Moyes the Geordie?

With Chris Hughton just getting the shove, and the Newcastle board saying they are looking for a manager with Premier League experience, I'm just wondering what fellow Toffeewebbers feel are the chances that Newcastle may go for Moyes and successfully get him?

I feel fairly certain they'll make an enquiry but it'll come to nothing.

Sean Smythe, Cheshire     Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:05:00

Comments

Kunal Desai
1   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:41:26

He certainly won't get 9 years in a job there. That's for certain!
Steve Guy
2   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:43:59

There's plenty who'd see it as the best Christmas present they'd ever had if TW is anything to go by.
KPR Williams
3   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:01:26

Maybe we could get Hughton, cheap and cheerful, fits our bill
...
Daniel Johnson
4   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:08:11

Not that I condone the barcodes behaviour in the treatment/sacking of Hughton at least the board have the bottle to act.

Unlike Blue Bill who needs his penis surgically removing from Moyes arse.
KPR Williams
5   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:12:37

Envious of the Newcastle Board?

Get a grip!
Jay Wilson
6   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:15:20

Yes the Newcastle board have acted and my money will be on them playing in the Championship next year. Chris Hughton did a fabulous job for them. The barcodes are run by morons.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:16:27

They should have paid him off the moment promotion was guaranteed and brought in Sven.
Houghton is one of those perenial assistant managers who come unstuck when taking the top job. They'd have been fighting relegation this year with him and should have traded up in the summer.
Daniel Johnson
8   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:14:46

@ KPR Williams

At least they can make the tough call.

Moyes could bang Kenwright's wife, burn down Goodison, sell half the team to fund a property abroad and he wouldn't get the sack.

Newcastle obviously looked at the WBA result (a fellow promoted team) and thought, "Okay, enough... time to act".

We've been beaten by WBA and Newcastle... AT HOME. Yet Moyes still has his comfy slippers under the desk, no pressure from above at all.
James Stewart
9   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:16:05

No way. Apart from Hatem B Arfa the Newcastle team is terrible, who would want to go there!
Dave Charles
10   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:14:30

What can they offer that he doesn't have here. There won't be much more if any money available to get in players like Osman and Hibbert etc. Plus, that club is cursed for some reason.
Leon Perrin
11   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:06:59

Doubtless assistant coach Round is detailing Moyes on the perils and general insanity that pervades at NUFC and how only a desperate man would take the job.

Moyes should be installed by this time next week.
Phil Martin
12   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:26:30

@ Daniel Johnson Post 8:

"Moyes could, burn down Goodison, sell half the team to fund a property abroad and he wouldn't get the sack."

Hasn't Blue Bill already tried to do this?
James I'Anson
13   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:34:50

Dave (10)
You can guarantee 100% that their transfer kitty will be bigger than ours. That's presuming we've even got one.
KPR Williams
14   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:33:07

Daniel,

Can you even count how many "'tough calls" they have made since Moyes came to Everton and they were one of the 'Big 4'?

Revolving door policy ? and they are probably still paying the wages of a couple of ex-managers.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
15   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:43:56

Jaysus, guys, can we have just a bit less of the nonsense, please!

Daniel, your posts are shameful, disgusting and libelous. Pack it in, please.
David S Shaw
16   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:40:49

I wouldn't blame Moyes for being interested. It would be interesting to see what Moyes could do with money if Newcastle give him time.

I'm surprised Chris Hughton got the sack though, to be honest.
James Cadwaladr
17   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:00:23

Ashley won't pay a manager the same money Moyes is on at Everton.
David O'Keefe
18   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:08:04

Michael: If that's the case then you should delete them. I don't want a writ to be served against TW.
Jimmy Hacking
19   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:13:56

Can't see Moyes going there. I don't see the sense in it for him anyway. Talk about a backward move.

I reckon Newcastle will go for a proven less stellar manager, like Curbishley or "Pards" (who is massive favourite at the bookies). Or a promising up-and-comer maybe like Paul Lambert.
Stephen Kenny
20   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:15:20

Einstein's theory about stupidity/insanity would go down a treat on their boardroom wall.
Jon Ferguson
21   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:03:27

Newcastle are a disgraceful club supported by ridiculous fans.

They got themselves relegated by expecting to be winning the league and doing so playing like Bacalona or Brazil, completely forgetting they are a club who haven?t won a trophy for over 50 years. The media hyped them up as a GREAT club because they have a few idiots who take their tops of in the middle of winter despite the Baltic winds.

Moyes wouldn?t go there because he knows you need stability to build a team which you would never get there.

Newcastle is an example of the fans' expectations being detrimental to their club. They?ve just got promoted and are sitting pretty in 11th almost half way through the season and they sack their manager?!?!?! They got themselves relegated and will do so again if they are not careful.

I?ve been disappointed with the season and I think that a lot of the problems have been Moyes's mistakes (playing Saha when Yakubu looked like he was coming into form, dropping Coleman when he looked like the only threat from midfield etc etc), but Moyes has over the last eight years got us back amongst the top 8, playing in Europe and going to Wembley. I still think this season can be turned around. A top seven finish to get us in Europe and for the optimistic amongst us there is still the FA Cup.

I?d think we should think long and hard if we could attract anyone who could do any better. I?d like to think Everton fans aren?t as fickle as our Geordie counterparts.
Andrew Clare
22   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:31:36

What a club Newcastle United are! A disgraceful decision.
Daniel Johnson
23   Posted 06/12/2010 at 18:04:04

@ Kenrick

Sorry, mate, but the mere thought of Moyes and Kenwright turns me into a keyboard warrior.

Will try and toe the line...
Nelaj Behajiha
24   Posted 06/12/2010 at 18:07:58

Not gonna happen. I doubt even Moyes would be that stupid to go to Newcastle.
Marc Williams
25   Posted 06/12/2010 at 18:07:30

As I've posted on here a few times, I've had a feeling that Moyes would end up at Newcastle. If they are prepared to pay the wages then I'd say he'll be off. He's done all he can at Everton & his tenure has that stale 'End of days' stench about it. He needs the change as much as we do, just to freshen both him & us up with a new challenge.
I
Ashley needs a guy who can over acheive on a tight budget; they have a big stadium & decent gates. So if Moyes could do for them what he initially did for us; then, unlike Kenwright, Ashley would sell to one of the many consortia who have shown an interest.
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 06/12/2010 at 18:22:01

Jon Ferguson, excellent post. However, I feel the time has come for David Moyes. If Newcastle offered decent compensation, I think it would be great for everyone. He'd do a good job there and we can move on. Save money on his salary, pay Bolton compensation and have a few quid to spare. There is nothing to fear. Marc, you are right.
Daniel Johnson
27   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:10:20

I'm based in the NE and the bookies have stopped taking bets on Alan Pardew.

The cockney mafia strikes again for Newcastle.
Rob Murphy
28   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:16:05

Ashley should give Maradona the Newcastle job... now that would be a marriage made in heaven!!!
Simon Jenkins
29   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:17:26

#10 Daniel ? ignoring your immature comments for a moment, that same Newcastle board that 'made a tough call' also ignored wins against Arsenal and Chelsea ? both AWAY FROM HOME! ? as well as a 5-0 thrashing of derby rivals Sunderland. They are a newly promoted team who have spent no money and sit in 11th place. It's a disgraceful decision to sack him, unwarranted and on a par with City getting rid of Hughes last season (actually, probably a worse decision than that).

Thankfully, at least our board ? for all their many documented faults ? don't knee-jerk quite so horrifically. Moyes doesn't have 'comfy slippers under the table' ? he has respect that he has duly earned over the past 8+ years. That's the massive difference.
Antony Matthews
30   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:24:47

I don't think Dan Gosling would be happy if DM did take the job. Somehow, I don't think he will get a Christmas Card either off him.
Jon Cox
31   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:19:07

Moyes could be the new Rooney.

Terry Hayes
32   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:31:31

Moyes could use Newcastle as a half-way house on his journey to his ultimate destination, Celtic Park.

Seriously though I don't see him leaving Everton until he has won something. His CV makes for a boring read at the moment; he won't leave until there is something on it.

Joe McMahon
33   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:35:25

Just shows how safe Moyes's job is, isn't it. 5-year contract of £3.5million a year, beaten by Newcastle and West Brom at home, 3 wins all season, near the relegation places, and he will never get the shove.

I loathe Kenwright for giving such a massive contract to a manager who has hasn't had success. Don't say "FA Cup Final" please ? so have Cardiff.

Paul Thompson
34   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:26:51

Moyes won't be going to Newcastle. Idiot owner, revolving door, little money. Their fans are gutted (check out their websites) and those who support other clubs gobsmacked.

The only decision that would amaze the rest of football even more is Everton sacking David Moyes. That's not going to happen either, despite the endless tirades of a substantial minority on this site.

Mark Stone
35   Posted 06/12/2010 at 20:13:35

The new NUFC manager (and its not David Moyes) has already confirmed that he will be taking the job. This was subject to certain backroom changes ? but now these demands HAVE already been made.
Kunal Desai
36   Posted 06/12/2010 at 20:32:03

Martin Jol has just resigned. I wonder if he'll take the barcodes job?
John Ford
37   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:02:17

Why don't we have a revolving door policy, yeh becasue of course sacking a manager is a show of strength.

Get real. Tell me one other manager outside of the Sky Four with a record as good as Moyes. No? Didn't think so.
Alan Clarke
38   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:18:25

This proves the point that Moyes will never leave. There've been two jobs suitable for him ? Villa and now Newcastle ? and he hasn't taken them. There's no way one of the Champions League clubs would take him, so that's it ? we're stuck with the dour negative twat.
Joe McMahon
39   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:09:36

John ? depending on which version of the Sky four? Harry Redknapp. But please realise only Ferguson & Wenger have been in their jobs longer than Moyes. Remember, 9 years is a long time.

Steve McClaren won the League Cup with Boro and got them to a Uefa Cup Final, in a lot less than 9 years.
Peter Fearon
40   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:28:05

John Ford, in terms of trophies won, Harry Redknapp has a better record, actually having won a trophy. Otherwise, everyone outside the top four has exactly the same record as DM. Nowt.

But John, that's not the only way you judge a manager. You have to look at the quality of the football being played. And David Moyes has ceased to improve on the quality of the football on display. It was good for a while but now he would be better off elsewhere and we would be better off with someone else.

For all the criticism of Newcastle for firing Hughton, it's a gutsy move and Martin Jol, if it is him, may well do a good job for them. Watch out for them in the FA Cup.

There's a reason Wenger is still in charge of Arsenal. There's a reason Ferguson is still in charge of MUFC. There's no similar good reason for Moyes to be still manager of Everton except that Kenwright is comfortable with him. Too comfortable.

Gavin Ramejkis
41   Posted 06/12/2010 at 22:02:49

The skunks are as potless as we are, they have a small squad through lack of money and, even though their Steven Seagal kickback did get an Engerland call-up, I don't look on them with envy.
Paul Holmes
42   Posted 06/12/2010 at 23:21:39

Newcastle sacked Chris Houghton because they want a manager to move them forward. Newcastle beat us at Goodison Park and we are below them in the league. What does that say about Everton and Moyes?

Time for a change...400 games, 8¾ years ? enough said! Get Owen Coyle or Glen Hoddle... time for a change and fresh, new ideas and tactics.

Vijay Badhan
43   Posted 06/12/2010 at 22:44:47

I think it is an absolute disgrace that Bill Kenwright does not appear to have enough guts to sack David Moyes. The man has run out of ideas in much the same way that Kenwright has no funds to take the club forward... but neither seems to be leaving anytime soon, so we are stuck in a rut with no money, no new ground, no transfer funds, no investment etc. Maybe the only way to get rid of the chuckle brothers is to start organising mass protests at every game, maybe then they will really feel the wrath and discontentment that me and I assume most Everton fans feel at the minute.

Also what really gets on my nerves is so called fans that feel other fans do not have the right to criticise the team or certain players that are simply not good enough. My belief is, as a supporter you, have the every right to comment on the team and individual players' performances, whether positive or negative.

I do feel that the squad has some very good players but Moyes is not really tactically aware enough or brave enough to make the right decisions and this is costing us. Numerous examples of this can be found: Howard being picked continuously even when he has lost us minimum 9 points so far this season; Hibbert still playing for us after being exposed as rubbish time and time again ? The FA Cup Final and the recent embarrassment by WBA ? 3 goals in my eyes that he was directly to blame for showing their player inside towards goal instead of outwards away from goal which any decent defender would do.

And finally Leon Osman who is a player that I do not rate and never will. He has no strength, a powder-puff shot and just generally irritates me as I do not think he is good enough for the first team when we have the likes of Rodwell, Pienaar, Bily, Cahill, Fellaini, Arteta all vying for places in the midfield, but because these are Moyes Boys he keeps playing them regardless.

I believe Moyes has definitely taken us as far as he ever will and after 8¾ years in charge I do not feel we are any closer to a trophy and I doubt very much we will ever win one under him.

Using excuses like he hasn't had the money doesn't wash anymore. £15M for Fellaini, £10M for Bily, £5M for Heitinga, £5M for Jagielka, £5M for Baines and £11M for Yak does not back up his case very well, I cant believe the amount of awards that he gets for winning nothing in 8 years!!!!!!!

I am fast losing patience with him and to be honest the club to. I grew up with the fantastic sides of the 80s and watching this rabble week-in, week-out ? besides a few players like Cahill, Baines & Distin I find it a joke that people compare this side to H.k's 80's bunch. Not fit to lace their boots in my eyes.

Ryan Jones
44   Posted 07/12/2010 at 00:11:46

So we'd rather have a crackhead like Ashley in charge of our club, so he could sack Moyes??? Brilliant lads, Brilliant. Every Geordie I know seems to be pretty pissed at the decision to sack Hughton, because he was doing well with what little he had. Does that sound familiar? Hmmm, Yup. Moyes cannot improve without the money, simple!
Jay Harris
45   Posted 07/12/2010 at 00:46:09

Paul what makes you think Owen Coyle would come to EFC and what has he ever done that Moyes hasnt?

If we are going to improve on Moyes, we need a top class coach like Pelegrini and a decent board to back him.

IMO, we need to start by changing the board.
James I'Anson
46   Posted 07/12/2010 at 01:00:23

If Moyes fucks off, we'll be lucky to get Phil Neville.... Who will we blame then?
John Daley
47   Posted 07/12/2010 at 03:03:30

"What makes you think Owen Coyle would come to EFC and what has he ever done that Moyes hasn't?"

Got an unfashionable club promoted to the Premier League ? something Moyes failed to do with Preston.

In his first year in charge he's effortlessly transformed Bolton's one-dimensional style of play and actually provided their fans with some entertaining attacking football for once ? something Moyes has failed to do in 9 years at Goodison.

Not that I think he's the answer for Everton or anything. Don't think I could bring myself to trust a manager who sits in the dugout sporting skimpy eighties style shorts every Saturday.
Ernie Baywood
48   Posted 07/12/2010 at 09:00:37

I've seen and heard a lot of people say that it's a disgraceful sacking and that Hughton had done a great job at NUFC.

The thing is, I expect people would say the same if Everton sacked Moyes. I don't think most Evertonians would feel that way, though.
Mark Stone
49   Posted 07/12/2010 at 08:55:33

Vijay:

1) Whilst to us they sound like big sums of money, the reality is that when expressed relative to what the clubs who are winning things have spent ? it's a pittance;

2) Unlike the clubs who are winning things, Moyes has always had to sell, to buy ? it's not like money just appeared from a wealthy invester and he was able to build strength in depth ? he's merely replaced one player for another; and finally

3) Your crude analysis does not account for the fact that Moyes is also limited by wages ? not just transfer fees. It's ok having £15M to buy a player but most £15M players will want big, big money which Everton simply don't have. In recent years we have lost out on players like Lorik Cana to teams such as Sunderland for as little as £5M ? not because we couldn't afford the transfer fee but because we couldn't pay his wages.

Bearing this ? and the quality required ? in mind, Moyes has a very small pool of players to choose from. He's done incredibly well.

Richard Dodd
50   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:08:56

That we are blessed with the most sensible and decent chairman in the game comes home to me every time I read about the sufferings of the likes of Newcastle and Chelsea fans because of the shenanigans of their incumbents. Blue Bill for ever, I say!
Alan Clarke
51   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:31:02

Richard, you've been Moyes's biggest critic recently so why is Kenwright doing such a good job?
Richard Dodd
52   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:59:51

Because we haven`t had to suffer a change of manager every year like the Barcodes have!
Gavin Ramejkis
53   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:59:33

No Doddy that would be the same Black Bill, the cancer at the heart of the club, that muzzled the shareholders, split the fanbase, tried to sell the club to some shithole retail park at the arse end of Knowsley, with a track record of bullshitisms even Gillian McKeith would be proud of. Bang on cue, as we are doing shite, your hero has done his usual shithouse trick of disappearing again.
Tom Fearon
54   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:52:11

I see in the Guardian today the headline: "Baines praises Moyes"... "the manager has done a fantastic job at the club" he says.

I suppose the host of Moyes haters who are attracted to this site will claim that Baines has to say that, or he has said it but does not mean it. But I believe that Baines has been accurately quoted and does mean it and futhermore that all or many of his team mates feel the same way.

Perhaps they are incapable of judging managerial shortcomings that are seemingly so evident to others more distant from the action. But if Moyes were to go we could try to attract the highly successful Alan Pardew who the bookies see as favourite for the Newcastle job. Now that's a comforting thought.

KPR Williams
55   Posted 07/12/2010 at 11:15:06

Owen Coyle?

How would that be a forward step?
Alan Clarke
56   Posted 07/12/2010 at 11:37:40

Tom, if you're playing in a team where the manager picks you and your place isn't under threat, why would you say anything negative? Just because Baines says he's doing a good job doesn't mean he is. Baines is a defender and probably likes Moyes's defensive system. I bet if you interviewed Arteta and our other attacking players right now, they wouldn't be so complimentary.

We wouldn't be stuck with someone like Pardew. The only reason he's getting the job is because he's Ashley's mate.

This shit scaredness amongst fans is what is holding us back. It frustrates me, this wimpy attitude where you're quivering in your boots ? "we'd better not get rid of Moyes in case it doesn't work out and we go down. We're better off where we are, watching shite football in the lower half not getting relegated." Fuck that ? I want a manager who wants to entertain and win something.

Matthew Mackey
57   Posted 07/12/2010 at 12:54:39

So, would you like our club to be managed like Newcastle United then and have an owner like Mike Ashley? The "Moyes Out" brigade must have been wringing their hands when they saw Sean's article published here. They must have been salivating at yet another opportunity to winge from the heart rather then speak from the head. Especially you Daniel #8. WTF are you on?

In the nine years that Moyes has been at Everton, Newcastle have probably had more than nine managers, a spell in the Championship and an ego the size of fucking Iceland. Newcastle, as a club are a laughing stock and just when they were starting to remove that tag, they go and stick it back on.

Moyes ain't goin to Newcastle. He may be questionable in some of his team selections and formations this season but he ain't stupid.

Everton/Moyes & Kenwright or Newcastle/Ashley & AN Other.... It's a no-brainer, give me our set-up any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy at the moment with Moyes and our lowly position, in fact I'm pretty pissed off with it, but to use the Mike Ashley approach to running a football club rather then a Bill Kenwright approach is suicidal.

Judge the two clubs and their opposite way of doing things at the end of the season and I'll bet you a cows arse and some monkeys bollocks that we end up above half way and they now end up fighting relegation.

ps: The sacking of Chris Houghton (I think) was a stupid, stupid decision and one that the barcodes will regret. I wish him (Chris Houghton) all the best wherever he ends up.
Tom Fearon
58   Posted 07/12/2010 at 12:59:24

Alan (56), Baines does not have to praise Moyes in the way that he did, nor did he need to implicate his team mates. And while I agree that Baines's views on this matter do not constitute proof, to conjure up an imaginary neagative response from other players is clutching at straws.

I am not a 'wimp' and nor do I 'quiver in my boots'. You should not assume that supporters who fail to share your views are either unimaginative, or lack ambition. I do not care if you are frustrated but I do care for our club. Given our financial shortcomings Moyes has been, and is, an excellent manager. Ditching him is not an automatic passport to a world of trophy success.

Mark Stone
59   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:38:54

Haha, Tom - all the players who come out in support of their manager are 'Moyes apologists' - clearly.
Anthony Hughes
60   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:45:21

Tom, Moyes is not an "excellent manager". He's done a good job relative to the resources he's had but to describe him as excellent stretches it too far.

I agree ditching him is not an automatic passport to trophy success but to believe that if we lost him we would be automatically relegated or nobody could do a better job is also naive. If we go on that basis then Moyes will be here for the rest of his life regardless of never winning a trophy or how good or bad we are.

Paul Holmes
61   Posted 07/12/2010 at 17:50:36

We were told by Moyes that this is the best squad of players he has had in his time at Everton... Liverpool fans say this is the worst squad they have had in years (demonstrations against the previous owners etc etc). Look at the league, we still can't get above them, even when they're shite. I say let somebody else have a go, new ideas, new tactics and new hope for the fans!
Lee Courtliff
62   Posted 07/12/2010 at 19:12:45

Did someone say Glenn Hoddle? What exactly has he done that makes you think he would be better than Moyes?

The last I heard he was (admirably) helping kids over in Spain find a way into the pro game. He did nothing at Spurs and has done nothing since. Owen Coyle, fair enough... but Glender? Come on, mate.

Leon Perrin
63   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:38:51

Mathew @ 57

For all you say about Newcastle, under Keegan Mk1 they broke the mold.

Down among the dead men they got promotion and had a right go at the Prem ? not with hoofball but flair and attacking football.

If you ask neutrals who's the bigger club ? Everton or Newcastle? ? don't be surprised if you get the answer you don't want to hear, all based on that short-lived renaissance.
The fact Keegan became a basket-case shouldn't disguise the power of giving your supporters hope.

Vijay Badhan
64   Posted 08/12/2010 at 01:51:46

Mark! What what be your solution to the problems that we currently face? Do you think that we should carry on blindly following and supporting David Moyes and not question what he does, because that's the way it appears to me! Crude assessment? Fans like you with your blind support for Moyes are in the the minority.

If Moyes is so restricted by wages then maybe he should take a pay cut. Is he not the 3rd highest paid manager in the PL after Wenger and Fergy?

What excuse will fans like you use when the new Financing rules from Fifa are implemented? Find another excuse to hide behind probably.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
65   Posted 08/12/2010 at 05:25:18

Vijay, please speak for yourself only. You have no knowledge of how the majority or minority of Evertonians feel about anything.