Members:   Log In Sign Up

Asian Cup

There?s been a lot of murmuring on this site recently about whether having Tim Cahill in the side effectively weakens the team because it means we are more direct, rely on set pieces or rely on Tim getting on the end of something in the box. Thus, without him we would be a far more fluid attacking team.

To me, that?s a load of bollocks, as Tim was without doubt head and shoulders above the rest of the side again last night and without his 1 in 2 ratio of goals in the league (a stat any striker would be proud of), we?d be propping up the table.

Now I can?t be sure of his attendance in the Asian Cup in Qatar in January, but seeing as he is very proud to represent Australia, there is a very good possibility that we will be without his services for a significant slice of that month.

It will be very interesting to see who steps up to the plate in terms of goals and if indeed we do see a far more fluid Everton. I have my doubts...
Liam Reilly, London     Posted 23/11/2010 at 08:40:01

Comments

John Barnes
1   Posted 23/11/2010 at 14:41:40

Maybe another situation forced on Moyes which works out better?
Kevin Hudson
2   Posted 23/11/2010 at 14:42:07

Agree. The way Tim's playing ought to make Saha ashamed of himself. Out of the other strikers, I reckon Beckford's work rate could eventually prove useful for us-once,and indeed if, he clicks..
Anthony Hughes
3   Posted 23/11/2010 at 14:44:37

Providing he's still here, it could be Pienaar off the striker with Bily on the left or vice versa.
Jimmy Hacking
4   Posted 23/11/2010 at 17:55:58

I've never agreed with the ludicrous idea that absentees force Everton to play better or whatever. Our team will be seriously weakened by the loss of one of our best players for several weeks, just so he can take part in a POINTLESS, MICKEY-MOUSE TOURNAMENT in front of tiny crowds during a bloody stupid time of the year.

These are professional footballers, and should not be allowed to take part. And don't get me started on the African Cup of Nations. Bloody drivel, that tournament.

And it really annoys me when people say "These tournaments can't take place in the summer, it's too hot." So bloody what? They shouldn't take place at all.

And before anyone accuses me of being disrespectful, can you name the current Asian Cup champions? (Without resorting to Wikipedia) Or tell me where the last tournament was staged? Or give me a breakdown of the (undoubtedly highly memorable) final?

Didn't think so....

Bloody joke.
Kevin Hudson
5   Posted 23/11/2010 at 18:13:13

Slightly disparaging there, Jimmy.

I imagine the Asian Cup is as relevant to Asians as the Euro Champs is to Europeans. It's a FIFA sanctioned tournament, and therefore just as valid.

Agree with you on the inconvenience front though.
James Cadwaladr
6   Posted 23/11/2010 at 18:21:39

Dreading it. We'd be below West Ham if it wasn't for Cahill.
Russell Buckley
7   Posted 24/11/2010 at 00:30:04

Spot on, Kevin Hudson.

As an aussie the Asian Cup is just as important to us and our national players as the Euro champs are to English Players.

Sure, it's not at the same standard but there are still some good sides.
Ciaran Duff
8   Posted 24/11/2010 at 06:40:50

Hey Jimmy ? The last Asian cup was held in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia & Vietnam. Even though Australia didn't win it, I really enjoyed watching it. It was won by Iraq whose national team hadn't played a home game in years because of some war type stuff happening there I believe. So, it was a bit of a "feel good" story - you would have enjoyed it mate.

Even better news, the next one is in Australia 2014 ? so we're guaranteed to qualify (I bet you're as cuffed as me?).

And Jimmy, it could get even better mate, by this time next week we'll know if our bid for that other little international tournament (the one they had in South Africa a few months ago) for 2022 is successful. Geez, I'll pee me pants if we get that too! Fingers crossed, mate. ;-)

Martin Faulkner
9   Posted 24/11/2010 at 08:14:00

I'm pretty sure old Olger is going to pick him for it, and not only that but they're trying to get him over in December for their pre-cup camp. Load of bollocks, Everton pay his extremely inflated wages so he can play for us in the Premier League which is our bread and butter.

If players want the same rights as other workers in regards to freedom of contracts etc, then the clubs need to have the same rights as other businesses for retention of staff under contract. Can't see the CEO of Qantas popping off to work for say Bank of Ireland for a couple of months can you?

I know it's a Fifa sanctioned tournament and all that but if Australia or any other African team want our employees to go and work for them for 4-6 weeks then they should be made to pay for it. When Tim comes down under he'll be all over the telly promoting the Socceroos and earning them and himself a few quid from sponsors, what's in it for Everton, eh?

Bugger all... and a good chance he'll come back crocked like a lot of our other players do when away on International duty.

Ciaran Duff
10   Posted 24/11/2010 at 09:00:36

Martin,

I'll tell you what's in it for Everton mate ? a hell of a lot of negative press here in Australia. Its a Fifa-approved tournament, so Tim can go. What's the point in Moyes moaning about it through the press? What ? he didn't know it was on the horizon? Many would argue that it's part and parcel of signing a player allowing them to fulfill their International duties.

As we all know, Tim Cahill has done a huge amount to raise the profile of Everton in Australia and beyond. So, it does work both ways. (I'll grant you that the pre tournament training is bollox.)

Martin Faulkner
11   Posted 24/11/2010 at 09:13:23

It's beyond the negative press though, Ciaran, 6 weeks of Tim Cahill being away (if they get him in December) equates to a hell of a lot of money, probably in the region of £300,000, god knows how much in dropped points, which equates to more lost prize money for league position.

It's not just Tim and the Australian case I'm trying to point out here, it's all the internationals and how the clubs (which are essentially businesses according to players when they negotiate these contracts) are forced to let their employees go work for someone else? How long was Fella out for after going to play for Belgium? What's lost in wages to the Afcon?

The money in the game is too much now for clubs to ignore, Fifa needs to compensate clubs for their loss for these sanctioned tournaments.

Lee Courtliff
12   Posted 24/11/2010 at 14:03:50

Jimmy Hacking ? I am getting the feeling that political correctness is not very high on your list of priorities! I know it's annoying but let's be fair. If you have international players in your team, you have to accept that they will at some point play international football.

It is not up to us to decide which tournaments are worthy/unworthy. If I played in South America and had the chance to play for England in the European Championships, I wouldn't let anyone stop me! No way. And I promise I will not get "tapped up" like shithouse Barmby and all of a sudden pretend I'am a lifelong Redshite fan!

Jimmy Hacking
13   Posted 24/11/2010 at 19:44:37

My post was a little over the top admittedly, but I stand by (most) of what I said.

I really dont see the point of Cahill scoring a hat-trick against Bangladesh in front of 200 Quatari schoolkids and a handful of Fifa dignitaries when he could (and should) be playing for us.

And if he picks up an injury, we'll never hear the last of it...