Never!

I watched some of the Man City v Birmingham game on the telly this morning and noticed that the "Blues" were in red for their away strip:

Q1: Am I right in saying that Everton have NEVER worn red as a strip (I know we wore salmon pink once)?

Q2: How would you react if Everton ever wore red as an away strip?
Gerry Quinn, Houston, TX, USA     Posted 13/11/2010 at 20:33:31

Comments

Mike McLean
1   Posted 14/11/2010 at 13:13:11

A scarlet sash against a black background in the early days before red became a naughty word.

I'd walk out.
Richard Porter
2   Posted 14/11/2010 at 13:37:05

Didn't Neville southall wear red in the 1985 cup winners cup final in Rotterdam?
Craig Taylor
3   Posted 14/11/2010 at 15:12:00

Birmingham have always had a red away strip.

There is nothing in football that says Blue teams hate red teams. It just so happens that we wear Blue and Liverpool wear Red. Hence we would never wear red.

The point I am making here is that Birmingham wouldnt wear Claret and Blue.
Gerry Quinn
4   Posted 14/11/2010 at 16:05:24

Craig, point taken - but now answer Q2......how would you react?
Charlie Percival
5   Posted 14/11/2010 at 16:48:21

As long as you know who is on your team, who cares?
Dave Smith
6   Posted 14/11/2010 at 17:04:20

Q1: Yes we have. The '92-93 blue and red away kit. And, as mentioned, the red goalkeeper jersey from '85(?).

Q2: I liked the '92-93 away kit, as a novality. But thats as far as it goes. So yes, I would mind us wearing red, but only because it's the RS colours.
Charlie Percival
7   Posted 14/11/2010 at 17:41:40

Utd ear blue as an aay kit, it may not be sky blue, but its blue.

If Everton play with a bit of red and win every game I dont care.
Brian Foley
8   Posted 14/11/2010 at 19:32:25

Lads

Mike 1, I'm with you It's Blue only for me. Gerry 4 & Charlie 5 not worth consideration unless Celtic turn up at an away match in Blue, if so I give up.
Dennis Stevens
9   Posted 14/11/2010 at 19:28:58

According to www.historicalkits.co.uk Everton have never had an away kit with red in it, however, after winning our first League title in 1891 wearing salmon pink shirts, the club then played in red shirts from 1891-95. So we were wearing red at the time of the move from Anfield to Goodison Park. Ever since 1895 it's been blue shirts & white shorts - supposedly specifically royal blue since 1901.
Phil Roberts
10   Posted 14/11/2010 at 20:00:08

New England Patriots - 22 seasons playing in red ? w154 lost 192 and no superbowls.... changed to Blue ? 19 season w177 lost 102 and 3 superbowls

Love the Blues, Love the Pats.

Would I continue to support the Pats if they played in Red? ? tough call. Stopped supporting the Sox now they have bought the Shite. So probably yes, I would stop.

As for Everton ? all I remember is that one to one changed the logo for the Everton shirt so it had no red in it.
David Hallwood
11   Posted 14/11/2010 at 22:04:06

Better Dead than Red
Sean McCarthy
12   Posted 14/11/2010 at 22:05:09

Big Nev wore a red shirt against Rapid in 85 CWC final. Don't think it was ever worn before or since. It was so he didn't clash with rapids green and White tho a yellow shirt might have been a better choice. But as it was my hero I ll let him off!!!
Leon Perrin
13   Posted 14/11/2010 at 22:33:22

The multitude of second strips is an excuse to sell shirts, can't see a big market in Evertonians wearing red football shirts.
Jay Harris
14   Posted 14/11/2010 at 22:44:52

After todays performance I'd send them out with no shirts and their names and number branded on their backs.
Dennis Stevens
15   Posted 14/11/2010 at 23:11:16

I remember reading somewhere that Nev the Save's choice of red for the ECWC Final was due to him being a patriotic Welshman. TOFFS were selling them a while back & I meant to buy one just for the novelty of having a red Everton shirt, however, I never got 'round to it & they've stopped doing them now.
Dan Doran
16   Posted 15/11/2010 at 04:47:47

According to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Everton/Everton.htm
our 1891-1895 home kit was red.

To answer Q2 - I would hate it but only cause its fun to hate on the RS. I do however fancy that bit of red in Chelsea's kit this year...
Derek Thomas
17   Posted 15/11/2010 at 08:43:48

There is as far as I can make it NOTHING red in the house. The best thing ever invented was email coz now I don't have to use those 'Orrible red letter boxes.

I hate red; red and shite go together like a... well like a shitty red redshite thing.
Mark Murphy
18   Posted 15/11/2010 at 09:32:08

I'm sure Nev came on in a home game wearing a red shirt and was booed until he changed it? Or was that Dai Davies? I wasn't at Rotterdam (yes, I'm the only Evertonian who wasnt!) so it wasn't that game but I'm sure I've seen Nev in red?

As for the question, when I was 50 my Spurs workmate thought it a laugh to buy me a pair of LFC socks and present them at work in front of the office. They were smartly dropped in the bin (retrieved later and swapped for a jacket). I like Joe Royle's attitude to this!
Dennis Stevens
19   Posted 15/11/2010 at 10:59:28

If you're going to repeat some of my earlier post, Dan, you could at least use inverted commas.
David Price
20   Posted 15/11/2010 at 12:01:45

Only bit of red I'm associated with is ketchup as that mixes with food and finds it's way out eventually so that's a fine ending for anything red. Also the red stripe in toothpaste which I end up spitting out, again a fine ending for the reds.
Stephen Kenny
21   Posted 15/11/2010 at 14:31:20

I don't wear red clothes, travel in red cars, own anything of note in that colour and avoid drinking with Reds. I think from that you can take how I would feel if we brought a red kit out.
Gerry Quinn
22   Posted 15/11/2010 at 14:59:35

Dennis #9 - thanks for the history lesson. I know that I am old (60 next year, aaaagh!) but you got me on the centuries old forays in THAT colour! To think, 50 years earlier and I would have worn it to a match.

Derek #17 ? ha, brilliant descriptive terms.

Steven #21 ? I have a similar outlook on life about THAT colour. Won't even use THAT colour file covers in my office. Petty? YES ? totally. But it does make me feel even more Evertonian.

Jon Ferguson
23   Posted 15/11/2010 at 16:16:56

Craig (#3) ? Your point of Birmingham not hating red because Villa play in Claret and Blue is completely correct. We can let Birmingham get away with this.

Manchester City however play in blue (albeit sky blue) but have had a few red away kits over the seasons, the colour of their hated neighbours. United have also returned the compliment with at least one blue kit (okay it was a different shade of blue, but it's close enough). I can't understand a) what the kit makers were thinking and b) why the fans were apparently apathetic to it.

I imagine the backlash against a red kit for Everton would make the student demonstrations look like a tea party.
Dennis Stevens
24   Posted 15/11/2010 at 18:18:16

Gerry, it's not too bad that we wore red for a few seasons, after all it was about the same time RS were playing in blue, which they did until 1896.

Interesting point about the Mancs, Jon. It's similar with Portsmouth & Southampton, as Saints have worn change kits with blue in, yellow & blue I think, whereas Pompey have not only worn change kits with varying amounts of red, sometimes almost completely red, but even have some red in their first kit on occasion.
Matthew Mackey
25   Posted 16/11/2010 at 13:36:15

The reason the Birmingham "blues" get away with wearing a red away kit (which they have done for as long as I can remember) is because their arch rivals in that city (Villa) don't wear red, they wear claret and sky blue.

If Villa did wear red as their first choice kit then i'm sure that the majority of Birmingham "blues" fans would refuse to buy it, just like we would if it ever became an issue.

The only red I've ever seen on an Everton shirt is like last Sunday when they put the poppy on it.

Jason Lam
26   Posted 17/11/2010 at 07:51:58

IIRC when we were sponsored by One-2-One, the red on the sponsor logo was removed specifically. So it's not just a fans' thing.