Little bit of Cup trivia

After the match yesterday, along with some friends, we went to our usual watering hole to discuss the game.

It was during our referee inquest that this little bit of cup trivia struck me: Everton have been refereed in two FA Cup Finals by men who have gone on to take the World Cup Final. In 1966 versus Sheffield Wednesday, the man in charge was a Wolverhampton butcher, Jack Taylor, who then went on to to take control of the 1974 match between Holland & West Germany. Our ref yesterday Howard Webb who was in charge of our game against Chelsea 2008. As referees only take charge of one final in each competition, it's another first in our history.

Jack Taylor who is still alive, was a firm but fair referee. I will not say what I think of Mr Webb, as it may not get printed, I am sure most Evertonians have their own view.
Norman Merrill, Everton     Posted 15/11/2010 at 11:42:55

Comments

Colin Potter
1   Posted 15/11/2010 at 15:41:06

Jack Taylor denied us what was to me a blatant penalty on Alex Young, in the 1996 FA Cup Final, and just watch Brian Harris, who was delibrally blocked from tackling Pugh, who went on and scored to make it 2-0.

I saw him several times, and to me he seemed a bit of an arrogant sod.

Larry Boner
2   Posted 15/11/2010 at 15:58:59

Jack Taylor, I think, disallowed a goal for Everton and a stonewall penalty in the Final 1966, gave a stonewall penalty for Holland and then gave a shithouse penalty from a blatant dive by Holzenbien for West Germany. Never rated him as a ref, but what do I know?

As I always say, when you have taken all the referee exams and passed them, then refereed a game, then you can criticise referees (which is what the likes of Gray, Hansen, Lawrensen, Barnes, Redknapp et all should be required to do before spouting shite on the TV).

Apart from that a pretty meaningless statistic, you would need to research every other final in every World Cup as well as FA Cup to come up with a similar coincidence.

Brian Waring
3   Posted 15/11/2010 at 16:13:54

Wow, referee's even had it in for us in 1966 hey? Wonder if the FA and the media had it in for us back then also?

Here's a thought, did we get shown on Match of the Day last as well then?
Sean McCarthy
4   Posted 16/11/2010 at 13:50:30

".....it's another first in our history"

Well feck me!!! We really are scraping the barrel of 'football firsts' with that one!! Maybe we should have it sown onto our shirts and display with obvious pride!!????
Joe McParland
5   Posted 16/11/2010 at 16:38:43

Here's another first, Johnny Heitinga was the first person sent off by one of these so-called refs in a World Cup Final.
Trevor Lynes
6   Posted 16/11/2010 at 21:13:57

I would send Dutch 'Johnny' Schultz off as he came out of the tunnel if I were ref!!! He is without doubt the worst Dutch international I have ever seen and why on earth we brought him to Goodison beats me. He has very little pace, can't tackle, and his distribution is woeful.

He can intimidate people but that's Sunday pub league stuff. He had to come off last week as he seemed determined to get sent off. He has already said he wants away so he should be let go and give his wages to Pienaar to keep him at EFC.