Howard Tired???

Can someone explain how a goalkeeper, yes a goalkeeper, the guy that STANDS around in his goalmouth for the majority of the game ? can blame tiredness for some inept performances this season???

Oh sorry I forgot to throw in the 2hrs training 4 days a week. Stop playing the X-Box, Timmy. Go to bed early. You've got work in the morning. Well ... some mornings!!!
Rob Murphy, Cork, Rep of Ireland     Posted 10/11/2010 at 18:23:15

Comments

Nick Entwistle
1   Posted 10/11/2010 at 20:45:48

Yeah but who wants to play in goal? It's really boring and Moyes doesn't allow rush, so he's kinda stuck there.
Dave Smith
2   Posted 10/11/2010 at 20:42:29

Being a goalkeeper can be physical. When you're busy, and jumping around it does get tiring. But it's when your muscles get tired that you feel it the most. When the mind is willing but the body just won't respond quick enough, or in the way that you want it to. That is fatal for a 'keeper.

However, I do agree with you on one thing Rob; it's not the 90 minutes a game that's making him tired. If it is, then he isn't fit enough to start. I suspect that it's his training regime that needs cutting down. Goalkeepers can push themselves harder than outfield players at times. Just ask Neville Southall!
Des Farren
3   Posted 10/11/2010 at 21:07:50

Yeah, "non-stop football" and Howard "facing a challenge" did catch my eye... That's pressure!
Jarrod Prosser
4   Posted 10/11/2010 at 22:08:13

It's mental tiredness. A keeper's only real chance to switch off in a game is a corner up the other end of the ground. Even then, they have to be ready for a quick clearance to come their way.

Having said that, he is a professional so he should be prepared.

Personally, I think it's just Moyes throwing something out there for the American to think about. Get him re-engaged.
Mike Allison
5   Posted 10/11/2010 at 22:36:52

Mental tiredness.

Your brain uses more energy than the rest of your body (or something like that).

Concentration is a key goalkeeping asset.

Not that I think it should be a big deal mind, give Mucha a game and see how tired Tim feels then.
Kevin Hudson
6   Posted 11/11/2010 at 00:12:34

I blame the twitch..
Sega Kana
7   Posted 11/11/2010 at 01:34:36

After last night's match, Howard should be benched and Mucha given a run. No point having an international keeper on the bench and not use him when the Number 1 is flapping more often than not.
Michael Kenrick
8   Posted 11/11/2010 at 06:26:40

Sega, He's not the Number 1, though. He's the Number 24.

Mucha is the Number 1.
Mark Hill
9   Posted 11/11/2010 at 07:35:49

Does it not say that Moyes fears he is suffering from tiredness ? not the player himself...?!!?!?
Tony J Williams
10   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:04:25

Not exactly sure what he did wrong last night, Sega.
Jamie Morgan
11   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:11:47

He did fine last night, his defence let him down for the goal.

I am a keeper and I train just as hard as anyone in my team. Concentration and reflexes are key, muscle work is needed for speed and I ask any outfield player just to give it a 45-min go one time and you'll be blowing out your ass by half time!

Maybe he does need a break, only he knows, but we have an international keeper on the bench so it's more likely a friendly kick up the bum for Tim.

Tony Cheek
12   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:33:07

I say give Mucha a chance now.... I keep looking at the Bolton goal and cannot understand why he didn't come out and cut the ball off before it got to Klasnic. Perhaps he thought that Jags, who made no effort to get in front of that cross, would handle it ....should never have been scored!!
Max Main
13   Posted 11/11/2010 at 11:18:45

I'd love for Moyes to give Mucha a run in goal for a few games. Then some people here might start to appreciate Tim Howard.
Daniel Johnson
14   Posted 11/11/2010 at 12:22:18

90% of goalkeeping is in the head so tiredness will obviously have an effect. It's about concentration and positioning and making sound judgements. But Howard was let go by Man Utd as:

A) Fergie lost faith in him;
B) They were concerned by his mental health problems.

I'm not kicking Howard, he's a solid average keeper ? no more. But, if I was sepnding money on the Everton team right now, it would be on a goalscorer, not a new man between the sticks.
Craig Taylor
15   Posted 11/11/2010 at 12:53:27

Has Howard picked up a Scottish accent, I could have sworn that it was Moyes who said Howard was tired, rather than the big man himself.
Shaun Brennan
16   Posted 11/11/2010 at 14:28:31

I'd go as far as sugesting that having Mucha in goal would be more probmatic than Howard's tiredness.
Jimmy Hacking
17   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:14:29

I agree with Max (13). I can't wait for Mucha to make a mistake five or six games into his career and you bloody pack of wolves to all turn on him.
Mike Gaynes
18   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:42:46

Well said, Craig #13... the original post is based on a false premise. Howard has never made an excuse for anything, not once.

And Tony #12, if you want to see Mucha in our goal, you must not have watched him during the World Cup. Talk about flapping... argh.
Keith Skidmore
19   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:49:11

I've been watching Tim warming up before games for a while now and I've got to say at the moment his body language is all wrong.
He's spilling everything that kicked at him, Woodsey seems to be taking a bit out of his kicks and Mucha is giving him a really hard time! I think Mucha can sense that maybe he's quite close to forcing a start, thing is has Moyesie got the balls to drop one of his favourites?

Daniel #14, got to agree with you mate most of it's in his head. He's indecisive when it comes to decisions on whether to claim corners, come out to intercept through balls and it's having a knock-on effect with the defence. They don't know when he's coming out for a ball or whether he wants a back pass! At least when big Nev was in goal the defence knew what he was going to do, his decision making on the whole was exceptional, if it was possible to claim a cross he'd flatten anyone who stood in his way! He always came out and narrowed the angles, he'd beat shots away for throw-ins, not back into the danger zone... suppose thats Tim's other floor, he's just not imposing enough!
Any forward going in on a 50-50 with a keeper should be fearing coming out second best, I doubt any fear being "clattered" by Tim?  Thing is Mucha's frame doesn't look too dissimilar!