A Little Time

For a while now, following the Mailbag threads, all I've been reading is how Beckford is out of his league and, well, "shit" is the term generally being thrown about.

The more sensible posters on here have pointed out he's been here all of five minutes, has often either played up front on his own or had 10/15 minutes on the pitch to make an impact, and that he's stepped up from a much lower level of football. Now, after that stunning goal right at the death, can people perhaps stop being idiots and give the lad a chance to adapt? He won't do that every week, but he's capable of it. Given our poor choice of strikers at the moment, we should be cheering on a young lad who cost us nothing and is costing us peanuts in wages.

Everton generally are playing fantastic football with no killer instinct in front of goal. Whilst Beckford may not be the complete answer to this problem, I find it unbelievably harsh that he's dismissed as a joke after about an hours worth of football as part of a front two partnership in the Everton shirt!
Lee Kidd, Liverpool     Posted 10/11/2010 at 21:57:16

Comments

Eugene Ruane
1   Posted 11/11/2010 at 01:08:42

Agree completely (even without tonight's goal) - crazy talk on here re Beckford, especially when he's played so little and especially as there are so many in front of him genuinely deserving of a good kick up the arse (imo).
Sega Kana
2   Posted 11/11/2010 at 01:37:45

Not all strikers can play on their own as Moyes demands. That was a superb goal from the top corner of the box a la Torres. Remember, it took Yak almost a season to learn to play alone up front so to expect Beckford to do that in a few games is unrealistic.

My fuss is with Moyes for continuously playing 4-5-1 and trying to accommodate his favourite MF players. Well done, Beckford.

Paul Olsen
3   Posted 11/11/2010 at 02:01:54

Whoop-de-doo! Beckford scored a goal, and it's only November.
Alex Kociuba
4   Posted 11/11/2010 at 02:00:51

"He won't do that every week, but he's capable of it."

I don't think you'll find many who disagree it was a good goal, but I think in reality most Evertonians still think he's shit. One of the best goals in recent times at Goodison was James McFadden's (Vs Charlton?). He too doesn't do it every week, but he's capable of it.
Alex Kociuba
5   Posted 11/11/2010 at 02:05:33

Fantastic!
Keith Edmunds
6   Posted 11/11/2010 at 04:02:30

Anyone got a link for Beckford's goal?
Richard Harris
7   Posted 11/11/2010 at 04:12:34

Jermaine Beckford saves the day when more experienced and expensive strikers are mis-firing. However he's not a lone striker and needs to learn playing alongside better forwards to improve his game.

Remember Lukas Jutkiewicz? Here's a goal he scored for Motherwell.

Keith Edmunds
8   Posted 11/11/2010 at 04:20:24

Found one,
Bily looks too shagged to celebrate!
Michael Brien
9   Posted 11/11/2010 at 07:19:22

Beckford hasn't exactly set the Premier League alight - but that's something that has happened to other players who then go on to do very well. Berbatov was being dismissed as a poor signing last season however look at his goal scoring record for Manchester United now - more than that fella that has the dodgy ankle and even more dodgy notion of marital loyalty.

A few years ago now we signed a couple of strikers Peter Eastoe and Brian Kidd - in March 1979. Well whilst Kidd scored goals at a decent rate Peter Eastoe didn't - at first that is, because after a move to midfield he was reverted back to striker. We were certainly very thankful of his goals back in 1980-81 as without them we would certainly have been relegated. Eastoe had a poor start to his Everton career as a striker, but persistence paid off and he proved a sucess and one of the few players worth watching in a poor team.

Beckford has only been at Goodison a few months. Give the bloke a chance. I hardly think the 4-5-1 system we play ,with very little service other than Arteta ,does him any favours. David Moyes doesn't know how to get the best out of his strikers - if he had been in charge in Lineker's time he would have played him as a wide midfielder and we would have seen him score around 15 goals.

It's all very well blaming the strikers try looking at the defensive safety first tactics of Mr Moyes. Try some variety in your tactics David - you are too predictable.
Kevin Hudson
10   Posted 11/11/2010 at 08:25:07

Some ToffeeWebbers' wrote him off even before a ball was kicked! But to be fair, he hasn't looked the part-yet.

I think it is about confidence. The goal demonstrated he clearly has the technique & instinct, hopefully he can kick-on.

Unless you're Seamus Coleman, Goodison can be a difficult & complex crowd to win over, as Bily is finding out, and as Fellaini, who, despite an imperious game, was getting dogs abuse (for the red card) by the Lower Gwladys, while The Paddock were applauding him!!
Alan McGuffog
11   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:22:59

Thank God Beckford was able to step up to the plate. Our other goal machines, ( King...oh dear ) Louis, and the Yak are playing on a par with Bily.

Only on ToffeeWeb could you find criticism of a player who comes on as a sub and saves a point.

Matt Traynor
12   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:13:55

Another player we signed had an indifferent start, but my how we were grateful to him in the end. Promising England Schoolboy, ended up rescuing him from Rangers Reserves (where he was playing at centre back) ? Paul Rideout.
Graham Holliday
13   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:46:36

I'll tell you what ? we could probably do worse than play him wide right. He's got pace and direct running, which are the two things we're crying out for in that position... if Moyes doesn't see Coleman as the answer.
Lee Hind
14   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:44:24

+1 Alan #11

Unbelievable criticism for the lad when he deserves all the plaudits.

These are the stats from the Bolton game:

26 Total Shots 11
6 Shots on Target 3
10 Fouls 12
15 Corner Kicks 10
2 Offsides 2
64% Possession 36%
0 Yellow Cards 2
1 Red Cards 0
2 Saves 5

To me they suggest we bossed it and that Moyes's changes were not totally unsuccessful. With regard to them, I prefer to think that he recognised our issue of bossing games and not scoring enough and changed it round ? ok, it didn't work in as much as the trend continued but at least he tried to change it!!

On another thread, a poster suggested that if Saha pulled on the shirt again he'd return his season ticket... did Saha not force 2 goal line clearances? (I admit to only seeing highlights.)

When other teams struggle for goals but get points regardless it's seen as a gritty performance, why with us do our own support insist on seeing the same as a cause to shout for the manager to be sacked?!?!!?

Seems to be far too much criticism and not enough support within our fanbase.
Howard Don
15   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:51:21

If last night's stunner from Beckford taught us anything it's that he's a striker who needs to be facing the opposition goal, not with his back to it as a lone target man. But then I think we already knew that, every time he gets the ball facing the opposition goal he looks to have only one thing on his mind.

The problem that raises is how to accomodate hime, which in turn reignites the whole 4-4-2, 4-5-1 debate. I'd still see him as an impact sub for the foreseeable future while he builds PL nouse and confidence.

Chris Fisher
16   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:01:57

He's a goalscorer, simple as that, and should play like he did for Leeds for us, on the shoulder of the last man, much like AJ did for Palace before he joined us and spent most of his time here sprinting towards the corner flag!!
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:53:28

One swallow does not a summer make........ my missus told me that....
Duncan McDine
18   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:09:42

Nice one Tony (16)... that cracked me up!

Keith (8) - Bily wasn't on the pitch when he scored... you probably mean Coleman looked too shagged to celebrate - but would you have written it if you knew it wasn't actually one of the players we can all have a go at? (lBeckford, Bily, Ossie, Hibbo, Neville etc!). I doubt it.

I agree we should give Becks a bit more time, but cameo roles is all I see him playing. Great goal though.

What was the general feeling about Bily's performance? He seemed to have a lot of chances, but couldn't stick anything away.
Duncan McDine
19   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:09:42

Nice one Tony (16)... that cracked me up!

Andy Roberts
20   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:43:31

I posted on here about two months ago saying a striker is only as good as the service he gets. Beckford showed that facing the goal with the ball at his feet he can do the business.

My bigger concern is what is up with Arteta. He would be expected to be the provider of decent service to the front man (whoever is playing). I would seriously consider dropping Arteta and giving Rodwell a run in centre-mid. Arteta is becoming predictable in his movement and passing range. His execution of free kicks and corners is dreadful.

At least towards the end of the game it seemed that the penny had finally dropped and Baines was taking the corners. Don't get me wrong: Arteta is still quality I think he may just need a wake up call and I think Rodwell deserves a run in the first team.

Jimmy Hacking
21   Posted 11/11/2010 at 10:58:46

I'm sorry Lee, but this post is ridiculous, stick ME upfront for Everton and I'll eventually score at least ONE goal...

The reason why so many have been critical of Beckford (myself included) is that he doesn't appear to be good enough to play in the Premier League. I sincerely hope I am wrong. We are not doom-mongers who enjoy sniping at our own players (well, most of us!) we simply want to watch a strong Everton line-up who will challenge for honours. And for me, that doesn't include Beckford.

The fact is, the lad HAS had plenty of chances already and he hasn't impressed. This is the Premier League, we can't afford to wait for him to come good all bloody season.
Lee Hind
22   Posted 11/11/2010 at 11:07:11

Jimmy, I'm not saying the lad is beyond criticism - I'm not even saying that he's good enough for the PL. What I am saying is that when a player comes on as a sub with 10/15 mins to go and rescues a point from a game we looked to have lost, that is a cause for happiness not criticism.

Still, each to their own.
Chris Perry
23   Posted 11/11/2010 at 12:31:04

Honestly, what a joke. Wow! Beckford scores his first Premier League goal in November!!!!! If he scores more that 5 Premier League goals this season then I shall eat my shirt. There is no chance, last night was a fluke.
Norman Merrill
24   Posted 11/11/2010 at 12:24:51

Andy Roberts ? You're so right in your view of Arteta, he flatters to deceive at times. Gone is the thru ball to split defences, it's the old Ray Wilkins style... or better known as the crab movement, from left to right and back again. Even his corners and free kicks always find the first defender, no variation in play.

I feel that he is too predictable. But I must point out that he is not alone. If you remember, the corner & free kicks taken by especially Taylor for Bolton caused us all sorts of problems.

Tom Bowers
25   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:08:30

Funnily enough the shots statistic is identical to the Blackpool game which was another 2 points dropped. The goalscoring is woeful and is a product of the system that Moyes employs which is to win games 1-0 and has proved to be a flop.

Defensively we have performed well despite a couple of gaffs by Howard but if our scoring ratio or shots on target ratio doesn't improve then we will stay mid-table and struggle to win games...

Sure Becks,Yaks and Saha will score occasionally but not enough to see us win any games convincingly. Midfield contribution needs to improve greatly.

Jim Preston
26   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:21:20

Beckford 1 - Moaners 0
HA!
James Kerfoot
27   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:24:24

I think the thing that's becoming evident again is that we have once again entered a season with a bunch of strikers who simply aren't up to it.

Saha on his day can be as good as Drogba/Torres, but his injury record is continuing here to no surprise, and he is becoming a passenger.

Yakubu in his last two seasons for Middlesborough and the 20-goal season for us was a real class striker and I feel that, regardless of the injury or not, he has lost that extra yard of pace that allowed him to beat defenders and finish.

Beckford is untried and unproven, but you simply can't throw a player of his experience into a Premier League match, so in my opinion, at the moment, he's not up to it.

Elsewhere, we have the two young lads in Anichebe and Gueye, but again they are unproven and need time to develop in the Reserves/Carling Cup games.

Seriously I believe we would be better off playing Cahill as the striker with Bily behind him, as at the moment Cahill is the only one who can find the net on a regular basis.

Moyes seriously needs to look for the funds to bring in a top-class 20- goal-a-season striker who has a minimal injury record and a hunger for goals.

Tony J Williams
28   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:40:57

"Funnily enough the shots statistic is identical to the Blackpool game which was another 2 points dropped. The goalscoring is woeful and is a product of the system that Moyes employs which is to win games 1-0 and has proved to be a flop"

So 20 attempts on goal is your way of suggesting we are trying to sneak a 1-0 win? How does that work then?
Tony J Williams
29   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:44:37

James, he can look all he wants but the sad truth is that he will never find it.
Mikey John
30   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:48:35

Guys, ok I admit last night was so frustrating (and bloody freezing) however, I feel someone is going to get a spanking soon. I agree we need to convert this pressure and dominance into goals. I think Becks should get some confidence from the goal and what a goal.

My problem lies with the team choice... BILLY IS SHITE, hate him... unload in January, he doesn't look interested; Fellaini back in for Jonny ? who hasn't been playing badly? Also Yak, who is starting to find some form, dropped?? Explain that...

Stephen Kenny
31   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:52:41

With the right service he would score plenty of goals. Sadly for him, Moyes's tactics and our shithouse midfield, who wouldn't recognize a through ball if it hit them in the face, will never play to his strengths and he will end up looking a headless chicken as he chases around desperate to try and get involved, a la AJ.
Dave Southon
32   Posted 11/11/2010 at 13:56:56

"We should be cheering on a young lad who cost us nothing and is costing us peanuts in wages."

I am still sitting firmly on my fence in respect to Beckford, but one thing I will point out is that he is hardly "a young lad". Jermaine Beckford is 26 years old and turns 27 next month so should be hitting prime any time soon ? Fingers crossed.
Andrew Gilbert
33   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:09:16

Spot on, Lee!
Roy Haygarth
34   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:35:54

Beckford has played a total of 250 minutes for Everton in the Premier League so far. Less than three full games so not a terrible start.

On MOTD it looked like he celebrated on his own though. Is he not popular with the rest of the team or did the BBC edit out the piley on?
Ged Simpson
35   Posted 11/11/2010 at 17:09:17

Out of all this post match comment - some moaning about Moyes, some moaning about Beckford and Saha, some moaning about Moyes and his contribution to the cuts.......

the guy who seems to be generally unrecognised is Baines.

He was brilliant and there was no goal without him.

Sorry.....was almost positive there about one of our players.

Will try and stop that.
Jon Cox
36   Posted 11/11/2010 at 17:46:42

Spot on Ged Bains was great last night.@ Roy,

" Is he not popular with the rest of the team " I'm sure it was probably to do with the fact everyone was knackered and couldn't chase him at that stage of the game.

I would like to see Vaughan back, to have him in a partnership with beckford up front a sort of Cole / Yorke thing that Utd exploited so well back along.

And if our midfield could not supply these lads then get a midfield that could.

One thing about Arteta. If you remember a few seasons ago we were having a go at him for his woefull dead ball kicks and it turned out that he'd had a groin problem. I'm only hoping that this is not re-occuring.
Jon Cox
37   Posted 11/11/2010 at 18:11:28

Heres a question, how many people on here would rather have had Mcfaddon in the side last night than Billy?

Count me in.
Gavin Ramejkis
38   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:17:11

Jon, the way Bily wandered around cluelessly last night I'd take Mark Pembridge or Jonathon Fucking Creek Simon Davies over him
Tom Bowers
39   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:15:59

The bottom line is that the kind of goal attempts we have are not the kind that have any chance of going in. Poor shooting from poor players that miss the target will prove costly.
We are not playing fantastic football.If we were, we could be a lot more dangerous against these other ''mid-table teams''
The plan is always the same -hope to get a high ball to Cahill or Fellaini to create something and no plan ''B' after that.
David Price
40   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:28:51

It's unfair to blame Moyes for being negative. We should have got 5 on Saturday versus Blackpool and another 5 on Wednesday versus Bolton. The chances Bily and Saha missed does not adhere to cautious negative management, it was awful finishing.

Most of the lads on here do believe some-one will get a hiding, the problem lies with the players who don't share that belief. Respect to Beckford for having a go, could have played it safe with a cross into the 6 yard box but risked a Row Z effort and a complete slagging off, went for it with a blinder.

Great attitude from Baines, never gave up, but Jags, yet another individual error for the goal. Fellani was excellent, he'll learn and now it's Rodwell's chance against Wilshere and Arteta v Fabregas... Now that will be a measure of our two.

Ian Smitham
41   Posted 11/11/2010 at 21:25:52

Mr Andy Roberts.

I have just posted on Kens report. I thought i was the only one.

Big teams or the rough boys and where does senor 75 grand go?

I noticed that Beckford ran along the touchline to the box the players have hired and celebrated with others but not the players-hmmmm.

Last night i understood Yak was sore form saturday Coleman has played alot lately. not dropped.

To refer back to the thread, Baines was excellent last night, in the second half even Arteta motioned for him to take the corners.

He created the goal from hard work in the last of 93 minutes. He ran mile and him and the man we must sign are a real problem for other teams.

Only sad/down side is i think he is too small and if Bayern want him and the numbers (£12m) are right then we may have an issue. If i waere Bayern i would pay it and more for Baines and Pienaar as they are both eligable for CL and solve the left side of any teams problems. Good luck to them both, great players. fanatstic work rate (both) great skills and just a nightmare to defend against.

Steve Pugh
42   Posted 11/11/2010 at 22:06:28

To this day Chelsea fans consider themselves lucky that nobody listened when they said Drogba was crap during his first season and a half.
Mike Green
43   Posted 12/11/2010 at 00:14:01

Jimmy Hacking - maybe, just maybe, you could score ONE goal for Everton. But I doubt it would be anywhere near as good as Beckfords last night. Maybe you could also score hatfuls in the lower leagues too.......

The boy's a proven goalscorer, he's ours and it's up to the management to get the best out of him.

I had a shit day yesterday and until about 10pm I thought that fucking tops it off. Then JB turned the whole thing around ? in style

Top Man ? has my complete support

Mikey John ? you're bob on, Bily's a mare, get rid.
Lee Kidd
44   Posted 12/11/2010 at 02:45:07

Jimmy, sure, I'd place real good money on you scoring a goal for Everton after just on three games worth of time on the pitch. Honest.
James Flynn
45   Posted 13/11/2010 at 02:45:36

Steve (42) - Of course that was before Dogba went on his "Fitness" program, his muscles started bulging, and his cranium kept growing bigger.

Whatever that "Fitness" program is, he amazingly won the Golden Boot in the toughest league to do so at AGE 32!

God bless him.