Members:   Log In Sign Up

You?re Qatar?ing a laugh?

I?m sure many of you have seen this on the BBC gossip website and have read the subsequent article on Goal.com but it seems Everton, along with Newcastle and Spurs, are attracting the interest in the Qatar royal family, who are looking to follow up on Qatar?s successful 2022 World Cup Bid.

According to the article the Qatar royal family has previously shown an interest in buying Everton, however nothing came of this.

If this rumour is true, I would love to know the reaction of my fellow blues. The Arabs down the M62 seem to have a vested interest in the long term future of City with the money being spent on the academy. We all know our stadium issue would be a stumbling block for any potential takeover, but I feel, with our history, we should be a better prospect than Newcastle, and only recent success and location for me would make Spurs the best of the three teams mentioned.

As always with these sort of rumours, I wait with baited breath... NSNO

Andy Callen, Norwich     Posted 08/12/2010 at 12:27:01

Comments

Guy Hastings
1   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:02:55

When I see it on WikiLeaks I'll believe it.
Dick Fearon
2   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:05:45

Its time to be merry and all that so what your thoughts about a Qatari takeover? Maybe with one of their demountable 70,000 seater stadiums thrown in.
Dave Owen
3   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:06:24

Speculation maybe, but you never know.
Jay Harris
4   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:07:47

The media are reporting interest from Qatar in buying Everton.

"The Qatar royal family were recently successful in their bid to host the 2022 World Cup and with in excess of £40 billion worth of assets are now reported to be interested in purchasing a Premier League club, with Everton, Newcastle and Tottenham all possible options."

"If they were to make an approach it would be their second attempt, as it is thought they already held talks with chairman Bill Kenwright in April 2009, with figures worth around £200million mentioned."

Is this the sort of owner we want?

While I can't wait to get rid of Bullshit Bill, I would prefer a capable business team to a super rich foreigner that would endorse everything that is wrong with the game right now.

Andy Macrae
5   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:10:24

That's us out of the running, BB's only got his eyes on "investment".
Tony I'Anson
6   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:09:56

Jay, I tend to agree. But do we not have to face up to the fact that the whole world is run by people with all the oil and gas? Sometimes I even think the world would be better off it all just ran out.

If they do buy us, I hope there would be an opportunity for a collective group of fans to at least retain some ownership of the Club and have some sort of a say in what goes on.
Andy Codling
7   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:22:00

We're not for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick of these questions!!!

Adam Bennett
8   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:29:49

Yawn yawn fucking yawn. Never going to happen. Blue Bill won?t sell and walk away. FACT.
KPR Williams
9   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:20:40

Spurs it is then... cos they are the darlings of the media... darling.

Question: Redknapp has left every other club he's been at in financial ruin... Spurs seem to buy a lot of players. £10M here, £8M there, £5M there on players you don't see: Keane, Naughton, Pavyluchenko to name a few, I've no doubt Champions League football will pay for some of it but I can't help thinking Harry seems to be spending his way into a whole host of shit again ? and if they don't get Champions League football next season, which I think they won't, then the England job can't come quick enough... just a thought.
Anthony Hughes
10   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:29:52

Watch our great football club slowly fading away, each season less and less money to spend, no hope of a trophy or a new stadium, ending up like a Forest or Sheff Weds.

Or on the other hand, being dragged into the 21st Century of the football world. Multi-billionaire owners, exciting and attacking world class footballers, being able to compete, a chance of playing in the Champions League on a regular basis, watching Europe's finest at our stadium. A new stadium with up-to-date facilites. No longer being described as "plucky Everton, punching above their weight," but being regarded as one of the big boys again looking down on the Redshite.

You decide (if only).

Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:51:32

Is it that time again??????

Bullshit O'Clock

Never going to happen whilst BK has a pulse.
Jay Harris
12   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:54:22

Gavin,
I think if Earl and Green got the £200 million being bandied about and some retail concessions, then "Black Bill" may not have a say.

The only thing that concerns me is where football is heading with snotty nosed kids getting £200,000 a week while many supporters are struggling to buy a match ticket.
Michael Parkes
13   Posted 08/12/2010 at 14:49:50

I don't think the lack of stadium should be a problem. To buy us and build a new stadium would probably be half the price of buying Spurs. Spurs still need a new stadium as well at £450million, unless they get the Olympic one.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:05:52

Jay, a buyer of this sort wouldn't need to tie in to anyone's pandering, such as Bill wanting to stay on the board as he has ALWAYS previously requested, and any retail, as they have enough money not to need it. A buyout on these types of terms would be very one-sided with little if any concessions.

Given the club's abysmal marketing and general business acumen capabilities from the top down, I've little doubt it would be fucked up ? especially if the competition was the likes of Daniel Levy, who doesn't need a map and both hands to find his arse.
Andrew Yates
15   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:09:32

If the Qatar Royal Family bought us, I think I would probably hang up my supporting boots, these 'investments' are destroying the beatuiful game I once loved.

Yes, we'd probably be able to buy a new stadium and buy all the mega-rich players from across the globe, we'd be able to compete with United, Citeh etc etc... but at what cost?

This kind of thing represents everything that is bad about football now; do we really think a Qatar Royal will care about the magnificent tradition and history of our wonderful club?

I'd rather struggle and fight and love every second than sit back and ride on a wave of crap.

Then again... maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
Craig Wilson
16   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:17:54

Free Oil and Petrol for all season ticket holders, I`ve heard!!!!
Michael Kenrick
17   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:30:54

Hmmm... perhaps worth noting that figure quoted... £200M. (Not too far away from what was being mooted recently, to a chorus of jeers from the usual naysayers.)

Let's see... you buy a club for £20M in 2000... you flog it 10 years later for £200M (having invested £0 additionally). APR = 29.15%. Not a bad investment!!!

And that £180M profit, made on the back of countless thousands of Evertonians? Where does that go exactly? Hmmm... you gotta love this capitalist malarkey!
Jamie Morgan
18   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:36:00

Not even gonna bother to debate until it happens or gets rejected.

It is not gonna happen, let's just get used to the fact our over-achievement days are over and we are going to be mid-table at best from now on.

I hate us being skint!

Thomas James
19   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:46:13

IF it is true, there are two reason why it won't happen:

1. Kenwright will fuck it up;

2. 'Appy 'Arry always always gets there first. Too many times we've had our hopes dashed by that red-nosed tit!!!
Dave Lynch
20   Posted 08/12/2010 at 15:49:20

A stadium would not be a stumbling block. They could build one with the spare change in their arse pockets.

Roll on next season. No investment, best players sold, no trophy, no progress on a new stadium...

I love being a blue.

Dave Wilson
21   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:08:29

Fuck me, guys, we're not half narrowing the field down for ourselves here:

We don't want people who want to make money themselves.
We don't want liars.
We don't want anybody who can't build us a stadium.
We don't want anybody who can't invest in the team...

But, most of all, we don't want the super-rich!

Gerry Morrison
22   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:15:12

Careful what you wish for.
Dean Lim
23   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:35:44

Oooh, the Qataris... are we gonna get a new air-conditioned stadium?

Maybe they'd be selling arabic coffee instead of Chang beer during half-time at Goodison...
Charles King
24   Posted 08/12/2010 at 16:38:10

Like it or loathe it, until we're competitive financially we're out the game. We're not an attractive proposition to the best players and our homegrown better players will always go under the present set up.

As Liverpool proved, the established cabal will always have someone to bail them out. I don't see any changes via Platini or the governing bodies altering this.

Get the dough.

David Barks
25   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:00:39

One can dream. If it happens, Everton becomes relevant in the football world again. If it's just another in a long list of rumours that come to nothing, then Everton remain in the shadows while other clubs progress.

I remember people laughing when City was in the early stages of the new ownership, saying how you can't just buy success, ha ha ha ha... Well, not many laughing now. If they want a player they will do all they can to get them.

If they don't win, it will never be for a lack of trying, it will be because of poor choices. But I'd much rather be in their situation than ours, and so would anyone else here if they're being honest.

Mike Allison
26   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:08:52

"Hmm... yeah, it's so freaking likely that they'd choose us. I'm sure that Chang Beer name screaming from our pink salmon shirts won't matter to the men in Kufis from Islamic kingdoms..."

You think the rich care about the religion? It's their tool for keeping everyone else happy, they don't actually believe any of it. The pink shirt and alcohol sponsor will make zero difference. They'll just buy out the contracts if they think it'll make them look bad. It'll also be nice to get a decent coffee at GP for once.

I'm all for a super rich buy-out, as it seems our only hope in hell of ever being an important club again internationally. I'd say it has very, very little chance of happening at this stage however.
David Thomas
27   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:17:29

Goal.com?? I think I will take more notice of this report when it appears in a more reliable source such as the Daily Sport or Star.
Lee Courtliff
28   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:12:12

Let's just say this goes ahead, like at Man City. I can't decide how I would feel about it! I don't want to be plucky underdogs forever and I don't want to be a club without a soul who alienates all its true fans and just attracts glory-hunting twats. I just don't know...

Good job it's about as likely as Saha getting a hat-trick this weekend!

Christopher McCullough
29   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:25:39

Many economists agree that 2020 is the best estimate for peak oil. Knowing our luck, and considering Kenwright's record, these boys will wait 'til winter 2019.

The Shite will have attracted a renewable energy consortium by then, of course.

Ciarán McGlone
30   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:29:34

Jay Harris...

Why are 'super rich foreigners' everything that is wrong with the game at the moment?

You sound like Alf Garnett.

Super rich foreiners is the very reason why England arguably has the best domestic league in the world.

And your suggestion that 'super rich foreigners' cannot be a 'capable business team' is fatuous nonsense...

How do you think they got to be 'super rich foreigners' in the first place?

I'll give you a clue, they didn't win Euromillions...
Nick Entwistle
31   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:35:29

Worst pun of the year! Hang on, its not even a pun. Terrible :)
Phil Martin
32   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:36:42

Yeah, IF (capital if) this was true and IF (even bigger if) they bought us... it would be great news.

For a start, Moyes would be given the funds to truly strengthen the squad. All these painful summers of stagnation would be over. We could actually go out and buy players to take us where we'd previously have been within touching distance a few years ago, ie, CL and challenging for trophies.

They would probably even pay for GP renovations too. Who wouldn't want that? Who says we'd be forced to throw £100m's at mercenary foreigners? Why couldn't we go out and buy class players that we need? Rather than Man City's scatter gun approach.

Are we suggesting this slow painful slide back into obliivion (which is where we are going) is better?

Tony Waring
33   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:41:16

Ciaran #30. They got to be super rich because they happen to be sitting on a mega supply of what keeps the world turning, not because they are necessarily super intelligent.

Actually, until oil/gas was found they were arab tribesmen who spent Saturday afternoons riding around the dunes on camels and hunting with hawks. Oh and they probably knew as much about football then as they do now. Sod all.

I think I'd prefer to stay independent of such types. In the long run too much cash eventually sours everything including footy clubs and it makes mercenaries out of most so-called professionals, who hold clubs to ransom for the sort of money which they couldn't spend in their wildest dreams if they lived to be a 100.

Jeremy Benson
34   Posted 08/12/2010 at 17:56:10

£200 million?!

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. I think £50 million is much more realistic.
David Holroyd
35   Posted 08/12/2010 at 18:17:46

Can anyone please tell me what do Green and Earl have to gain staying in the background cos if we dont move to a new ground they are not going to make a lot of dough staying involved with us.
Art Jones
36   Posted 08/12/2010 at 18:45:55

£200M was offered just before the 2009 FA Cup Final and we finished 5th in the league and Kenwright was convinced that Disaster Kirkby was still going to get the go ahead. He was convinced at that time he could get more. If QIA returned with a bid of £200M now, he would bite their hand off... if Green let him, of course .
Mike Oates
37   Posted 08/12/2010 at 18:59:05

Its a done deal . The Arab lads will want a European HQ to drum up support about how to run a World Cup, and as a Corporate Showpiece what can beat Liverpool . We have a small airport, 2 Cathedrals, Albert Dock, Beatles Centre . On route to their new ground at Seaforth Docks they'll pass through Scotty Rd, County Rd - where they can show the Business men our Goodison Musuem. On through Bootle what more would they want - just maybe London's bright lights , 30 Theatres, Spurs Olympic Ground, West End, Soho .....

Lets get real !!! to any major investor wanting to choose us .
Jay Harris
38   Posted 08/12/2010 at 19:24:16

Ciaran, as Tony (#33) says they got to be super rich by good fortune and not through good management.

Do you think our "Royal" family would be capable business people?

Just look at Eastlands losing £100 million a year just to be the also rans of the so called "Sky 4".

Anyway my point was more a moral point that average kids are getting pots of money out of a game where the traditional matchgoing fan can hardly afford to go.

I would also argue the point that the Premier League is the best in the world... what? When only a handful of teams stand a chance of winning it.

And I hate to disappoint you but, unlike Alf Garnett, I have no time for "Royal" families. We were all born equal!!
Michael Parkes
39   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:04:25

I can't see Spurs' Jewish lot being happy about an Islamic state owning their club, can you?
Jon Cox
40   Posted 08/12/2010 at 19:51:44

Ciaran, No, mate ? I don't think it's down to business ? try oil and gas: they've got it, the West wants it. Even Benny from crossroads could sell that shit.

As a side note, if anyone cares to do the research, then you'll find out that Qatar and Israel are mortal enemies. Watch out for the fun if the Jewish nation qualify for 2022.

It will certainly beat any soap. Also, since the bent Fifa episode concerning Quatermass, simple equation is, Qatar in Cahill out.

It's an Australian thing. It's something our Tim has in abundance, it's called morals.

As for us, I'd prefer, even if we never won anything, to keep our soul Blue.
Jon Cox
41   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:12:36

David (27) don't mock the Daily Sport mate. They were the first newspaper to inform us that a double decker London bus had been discovered on the moon. I might get slated but I believe it.
Neil Humphreys
42   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:12:32

I don't want to be City.
I don't want fickle unworthy scrotes following us because they sniff glory.
I don't want to be percieved as the Boswells who won the lottery.

Jon Cox
43   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:20:38

Neil, talking about Chelsea, then get this: Russia, as we all know, have just got the World Cup and Putin has asked, sorry, ordered Abramovitch to cough up some of the bent oil money that he (Putin) allowed him to accumulate. This will not bode well for the future of Chelsea FC. Abramovitch cannot say no. It would not be in his best interest, as Putin has made a request he cannot refuse! Watch out for a slow decline in Chelsea's fortunes in the years leading up to the World Cup 2018.

Neil, totally agree with your post by the way.
Eugene Ruane
44   Posted 08/12/2010 at 19:42:27

Of course it won't happen (especially as we're not for sale) but it did make me think..

What if they DID offer and what if they DID promise a new state-of-the-art ground and what if there WAS more-or-less unlimited funds for players and a new manager?

Would anyone REALLY not want it?

Honestly!?

Remember, it's a really easy thing to say no to when there's absolutely no chance of it happening, but....try to imagine it WAS a possibility.

Imagine thinking 'Everton WILL compete again' or 'Now we DO have a chance of winning the title in my lifetime' or 'Once again we'll be known around the world' or 'We'll make Liverpool actually LOOK like the scruff-bag povs they know, in their hearts and souls, they are'.

You would STILL say no?

Well....not me.

Yes, the money in football disgusts me, in fact just about every single aspect of football disgusts me.

But the fact is, where Everton are concerned, I'm piss-weak.

I know if there was a choice between watching a super-rich, 'sold our soul' Everton featuring the likes of Messi and Tevez OR what we are now (ie: the football equivalent of the fat kid at school sports day who has no chance of winning but gets a pat on the head for trying) I'd be screaming '"Show me that wonderful Qatarian (?) money!"

Sure the super-rich foreigners could 'fuck us about' etc, but anyone who thinks we're not being fucked around right now is naive in the extreeeeeeeme.
Gerard Carey
45   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:42:33

Just wondering how long our "new owners" would give David Moyes to make the team a success???!!!, 9-ish years???!!!
Michael Kenrick
46   Posted 08/12/2010 at 20:58:49

David (#35): Green is in the background (Shadow DIrector?) but Earl is a Director of Everton FC Co Ltd. He may be quiet (along with Woods) but the last member of the Everton Borad that stood up and made a nuisance of himself got the Gary Speed treatment, ending up isolated and blackballed.

If the £200M figure turns out to be anything like close to what Everton FC Co Ltd eventually changes hands for, then anyone who owns or has paid indirectly for shares in EFC stands to make a pretty penny in pure profit.

And they say football is not profitable, that bubble is about to burst, and we ain't got a pot to piss in.
Alan Clarke
47   Posted 08/12/2010 at 21:38:34

For those against this because they don't want the club selling its soul and we don't want to support overpaid average players, just take a look at Everton now.

Kenwright is Earl's and Green's puppet. He tried to move us to a cowshed outside of the city's boundaries so he could line his own pockets. He's already sold our soul.

We also already have overpaid average players. Arteta is on £75k a week, Heitinga is on £65k a week. Qatar's royal family would be the best thing to happen to us but I doubt it will happen.

Rahman Talib
48   Posted 08/12/2010 at 21:45:59

Maybe we can get the guys on Law and Order UK to investigate this rumor. Big fan.
Jon Cox
49   Posted 08/12/2010 at 21:37:43

Eugene, the only question is, is it me or is it you that is the prostitute.

Answer, YOU... and you can fuckin have it. Maybe you'd sell out but I wont. I love my team (warts un all) and there's no way any rich third world oil-based totalitarian country will own my team and my club.

I'm with Timmy!!!!
Vijay Badhan
50   Posted 08/12/2010 at 22:50:00

I would personally welcome them with open arms, I would prefer someone who has money to invest in the club than a chairmen who has no money; regardless of whether he is a fan or not, he cannot take the club any further.
Jimmy Hacking
51   Posted 09/12/2010 at 00:16:26

The problem with this mega-rich investor malarky is that even though it makes me extremely uncomfortable, it is literally the only way we will ever compete for the title again.

If we DO get bought out by the Quataris (though it's clearly bollocks), I say run with it. If nothing else, it will be funny to listen to the Spurs and Liverpool fans moaning about "fairness" when our expensive signings run riot.
Russell Buckley
52   Posted 09/12/2010 at 00:49:03

Considering our current plight and the size of the challenge at hand when trying to catch the top clubs without funds, I?m not going to be picky. Sure, I wish the club was run like Barcelona or one of us managed to find a spare couple of billion to run the club the right way... but it isn?t going to happen.

As Evertonians, most of us (especially those who didn?t live through the glory days) have the underdog mindset. It might not feel like Everton if we start to resemble City... but, then again, the idea of people fearing us again and Everton being able to flex some muscle in the transfer market and play in the Champions League does appeal.

It wouldn?t be ideal but I?d still take it over Bill.
Eric Myles
53   Posted 09/12/2010 at 02:00:21

Believe me, Jay, the Qatari's have a capable business team.
Eric Myles
54   Posted 09/12/2010 at 02:02:57

Neil (#42) "We may not have the funds to buy the title, but candidly, think what it must be like to be a City or Chelski fan ? deep down they know, as do we, that they have purchased, not earned success. It's hollow, shallow and meaningless."

Just like those "Mersey Millionaires" of old eh?
Jason Lam
55   Posted 09/12/2010 at 03:29:59

Excuse my ignorance of Middle East geography and politics, but what terms are the Qatari arabs and Man City arabs? Could we nab Tevez and Co from City and do a Lescott on them?

Will we send Goodison Park to Africa after the 2022 WC?

John Daley
56   Posted 09/12/2010 at 03:14:47

"..the only question is, is it me or is it you that is the prostitute?

Answer, YOU and you can fuckin have it. Maybe you'd sell out but I won't. I love my team (warts an all) and there's no way any rich third world oil-based totalitarian country will own my team and my club."

Who's got more pride, the hooker or the tramp? At least the prossie's showing some spunk (cough) and actually doing something to try and improve her situation, rather than meekly giving up and going to kip in a cardboard box with only a pair of piss encrusted kecks and a half bottle of Pernod for company. He might be fucking freezing and starving to death, with nails like Ming the Merciless and the musk of a Mammoths ballsack but that old Jakey's still got his morals.

If there was even a slight possibility of this ridiculous rumour being true, then I think the right thing to do would be to lift up our skirts and start slapping on some lube. Screw morals, just show us the money.

Greg Anderson
57   Posted 09/12/2010 at 05:42:03

Andrew (#15). Beautifully put. Couldn't agree more.
Derek Thomas
58   Posted 09/12/2010 at 06:53:54

Money can't buy you happiness or so they say.

But it can make your misery more bearable.

It can't buy you love, but it allows you to rent it from Ladies of negotiable virtue.

When it comes down to it, we, most of us, prostitute, sell part of our selves for money, but it's called work or marriage. It's a trade off, we do stuff, we get stuff. Now the different 'stuffs' we give and recieve can be many things and the both of them can be either nice or not depending on your view.

Yes the money in football is disgusting, on many levels, but more disgusting is the fact that we have none.

On the balance I will try it for a few years, It's 20 odd years since we were competitive, it can't be any worse than The game Vs WBA and all the others back over the years.
Shaun Brennan
59   Posted 09/12/2010 at 07:53:17

Watch this space.

I think not.
Anthony Hughes
60   Posted 09/12/2010 at 08:07:10

I appreciate the sentiments of those fans claimimg we would be losing our soul, tradition and all that but some of you who would be against mega dosh coming into the club are already starting to sound like lower league supporters, which we are in danger of becoming if we don't get serious money into the club.

I know a lot of people don't like it but this is the modern game now. As much as I would also like to see a team built up from nothing to be a force, that is never going to happen in football again. If we are lucky enough to have the opportunity to have huge investment, then we should go for it.

I don't want to be sitting on watching from outside while the big boys are getting on with it, with us saying "at least we've got our soul and tradition".
KPR Williams
61   Posted 09/12/2010 at 09:10:40

Good thread.
Helped weed out the people who would happily sell the soul of this wonderful club for the chance to become a collection of mercenary twats happy to warm a bench on £100-200k a week...

I kinda like the fact we are how we are, keeping it real when all around us lose their minds...

Anthony Hughes
62   Posted 09/12/2010 at 09:42:02

Also weeded out the people who would be quite happy to see us slowly slip away, never being in a position to mount any sort of serious challenge anymore. But what the fuck, eh? At least we can sit in our run-down stadium watching mediocre players play mediocre football.

Just because we may have rich owners, it doesn't mean we will lose our soul. We wiil always have our history and tradition; I'd like us to create some history that future generations can look back on and not look back and go, "Wow!!! We had a couple of years in the Europa League and got fucked in a Cup Final."

As for mercenary twats, well we don't have any of them at the moment do we? What do we class Pienaar, Heitinga as? What was Lescott? What will Rodwell be when he eventually leaves the club?

Keeping it real.....? Let's get real ? without huge investment or a massive buyout, we are slowly fading as a football club. Let's see how much is available in the next couple of transfer windows for players without selling anyone.
Dean Lim
63   Posted 09/12/2010 at 10:43:09

Lets imagine a qatari buyout of everton, and the new masters agree to keep bill kenwright and pays him two million pounds a year for his bullshit provided he wears a kufiya to goodison park and renounces his theatre company producing unislamic plays. We buy Torres, Tevez, Lescott (one silly Arab club to another), etc all, and sell most of the players whom we all know and love (timmy cahill, arteta etc) sack Moyes, get Ancelotti, win the league in 2 years with players who are in only for the money. then what? Everton's strong suit is tradition, and we should never lose that for anything. Investment, yes. Buyout and plaything, no. God, i'm sounding like Kenwright..
Neil Humphreys
64   Posted 09/12/2010 at 10:50:44

Eric (54)
Touche! I thought we'd all forgotten that.
KPR Williams
65   Posted 09/12/2010 at 10:21:12

We aint slipped away yet, have we? Nor do I see it happening unless we start sacking managers and making Mike Walker-type appointments. (see Owen Coyle). We are treading water in very difficult times.

Lovely stadiums at Derby, Southampton, Middlesbrough, but Middlesbrough have got a cup in the trophy cabinet and a European final appearance fresh in the memory. Portsmouth, with Happy 'Arry spending like a drunk sailor, put a cup in the cupboard and a a great memory in the hearts of all Pompey fans but I wonder how many of them would give up the wonderful day out at Wembley for Premier League football every season?

You know what I see with these nouveau riche clubs... The fans become instant arrogant bastards and that is the exact reason I became an Evertonian. Because when I was 7 years old, the horrible arrogant pricks were all wearing Liverpool shirts.
Ged Simpson
66   Posted 09/12/2010 at 10:51:28

God I am so split on this. I hate modern football economy but used to love being called the The Milionaires when I was a kid.

I guess if we are to stay at top we have to go where the cash is.

But I ask why Lord Granchester cannot invest or buy.

But in the end the Lords of this country look after their own first. Perhaps the Lords of the Middle East are better and wiser ?

To be honest... in the end, we never own our club and the race of an owner matters little.
Jay Woods
67   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:01:12

@ Neil Humpreys ? and everyone else peddling this media propaganda about "buying success": Tell me what other way can a club break through and become a major force at home and in Europe? Please, I'm begging you to reveal to me how this could be done. But don't insult my intelligence by saying "hard work", "careful spending" or any other fake-purist claptrap.

United and Liverpool were "first to market" when they won their respective European Cups for the first time. That ensured enormous, trans-generational support across the UK and beyond, which translated into huge spending power over the years. That's why Wayne Rooney plays for United, not Everton.

I'm really weary labouring this point, but it's like trying to get a slice of the cola market that's sewn up by Coke & Pepsi. The ONLY, ONLY, ONLY way we can compete is with raw, unadulterated cash investment. END OF STORY.

Gavin Ramejkis
68   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:27:44

KPR Williams and Anthony Hughes ? and anyone else for that matter that hasn't seen it ? look up the Ripping Yarns Golden Gordon episode, it's a classic... but I can see Everton becoming this, tales of the past and a bleak present.

We need to move on, we need to join the game, as bent as it might be, if we are to be able to compete... After all, if you aren't competing, what's the point in taking part at all?

Phil Martin
69   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:33:22

@ #42 Neil Humphreys

"To be fair ? the little success we have had of late has been borne out of hard work, graft and canny buying."

I wasn't aware we have had ANY success since 1995.

What happened to the Mersey Millionaires when we were spending big and winning trophies? Or is that ok because it was UK money (and not Arab Oil/Gas profits) we were spunking on players?

I think there's some double standards here. Seriously I'd love Moyes to take us to the top by shrewd buys alone. However, we hit that wall 3 years ago. We have no money to spend. We have a decaying stadium and every year we fall behind.

If people think we're gonna get out of this cycle merely by uncovering another Tim Cahill, they are deluded.

Robert Johnson
70   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:38:14

I'm with Andrew (15).

Mega-rich investors are one thing, but if Everton ? a club which, unlike most others its size, has retained its sense of being rooted in the community ? becomes controlled and bankrolled by an oppressive dictatorship, count me out. We would cease to be a football club in the sense that I understand it.

I'd rather go without trophies if winning them means that the club we love has to become little more than a sort of PR exercise for a dodgy and corrupt regime. If you know your history and all that... It's just not what Everton is about for me.
Phil Martin
71   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:43:31

@ #69 ? "controlled and bankrolled by an oppressive dictatorship"... "club we love has to become little more than a sort of PR exercise for a dodgy and corrupt regime"

Are you serious? Where have you been for the last 9 years?
Robert Johnson
72   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:48:22

@ #70

Ha, I see your point but, for his faults, I don't think Kenwright ever attempted to impose Sharia law on the club, or enforced labour...
KPR Williams
73   Posted 09/12/2010 at 12:39:21

All I want for Christmas....etc etc.

I'd love us to be up there fighting for the top players with the big dogs, but wouldn't everybody other than the richest clubs? We've done 'alright' on the pitch. Best of the rest etc... but I think mid-table mediocrity is all we can hope for until something happens with the men up top and we can argue till we're blue in the face about formations, players, Moyes contract/tactics but whoever is in charge ain't gonna break into the top 4 without serious money and for whatever reason we just ain't attractive to the money men.

Step forward Harry Redknapp: he's got Spurs into the last 16 but he ain't done it on a budget like ours... and, for all his exploits, if they don't qualify next season and the season after, the England job can't come quick enough ? look at the way he's talking himself up for the job. Why would a manager who's on the verge of taking a club to the highest echelons of European club football be talking about his next job? I'd be well pissed off if I was a Spurs fan...

Short term success brings its own set of problems. Look at the other lot after missing out on Champions League football once in how many years, they are financially as well as morally bankrupt cos they couldn't wait to jump on the money merry-go-round. After missing out on European football once, they became the laughing stock of English/European football.
See the future.

Tony I'Anson
74   Posted 09/12/2010 at 13:30:26

If we do get bought out as a plaything of the uber-rich investors, maybe we'll at least get a brand new stadium out of it.

Then when / if they get bored and sell up at some point in the future, we will still have our brand new stadium to play in. Is that not better than spending another 10 years waiting to see if we are getting Goodison re-built or a new ground?

I think it's a chance well worth taking.
Stephen Kenny
75   Posted 09/12/2010 at 13:20:54

At least this thread shows we are a bit different from the arseholes up in Newcastle, Middle Eastlands and the Shite. They would all be putting fantasy teams up now and talking about Ronaldinho, Eto and Messi.

Nobody knows how they will go about their business. They may want to be seen to be markedly different from ours and their Arab neighbours, they may want to blow them out the water in the transfer market. As many say, it can't be worse than what we have now, signing frees from two divisions below us, and looking for the next big thing in Ligue 2 in Strasbourg's treatment room. Money goes hand in hand with winning these days.

I expect most of us in our wildest dreams imagine us getting into the Champions League and playing the likes of Madrid and Barca. They all spend money like water, not always in transfer fee's but wages and bonuses. We won't be selling out, we will be moving with the times. Again, sad but true.
Phil Martin
76   Posted 09/12/2010 at 14:09:42

@71

Robert, do consistent lies and half truthes count? What about the banning of stakeholders from the AGMs? Isn't that a form of censorship?

Nobody can tell me the the official club site is anything put a mouthpiece for meaningless propaganda spouted every few weeks:

"Becks is special ? Neville", "We're in safe hands ?Moyes", "We'll start scoring soon ? Saha", "5 investors a year" ? Kenwright.

It's already gone down the way you describe. The only thing a billionaire owner will do differently, is give us cash.

I loved football as I knew it growing up in the late 70s/80s, where a solid team, strong management could see you a long way. Unfortunately that's been watered down by the influx of money.

As #74 says, we're better than City, RS and Chelsea fans who rub themselves while reciting their Messi/Ronaldo/Vila wishlists. We don't want to be another Chelsea/City model. And neither does Moyes. So we shouldn't be afraid of someone with stupendous amounts of money wanting to back us.

After all, they're doing this for good publicity ? to aid their own image for World Cup 2022. Fucking the club over and turning the fans into a riotous horde is as little benefit to them as it is to us.

AFAIC, if they want to buy us, provide us funds to challenge for major honours and renovate GP to its former glory, then I'll welcome them like they were born and bred blues.

Larry Boner
77   Posted 09/12/2010 at 14:45:59

The 2011 Asia Cup is to be held in Qatar; some good sides have qualified ? Australia, Japan to name but two. They have 5 stadiums currently, the one in Doha the largest capacity at 50,000.

I think that the take over of clubs by foreign billionaires is about to go tits up... the reason for this? Well, there are only so many players to go round, only so many competitions you can enter and win; the price of buying even a mediocre player is ludicrous, look at the Bebe situation at Man Utd. The contracts that are negotiated all have escape clauses, the wages are not only obscene, but are an insult to every working man...

Just ask yourself this: if all the nurses, waste operatives etc went on strike, the country would be at a standstill in a week. Footballers going on strike wouldn't make the slightest difference, so why do we pay these people so much? It's because of our own pursuit of success.

Instead of all the Sky money being ploughed into ground development, youth systems, grassroots football... it is disappearing away into offshore accounts.

Football supporters need to re-evaluate what exactly it is they want when they go to watch their team, throwing more and more money away on coaches and players has got 99% of the clubs to where they are today, teetering on the edge of an abyss.

How much pleasure have the supporters of FC Utd had at the relatively minor achievements of their fledgling club? Dare I say a lot more than the starstruck followers of Liverpool, Chelsea etc?

I have followed Everton for over 50 years, but sitting in the stands watching these multi-millionaires kick a ball ? well I'm sorry, it's just not what I envisaged all those years ago in 1959 when I entered Goodison for the first time. It sickens me when I see badge kissing bastards like Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, and the rest, purely money orientated, while most of the people watching them struggle to even go to the game. You know the worst part, all these ex pros earning a fortune telling guys like me how the game should be played.

So we may get bought out, I don't really care, the game has gone from the ordinary Joe; let them have it, there will still be people like those at FC Utd and Chester who want to watch real football, played by real players and watched by real fans, eat a real meat pie, at a real price.

Michael Kenrick
78   Posted 09/12/2010 at 15:11:44

Ged (#66) you ask why Lord Grantchester cannot invest or buy... He's had every opportunity, but clearly isn't going to. As I understand it, the reason is Bill Kenwright.

Not sure what it is exactly... but investing would mean working with him, and LG ain't gonna do that in a hurry.

And buying would involve giving Kenwright a huge wad of cash... er... see above.

I like this line too: "in the end we never own our club and the race of an owner matters little."

Hmm... but the 'colour' (as in Blue or not) does!

Michael Kenrick
79   Posted 09/12/2010 at 15:38:58

KPR (#73) ? "After missing out on European football once, they became the laughing stock of English/European football."

I remember only too well the laughter and merriment... from Evertonians. And that was pretty quickly wiped away, was it not, when they came up with a remarkable deal to remove ownership of the club from the two yanks, and present it to some more yanks in exchange for a big debt payoff.

Are we still all laughing? Or has it gone rather embarrassingly quite? As they were able to afford to buy players through their 'crisis', while we remain laughing on the sidelines with our pockets hanging out.
Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
80   Posted 09/12/2010 at 16:01:22

This thread's long enough, things are a bit quiet today regarding new posts, and I quite liked Larry's pre-modern Grumpy Old Man post... so I'm making a new one out of it...
KPR Williams
81   Posted 09/12/2010 at 15:52:47

Michael (#79) ? we'll see how that one pans out..

The most successful club in English football gazumping the giants of European football to secure the signatures of such household names such as Raul Merieles, Christian Poulson and Paul Konchesky.

I'm still sporting a crooked grin, mate, yeah.
Neil Humphreys
82   Posted 09/12/2010 at 16:37:11

Jay (67) ? You've won me over ? get out the cheque book....
Eugene Ruane
83   Posted 09/12/2010 at 17:08:18

Under breath:

"Business?

Business dearie?

Want Business darlin'?"

(ej hooker)
Ged Simpson
84   Posted 09/12/2010 at 17:28:10

Michael K

Owner: Blue or not? Interesting... BK. Blue? Hammered on this site.

Surely nobody believes the ownership of a club has anything to do with the fans anymore (apart from Barcelona maybe... just).

We are there as a back drop to power/money games.
Michael Kenrick
85   Posted 09/12/2010 at 17:35:44

Ged, let's complete the word-sketch:

BK. Blue? ? Yes

Hammered on this site? ? Only by a few vocal contributors.

Loved and adored by many an Evertonian? ? Oh yes...

Because he's a Blue? ? Quite definitely, without question.

As to your wider point, the ownership of Everton is a concern to the small shareholders, of whom I am one. I believe it is also a concern to a wider group of Evertonians who may be interested in a Barca-style fan-ownership / Fans Trust structure. But Blue Bill ain't doing that anytime soon ? even if we could develop the argument that such a thing would be in the best interests of Everton FC and fans (as a total entity). Unfortunately, Blue Bill shows every indication of looking for the big payday ? for him, his fellow major shareholders, and/or his shadowy financiers.

What a legacy Blue Bill could leave us if he championed the transfer of ownership to the fans? But ? with ~£180M profit possibly on the table ? that ain't gonna happen, is it?

Ged Simpson
86   Posted 09/12/2010 at 17:52:59

MK

The problem is the set up of the game not BK or Qatar.

And that falls into the realm of EU law etc.

That is why most fans of most clubs hate the modern game.

My dream is that fans unite across EU and change law but I am a dreamer
Michael Kenrick
87   Posted 09/12/2010 at 18:06:37

Ged (#) ? "The problem is the set up of the game not BK..."

Let's talk about Everton: there's nothing in EU law or anywhere else to stop BK from acting honorably in the interests of the club and all Evertonians by converting ownership to the fans.

Oh... except one thing.

MONEY. £200M minus £20M.
Andrew Gilbert
88   Posted 09/12/2010 at 22:19:32

@ Larry (#77)

I'm with you but I'm still hooked!
Tony I'Anson
89   Posted 10/12/2010 at 17:09:32

Newsflash - Qatar Foundation sponsor FC Barcelona shirts for £125 MILLION. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/12/10/football.barcelona.sponsorship.qatar/?hpt=Sbin

Sweetie money to them?
Ernie McAllister
90   Posted 10/12/2010 at 20:30:27

It's a matter of time before we can't compete with the wrong end of the table ? let alone mid-table. When that happens (and it's happening right now), will your superior motives still be the same, when there really is a threat of relegation, because we are so poor we can't compete with any of the trampy teams coming up?

Whether we like it or not, and I don't, we have to sell or face the very real possibility of ending up in the Championship, or whatever the hell it will be called in years to come, with no chance of getting out of it.

The Arabs down the M62 seem to have a vested interest in the long-term future of City with the money being spent on the academy. The real clincher is more along the lines of... for how long will they stay at City? If City win fuck all for the next couple of years, can you really see them still there? I can't.
Ernie McAllister
91   Posted 10/12/2010 at 20:41:13

Who remotely cares what BK thinks or wants, if Green and Earl where offered that kind of money, the club would be sold possibly with some concessions... it wouldn't make any difference what Kenwright wanted.