Fellaini

What a dick! No excuse for his red card.

Moyes needs to sort him out, Fine him and bollock him and tell him to grow up.

This has been on the cards for a while, TV replays picking up elbows etc that he has got away with. Refs are just waiting for it.

At ?15 million he needs to be on the pitch and play with the form of this time last season.
Craig Taylor, Leicester     Posted 11/11/2010 at 09:04:40

Comments

James Cadwaladr
1   Posted 11/11/2010 at 14:19:31

Agreed. He was a class apart from the other 21 players on the pitch last night until then. Such a shame.
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 11/11/2010 at 14:26:33

The thing that gets to me is that he never seems to learn his lesson. You can't do that and get away with it. I'd suggest he is seriously lacking in a little bit of nouse.

"Hello Fellani, anyone home?"
Eugene Ruane
3   Posted 11/11/2010 at 14:37:04

"DUNCAN, DUNCAN FERGUSON...."
Mikey John
4   Posted 11/11/2010 at 14:42:31

SPOT ON - Still fuming with him! he was one of the best players on the pitch last night and he does that! THREE matches out, what a wanker!! He should thank Becks!!!!
Andy Mack
5   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:06:22

A shame, but he is only 22 ? and it was a cynical (unpenalised) tackle from behind in the first place. Ah well, part and parcel of the guy I suppose. Arteta used to get booked or sent off left right and center in his early days. At least he can get properly fit now.
Ray Roche
6   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:29:08

Andy,

There's lads 4 years younger than him in Afghanistan... he needs to grow up. At 22, he's no longer a kid. He's an International footballer on damn good money who doesn't seem to learn. He was playing well last night and Moyes clearly wanted him for Sunday's Arsenal match. He should be fined the maximum two weeks wages for that petulant action.
Kevin Hudson
7   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:28:52

Agreed Craig, as it was such a shame. On account of his performance, The Paddock applauded him, whilst his indiscretion copped him fearful abuse from the Lower Gwladys, given we were one down, and seemingly heading for defeat now.

Fellaini was EVERYWHERE last night. A three-match ban will be a big loss...
Anthony Millington
8   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:47:49

He is a liability and always has been, end of.
Alex Kociuba
9   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:46:17

Ray, soldiers are trained killers who do as they're told (regardless of age). He's a filthy rich sports star who'll do as he pleases. The difference is literally a thousand miles apart.
Colin Potter
10   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:52:25

He can dish it out, especially with his elbows, but he cannot take it. He should learn to grow up, the pillock!
Brian Waring
11   Posted 11/11/2010 at 15:55:15

Andy, the tackle wasn't that bad, he actually gets the ball from the side.
Jimmy Hacking
12   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:03:58

I have never, ever understood for the life of me why footballers do not forfeit their wages for the duration of a suspension.

Why the fuck should we pay this infant while he sits in the stand?
David Thomas
13   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:01:35

Whilst I agree Mo was stupid to react, I think we will just have to accept this is part of his game. Obviously I would love him to cut it out of his game because we can't afford to be without him for extended spells but I really don't think this will be the last stupid red card he gets, just like Duncan never seemed to learn.
Tony J Williams
14   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:15:44

Exactly Eugene
Jimmy Hacking
15   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:19:43

I'm sorry if this sounds a little hostile David (13) but I had a horrible feeling someone would come to his defence with the old "it's part of his game" line. Are you saying idiocy is part of his game? really? we should just instantly forgive the lovable cheeky scamp the next 14 times he gets sent off for us?

Theres a bloke at my work who gets on my tits all the time. Perhaps one day I will lamp him, then at my disciplinary hearing I will smooth things over by telling my boss "Heeeeeey, its alright, it's just part of my game!"
Jon Gorman
16   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:33:41

Glad he's out. Our best runs of form coincide with his injuries/suspensions.
David Thomas
17   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:35:03

Jimmy,

I'm not jumping to his defence in anyway.

I agree it was a stupid mistake by Fellaini and I was swearing my head off at the match and I would also agree with giving him the maximum fine possible.

The point I am making is it does not matter if we forgive him or not ? it's not going to make any difference, is it?

In my opinion, just like Duncan never learnt through his whole time at the club, I can't see Mo learning either (hope I am wrong). If he is not going to cut it out of his game, we either sell him or accept this as a negative part of his game.
Gerry Quinn
18   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:31:12

Alex #9 - Ray was perfectly correct in his statement "There's lads 4 years younger than him in Afghanistan... he needs to grow up", but it has nothing to do with "told to kill" etc!

I've thought throughout his Everton career that Marou needs to control his frickin' temper better. He IS stupid, he DOES clip heels, he DOES lift that elbow - in most cases he is so blatant and obvious. If opposition players weren't aware of how to attract the best out of his stupidity, well, guess what they will be now. He reacts just like a child.

He's a big PLONKER ? just like Big Dunc, he needs to think more of his teammates and fans rather than just react aggressively ? and stupidly.

I love them both to bits, but they really could both have been more thoughtful of the consequences and the damage it does to Everton on and off the pitch.

Like Viera, he is rapidly becoming the target of the opposition's niggly play ? I wonder if Mick McCarthy will send his Wolves players out to test him? Be easy for them.

Gerry Quinn
19   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:53:45

Still one of my favourite players when he's CONCENTRATING on kicking the ball ? as was the Big Yin!
Mike Gaynes
20   Posted 11/11/2010 at 16:54:40

I would just point out that this was Fellaini's first red card in 70+ appearances for Everton. So as stupid as it was, I can't understand what David and Shaun are saying about this being a habit.

As far has maturing, yes, there is still some work to be done, but there is reason to believe it's already happening. Remember he had a dozen yellow cards two seasons ago, but cut that number dramatically last year, and had only one this season. So I'm willing to bet he learns from yesterday's idiocy -- this kid is smart, he's no Dunc. I doubt this will happen again.
Ray Roche
21   Posted 11/11/2010 at 17:57:13

Mike @20

Fellaini has been incredibly lucky getting away with elbowing opponents unseen by the ref. I don't care if it's his first red in 700 games, it was stupid and denies us of one of our best players for three games, in which time he'll accept maybe £90k. He DOES have a habit of elbowing other players, he's just got lucky.
Gerry Quinn
22   Posted 11/11/2010 at 18:00:06

Yellow Cards over the last 4 years (incl Internationals) =
50%, 85%, 20% and this year = 20%.
Assuming this first red of his professional career is the equivalent of 3 bookings, then Felli has a 42% bookings rate in his matches for the 14 games he has played.
Looks like he has calmed down over the previous years. It would be interesting to break down the 25 yellow cards he has collected, remove the "stupidity " ones and find out how clean his record really can be!

Gerry Quinn
23   Posted 11/11/2010 at 18:25:54

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton believes the "alleged" punch made by Joey Barton has been hyped up by the media because it involves the controversial midfielder and says such incidents are a common occurrence on the pitch.

"It was a correct decision," said Moyes. "It could have been a foul on Fellaini by Robinson which might have been a booking, but we have no complaints. It was retaliation and a sending off. Marouane should not have done that. It was stupid."

My take on it all.......Honesty and integrity as soon as it happens, try to nip it in the bud
versus
What it may be like in a year or two if, like Hughton, you continue to either ignore it or attempt to defend it!
Tom Bowers
24   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:33:20

Robinson has always been a rough player but Fellaini is learning nothing. Moyes should slap his own punishment on him for last nights action. We have Arsenal coming up and he may have been an asset knowing how the Gunners are weak at the back.
Personally I would get rid in January as he is not proving his worth but others may want to give him a few more ''years''.
Rob Murphy
25   Posted 11/11/2010 at 19:34:10

Nasty tackle from behind by Robinson which went right tru the player & took his standing leg. Players have been criticised of late for similar tackles. Whether he got the ball or not shouldn't matter, it was a dirty tackle by a notoriously dirty player. In the circumstances, having dominated the game, with Fellaini himself playing very well, I think the lad was entitled to be frustrated to find his team losing with 6 minutes to go. To add to his frustration, Robinson ploughs tru him with a tackle that could quite easily have injured a guy just returning from injury. I'd have nutted the prick as well as kicking out at him. Cunt.
Ian Campbell
26   Posted 11/11/2010 at 20:26:59

Fantastic response, Rob.

Seeing as Everton are/were the most fouled team in the Premier League, we'd be left with no players on the pitch if everyone did what Fellaini did. Speaking of notoriously dirty players, Fellaini was/is one himself.

How exactly does getting being frustrated in one game justify a player getting a straight red and then missing the next 3 matches?

Bollocks.
David Price
27   Posted 11/11/2010 at 20:38:13

Massive blow with Fellaini, superb player but is an obvious target now with his lack of self-control. Hope he will learn but I fear it's in his DNA.
Peter Fearon
28   Posted 11/11/2010 at 20:46:46

Most of you are being unfair to Fellaini. If you watch the replay in slomo, you see Robinson not only nailed Fellaini, but he tried to get up using Fella's leg as a handle. Fellaini just kicks him off.

Most referees would have let anyone else get away with that. Can you see Kuyt or Fabregas or Nani or any of the others who get away with murder week-in, week-out being shown a red when someone has just tried to cripple them? I don't think so.

Half the people demanding Fellaini show so much restraint and self-discipline would fight anyone who looked at them sideways in the pub.

Ian Smitham
29   Posted 11/11/2010 at 21:12:04

I thought it was a foul and am sure the ref booked the other guy.

Fella is our best player but sadly last night he let the club down.

Trust a fine and some training in temper control-how ever hard the provocation, means that as a professional player he will improve that part of his excellent game.

Ian Kearney
30   Posted 11/11/2010 at 21:12:36

So what if he's on huge money, does that make him less human, their not robots and they will make mistakes, and occasionaly get frustrated like the rest of us.

He was quality before that, and will still be a quality player when he comes back. Roy Keane was in his 30's when he digged Shearer in the face, and I'd have that version of Keane in our team in an instant, and Felli's nowhere near as bad as him.
Kevin Hudson
31   Posted 11/11/2010 at 21:59:38

"Get rid in January??"

Got to be the daftest submission of the day that Tom!

Fellaini bossed the match last night-we've missed him.
Dick Fearon
32   Posted 11/11/2010 at 22:09:40

Time was when Players under suspension were not paid nor allowed anywhere near a club.
I know that dosen't apply these days but surely at least part of his wages should compusarily be paid into a charity. A retired players benvolent fund would be proper.
Tom Bowers
33   Posted 11/11/2010 at 22:15:16

Letting the side down is inexcusable in my book. In his first season he had excuses for his discipline but not now.He has missed a lot time through injury in the last year and one would think that he would be anxious to make his contribution now to a team in desperate need but despite a good display yesterday he finds a way to shoot himself in the foot and the club. Like Big Dunc.how many times do we excuse him. Is he really an asset. As I said his height may have been invaluable against the Gunners who are notoriously weak in the air but all the pressure is solely on Cahill again in that department.
Have the Blues really gotten their money's worth from Fellaini yet?
Andrew Presly
34   Posted 12/11/2010 at 00:12:08

Felli did exactly what I wanted him to do when we were somehow losing to Bolton at home with no hope of recovery with about 5 mins left....just kick one of them in the balls.

The fact we salvaged a point made it slightly better but the blame for the wider shambles is with Moyes.

Fellaini, Baines and maybe Rodwell are our only players with bright future careers. Baines will be the one that stays here.

Sega Kana
35   Posted 12/11/2010 at 01:57:55

It was stupid! But i can understand his frustration. Many times he's been dragged, held on to and wrestled in the box without getting any decision his way. He does give as good as he gets but the problem is his reputation (no thanks to the Top team loving media) painted as a dirty player. He needs to learn to control his emotion and focus on the game. That's a job for Moyes.

On another note: Ray Wilkins is available. Maybe a good addition to instill some attacking flair.

Danny Broderick
36   Posted 12/11/2010 at 03:57:19

Ray Wilkins? Well, he's probably got more to offer than Bily!
Brian Waring
37   Posted 12/11/2010 at 09:18:08

I can't believe we have lads on here who are defending the tit. What about the sly elbows he was prone to throwing, are they okay because he was frustrated?

So, the next time an opponent kicks out at one of our lads, are we saying that it will be okay because the opposing player was frustrated? Yeah right! You will all be demanding he be hung, drawn and quartered.

At the end of the day, you should take off the blue-tinted specs, and realise that he has got a bit of a nasty streak in him.
Ian Kearney
38   Posted 12/11/2010 at 10:49:12

Brian, I don't think anyone's saying he hasn't made a mistake, just that some of the reactions on here are more over the top than his. He made a mistake, I very much doubt he will escape unpunished from Moyes; move on.

He picks up far less 'niggly' yellow cards than when he first arrived, so has shown an aptitude for learning.

There are plenty of Blue heroes who had a nasty streak: Tony Kay, Jonny Morrissey...and heaven help Fellaini if he ever makes a challenge like Gary Stevens did on Beglin.

But apparently having blue-tinted specs is okay, because they were all salt-of-the-earth British lads. As far as I'm concerned, plenty of the anti-Fellaini brigade who were proved wrong about his ability are coming out again now they think they have a reason to condem the lad.

Brian Waring
39   Posted 12/11/2010 at 11:07:55

Ian, I don't reckon it's the anti-Fellaini brigrade looking to have a dig, I reckon it's because we can now see what he brings to the side, and are frustrated because we need him playing, and he then does something fucking stupid like that.
Ian Kearney
40   Posted 12/11/2010 at 11:18:25

I dont think all the lads condeming it are Brian, but there's some over-the-top statements on here, and some quite frankly, ludicrous comparisons.
Helge Larsen
41   Posted 12/11/2010 at 11:18:11

Give the lad a rest ? he is pure class. Moyes will sort this out.
Tony J Williams
42   Posted 12/11/2010 at 12:42:59

There is a few mentions of "elbows" on here. Why has no-one mentioned the worst culprit of the well placed elbow, who was on the pitch and has just become the oldest Engliand debutant?

Over the top reactions from posters, who for some reason think he is a poor player. God knows what matches they watch.

He was a class above on Wednesday until he acted like a tit from a bad challenge.

If we "get shut" of all the players who reacted badly to a poor challenge or had been red carded we would have a very small squad and rotating doors at Goodison, as many players wouldn't last long here.

He was a tit to do what he did, let's move on.
Kev Lacey
43   Posted 12/11/2010 at 12:52:18

Can't defend his actions but he'd also just got back from injury, was playing a blinder, and then gets a typical Robinson tackle. I think when I was 22, in the heat of moment, given the circumstances, I'd have been hard pressed not to have a little kick out too.
Alex Robinson
44   Posted 12/11/2010 at 13:45:40

Despite yesterday's result, and Beckford's last minute belter. Moyes has rightly said that profligacy in front of goal is a major problem. OK, Yak's coming back to form but obviously can't play three games in a week, and the one guy who could be clinical in font of goal in Saha has a medical record as long as the Mississippi.

Which leads me to who's available in January. Santa Cruz was banging them in under Mark Hughes at Blackburn and is now surplus to requirements at Citeh. OK, he's rusty due to having not played for the City's first team for a while. But he's hungry, wants a fresh start, and is just down the M62. OK, his wages might be a sticking point, but why not get him in on loan till the end of the season and see how it goes?

If we could also get Landon back as well, supplying the ammunition and the odd goal, it could supply the boost we need to get into the European places. And, here's another thought. Sean Wright-Phillips is kicking his heals on Citeh's bench. Why not get him in on loan too, for the same reasons I've mentioned about Santa Cruz?

Over to you Bill and Davie...

Steven Astley
45   Posted 12/11/2010 at 13:46:59

Taking into account all of his previous record, can anyone come up with a plausible reason why Joey Barton has only received a 3 match ban for the incident involving Pedersen the other night, yet back in the day, while playing for Rangers, Duncan Ferguson got sent down for headbutting a guy in that match against Raith Rovers?
John Gee
46   Posted 12/11/2010 at 13:28:54

I'd like to congratulate Fellaini. As Roy Keane, creasehead, Viera, Robson, Ince, Reid, Shearer, Souness, Granny Fucker and many more would tell you, it's a man's game and you have to stand up for yourself.

I saw an interveiw with Tony Adams when he was at the top of his game. When asked who is the hardest player he's ever played against he said (I'm paraphrasing here) "Duncan Ferguson, you dread the game when you see his name on the team sheet because you know you can't keep him quiet."

We want an all action midfielder who will get stuck in, who will show dirty bastards like that Bolton player that when the game gets a little tasty that we have some players who will get involved. Maybe when a Wolves player decides to get in Fellaini's face he won't just worry about the ref, he'll worry about payback.

I didn't see the game, just the highlights but Felli got some Man of the Match ratings. He must of been mustard if he got MotM in a game where he got a red for violent conduct.
Nick Entwistle
47   Posted 12/11/2010 at 14:39:40

I only saw the MOTD slow-mo replay, but it was more a shove with both feet, in the same way that a shove with the hands is not necessarily a punch. If it wasn't for the big girl's blouse rolling all over and he was a man about it then it could have been a yellow.

The Bolton player seemed to purposefully come down on his knee some too.

Tony J Williams
48   Posted 12/11/2010 at 15:46:57

"Can anyone come up with a plausible reason why Joey Barton has only received a 3 match ban for the incident involving Pedersen the other night"

Especially when Duncan received 5/6 match ban for punching Scharner against Wigan.
James Cadwaladr
49   Posted 12/11/2010 at 17:14:55

Tony, Duncan probably asked for a 5/6 match ban!
Tom Bowers
50   Posted 12/11/2010 at 17:19:13

Sadly we have to experience inept gutless refereeing in the Prem which results often in a fouled player continually fouled in a game retaliating just once and getting a straight red.

People who are tall often appear awkward when challenging for the ball in the box and defenders know the tricks to clutch and hold them whilst these ''officials'' prefer not to call penalties but always call against the forward. Big Dunc was no saint but exacted his own retribution and paid the penalty more than most.

People like Fellaini and Crouch will always be targets for the inept officials who will call against them. It's just easier to call than a penalty. Oh, by the way, Barton is a thug and should get 10 games for assault.

David Thomas
51   Posted 13/11/2010 at 11:28:41

"Keep it up Felli, it'd be nice for opposing players to dread playing against one of our star men."

The only problem is that now the next three teams will not have to worry about coming up against our star man as he will be sitting in the stand when we really need him out on the pitch taking control of matches.
Ciarán McGlone
52   Posted 13/11/2010 at 12:24:25

I don't mind players making mistakes... What I do mind - is a halfwitted innability to learn from those mistakes. Especially ones which have direct consequences on our ability to win matches.

Silly, silly boy. Heavy internal fines are the way I would go. Hit them where it hurts.
Stephen Kenny
53   Posted 13/11/2010 at 14:54:37

Jon,

I agree fully, a few more with that attitude and our better players wouldn't be getting booted all over the park every week.
Ray Roche
54   Posted 13/11/2010 at 15:39:00

Stephen Kenny

You're right, Stephen, they wouldn't be getting booted all over the park every week. They'd be sat in the stand next to dickhead Fellaini.
Brian Waring
55   Posted 13/11/2010 at 15:54:34

Stephen, it's obvious you support what Fellaini did. One question, when Fellaini's back playing, and he goes through the back of an opposing player, that player then gets up and pushes or kicks-out at Felliani, will you be asking for a red card, or will you be applauding that player because he showed that 'Attitude' you talk of?