A young pacey forward!

Everton's strikers are struggling to score goals this season. We've got Yak and Beckford with one a piece and Saha not even with one! There is a lad we have sent out on loan to Crystal Palace and he's scoring goals, winning penalties and looks very sharp. I am talking about James Vaughan, and he's finally having an extended run in the Palace team without picking up an injury.

There was talk in the Liverpool Echo the other day suggesting we are selling him for £500k! I think that would be a very bad move, he is still only 22 and I would be extremely disappointed in Moyes if he doesn't get a chance in the first team like everyone else has.

Players like Saha haven't scored in over 9 months and continue to be given chance after chance; Beckford has cost us points by missing big chances at crucial times, so I seriously doubt that Vaughan would do any worse. In fact I think he would do better as he is more of an athlete and will provide us with an outlet upfront, something that we don't seem to have at the moment.

He would also probably put twice the work rate in than Saha and Yak put together, which could give the atmosphere and team a new lease of life! Surely he is worth a chance!
Anthony Millington, Wirral     Posted 02/12/2010 at 11:40:15

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 02/12/2010 at 15:01:24

I think we just had this topic the other day, Anthony. Guess you missed it...
Terry Downes
2   Posted 02/12/2010 at 15:44:49

Brett Angell would be an improvement at the moment.
Lee Courtliff
3   Posted 02/12/2010 at 16:23:46

I like James Vaughan but I thought he had only scored in 3 games this season? I am not slagging him for this but it's not exactly world beating form is it? I would still have him over Saha though. Seamus and James in the same team would at least have some passion for us to witness. I say give Vaughan one more chance with us but I doubt he will be the mythical "20 goal a season" striker we are desperate for!
Chris Keightley
4   Posted 02/12/2010 at 16:31:48

Unfortunately, he is not Prem standard ? I'd even prefer Jason Roberts to him and that's saying something!!
Anthony Millington
5   Posted 02/12/2010 at 16:55:46

He's scored 5 in 12 I think in a poor Palace side. That's nothing special I know, but he's only going to get better with more games and he looks like a handful for defenders, more than our strikers at the moment.

Lee, we simply cannot afford a 20 goal striker. It would be a disaster to lose another young talent for for £500k, after Gosling went on a free and Sky are reporting that Victor might be leaving on a free in the summer when his contract is up too.

Larry Boner
6   Posted 02/12/2010 at 17:32:42

I cannot believe the report on this site that Anichebe is 6 months from the end of his contract.
What the fuck is going on at this club, we seem to have no business acumen at all, we are potentially losing another few million quid on a young player that would generate a decent interest from the lower half of PL teams and the upper echelon of Championship sides, I mean DJ Campbell is playing week in week out for Blackpool, surely Vaughan and Anichebe must generate £5m, young lads etc, or am I the same fucking idiot who pays early for his season ticket every year expecting things to change (Einstien, you were right and now I know you were referring to Evertonians) ?
Colin Smith
7   Posted 02/12/2010 at 19:35:39

I agree with Lee (no.3), Vaughan has to be worth another shot. I just do not see what attributes Beckford has that Vaughan lacks. Vaughan has better touch & at least as good a tactical brain. Also, Vaughan looks to be quicker & has more heart. Beckford is taller so, in theory, might be better in the air, but I have not seen much evidence of this so far.
Dave Charles
8   Posted 02/12/2010 at 20:11:38

'Pacey'. I'd like to see our football pacey all over the pitch. Never mind a pacey forward, we need pace all over.
John Daley
9   Posted 02/12/2010 at 20:45:50

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Vaughan (in a non hom way, like) and would be sorry to see him leave the club, especially for such a derisory amount. He looked to have outstanding potential when he first broke into the first team and has always shown great endeavour and enthusiasm for the cause.

Yes he's had persistent injury problems but so has Saha and he's still getting a run out at every opportunity, despite displaying dismal form since the
turn of the year. On the rare occasions Vaughan has been fit he's never really been given a chance, apart from the usual David Moyes patented 10 minute run out here and there. He came into the side last year and scored twice in consecutive games only to be unceremoniously binned off again.

I think his goalscoring record for Everton stands at 9 goals in 11 starts. The goal he got at Birmingham a few years ago demonstrates what he could possibly bring to the side. He'd just come on as sub, there was basically a long punt down field and he was on it in a flash, outpaced the defenders and rifled it in the bottom corner with the outside of his boot. Would Beckford have scored in a similar situation? Certainly not at the moment.

With our current forwards showing the killer instinct of Ganhi and the work rate of Shannon Matthews mum, surely it's worth giving him another chance when his loan comes to an end. What have we got to lose? Apart from £500,000 that is (Cut to Bill Kenwright rubbing his hands together and apologetically turning out his bare pockets).
John Daley
10   Posted 02/12/2010 at 21:31:47

Ganhi? That should read Gandhi! Apologies Mohatma me old mucker.
Derek Thomas
11   Posted 03/12/2010 at 08:14:54

Vaughan over Saha any day. Him and Beckford could do no worse.

If / when he does come back, will Moyes play 4-4-2 or just for the last 'x' mins when it's too late?
KPR Williams
12   Posted 03/12/2010 at 08:27:02

I always like a forward who doesn't give defenders a minute on the ball... Defend from the front as is often said.

Personally, I just want every man in an Everton shirt to try ...and Vaughan certainly does that. Wonder how many he might have scored had he spent the minutes on the pitch Saha had since February last season???

Tony Waring
13   Posted 03/12/2010 at 09:36:17

We should definitely hang on to James Vaughan. He has most of the required attributes of a striker and, now he appears to have recovered from his injury problems, is well worth an extended run in an Everton shirt. As others have said ? he's as good as anyone else in the squad... and he's keen.
Adam Carey
14   Posted 03/12/2010 at 14:34:28

Though James has scored 5 in 12, I'm sure 3 were in one game? Still, 2 in 11 is still better than any of our 'strike' force at the mo...

Do you reckon Brett still has his boots ready?

Paul Joy
15   Posted 03/12/2010 at 16:04:22

From the time he returned after he got his foot sliced open he was never the same player. Pacy yes but a bit of a headless chicken ever since. A great pity.

Louis Saha ? sublime talent, heartless, hypochondriac, bone idle

Yak ? fat

Victor Anichebe ? see Yak and Saha (minus talent)

Jermaine Beckford ? keeps making runs and getting on the end of things but can't hit a barn door from a yard at the moment.

We have suffered up front all season and I have confidence in none of the above.
Colin Smith
16   Posted 03/12/2010 at 16:28:30

John, spot in saying Vaughan was only given 10min cameos last season. For reasons that are way beyond me, the worst Brazillian ever to put on football boots always seem to be higher up the pecking order. I do not follow Moyes & his striking choices, he can pick good defenders & midfield players - but has problems with forwards. Beattie, an overweight, slow version of Jo, AJ, willing to run all day - but to no real effect. Big Vic, a Nigerian Jo, the Yak, Moyes does not seem to believe in him any more, Saha, great on his day, will his day ever come again? Beckford - the jury is still out - is the most positive thing I can say.
Lee Courtliff
17   Posted 03/12/2010 at 18:01:45

Anthony (#5). He has got 5 goals but 3 came in one game. I do realise we cannot afford a proven 20-goal-a-season striker, I was just saying I do not think Vaughan will become that man. I like the lad, just can't see him becoming our main goalscorer. I would definitely keep him though, give him another chance. Why not? We are not signing anyone anytime soon are we?