Two Jags

Watching Phil Jagielka play Right Back for England last night brought back haunting memories of when he first joined Everton, when he was being asked to play out of position in Midfield.

It was through no fault of his own, but I felt embarrassed for the lad, whatching him getting 'munsoned' by the french, who truely targeted his inexperience in that area.

Lord only knows why Moyes and now Capello view him as being a versatile player, because he isn't. He's an excellent centre back, but that's his position, full stop.

Let's hope he doesn't take a confidence hangover into the Sunderland game...

Liam Reilly, London     Posted 18/11/2010 at 13:57:01

Comments

Andrew Fair
1   Posted 18/11/2010 at 15:12:42

I think he was hung out to dry last night on the right, but didn't get much help from in front of him. Versatile player ? played in centre mid for Sheff United for quite a few seasons... even used to score belters. Was a pretty impressive goalie in one game I think against Arsenal. So versatile he is... RB ? probably not though.
Anthony Hughes
2   Posted 18/11/2010 at 15:27:47

I agree, Liam, with what you say about Jagielka's position. This should also apply to playing Heitinga only at centre half, Fellaini only as a defensive holding player, never play Ossie wide right, and Cahill only off the main striker.
Trevor Lynes
3   Posted 18/11/2010 at 15:38:27

Heitinga is not good enough to take either Jagielka's or Distin's place... also, he is a liability as a tackler and gives too many stupid free kicks away.

Jags and Distin rarely get booked and do their job without incurring the ref's wrath.

Anthony Hughes
4   Posted 18/11/2010 at 16:00:58

Yes Trevor, at the moment I agree. He isn't better than Jags or Distin and should only be cover for them. He doesn't cut it as a holding midfielder for me either. There's more to that position than throwing in reckless challenges and playing the so-called "hardman" role.
Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 18/11/2010 at 16:13:45

I was looking forward to seeing Jags play, then the formations came up and was more concerned with my Facebook page.

Still, the wannabe DJ is out for 4 weeks, so not all bad.
John Nelson
6   Posted 18/11/2010 at 16:30:37

Wannabe DJ ? haha! Spot on.
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 18/11/2010 at 17:13:04

Out for 4 weeks...??? Don't tell me I have to get on fffff-facebook.
Thomas Christensen
8   Posted 18/11/2010 at 18:20:42

Wannabe DJ or Wannabe cage fighter

Jags was always going to have a bad game. Out of position and with an inexperienced midfield and the shit Barry.
Andy Crooks
9   Posted 18/11/2010 at 18:42:45

Jags played out of position? Thank God we have a coach who has never been guilty of such ineptitude.
Steve Pugh
10   Posted 18/11/2010 at 19:57:38

No-one mentioning how much better the England defence looked in the second half with Jags controlling things from the middle.
Nick Entwistle
11   Posted 18/11/2010 at 20:55:26

I was too busy on my bebo account Steve...
Lee Kidd
12   Posted 19/11/2010 at 03:25:52

I watched the game, cringing at Jagielka's performance, but mostly I was just laughing at England.

It wasn't Jagielka's fault at all obviously, but it really did highlight the fact we already knew: he's not a full back, he's not a midfielder... but he's one hell of a centre-half.

It's a shame Capello has caught "Man City Fever" with Lescott partnering Rio instead of Jags.
Brian Garside
13   Posted 19/11/2010 at 08:25:28

Why did Capello not play Hibbert? He is a far better RB than Jags. Ask Ronaldo, Petrov, Davenport...!!! All of whom have switched wings having been out-manouvered by our under-appreciated Nr 2.

Should you ever need a hard tackling uncompromising defender, Hibbo´s your man. I think he suits international football perfectly. Hardly anyone would get past him and when he does have the ball the pace is so slow the ball is only ever passed sideways anyway.

We await your call Mr C. (I now expect some interesting follow-up.)

Jamie Morgan
14   Posted 19/11/2010 at 09:17:04

I know it goes against the whole "let's blood youth" (even if they are not really good enough yet, ie, Henderson and Gibbs) but my point is there isn't a better right-back than Phil Neville over the last month or so.

And I fear Baines has completely burned his bridges after the homesick comment... Gibbs and Warnock ahead of him? do my a favour!
Andrew Bankes
15   Posted 19/11/2010 at 09:23:49

Excuse my ignorance but who is the 'wannabe DJ'? And why?!
Peter Webster
16   Posted 19/11/2010 at 09:41:10

Andrew (15)

Wannabe DJ refers to the ever lovable Steven Gerrard - Stevie Me Larrr, Stevie GBH, DJ Smackem, and the 'hilarious' incident in a bar when his friends surrounded and allegedly beat up a DJ that allegedly refused to let Stevie play a Phil Collins record. Stevie then allegedly gave him three uppercuts, all in self defence.

All caught on cctv footage which only a blind man or a LFC supporter could defend. Bizarrely enough, Stevie got away with it. On par with Ken Dodd's aquittal over tax evasion, to quote Kent Brockman. Give that man an MBE!

David Price
17   Posted 19/11/2010 at 10:19:40

It was painful watching Jags at full back. More evidence that Capello is hopeless. Also laughable the number of players that have been injured on international duty and everyone just gets on with it. As soon as it's SG, Sky erupt in fury and all hell breaks loose. Laughable.
Mark Stone
18   Posted 19/11/2010 at 10:50:37

I'm not sure Moyes does see him as a versatile player, at least not anymore (maybe when he first bought him). I think he sees him as a centre half.
Mike Allison
19   Posted 19/11/2010 at 13:07:45

Do all the non-English Everton fans who were on here in the World Cup saying Capello isn't a problem still believe that?

Jagielka at right back?

Gibbs over Baines at left back?

Capello is absolutely clueless.
Jamie Tulacz
20   Posted 19/11/2010 at 13:49:23

Mike (19)- the Gibbs one left me scratching my head too. Apparently he's only played about 20 mins all season, and clearly wasn't fit. I was absolutely amazed that he stuck Jags at right-back.

Still I think Baines will be better off not being associated with a performance like that anyway.
Steve Pugh
21   Posted 19/11/2010 at 14:09:25

Jamie, not only that Gibbs has only played 20 mins, he is being kept out of the Arsenal side by someone who can't even get into the French first 11.
Aiden Jones
22   Posted 19/11/2010 at 15:06:24

Jamie ? to be fair Clichy is behind Abidal of Barcelona who had Walcott in his pocket. Clichy is a very good full back.
Danny Burke
23   Posted 21/11/2010 at 13:48:44

Jags played for a number of years at Sheff Utd at CB, RB and CM, as someone mentioned above even scored some belters (maybe where that phase of him thinking he could take free kicks came from) and when he came he was a recognised "utility man". He has now though established himself as our first choice CB and I don't think Moyes sees him as a utility man anymore.

That makes Capello putting him RB even more baffling, especially with Micah Richards on the bench. We have two better English RBs at Everton so Im sure the whole country could muster one. He is a great CB and he should have started there, much better in the second half and he and Lescott looked comfortable and solid together like they used to for us.