Members:   Log In Sign Up

Happy Sad Songs

I have found the recent debates from the pro- and anti-Kenwright factions extremely enlightening and entertaining. However, after a while, trawling through the endless opinions and counter opinions makes one a little weary.

So, to lighten my mood, I reached for my iPod and started searching through my extensive music collection for some soothing tunes. I have to admit that my music selection can be described as eclectic at best. One song jumped out at me though and just had to be played: the song in question was Sad Songs by Elton John.

Whenever I hear this song, I get goose bumps down my arms and the hairs in my neck stand up. And if I am really feeling sentimental, then I can swear that I actually get tears forming in my eyes. Now, before I get derided for being some sort of silly romantic fool with questionable sexual tastes, I have to explain that this is the song that ITV choose to play after Everton had beaten Watford in the FA Cup Final in 1984.

I remember getting home from Wembley via a couple of pubs, with my brother, in the early hours of the morning, praying that my dad had remembered to tape the game. Of course he did, and those pictures of Rats, and Gray and John Bailey et al running around with the FA Cup at the end of the game with ITV playing Elton?s Sad Songs means that this song will forever remind me of happy times. I was too young to remember the Championship winning team of 69-70 so this was the first trophy I had ever seen us win ? and boy did it feel good.

It got me wondering as to how many other fans have a particular song that probably doesn?t mean anything to anybody else, but to them it can bring back evocative memories of a time in their lives when watching the blues was the only thing that mattered in their lives.
Shaun Sparke, Prescot     Posted 22/11/2010 at 00:27:37

Comments

Stephen Kenny
1   Posted 22/11/2010 at 07:53:57

All Together Now ? for exactly the same reasons as yours.
Derek Thomas
2   Posted 22/11/2010 at 08:07:19

He sings the songs that remind him of the good times, he sings the songs that remind him of the better times...

I get kn.................
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 22/11/2010 at 12:21:09

Another has to be "Things Can Only Get Better" by D:ream, it reminds me of Paul Rideout's header with Joe Bighead doing the same on the touchline and the 95 FA Cup rather than it being associated with Tory (TORY not TONY) Blair and his lickspittles.
Norman Merrill
4   Posted 22/11/2010 at 14:48:01

Gavn, you stole my thunder!!!! with "Things can only get better" which was hammered after the Wimbledon match, that NO-one will ever forget.

That was a HAPPY night.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 22/11/2010 at 14:53:58

God Norman, that was a night and a half with my lot too.
Dave Charles
6   Posted 22/11/2010 at 15:13:17

"We Shall Not Be Moved". The Seekers

Going back to the sixties when my dad would turn the sound up on the radio when this came on saying, 'This is our song lad'.

He even had a car window sticker with 'Everton- We Shall Not Be Moved'.

Trevor Lynes
7   Posted 22/11/2010 at 15:35:42

Z-Cars is still the most stirring tune associated with EFC and long may it reign. It's MUCH better than the stupid Grand Old Team dirge....

We Shall Not Be Moved has been sang everywhere and has no real ties with any team... Z-Cars is unmistakenly EVERTON!!

Dave Lynch
8   Posted 22/11/2010 at 15:35:17

Bit of a self-indulgent one, mine. Coming back on the footy special (remember them) after hammering Spurs, or some other London club in the late 70s, we was well up for a party and got into Eric' s at about 10pm to hear Clash, City Rockers, belted out full bast by the DJ.
Derek Turnbull
9   Posted 22/11/2010 at 17:12:36

Dave Lynch, here's one for you 'I don't wanna go to Chelsea' Elvis Costello.

Coming up to Xmas, there's a whole host of songs that remind me of Everton!
Kris Boner
10   Posted 22/11/2010 at 17:47:28

I'm only 18 but even I have a soft spot for 'I don't want to go to Chelsea' by Elvis Costello.
Eugene Ruane
11   Posted 23/11/2010 at 08:46:23

If Everton is the love of your life, then (as I've said before) it HAS to be country music. Try...

I've Got Tears in my Ears from Lyin' on my Back in my Bed While I Cry Over You

My Give-A-Damn's Busted

I Don't Want Your Body If Your Heart's Not In It

I Gave Her My Heart and a Diamond and She Clubbed Me with A Spade

I'm Gettin' Gray From Being Blue. (Uncanny!)

I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling