Kicking the Ball Right

David Moyes says ?its about time someone got on the end of a corner kick?, but it will take the Manager of the Month for October to realise it's about time Arteta cleared the first man on both free kicks and corners.

Also, it would be nice to recognise most teams play a deep defensive line knowing we?re impotent in and around the box. Knowing that none of our players likes to or cannot take a pop from distance must give them all kinds of confidence to sit back.

Also #2, if Cahill can?t muster the effort needed for his corner flag routine maybe he should think of a new one. Perhaps picking the ball out of the net and running back to the centre circle knowing there?s still work to be done. I swear we must be the one team in the PL who doesn?t get a confidence boost from scoring a goal. Two, yes, but how often are we two up?

Also #3, I hope we rip apart Bolton tonight. Something has pissed me right off today, not a clue what it is but the Blues better make me happy!!!!
Nick Entwistle, London     Posted 10/11/2010 at 10:05:13

Comments

David Thomas
1   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:17:49

"Also #2, if Cahill can?t muster the effort needed for his corner flag routine maybe he should think of a new one. Perhaps picking the ball out of the net and running back to the centre circle knowing there?s still work to be done"

???
David Price
2   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:19:17

Blimey Nick, having a go at a goal celebration... I'm too busy screaming my head off to care what they do.

I posted after the Stoke game about us not looking dangerous at corners, Is Moyes reading TW by any chance? Nah, I was after all stating the obvious anyway.

As for your bad mood at 10 in the morning and not sure why... Easy: you must be on a diet and sick to death of Special K.

Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:31:29

DP, you're not far from the truth. And the boiler's not working... I'll add more to the list later.
Andrew Ellams
4   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:39:50

I'd had two huge rants at my boss by 11:00 today so we'll have to stick 6 past Bolton tonight to turn my day around
Tony J Williams
5   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:47:27

Pissing myself laughing at number two. One Hell of a bad day for you to get worked up about that.
Tony J Williams
6   Posted 10/11/2010 at 14:48:27

To be fair, the lads I was with commented that Arteta had seemingly done away with the near post corner against Blackpool.

Still nothing doing though and Baines's were just as bad.
Jay Harris
7   Posted 10/11/2010 at 15:38:18

Let's bring Andy Hinchcliffe out of retirement to train them how to take corner kicks.

It always amazes me how professionals do not train in specifics.

Case in point: Rory Delap has been taking enormous throw-ins for years which is surely a matter of practice yet no other team/player has emulated him.

In these days of tight games teams need a trick or two to get goals but I don't see any initiatives at EFC.
Jon Cox
8   Posted 10/11/2010 at 16:06:55

After Bolton's demolition of Spurs at the weekend, I'm not looking forward to this game.

Not even worried about the corners. We have to get a striker who can shoot and know where the net is first.

I'm in the "every silver linning has a cloud" zone at the moment...
Norman Merrill
9   Posted 10/11/2010 at 16:18:18

Nick, I mentioned on a previous mailbag that it's about time other players started to get on the goal trail, instead of leaving it to Tim Cahill to score. As I mentioned then, I don't expect them to go gung ho, but a little shoot on sight would not do any harm as we look as if they all want to walk it in.
Jay Harris
10   Posted 10/11/2010 at 16:31:02

The problem is we have a midfield that is incapable of scoring regularly.

How many goals a season could you imagine Pienaar, Heitinga or Arteta scoring? Compare that with Lampard and Gerrard.

Quality counts... and we haven't got it in front of goal.
Rob Sawyer
11   Posted 10/11/2010 at 16:56:44

This has reminded me that I often wonder why very few players try to take corners like Andy Hinchcliffe. They were whipped, left-footed, to the far post at great pace then an attacker was virtually stood on the goal-line to nod it in. It happeneed loads when he was at City (often David White nodding in) and then latterly at Everton. A very effective tool but you hardly ever see it delivered in this way by anyone else. Strange....
Tom Bowers
12   Posted 10/11/2010 at 22:25:09

This is a disease among top paid players today ? not being able to lift a ball into the danger area. Saw a lot of it again today in 3 games that I watched. What they are doing in training must be questioned. Fitness is one thing but technique is another.

If I were a tallish striker awaiting a good cross, even from corners, I would be very depressed with what is going on with wide players today. I guess Beckham set the bar too high even for the likes of Baines and Cole etc.