Members:   Log In Sign Up

Thailand v Everton?

Just a thought ? but, seeing as the FA have cancelled England?s match against Thailand (June 2011), which may or may not be in a fit of pique at the World Cup votes saga, I was wondering if Everton could / should step in and fill the gap?

The game was officially supposed to ?commemorate the 65th anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand?. So, seeing as Everton already have links with Thailand, through Chang beer, would this make sense? I?m sure that whoever was organizing the match would have expected a big TV revenue payout ? but, still a Premier League team is nothing to be sniffed at. Plus a lot of the Asian football followers would know of Timmy Cahill too (he seems to be the face of football on this side of the world ? eg, on front of Fifa console games).

What do you think? Is it worth the effort for a bit more exposure? How many first team players would go (why not combine it with a summer break over in Thailand)? Would the Thailand team accept the offer?
Jip Foster, Darwin, Australia     Posted 08/12/2010 at 03:37:51

Comments

Anthony Hughes
1   Posted 08/12/2010 at 08:00:09

No. Let's have a proper, serious pre-season next year against quality opposition to set us up for the following season. No more of this fucking about in pointless fucking games. Any money or exposure we would make would be negligible against being properly prepared.
Lance Manion
2   Posted 08/12/2010 at 08:19:00

Totally agree with Anthony, I know its a corny saying but 'failing to prepare is preparing to fail' seems to be true when it comes to Everton. I can't remember the last time we had a tough pre-season and then had a good start in the league.
Eric Myles
3   Posted 08/12/2010 at 10:28:39

We'll be tied up with the Intertoto Cup in June won't we?
Dick Fearon
4   Posted 08/12/2010 at 11:56:20

I seriously question the value of pre-season tours. Past tours failed miserably to prepare for the opening games of the season.

Six weeks into this season and Moyes was reported as saying we will hit our straps in a few more weeks. Upon hearing that, I thought "What the fuck?!?"

Mike Rourke
5   Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:56:54

The club need to be exploiting our tenuous link to Barcelona rather than our tenuous link to Thailand when planning next summers pre-season.
Simon Jenkins
6   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:19:05

#1 Anthony ? 'No more of this fucking about in pointless fucking games.'

That's exactly what pre-seaon games are though.

And for all the stick that EFC are given, the likes of Man Utd, City and Spurs play exactly the same type of games, against the same type of teams. All three of the above went on US tours this past summer, playing MLS teams that EFC were slagged off for playing against in previous years. Criticising EFC's pre-seasons is just ridiculous, and the importance of the type of opposition played is vastly overstated. The season we are having is not due to the pre-season we had.

#3 Eric, the Intertoto was discontinued over 2 years ago.

#5 Mike ? what link to Barcelona? We played them once in 1924 in a friendly. End of link.

Thailand, through our links with the community out there, the Chang sponsorship, and even the official site giving birthday shout outs to the Thai Royal Family, is our best hope towards ever getting funds into the club. There is money in Thailand; it's just a matter of getting the right rich person hooked on Everton. Playing a friendly out there ? which may actually be in the terms of the new Chang deal anyway ? is a no-brainer. How many times of LFC played Thailand pre-season games?
Adam Fenlon
7   Posted 09/12/2010 at 01:04:35

Good idea. Might be worth finding out the player's attitude to it to see if it'll be good for bonding/team spirit.
Anthony Hughes
8   Posted 09/12/2010 at 08:04:23

The money has really flowed from Thailand since we've been on board hasn't it.
Mike Rourke
9   Posted 09/12/2010 at 10:12:19

Simon. If a 1924 friendly doesn't count as a link then I don't know what does.

If I recall correctly we also got a half 'n' half shirt a couple of years back commemorating this friendly. It really must have been one hell of a friendly.

I suggest our two great clubs have another friendly to celebrate the historic 87th anniversary of that momentous occasion.

Simon Jenkins
10   Posted 09/12/2010 at 19:30:31

#9 Unfortunately Mike, whereas 'we' care about a one off game 87 years ago (Newcastle also played them that same week), they probably couldn't give a toss. And in the modern era, a team like Barcelona wants PAYING to actually play a friendly against a team like ourselves.

Why on earth would we want to play Barcelona at this moment in time anyway? We'd get absolutely torn apart by the best team in Europe. Getting thrashed wouldn't exactly be a good morale-booster going into the season, and what exactly would we learn? That we're nowhere near Europe's best? We can sense that by losing to the likes of Wolfsburg. The pre-season we just had this past summer was a best and most settled for years, and is clearly the blueprint for the future.
Andrew McLean
11   Posted 09/12/2010 at 22:53:23

I've always been mistified by the sponsorship deal, how EFC are sponsored by a beer that is extremely hard to obtain. I would have thought with Tesco setting up with Lotus in the land of smiles that there may have been some deal to promote more Thai products in the UK, such as Chang but whatever Supermarket I walk in I only see Singha.

It made me chuckle when I saw the Singha adverts on the electric advertising boards at the Chelsea game.

It is my opinion that most Thais don't care much for Everton. On my trips I've rarely ever seen a Thai in an Everton shirt, usually it's Man U or RS and from what I've seen the aforementioned are quite popular in tatoo selection books as well. Though last year I did see a few Everton team posters with Chang on them plastered on a few bars.

A match in Thailand may suit Chang more than Everton.

Leicester recently played the national side... I'm interested to know how many turned out for that.
Mike Rourke
12   Posted 10/12/2010 at 10:30:46

Simon

"The pre-season we just had this past summer was a best and most settled for years"

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, I think the appalling calibre of the opposition we played last summer is exactly the reason we got off to such a shit start.

Wolfsburg aside, every other team 'we' played was total dross. That is no way to prepare for a Premier League campaign.

I recall Chelsea losing quite a lot of their pre-season games against decent opposition, but when it mattered they came flying out of the traps.

My Barcelona comments are only half-joking. Next year EFC have got to push the boat out and change fixtures against Preston, Brisbane, Norwich and Forfar... if not for the Barcelona's of this world, then at least for teams like Villarreal, Lazio, Hamburg and Ajax.

If we do that, then I'm certain we'll shake off this 'slow starter' tag.