Landon

I have tended to avoid discussions about Landon Donovan and a return to Everton because I never really believed it would happen. But, as I was taking my annual look at Facebook, I came across Landon's latest post.

"Just got back from a long walk along the beach with my dogs. Hard to imagine that this season began for me on January 1st with so much promise and ended so abruptly last night. It's been the best year of my life, and it wouldn't be the same without all your love. To the Everton fans, the US National Team fans and the Galaxy fans, thanks for being a part of so many memorable moments in my life. Much love"

I then looked at the comments and was astounded at how many were from Evertonians. I had expected, at best, half Blue, half Galaxy. But no ? this was nearly all Everton, and it got me thinking.

Apart from his on-the-pitch contribution, how much good would the return of Landon Donovan do to the feeling around Goodison? Would the atmosphere at home games improve with crazy chants of 'USA USA'? Would fans start to forget some of the low points because LD had come home.

Or would it just be another bust like the second coming of Gravesen?
Steve Pugh, Norfolk     Posted 16/11/2010 at 13:35:06

Comments

Sam Hoare
1   Posted 16/11/2010 at 14:50:21

I would say 70-80% chance of Landon coming back in January.

Ironically his previous position for us (RM) may well be the least of our concerns then with Coleman doing well and Anichebe presumably recovered by then. Maybe Moyes might put him up front, we need someone to score some goals!!
Anthony Hughes
2   Posted 16/11/2010 at 14:51:51

Oh no, not another couple of months of a "Donovan for Everton" campaign.
Mark Hill
3   Posted 16/11/2010 at 14:41:59

It's hard to say, each signing is a gamble, no matter who they are. Though he is a worker there is no questioning that, I don't think he would just give in, he would want to give his best, but he is 29, so not your typical Moyes signing.

But I think I would be happy to see him back, though would it be to buy or on loan again? I would be concerned about shedding out a load of cash on a 29-year-old. I do think something is needed right now, all the optimism we had at the start of the season has dissipated somewhat, in this strange season.

Strange in some of the results which are popping up, who had Chelsea to lose to Sunderland 0-3? Anyway, back to the point, bring him back but at a reasonable price please?

Nick Entwistle
4   Posted 16/11/2010 at 15:43:17

I wasn't for his return as a necessity at the start of the season as I thought we were covered, but no doubt the direct nature of his running would stop the pussyfooting around the box from the bunch we have now.

Charlie Percival
5   Posted 16/11/2010 at 15:47:09

Straight swap for Pienaar! Send Steven to USA if he wants more money!
John Ford
6   Posted 16/11/2010 at 16:39:06

I wonder if Landon returning would mean a Coleman/Landon partnership with Coleman at RB. Baines/Pienaar can frighten defences if they're on song, so let's do it both sides of the pitch.

Whatever the set up, he gets you out of the seat. I hope it happens.
John Gilfoyle
7   Posted 16/11/2010 at 17:27:58

Dale Jennings, young Tranmere prospect, would be cheap, started very well!!!!!

Mark Murphy
8   Posted 16/11/2010 at 17:31:22

"Because LD had come home"

Remind me! How many games did he play for us again?

He's not the messiah ? just a half-decent player who played for us on loan once. Nice bloke, I'm sure... but come on!
Steve Pugh
9   Posted 16/11/2010 at 17:50:07

Mark, if you look at the facebook comments that is exactly what hundreds of comments say. That's what I am trying to say, this is not something that can be substantiated, it is just a weird phenomenon that is affecting a lot of Toffees, and his return could fire us up, regardless of what he has done (or will do) on the pitch.
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 16/11/2010 at 17:59:38

I was going to mention the "coming home" comment. He was more like a house guest who was up early, kept the place tidy, cooked a good meal, and left with a few beers in the fridge. He can stay any time.
Jeremy Benson
11   Posted 16/11/2010 at 18:22:06

There are so many fantasy-football posts on here lately.

The fact of the matter is that we can't afford to sign Landon Donovan. If we could, we would have, I am sure.

Landon's love for Everton, and the fans love of him, makes no difference if there are not the finances to do something. That's the real world.

...and back in the room...!
Joe McMahon
12   Posted 16/11/2010 at 19:10:17

It's a pisser really, he would have been cheaper than the dreadful Bilya-fuckinshit-ninov. Dreadful when you think Yak and Bily were a combined £21 million.
Sean McCarthy
13   Posted 16/11/2010 at 19:27:01

Someone mentioned the second coming of Gravesen. The first one was bad enough!!! A poor man's Lee Carsley!!! Clench your fists as much as you like but if you're shit, you're shit!!!!

I can't bear 3 months of Landon Donovan posts!!!

David Price
14   Posted 16/11/2010 at 19:50:23

Much needed Shot in the Arm if we get him.
Andy Kay
15   Posted 16/11/2010 at 20:50:20

Terry Curran ... brilliant on loan... not much cop when he came back and signed. The rest of the lads did ok though... bring him back anyway!!!!!
Jip Foster
16   Posted 16/11/2010 at 22:20:11

Get him on loan ? as, the minute he signs, there'll be an injury crisis and we'll be thanking our lucky stars that we have him.
Christine Foster
17   Posted 17/11/2010 at 00:46:08

Personally I would love to see him back here; as someone said, he certainly gets you out of your seat!

It has to be better than the "after you, no.. after you..." attitude to shooting we have currently.

He is direct, skillful and scores goals... Duh ? Straight swop for Pienaar or even Bily? Yeah I would take it.
John Daley
18   Posted 17/11/2010 at 00:23:25

All this 'Landon loves Everton' shit and presumptions that he wants to return 'home' (eh?) are clutching at straws. Didn't he come out not so long ago and say ha loan move was doubtful because he'd been unable to take a break from the game for over a year and he'd rather rest up?

Last season's short loan spell served a dual purpose for the wide-headed wingman: it enabled him to maintain his fitness prior to the World Cup, and also offered the chance to prove to himself that he could actually cut it in a proper league following his previous poor experience in Europe.

What's he going to get out of it this time? The chance of a permanent move if he impresses again? No, if a deal was ever going to happen there, then surely last summer was the time.
Eric Myles
19   Posted 17/11/2010 at 01:36:43

Jeremy (11) and John (18) I remember one of our US based fans commenting in the summer that there was no way that LD would sign for us then for two reasons:

1. Galaxy would want to keep him to win the MLS League and play in the World Club Championship which wouldn't finish until January.

2. Because LD would want to show loyalty to Galaxy and help them achieve 1.

So, now his season is over, he's got a couple of months holiday until the January window opens ? there's maybe a good chance that he would choose us over anyone else.

Jason Lam
20   Posted 17/11/2010 at 07:45:54

Any forward that does not hog the ball like Louis fuckwit Saha is welcomed.
Ian Hughes
21   Posted 17/11/2010 at 12:07:15

Bang,

Nick (10) hits the nail right on the head.
Anthony Lamb
22   Posted 17/11/2010 at 13:22:59

This clutching at straws really has to stop! When are we going to stop giving any credence to these "I love such and such a club... supporters... country... "comments? Landon Donovan is a PRO-footballer. They go where the best contract is/what suits their own personal circumstances etc.

In addition, where on earth do we get the evidence from that he is some extraordinary player? He is a reasonably talented footballer coming to the tail end of a career where he is capable of being any part of any longer term team rebuilding/planning. Of course he would be an acquisition for the short-term strength of the squad but are we saying that there is NOBODY in all the divisions of the British game capable of proving a better longer term proposition and thus in whom Everton could invest with some degree of confidence?

In the meantime, young Coleman looks to be an outstanding prospect for the right side of any midfield role and while we are at it why does the management not consider his progress as having implications for the left side of the team ? namely investing in a good left back and allowing Leighton Baines the freedom to exploit his natural attacking instincts on the left side of the same midfield?

It is clear for all to see that this young man has far too many technical gifts, allied to decent pace and natural offensive inclinations, to be limited simply to the defensive constraints of the full back position. Mr Pienaar could then be allowed to prise himself away from the "Everton fans who he loves so much".

Andrew Conroy
23   Posted 17/11/2010 at 17:38:26

I can see it happening but I'm not sure it'd be a good thing. Although he lifted the place, some seem to forget that Donovan had a few stinkers, and really just served to underline what we'd been missing in that part of the pitch.

If it's a loan move, yes. If it's for the sort of money Galaxy are fantasizing about, no. He's not as good as Coleman and we're more in need of a striker and someone for the left.
Eric Myles
24   Posted 18/11/2010 at 01:12:46

Anthony, all players are only short-term signings as their contracts are generally for 4 or 5 years. So even building a team around a youngish player eg. Rodwell, could just as easily see him move on in his prime 5 years later.
Matthew Mackey
25   Posted 18/11/2010 at 10:42:47

If Landon wants to come and play for us again and Moyes wants him back in January then bring it on!
This guy obviously enjoyed his time here last season and we enjoyed having him as he made such a big impact. And as we need some inspiration from somewhere at this time to get our season into a higher (more productive) gear, then why not?!

As some have said on here, the RM position which Seamus Colemen currently occupies may well not be our biggest problem at the moment as young Seamus is going a fine job, but Landon up front to score goals ? that's what we need, so get him back and hopefully he will provide the spark we are all seeking in this frustrating season to date.
David Chait
26   Posted 18/11/2010 at 13:06:04

I really don't understand why the negative comments on this thread based on such a positive post. Landon had an "awesome" (in my best American) year... and believe it or not the few months he had with us left an indelible impression. Why is that so hard to believe by some???

I must say I loved having him on the pitch and we were creating havoc down both wings... the crowd took to him and he took to us. Call him a pro or whatever swear word you can ? I honestly believe he fell in Love with Everton ? and the fans.
Nick Entwistle
27   Posted 18/11/2010 at 14:30:41

I was always most impressed by the man's frontal lobe. Large and bulbus, not overly so, but enough to know there's something going on up there. Wiki says...
"The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events. Therefore, it is involved in higher mental functions.

The frontal lobes also play an important part in retaining longer term memories which are not task-based. These are often memories associated with emotions derived from input from the brain's limbic system. The frontal lobe modifies those emotions to generally fit socially acceptable norms."

Go figure!
Jon Cox
28   Posted 18/11/2010 at 19:12:00

"The left lower rear lobe which is mainly concerned with anxiety, stress or general fucked-upness is usually found attached to people who can't get enough of all things red, hence the invention of the lobotomy"

I found this quote in the Peter Cushing electronic bible and what's the best way to use lightening manual circa 1924.
Jon Cox
29   Posted 18/11/2010 at 21:04:49

Well at least you read it, Michael. Bible ok you win........
Michael Kenrick
30   Posted 18/11/2010 at 21:30:06

Jon, what was it supposed to be? I assume you made the whole thing up so I quickly decided against a Google search.

Let's go with "Practical Electronics and What's the Best Way to use Lightening" manual... although I don't recall a lobotomy being part of the good doctor's recipe for the bloke with a bolt through his neck. Are you on the merlot a little early tonite?!?!
Jon Cox
31   Posted 18/11/2010 at 21:45:53

Michael, now I know you have a brain. Although past posts made me wonder... but for your information I think Shiraz goes down a little better. But don't forget just because I drink it doesn't mean that the undead in the boardroom at EFC don't drink it either. Which is why I'm glad I'm not bored!!

Long live this site.

J J
James Cadwaladr
32   Posted 19/11/2010 at 17:43:43

John and Eric @ 18 and 19. He has said in the past 48 hours, albeit in two separate interviews (1) that, if he was going to go out on loan again, it would only be to Everton; (2) that if he had to make a decision now, it would likely be a no as he is too tired. But that he has a month and a half before he has to make that decision so he is going to go away and "chill". He has also previously said that it would be a shame if he can't come back this year but hopefully one day it would happen in the future.

Personally, I hope / think come 6 weeks time he will decide to come back. Personally, I really hope he does as last season he offered and gave exactly what we needed.

It is abundantly clear that we need the same again; we haven't strengthened. It isn't just his performances that helped last year, it was the atmosphere he created and I haven't seen anyone taken to the Everton hearts like that for a long time, especially as we knew it would be a temporary thing. The effect of that crowd, matchday atmosphere and general feelgood can not be underestimated with regards to its effect on team performances.

Due to illness, I didn't get to the game in the last half of last season and hence I want to be there to see him for myself. I'm not ashamed to admit, I love the bloke.

Jon Cox
33   Posted 19/11/2010 at 19:31:11

James, nothing to be ashamed about cos I love the bloke.

At this point in time, I'm trying to get my head round how the team would be with Donovan in a striking role and Seamus wide right.
Ernie McAllister
34   Posted 20/11/2010 at 03:50:19

There's been some considerable talk of him going to Newcastle on a permanent deal come January... this news has been out there for a while.

While I am taking the entire thing with a pinch of salt, I think Landon is waiting more for a permanent move rather than as loan deal...

Anyway who knows or really cares. I am not entirely convinced he would return in the new year, not if the rumors say he wants a more permanent move... and we can't afford the alleged £11M price tag.
Ernie McAllister
35   Posted 20/11/2010 at 03:52:47

Anthony Lamb ? You say Coleman is an outstanding right midfielder... most of us agree on that. However, in an interview on the radio the other day, he is still under the impression Moyse gave him, he sees him as a defender still... go figure that one!

So, if Moyes wants to put Coleman back in defence at some point, I guess the only reason we'd take Landon back would be for the right midfield he vacated at the start of the year.

As you say, Landon is coming to the tail end of his career. I am not so convinced of that; the lad still has a few years more left in him, possibly even 7 or 8 years, depends on him really.

The other thing you mentioned, as answered previously: there may well be hot-shots down in the lower leagues, but let's face facts: if there really were any, the bigger clubs would have snapped them up already, since this new rule about so many homegrown players need to be in the squad... added to the fact even if there where any decent ones left, do you honestly think we could even afford them in today's climate and the fact once again we are skint to the eyeballs?

Landon could offer us a lot for a few months of the year... but I'd like to see him here fulltime, but and unless we can stump up the £11M, he won't be coming to us.

I'd like to see him come to us, because he can offer us abilities. While no Pele or any other top player you want, he brings pace down the wing, he generates a hell of an atmosphere around Goodison, which gets to the lads, and they play out of their skin. For me, it's no coincidence Everton picked up when Landon arrived..
Art Jones
36   Posted 20/11/2010 at 08:02:11

Having watched some of the interviews Landon did for a USA TV company after he finished his stint here, I personally think that he would only return here if he feels he could do himself and the club justice. If he thought he could not give us at least 100%, he would decline the chance to return.

He comes across as a model pro, on the lines of a Phil Neville with his attitude to his chosen sport. He would be a fantastic addition to the squad on many fronts, especially if Tim Cahill is going to be missing in January for the Asian Cup.