Snoods!

As it's quiet, I thought I would just simply ask two questions:

1. Would we accept our players poncing around in snoods?
  2. And secondly, it's inevitable one of our players will be wearing one soon so (unless I've already missed one)... Who do the toffeewebbers think will be the criminal?
I personally think it portrays a lack of effort and passion and they look like benders ? I watched Ashley Young wear one a couple of weeks ago and thought, what a knob.

I personally fear it will be Beckford who trots out in one ? not endearing himself any further to his detractors.

I do hope though that Moyesy, Neville and Cahill make sure that, if anyone tries to wear one, it gets ripped off straight away.
Andrew  Fair , Ashton     Posted 07/12/2010 at 09:18:51

Comments

Mark Stone
1   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:43:19

I thought this was a column about Ian Snodin with a typo. What is a snood?!?! I'm so out of touch.
Sean Smythe
2   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:47:04

With you, Mark, what is a snood?
Paul Scicluna
3   Posted 07/12/2010 at 14:58:15

Snoods are those neck warmer things that seem to be the rage at the moment, Rooney I think has one! I haven't seen any Everton players in such a garment yet!
Michael Kenrick
4   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:08:10

Ste Blundell
5   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:09:58

Saha should put some cotton wool ones on his feet.
Paul Scicluna
6   Posted 07/12/2010 at 15:17:12

Steffen Freund had a Duncan Ferguson snood!
Conor Waters
7   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:12:23

Personally I think each club should fine players a week's wages if they wear one. Did anyone see that fanny Maxi last night? He had a redshite striped thing on, clearly direct from the clubshop. Disgraceful.

In terms of what Toffee is most likely to don a snood, its gotta be Piennaar. He's been wearing gloves since September FFS...
Guy Hastings
8   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:11:04

A snood is a form of medieval headwear comprising a hood traditionally long at the back, a bit like a nightcap. What these softies are wearing is a neckwarmer. I'm only surprised Petr Cech doesn't have a cast iron one.
Ben Howard
9   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:25:05

Here's what Robbie Savage thinks about footballers poncing around in gloves etc... I was lost for words!!

Hmmm... embedding from TwitVid (vieo for twits?) don't seem to work like YouTube... here's the link: Twitvid

Gerry Quinn
10   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:38:39

A snood is a type of headgear, historically worn by European women over their long hair. In the most common form it resembles a close-fitting hood worn over the back of the head. A tighter-mesh band may cover the forehead or crown, then run behind the ears and under the nape of the neck.
Gerry Quinn
11   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:40:35

A sack of sorts dangles from this band, covering and containing the fall of long hair gathered at the back. A snood sometimes was made of solid fabric, but more often of loosely knitted yarn or other net-like material. Historically (and in some cultures still in use today) a small bag ? netted, tatted, knitted, crocheted, or knotted (see macrame) ? of fine thread, enclosed a bob of long hair on the back of the head or held it close to the nape. Modern hair nets, commonly in use where shed human hair may be undesirable, are often made of microfiber.
Gerry Quinn
12   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:41:03

In modern times the word also has come to be applied to a tubular neck protector or warmer, often worn by skiers or motorcyclists. The garment may be worn either pulled down around the neck like a scarf, or pulled up over the hair and lower face, like a hood.

Gerry Quinn
13   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:41:21

Frickin nobbers!
Gerry Quinn
14   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:41:39

I suppose that they will be wearing Willy Warmers soon - if they aren't already!
Conor Waters
15   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:51:25

I blame the Italians - they started all this fashion in football crap. I seem to recall Totti floating about in one 4 or 5 years ago.
Andrew Fair
16   Posted 07/12/2010 at 16:52:14

Ok fair enough ? snood may mean other things in ye Olde Engish but for me it was just something that has been getting on my tits since this trend started. Maybe it's because I'm a northerner, maybe it's because I'm not a puff. But I would not be happy with an Evertonian wearing one.

Thanks for editing my article, Michael ? reads very nicely now. I should have sent you my dissertation.

Ian Kearney
17   Posted 07/12/2010 at 17:05:45

It makes sense to keep the body as warm as possible in these conditions; it's only ridiculous British sentiment that stops our players using common sense.
Mike Hughes
18   Posted 07/12/2010 at 17:04:52

@Ben Howard #9 - even before watching that Robbie Savage video I knew he was a complete and utter bellend (Mr Kenrick - is this also a recognised composite? I'm trying to improve my grammar). How ashamed would you be if you were one of his family or even remotely knew him? Why have BBC (yes, the BBC!) standards dropped so far that twats like this given airspace on radio programmes? He giggles like some pre-pubescent girl. Arsewipe (composite?)

Regarding these snood things, this is the first time I've heard of them. Anyone wearing one on a football pitch should be impaled on a rusty spike then flogged with barbed wire soaked in piss.

Anyway, moan over, I'm off for my tea.
Dennis Stevens
19   Posted 07/12/2010 at 17:14:36

If we could win wearing snoods then I'd make them compulsory!
Roger Balshaw
20   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:14:36

Don't think they do them to fit Beckford ? his neck's too long.
Leon Perrin
21   Posted 07/12/2010 at 20:20:11

Tends to be creative attacking players who wear them.
Rest assured........
Steve Pugh
22   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:22:45

"I think it's time that clubs outside of the big 4 get the coverage they deserve."

"If that goal had been scored by Chelsea or Arsenal or Liverpool, no not Liverpool, it would have made the front pages, but because it's an unfashionable club it will probably be classed as a lucky goal."

Two quotes from one man on MotD on Saturday. These are not the quotes of a twat, they are the quotes of someone who understands more about football than most... Robbie Savage.
James Doran
23   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:31:50

If one (or more) of our players wore a snood, or any other item of clothing which was actually proven to help him to perform to a standard higher than that to which he performed when he was not wearing that item, then I would have no qualms at all with him donning that item during games.

If, however, for instance, Jermain Beckford jumped for a header and his slim neck and head permitted his snood to move up and over his eyes and he resultantly squandered an open-goal opportunity....

Alex Kociuba
24   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:11:31

"Steffen Freund had a Duncan Ferguson snood!" ;-D
Mike Hughes
25   Posted 07/12/2010 at 21:48:17

@ Steve Pugh #22

Watch the video above and then tell me Robbie Savage is not a twat.

Those quotes you have typed are typical Robbie Savage quotes. Words are cheap. He likes to come across as the average guy on the street / fan but he comes across to me as a bit of a creep who contrives his comments to manipulate his image and inflate his popularity. He is completely up his own arse.

He also has a regular go at callers slating players for not trying in matches / perceived lack of effort. His own book actually refers to some games he played in when he admits not trying. It's proof that indeed he understands more about football than the average man on the street. Isn't effort the least fans can expect?

And, before you take me to task, no I haven't met him but perception is reality in the media world (see video above for proof).
Roy Coyne
26   Posted 07/12/2010 at 23:49:21

I don't like all this wrapping up in the winter. If they put the effort in, they would be too hot. Having said that, if Beckford wore one and scored a hat-trick, I would buy the team a set out of my pension.
Jamie Crowley
27   Posted 08/12/2010 at 01:33:25

Next is the "doons" - or snood in reverse.

It's a tight fitting cap for the scrotum, with a hood to cover the penis.

How ridiculous is all this?
Michael Kenrick
28   Posted 08/12/2010 at 03:12:46

Mike Hughes... 'bellend' ? compound? I believe so 380,000 Google hits.

Arsewhip... 31,900... but yes, you're getting really good with these.

I could offer some others that you might practice including in your ever-expanding (see, now, that one's a still hypenated compounded) vocabulary: spermgurgler is a good one.

Martin Faulkner
29   Posted 08/12/2010 at 08:20:16

Most likely to wear one: Pienaar
Second most likely: Arteta
Allan Barratt
30   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:20:35

I'd've thought Heitinga or Fellaini would be most likely to wear one.
Tony Waring
31   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:39:42

I can just about understand gloves but not snoods... and whilst we are on the subject of dress code, can anyone please advise me why some players pull their socks over their knees? Is it a fashion statement and where did it originate? It looks bloody awful and gives the impression that the wearer is a right ponce; oh, OK... so John Terry looks like a butch ponce!
Tony Waring
32   Posted 08/12/2010 at 09:42:28

Almost forgot to suggest that diamond stud earrings, a la Ricardo Fuller, should also be banned.
Mike Hughes
33   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:12:30

Michael #28 - many thanks for the educational aspects of TW.

"Spermgurgler" has been duly noted and aligns quite nicely with my current armoury of "spermbreath" and "spermbucket".

A great help. Thank you.
Norman Merrill
34   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:09:30

Ladyboy in RED will certailnly have one on for the next match he turns up for.
Trevor Lynes
35   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:48:41

I reckon quite a few of our players are wearing balaclavas back to front ? especially the 'gifted' Heitinga...