Members:   Log In Sign Up

Arteta's Winter Break

Call me cynical if you like, but does anyone else think Arteta might have had less than retaliatory thoughts on his mind when he decided to extract revenge for the Baines's elbow on Saturday?

His overall contribution has recently (since signing his contract coincidentally!!??) clearly waned, he's miles off the pace, and his free kicks and corners have started to attract the criticism, in my opinion long overdue, that they deserve.

Now, I may be wrong and hopefully I am, but it will be interesting to see where Mikel spends the next few weeks during his suspension.

Ploughing a lone furrow like some Rockyesque type figure trying to get his fitness and all round game up to an acceptable level ? or enjoying a few weeks of warmth in sunny Spain with a cold beer in his hand?

Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time a player got himself deliberately sent off to have a break now... would it???

John Reilly, Manchester     Posted 30/11/2010 at 12:40:46

Comments

Dave Smith
1   Posted 30/11/2010 at 14:23:31

I don't know if Arteta did it on purpose, but I do know that he has been needed to be droped for some time.

Nothing like an injury or suspension to force Moyes's hand, I suspose.

The silver lining is that we should be more dangerous at set pieces for the next 3 games.
Ray Robinson
2   Posted 30/11/2010 at 14:27:39

And there's little old me thinking it was just a case of seeing the red mist descend. Gosh, I'm naive.
Ian Kearney
3   Posted 30/11/2010 at 14:50:22

Talk about kicking a man when he's down, it appears Arteta's not the only one good at it.

I will reiterate what I said when Fellaini kicked out, it was a mistake, it doesnt matter how much money you earn, it does not turn you into a robot incapable of human error.
Paul Olsen
4   Posted 30/11/2010 at 15:17:10

Ok, you asked for it.

I'll call you cynical.

Cynical!
Ryan Holroyd
5   Posted 30/11/2010 at 15:39:18

Talk about been paronoid.

Jesus.
Micheal Lynch
6   Posted 30/11/2010 at 14:53:24

That's some load of shit. One year back from a serious knee injury. He is having a dip in form. Happens to every player in the world. Rest him don't play him ? that's what you do.

The stamp is out of pure frustration. He could have gone back to Spain this season but stayed loyal. Ok, he is on good money but nevertheless, he ain't spouting the same shit as Johnny H.

To me he looks disillusioned by the whole thing. He stayed signed a new contract. Probably thought we were not too far away from making a breakthrough... Plus, in my opinion, he should be playing much furthur forward than he is.

Blame Moyes if you want to blame anyone. His approach to football would probably see Messi lose interest.

Jon Ferguson
7   Posted 30/11/2010 at 15:58:23

I don't think he deliberately thought to himself he wanted a three game rest, but it was a ridiculous thing to do and you could straight away see he was gone.

I've hero worshiped Arteta, but he's been awful this year. A three game ban may prove good for us. A midfield pairing of Felliani and Rodwell may be given a chance to develop, I think this could be an excellent pairing.
Leon Perrin
8   Posted 30/11/2010 at 16:30:58

Not guilty, m'lud.
David Mathieson
9   Posted 30/11/2010 at 16:21:41

Arteta has been asked to play as a d/m hence him not looking the same player, our most creative player at d/m!? It has cost us a few goals as well. Open your eyes blues, you might be suprised what you see.

Typical of Moyes though: First Division manager, First Division football.

Garry Corgan
10   Posted 30/11/2010 at 18:27:37

This would be immeasurably more believable if being suspended meant you didn't have to turn up for training every day...
Jamie Tulacz
11   Posted 30/11/2010 at 19:09:54

Think the stamp was largely out of frustration at the Baggies player hacking at first Baines, then Pienaar, then Arteta himself and getting away with absolutely nothing against him!

Think it might do us a favour in the short term though as hopefully will allow the big Fella and Rodwell to combine in midfield and hopefully shift Heitinga out of midfield. IF these two combine well might mean pushing Arteta out wide when he comes back, which might be best until he (hopefully) rediscovers a bit of form.
Declan Brown
12   Posted 30/11/2010 at 19:36:24

Well said, Garry (#10). The only way he will go back to Spain for a break is if Moyes lets him.
Alan Mullally
13   Posted 30/11/2010 at 22:28:56

While I agree that Arteta hasn't been anywhere near his best this season, I think you're taking things a bit far. Bainesy was floored by Jara and Pienaar went for him. Then Arteta got him and Cahill got him later on as well. That's called sticking up for your team mates. If the ref isn't gonna do it then, if I was Bainesy, I would be glad to have team mates like that, who do!!

BTW, Arteta is from San Sebastian, which is most likely as cold, if not much colder than Liverpool at this time of year. Even Madrid was getting snow this week, so I seriously doubt that he's got the idea of heading over for a bit of sun, beer in hand and all that. If anything, he might be thinking about his wife and kid who he doesn't see to often.

Whatever the case, I think it's very cynical to think that he was looking to get sent off in that tackle with Jara so that he could head home for a break. Don't blame the team's performances on Arteta. He's not the only underperforming player this season.

Ernie McAllister
14   Posted 01/12/2010 at 02:14:59

Ryan Holroyd ? and let's talk about you being naive.

Arteta has been shite all season long... incapable of taking a free kick or corner and getting it past the front man?

He has been pretty poor on the ball, bad lay offs, needed more than a couple of touches to control it... slowed play down quite a bit.

Yeah, he needs to be removed from the team, because his performances are not even worthy of a reserve team.
KPR Williams
15   Posted 01/12/2010 at 08:29:01

The ref made a decision to 'rest' Arteta. A decision we have all been asking Moyes make for weeks. Let's see what comes of it.