Need for Russian roubles...

In the pre-season, I have to admit I was one of many suggesting and hoping that Diniyar Bilyaletdinov was going to be a key player for us this season. While there is still a lot of time (and room) for improvement, I fear that we cannot really afford to have a £9M passenger who, if anything, has shown less in his second season than his first.

I have no doubt that Bily is a talented player and will do well somewhere but I'm not convinced it is with Everton in the Premier League.

The main problem is that I think it is clear he is not a winger; his pace of foot and thought is not quick enough. He could do well in the centre but is behind Cahill, Arteta, Fellaini, Heitinga and Rodwell amongst others for the central berths.

If we could recoup all or a lot of the £9M we paid for him, presumably by flogging him back to one of the rich Russian clubs, then we could buy a pacy winger or perhaps a goalscoring forward that we are screaming out for.

In no way would I be unhappy to see Bily stay; I do believe he has talent in those boots. But I also believe that, if we are to climb the table this season, we will need another player or two to come in in January. Perhaps a seasoned goalscoring Premier League winger such as N'Zogbia?
Sam Hoare, London     Posted 07/11/2010 at 13:33:18

Comments

Joseph Strumm
1   Posted 07/11/2010 at 15:54:27

I have every doubt Bily's a talented player and would be unhappy to see him stay. He obviously can't cope with the pace or physicality of the Premier League and shows no desire at all. We should get rid ASAP. We've got no chance of recouping even half the fee we paid but I'd take anything we could get. There's talk of Baxter going out on loan ? give the kid a chance ahead of the Russian waste of a shirt.
Dean Adams
2   Posted 07/11/2010 at 18:10:17

Just about sums up how I feel toward Bily. So much potential yet seemingly not so much passion as yet!!

N'Zogbia would be a great addition but probably out of our league in terms of affordability.
Brian Waring
3   Posted 07/11/2010 at 18:51:55

I've mentioned it before, but did anyone from the club actually go and watch Bily? He played behind the striker for his last club, and also for Russia, we then sign him, and then it's the Moyes syndrome of square peg in round hole with him.

John Daley
4   Posted 07/11/2010 at 18:48:04

I think it's been clear for some time that Bily can't come to terms with the pace of the Premier League and his confidence is shot to pieces. He constantly seems sluggish and slow to react. In the recent Spurs game it looked like he'd took to the pitch immediately after sinking the worlds biggest bong in the dressing room. He's just totally off the pace and looks like he doesn't know where he is and what he's actually supposed to be doing there.

Apart from the fact he's got a cracking shot on him, he's nothing but a passenger at the moment.
Tony McNulty
5   Posted 07/11/2010 at 19:58:37

But in the flashes of brilliance we have seen, and some of the wonderful touches, don't you just feel if League, he would be a real star?

What I don't know is whether the gaffer has decided he is another Krøldrup, or whether he will stubbornly persevere until Bily Ale comes good, or it becomes clear he will never cut the mustard. I would give it a while longer personally. It would seem sad if it transpires that we cannot harness such talent.
Jeremy Benson
6   Posted 07/11/2010 at 20:48:01

He was a successful player in Russia, and a developing career on the international stage; Guus Hiddink thought he was the kiddie.

Maybe, instead of castigating him, we should wonder why he isn't performing to his usual standard, and fulfilling his potential. And help him achieve that.

Personally, I think he has a great touch and an eye for goal. But his confidence needs a little work, and he needs a run of games. I am confident that given a run of games ? he'll be fine. We've been here before with Fellaini...

Its not easy for foreign players to settle into a new environment, different language, holed up in Liverpool...
Brian Waring
7   Posted 07/11/2010 at 21:45:59

Maybe if we played him in his proper position, we may see the real Bily.
Steve Sweeney
8   Posted 07/11/2010 at 21:54:46

Why does Moyes buy a player and then play him out of position? Heitinga is a centre-half. He played Fellaini out of position until injuries forced his hand, the guy cannot make a decision and knows only one way to play.
Iain Love
9   Posted 07/11/2010 at 21:55:48

In recent years Landon is the only one from abroad who settled into the prem straight away, Bily needs time , and probably some pro plus. It seems everyone nowdays wants instant sucess, tell you what, proper coffee takes longer to make but it's a lot better than that instant stuff.
Jamie Sweet
10   Posted 07/11/2010 at 23:15:24

I agree he probably needs a decent run in the team. However, when you come on as a sub, you have to play well enough to warrant some regular first team action. Prime example is Coleman. The lad played so well, and showed us some great moments after coming on as a sub which had everyone crying out for him to play from the start.

Bily needs to make Moyes want to pick him. Coming on and looking like you're scared shitless / can't be arsed, really isn't the way to do that.

If we could get anywhere near what we payed for him in January (although I doubt that very much), I would be inclined to get rid, despite his undoubted technical ability.
James Stewart
11   Posted 07/11/2010 at 23:54:54

Complete waste of money
Steve O'Malley
12   Posted 08/11/2010 at 03:38:26

When you think what $9M might get you at the moment, it just makes you cringe. I cannot help but feel that, when he is on, it's like playing 10 men. When he comes on as a sub, I cannot imagine there are too many people (if any) that applaud the move. You are never going to recoup $9M for him so cut your losses and fire-sale him in January.
Allan Barratt
13   Posted 08/11/2010 at 09:26:11

People keep saying he should play in the middle of the park but he's shit scared to go near anyone. He's too slow to play in the middle, you need to be sharp or have some balls.

Ship him out in January!!

Jimmy Hacking
14   Posted 08/11/2010 at 10:46:48

His attitude stinks. It angers me when people make excuses for him. He needs to get off his arse, or disappear back to the Motherland, periodically showing up to score wonder goals in the Champions League.
Peter Warren
15   Posted 08/11/2010 at 13:30:14

His attitude and performances are lacklustre at the minute. However, he does have class and an eye for goal and I will not judge him until he gets a run in the team. I've seen some good players for us who have looked useless at first but once they have a run have proved me wrong. Parkinson and Jags spring to mind.

I would be happy to see him start for say 10 games on the bounce and then judge him.

Tony J Williams
16   Posted 08/11/2010 at 13:42:01

The problem is, Peter, that, unless there is an injury issue, Bily will not start many games. He is the Russian McFadden at the moment: big hype, scores impressive goals... then disappears for 20 minutes
Richard Parker
17   Posted 08/11/2010 at 13:10:06

Bily's got natural ability in abundance, but it's not working for whatever reason. He could still come good and Moyes does bring him on, so he's not decided that Bily's a Krøldrup...

I think if he didn't have the right attitude, Moyes would have dropped him in the middle of Siberia personally.

I hope he'll come good, cos we'd be lucky to get half a Hibbo in return for him at the moment.