Would You Accept Lescott Back?

I?m probably going to run the risk getting it in the neck, but on Saturday I read in The Times that Lescott was probably going to be put on the transfer list at Manchester City in January. When I read the article I did actually find his fall from grace quite funny, but another thought came in to my head...

In my opinion, Everton have never been the same since his departure. I think we need a defender who's confident on the ball and can also chip in with a few goals. Personally, I feel Everton fans are being a bit hypocritical in this case as we signed Lescott from another club in the first place. He was not a local lad and had no affiliation towards Everton, unlike a well known Adulterer.

I also believe that there were other guilty parties involved in his transfer. Manchester City undoubtedly crossed the line in their attempts to sign him. Mark Hughes behaved disgracefully during the whole saga, constantly talking about him and their mission to sign him.

But anyway I believe that nowadays the vast majority of players are mercenaries and, as a player put it last year ?Football is a job; when I?m in work I try my best for my employers, but I?m constantly looking to find better employers and a better job?.

I would happily welcome Lescott back if he put in 100% and played well if it meant is finishing higher in the table.
Nelaj Behajiha, Liverpool     Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:26:26

Comments

Ste Boyle
1   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:48:56

Nope. Got what he deserved.
Jimmy Hacking
2   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:49:30

Yes of course I would accept him back, he spent 3 excellent years at the club. His partnership with Jagielka was, for me, the real reason why we kept finishing in the top 6.

Anyone who doesn't want him back for some ludicrous "lack of respect" reason needs to get their head out of the sand and realise that we aren't living in the Stanley Matthews era of football.

Plus, we can probably convince those morons at Eastlands to subsidise his wages just to get him off the books.
Andy Mack
3   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:53:51

Don't think we could even scrape up the deposit. We really miss his goal that's for sure. A goalscoring defender would come in handy to turn a few of these draws into wins. 'Never happen though.
Kunal Desai
4   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:44:48

"The grass isn't always greener" - If he went to City for footballing terms then he made a huge mistake, but I doubt this was the case, he ofcourse went for the money.

In a nustshell good player, but no I wouldn't have him back, theres no reason to suggest he wouldn't repeat the same fiasco again like he did last summer.
The bigger picture in any case would be that we wouldn't match his wages or the transfer fee city are after.

After a rocky start Distin's done well so far but he's also getting on a bit and with Heitinga possibly on his way out, we do need another defender sadly I don't think Lescott is or will be the answer.

From a personal point of view the grass definately ain't greener on the other side, which i've experienced once, but I guess there always that risk in any form of employment when trying to better ones self.
Chris Perry
5   Posted 06/12/2010 at 15:59:27

Can we get him back for a packet of polos and a kojak lolly? That's about the deal the mugs at the club would put forward. Dream on... no money, no prospects, no silverware, no hope.
Dave Charles
6   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:08:47

No, 12 months earlier he shook hands with his manager on a decent contract at Everton. His attitude towards Moyes and the behaviour of Man City and Mark Hughes was disgraceful. He won't be the last player to do this type of thing and when they've gone, they've gone. No going back.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:11:47

We couldn't afford the guy. Plus he did bugger off for cash. If it were a team of prestige and history etc then fair enough, but the only draw Man City have is the pay packet only, at least with Chelsea there were trophies won and CL played before the Ruskie came in and flashed the cash.

Still, unlike most, I have nothing against either the player or that club.

James Stewart
8   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:14:01

No he would cost too much.

I would like to see Heitinga restored to CB instead of signing Lescott as Heitinga is a more complete CB.
KPR Williams
9   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:15:45

Do you reckon Moyes would have him back? Do you reckon the dressing room would welcome him back? Nope on both counts I reckon.

He'll be in the line-up for the Boxing Day fixture...
Phil Martin
10   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:21:46

Don't get me wrong, I detested him for choosing cash over his Everton career. However, surely the ultimate sign of respect is to come back to us and admit he should never have gone?

Two small stumbling blocks would be his wage demands and any transfer fee. As we're so poor we can't even afford to offer any money.

That's the bigger disgrace.
Matt Brown
11   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:19:25

I have to say I'd have him back. Although we sold him for £20+ million, City will want at least £10 million back for him ? there is a 0% chance of him wearing an Everton shirt in the near future again.
Stephen Kenny
12   Posted 06/12/2010 at 16:44:26

He's solid in the tackle, quickish, brilliant in the air and is a regular goalscorer from the back. He is also the best defender Moyes has ever signed, so no I don't want him back. I don't think his behaviour was particularly out of order when he left.
Jon Ferguson
13   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:00:08

No thanks! He refused to train properly, caused problems in the dressing room and sulked his way out of the club.

We don't need massive strengthening at the back anyway. I think Duffy looks a promising prospect.
Ste Lewis
14   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:03:52

ESPN classic 5.35pm Everton Rapid Vienna 1985
David S Shaw
15   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:07:54

Yeah, why not, because he left "the Mighty EFC?" So what, he was great for us, he'd be even better because he's be trying to suck up to us as well.
Andy Codling
16   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:21:45

Fuck him, money-hungry sell-out twat.
Tony J Williams
17   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:33:33

In a heartbeat ? if we could afford him.
Ste Traverse
18   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:47:08

No. Let him rot in Man City's 3rd team. Gives the cunt plenty of time to count his money.

Simon Temme
19   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:47:18

Why not! ? his understanding with Jags can be seen as the future international pairing and he chips in with goals. That said, we can't afford him. He will go to Arsenal who have a centre back crisis.
Dick Anderson
20   Posted 06/12/2010 at 17:55:50

NOPE!

Lescott is greedy and left Everton for money. Pure and simple.

Lescott sulked until he got his own way.

Lescott's poor attitude upset the rest of the team and it took time for them to recover.

Lescott was most to blame for for the 1-6 drubbing we received from Arsenal in his last game.

Lescott can't cut it at Man City. And at 28, he's not going to improve as a player.

Fuck Lescott. I hope he ends up on the football scrap-heap, like Francis Jeffers or Nick Barmby.
Karl Masters
21   Posted 06/12/2010 at 18:33:44

1/ His partnership with Jagielka in that all English back four with Baines and Hibbert looked unbeatable in many games.

2/ We have kept a lot less clean sheets since he left.

3/ He is the latest in a long line of players who have left for footballing reasons to discover the grass isn't greener and to see his career stall.

4/ He is an international player who scored a lot of gfoals for us from set pieces, something only Cahill seems capable of now.

Those are the facts that matter most. All this "greedy, Moyes won't want him back" stuff is just conjecture. Sell Heitinga or Bily and bring him in and we have the fee and wages to cover it, just about.

Of course, if he ends up at Anfield, as suggested by some in the media, then he has sold his soul to the devil and deserves dog's abuse forever.
Danny Hall
22   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:03:20

Alan Mullally
23   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:11:56

Not going to happen. Not even worth discussing.
Jon Cox
24   Posted 06/12/2010 at 19:46:28

Niet!! (topical)
Howard Don
25   Posted 06/12/2010 at 20:17:28

On balance, yes I'd take him back ? we were definitely better with him. That's no criticism of Distin who's one of our better players at the moment. The key thing we miss about Lescott is his goals and all-round attacking threat as a defender. We've not been a free-scoring side for years and his contributions were gold dust for us.

All academic anyway as we couldn't afford any sort of decent fee for him, and then there's that knee trouble which seemd to reccur when he went to City.
Joe McMahon
26   Posted 06/12/2010 at 20:41:15

We don't need his 5 -10 goals a season, we have Hibbert!
Ian Bennett
27   Posted 06/12/2010 at 20:45:10

Never going to happen. He will go to one of the top 4.
John Daley
28   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:04:38

Swap deal for Heitinga. I'd pedal Johnny's bike there for him.
Ernie Baywood
29   Posted 06/12/2010 at 21:53:54

He left us in a mess. Would he do it again? Don't know but he represents a risk given what we know about his motivation.

In any case, I'd like to send a message that when you leave us there's no way back. Make those decisions a little harder for players who have had a great time at Everton and are considering a change. Lescott isn't the first to regret his move.
Gavin Ramejkis
30   Posted 06/12/2010 at 22:06:32

If we supposedly can't scrape three bob for Kranjcar then we have no chance of a bag of magic beans for Worf.
Gerry Western
31   Posted 06/12/2010 at 22:05:44

If the price is right, I'd have him in an instant.
Kase Chow
32   Posted 06/12/2010 at 22:51:28

Of course!!!!

The guy is a class defender and we can't buy a clean sheet

It's a no-brainer.
Ray Robinson
33   Posted 06/12/2010 at 23:04:33

Frank McGregor
34   Posted 06/12/2010 at 23:32:44

Steven Pienaar: please take note and review your position with your greedy agent... possibly read the Lescott saga and then ask yourself: "Could this be me?"
Sam Hoare
35   Posted 07/12/2010 at 00:04:22

Yes, in theory.

But we are broke and in my opinion any small money that we do have should not be spent on a left/centre back. Distin and Baines have been our two best players this season along with Cahill.
Tony Rice
36   Posted 07/12/2010 at 05:07:46

NEVER !
Sega Kana
37   Posted 07/12/2010 at 05:35:27

YES! Good CB, great partnership with Jag, and an excellent goal-scoring left-back cover.
Paul Olsen
38   Posted 07/12/2010 at 06:44:28

Stopped reading when you stated he was confident on the ball.

He never was you know.
Guy Hastings
39   Posted 07/12/2010 at 08:44:48

If Moyes won't drop Jags or Distin for JH, is he really going to accomodate Lescott? Maybe Lescott should give Fulham a call.
Erik Dols
40   Posted 07/12/2010 at 09:30:17

For a very small fee and on acceptable wages ? yes. But that'll never happen.
John Hughes
41   Posted 07/12/2010 at 09:25:05

Lescott is the biggest "ball watcher" I have ever witnessed at senior level football and a lot of the success of the partnership with Jags was down to one Lee Carsley, who did a fantastic job in front of the pair of them.

Also, he's a better left back than a centre back. Not for me ? let's try and move on for once.

Alan Clarke
42   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:22:03

Does anyone remember how utterly out of his depth Lescott looked against Liege at Goodison? Has he ever shone at international level? I seem to remember England's chances of Euro qualification suffering massively after his performance in Russia.

He is an average defender who just fitted into Moyes's defensive system. He's been found out at another club and at international level where he can't adapt. I'm still amazed at how much we got for him.

In terms of ability, I would take David Weir back before Lescott.
Paul Gladwell
43   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:35:39

He was thanking Mark Hughes last week for giving him a chance to play for a big club; if that was not a sly dig I don't know what is. Let the fucker rot.
Anthony Hughes
44   Posted 07/12/2010 at 10:57:59

Will not happen, we can't afford the wages or the transfer fee. I think we'll be looking at Championship players or unheard of Scandinavians for while yet.
Adam Bennett
45   Posted 07/12/2010 at 11:53:38

I wouldn?t want Lescott back. He?s shit on us before so he could do it again.

Strolling around the pitch against Arsenal, not giving a shit, as we let in 6 and refusing to train and causing all kinds aggro at Finch Farm.

To do an Ian Holloway style metaphor; if my girlfriend treated me badly and ran off with some rich bloke, and in a couple of years time he decided to dump her for someone ?better?, and she came to me and said ?I?ve made a mistake, take me back?, I?d tell the bitch to fucking do one!
Tony I'Anson
46   Posted 07/12/2010 at 11:53:52

Ye, but no, but ye, but no ? I saw his cousin talking in the chippy. Ye, and she said he's a footballer who, like, plays football and stuff.

So no.
James Marshall
47   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:32:49

Professional footballer in 'wants more money shocker!'

Get a grip lads, we all do the same thing so its all relative. You get offered a job at a company with better prospects offering more money, you take it. Don't get so high & mighty just because he earns more than you ever will.

The guy did exactly what you all would have done ? only difference is you support Everton. Lescott doesn't.
Alasdair Mackay
48   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:28:35

Don't think we need him. Our problems at the moment do not lie with the left side of defence (or the defence in general).

We need to drop Howard for Mucha and start shooting a bit more! The goals will come and the wins will follow.
Brian Waring
49   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:15:33

Spot on James. How dare Lescott have the balls to leave us, for a wagon load more dosh.

I like my job, but if someone came and offered me 3x more money, you wouldn't see me for dust. And please, lets not use the word 'Loyalty' ? Money speaks louder.
Brian Waring
50   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:21:49

ps: Didn't Moyes hold out for a new bumper contract, before he signed?
Adam Bennett
51   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:38:14

James (49)

Very true, if the normal fan gets offered a job with more money he/she would take it.

But being an office worker on £16k a year is slightly different to being a multi millionaire on £50k a week! How much money does the prick need?????

And secondly, if I was leaving my job for whatever reason, while still there I would treat my colleagues and customers with the same respect as always. In other words, I wouldn?t start fighting with a colleague, call my boss for everything, and then insult a load of my customers.

There are ways and means of doing things, and they way Lescott left was a disgrace.
Brian Waring
52   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:42:53

Adam ? Arteta signed a new contract for more money, Moyes signed a new contract for more money, Cahill signed a new contract for more money. These three would have been on great money before their new contracts, so what's the difference between them and Lescott? Are they greedy bastards as well?

The only difference, is that Lescott left to get more money.
Peter Warren
53   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:51:53

We should sign Shay Given, a keeper available and one of the best in the league. Howard is too vulnerable at crosses coming off his line, distribution and most worryingly long-distance shots.

I suspect Given would be available for a modest price and if we could move Howard on for the £5M or so we spent and spend a few £M more for Given, that would be great business.

Anthony Hughes
54   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:00:40

Again, he's another one earning megabucks. I think when he signed for City it was reputedly in the region £90k a week. He'd have to take a huge pay cut to come to us.
Adam Bennett
55   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:14:45

Brian, the difference between Cahill, Moyes, Arteta and Lescott is that the previous three, to obtain bigger money, didn?t start whinging, sulking and causing murder in the dressing room and in the press.

Greed could be levelled at Pienaar. Been offered a contract but has seen that he can get more money elsewhere, so won't sign it.

But I won?t have a go at Pienaar because, along with Cahill, he has been our best player this season and, from what I can tell, is not causing trouble off the pitch.

If Lescott wanted to leave for more money, that?s up to him, but he could have at least left in a dignified manner, instead of sulking, causing all kinds of aggro, and strolling around the pitch as Arsenal scored 6.

As I say, there are ways and means of doing things.

If Lescott had of left in a respectful way, then I?d have him back. But he didn?t, so I wouldn?t.
David Holroyd
56   Posted 07/12/2010 at 19:26:59

Yes, I would have him back in an instant. Him and Jagielka were the best partnership since Ratcliffe and Watson. When teams don't score lots of goals, you have to keep clean sheets ? which we don't. But it ain't gona happen ? we don't have a pot to piss in.
Matthew Lovekin
57   Posted 07/12/2010 at 19:52:56

Can't afford the transfer fee.

Can't afford his wages.
Brian Waring
58   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:25:43

Yeah Adam, maybe he could have gone about it in a different way.

But you also slagged him off for wanting more money, and my point was about the money.

"Being a multi-millionaire on £50k a week! How much money does the prick need?" ?????

The same could be said about the three I point too.
Roy Coyne
59   Posted 08/12/2010 at 00:18:21

If we could afford the transfer fee, he would expect a bumper of a contract one which his talent is not up to. Add that to the stick he would get wih his first cock-up as his defending is not that good.
Chris Fisher
60   Posted 08/12/2010 at 11:37:20

Yep!! Let him eat a bit of humble pie for a bit... but, at the end of the day, I want anyone at our club who would improve it and he would. He would also be a prime example for people thinking the grass is greener!!
Matthew Mackey
61   Posted 09/12/2010 at 16:31:10

Lets take the emotion out of this scenario and for once, put the brain into gear and get ourselvers into the 21st century.

Here's the deal.......

1) We get Lescott back in January on loan until the end of the season with an option to buy in the summer.
2) We monitor his form and his commitment in this time.
3) Some fans will obviously give him a hard time at first but if he gets over that hurdle, knuckles down to doing the business alongside Jagielka then if he wants it also then we should buy him back in the summer.
4) And to pay for him?... offload Hietinga (after all, he did say once that Man City were after him!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!)

Seriously, though, Lescott IS a good player, a good ENGLISH player who shouldn't be rotting in the reserves at City. Everyone makes mistakes. The boy made a mistake in the way he left us but, if he's big enough to face up to some initial disapproval by some fans, then give him a chance. After all, Everton can't afford to overlook good players just because they wanted a chance to get success elsewhere (a bit like the parable of the prodigal son in that book where he comes home and daddy Moyes forgives him).