no matter where we are, will always point out the worst aspect of something.

I am an apologist/optimist dontchaknow??
Antony Matthews
21   Posted 01/11/2010 at 17:33:58

There is no one and i mean NO ONE that is biased towards his team than that two hat Alan Green on 5 live. On Sunday when they were playing Bolton every time a Bolton player made a tackle it was deemed a certain foul , He is so full of shit its unbelievable !

Robert Daniels
22   Posted 01/11/2010 at 18:45:07

Dave @19,

Spot on about gray, he is an Everton legend.

After his goal into the street end, against Bayern, he said the fans sucked the ball into the net.

He was great, no doubt about that, when Kendall sold him, he didnt want to leave, but new he wouldnt get a game.

I also think he knows the game inside out, and is a good pundit.
Ray Robinson
23   Posted 01/11/2010 at 20:28:08

Here's a good stat that will astound you all - it did me. In 48 matches away from home in the PL, Spurs have not beaten United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. Seems Redknapp and predecessors are as "clueless" as Moyes. Cue Moyes's negative tactics debate ......
Eric Myles
24   Posted 02/11/2010 at 01:28:15

I don't beleive any statistics that I didn't make up myself - Winston Churchill
Albert Perkins
25   Posted 02/11/2010 at 04:10:56

We will beat them on the bleachers, I mean the stands.
Zack Yusof
26   Posted 02/11/2010 at 06:28:14

Matthew #8: The most irritating ex- players has to be Steve McMahon hands down... never has a good word to say about Everton...a typical smug RS lover with scant knowledge of the game. Worst thing is, he's on tele almost every week here in Asia as ESPN's resident British football 'expert."
Thomas James
27   Posted 02/11/2010 at 08:37:17

Bearing in mind that West Brom lost last night, making their last 5 game points haul 8, we are top on our own.
Tony J Williams
28   Posted 02/11/2010 at 09:01:04

Eric, 58% of statistics are made up on the spot (Copyright Vic Reeves)
Matthew Mackey
29   Posted 02/11/2010 at 12:56:48

I generally agree with the comments made about Andy Grey and that you'd never believe he actually played for us once. But I don't see him as being smug. Bias yes, smug ...no. He was a great player for us and i'll never forget the contribution he made to our team in that 84-85 season.

The point I was making about Lineker is that, as much as I appreciate his 40 goal contribution over just one season back in 85-86, I find this individual in his current role of presenting MOTD as being a smug git, irritating and a bit anti Everton.

Paul #9 ;- I forgot about judas Barnby. I wouldn't give him the steam of my piss.
Trevor Lynes
30   Posted 02/11/2010 at 16:00:35

Talking of stats..football according to todays pundits only began with the premier league...what about the TWENTY SEVEN years between 1967 and 1994 when MAN UTD did not win the title....that is never mentioned..Liverpool as a city has won more titles than any other city in the English league...Reds 18 and Blues 9.....they are facts and not just stats.
Prabhat Mukherjea
31   Posted 03/11/2010 at 09:48:28

@ Zack: I am not too sure that's a fair comment. Its true he loves the RS, but I don't think he's unfair to us. During the derby he was all praise for us, and lambasting them for lacking passion and desire. Also, it might not be saying much, but he certainly knows more about football then Shebby SIngh, John Dykes and crew..