The curious case of Victor Anichebe

So Victor is rejecting the offer of a new contract according to the papers today. Everton officials are amazed that he has flatly refused it. Well so am i. If he has turned down anywhere near the £30k per week offer then he wants to be sectioned!

This sums up everything wrong with the modern game. A jumped up nobody commanding that sort of figure? for a club with supposed financial problems we are throwing money around like confetti here, what exactly has he ever done to command that? I am appalled by both sides if this is true, the club for a frankly ridiculous offer and Anichebe for showing a total lack of loyalty to us.

Whilst in previous posts I have stuck up for people like Pienaar on the question of loyalty, for a player who we have stuck by through thick and thin after giving him his big chance to turn us down is shocking. Is anyone else feeling totally alienated by modern football?
Mark Pierpoint, Stoke     Posted 11/12/2010 at 09:38:52

Comments

Ian Kearney
1   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:17:00

I would prefer to hear more about it than one paper's view before I jump on the anti-Vic bandwagon.
Ted Smeethes
2   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:22:02

Totally agree. none of the players really care, bunch of money grabbing shits. All that crap about being 'good servants for the club' , they don't serve anything, they get paid a shed load of money for doing an easy job which the majority of us would gladly do for free.
Tony I'Anson
3   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:26:24

It will be an interesting January at Everton I think.
James I'Anson
4   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:30:11

How do you know his reasons? Might not be anything to do with money. Maybe he'll sign for a club that's not going backwards. For £25k a week.

We'll find out eventually.
Paul Olsen
5   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:36:02

£30k/wk, where on earth did that number come from?
James Stewart
6   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:31:17

Or maybe he just wants to play regular football!

Lets be honest there will only ever one striker's spot under moyes and he's behind Saha, Yakubu, and Beckford for that. So 4th choice at best.

RW which isn't his position anyway he is behind Coleman, and probably Donovan if he comes back.

So he may just not fancy another 3 years on the bench. Plus he has had his differences with Moyes.
So no great surprise really. And just like Gosling, no great loss either.
Eugene Ruane
7   Posted 11/12/2010 at 14:42:26

Doesn't bother me whether it's true or not, I would get rid of Victor for any offer over 18p.

Until then, I would force him to train in a bib that says 'flatters to deceive' on the front and 'puddin' on the back.

The only thing I can say in his favour is he's not alone - just one of many big, inconsistent puddiny lumps knocking around the leagues today.

In my view, ANY club paying more than 500 nicker a week for 'a Vic' is being fleeced.

That said, if I was him and someone was offering daft money, I'd take their arm off.
Alex Taylor
8   Posted 11/12/2010 at 16:02:44

James Stewart is right, another three years on the bench is pointless for him and the club. Let the guy play first team football somwhere else and free up some wages...
Jimmy Changa
9   Posted 11/12/2010 at 17:13:26

Get rid of the bloody goon. Being able to benchpress a lot doesn't make you a good footballer. Just ask Ade Akinbiyi
John Keating
10   Posted 11/12/2010 at 18:00:29

As I've said before. Since going regularly from the 1962 season, I have seen some great players come and go. EFC are still here. The players are long past memories.

Pienaar, Anichebe, Moyes, Kenwright, Alex Young ? my hero with Roy Vernon ? not interested who it is. If you do not want to play for Everton Football Club, thank you and bye bye.

Jimmy Hacking
11   Posted 11/12/2010 at 18:31:11

I am sceptical about the figure of £30,000 a week. But if it is true, it is an appalling amount to waste on a poor player.

I would be astonished if any other club offered him more than £20,000 pw even on a free transfer.
Simon Jenkins
12   Posted 11/12/2010 at 18:34:25

#1 Ian, it was in numerous different newspapers today. They can't all be wrong. The fans certainly don't think the stories are wrong, given the reception he got today.

I was at the game vs Wigan ? he got loudly booed on to the pitch, and even got booed loudly the first few times he touched the ball. On one hand, that's terrible, you probably shouldn't boo your own players, but at the same time, people have just had enough.

In the real world, people are losing their jobs just before Christmas, and yet here is a deeply average 22-year-old 'striker', with an appalling goalscoring record, who spent a year out injured 2009-10, and yet he has the gall to snub a very generous new contract offer indeed.

For me, he wouldn't play again for Everton Football Club, and I'd sell him at 00:01 on January 1st when the window opens. People have just had it with the likes of him, Heitinga, Saha, and even Pienaar to an extent.

Colin Potter
13   Posted 11/12/2010 at 18:53:19

I wouldn't pay the bum in washers. As a footballer,he is the pits.
Unlike Eugene though, I would offer someone a few shillings to take him off our hands!
Ray Robinson
14   Posted 11/12/2010 at 19:32:25

If it's true, I think I'm more annoyed at the club offering him £30k a week.... He's never done anything to justify it. And to think some people were querying why attempt to re-sign Donovan when we've got Anichebe!
Sean McCarthy
15   Posted 11/12/2010 at 19:48:34

He's a poor poor player and £30k a year is too much ? let alone a week!! Let him go. No-one will miss him.
John Keating
16   Posted 11/12/2010 at 19:30:28

Where do these pricks go if they snub Everton Football Club ? Wigan? Sorry these guys need to be realistic. If they think they can better themselves going elsewhere then good luck to them.

Saying that, once they've realised they've fucked up, IF we have a place for them and the manager has a mind for them ? give us your all!! Sickens me to hear them say they love us, kiss the badge etc etc etc. They go, we stay!

Eugene Ruane
17   Posted 11/12/2010 at 20:32:41

Colin, it's my biggest fault.

I'm too soft.
Kunal Desai
18   Posted 11/12/2010 at 20:33:49

This unfortunately just represents the current situation at Everton Football Club. 25 years ago players would be chomping at the bit to join Everton to play for this once great club, but now the harsh reality is, whether you like it or not, we are an average club making up the numbers in the PL.

Let's be honest, what attractive proposition is there at Everton for potential players to come and ply their trade? Under this current regime and management, halfwits like Anichebe and Gosling, who are not great shakes in the slightest, will seek pastures new.

Eugene Ruane
19   Posted 11/12/2010 at 21:03:44

Kunal you might be right.

Even Vaughan doesn't seem keen to get back... from a team at the arse end of 'the Championship'.
Kevin Roberts
20   Posted 11/12/2010 at 21:34:12

I don't think any player should hold the club to ransom. If they don't want to accept the contract offered then they have every right to hold old out until they are free agents. But in the same vein then the club has every right to sell or I think in Vic's case hold out for a fee from his new club. This goes for all of them: Pienaar, Yak whoever ? none are bigger than the club.

What pissed me off today was the boo boys on Vic's appearance. I don't seem to recall this for Pienaar who won't say "I'm off".

So let's back all the players the same good or bad and I won't boo a player whilst he's wearing the shirt.

Rob Hollis
21   Posted 11/12/2010 at 21:58:26

Anichibe might want more money, might want better prospects, might want regular first team football.

If he joins my work five-a-side team then he would still be on the fucking bench. I am 51 and I would still get picked before the prick.

Tell the lazy bastard to piss off and stop insulting the fans and club.
Paul Gallagher
22   Posted 11/12/2010 at 22:40:12

How can you say he wants first team football? The lad is never fit, that's why he doesn't play. He comes straight back into the first team after months out, so he must know that Moyes rates him. I'm made up he has turned down the contract ? he should never have been offered it in the first place... he is a poor man's Heskey, that's how bad he is... always on his arse.
Rob Hollis
23   Posted 11/12/2010 at 22:47:13

Kevin

Maybe Pienaar's on-field activity ? such as being an amazing player ? has earned a degree of respect.

Anichebe has done nothing and is nothing, just another idiot with an inflated sense of self-importance and little talent.
John Daley
24   Posted 11/12/2010 at 22:30:39

Must admit I was surprised Moyes brought Anichebe on today. Usually when he has a disagreement with a player he tends to leave them stewing with the stiffs. Thought the booing as he came on was a bit harsh. No one really knows what's going on at the club... apart from the fact that something is not right at the moment.

Yes, he's not a great player. Yes, £30k a week is a fair wedge for a clumsy, makeshift wideman. Yes, Everton is probably the biggest club he's ever going to play for. However, I can maybe see where he's coming from. He's been in and around the first team squad for four or five years now without getting a prolonged run of games and is never going to be a regular starter.

He's been switched from his favoured forward role and forcibly converted into a right midfielder due to the fact that the club can't afford to buy any fucker to fill that role. His best mate at the club has been unceremoniously binned off to Crystal Palace and no-one at the club has even had the decency to make contact with the lad (doesn't someone from the club usually go and watch young players who are out on loan to see how they're doing?).

He had a falling out with Moyes last year and I don't think the stubborn Scot is the type to readily forgive and forget. If I was him, I would probably be tempted to explore other options as well.

Also, haven't the club left it a bit late (again) to be offering him a new deal now with only six months remaining on his current contract?

Ernie McAllister
25   Posted 11/12/2010 at 23:40:09

By all accounts, we had a chance last year to sell the lad to Hull City. He is simply not good enough and the sooner we get shut of him, the better.

How someone of his limited ability can take the place of Coleman the week before baffles me completely.

Seems like we have a whole bunch of lads who want out, not hard to see with the weekly shite results we've been getting.

I'd like to see quite a number shipped out in January.
Graham Rathbone
26   Posted 11/12/2010 at 23:39:37

I cannot believe that this useless twat is turning down £30,000 a week, I don't earn that a year. I was at the match today and heard people booing when he came on. I agreed with them.

He has played a few games and done nothing, he spends most of his time whining and holding his head when he is tackled. Please get rid of this waste of fucking space and free up some money for anyone who actually gives a shit.

Kieran Kinsella
27   Posted 11/12/2010 at 23:59:21

There are a lot of Everton stories in the Saturday papers beginning with the fact that Big Vic wants to leave. My opinion is this: if as alleged he is turning his nose up at a £30k a week deal then he needs to be sent to the nut house and Moyes needs to be sacked. Seriously £30k a week for a slow, injury-prone lazy player who hardly ever scores?! Ludicrous.

Bily meanwhile claims it will be very bad news for Everton if Pienaar leaves. I guess this is his way of admitting that he is crap considering he is the man most likely to fill the void. In my mind, Pienaar is like Juninho or Joe Cole. He is a skillful midget who is largely ineffective. All razzle dazzle but very few goals or assists and just one cog in a crap team. If he wants to be paid more than £60k, get rid of him and watch him sit on the bench alongside Bentley, Keane, Kranjcar and all the other new toys Redkanpp got tired of.

We are told we have no money and yet we pay £60k a week to other bumbling idiots like Heitinga and Saha (who conned us like Pistone did when his contract was up). The whole place is a joke and the team is full of over-paid, over-rated mediocre losers who are a pale shadow of people like Alan Harper and Kevin Langley who earned practically nothing, are long forgotten ...but won Championship medals with the club.

Glen Anderson
28   Posted 12/12/2010 at 00:14:47

Well said, Kieran. Reads like you reeled all that off from the heart and I don't doubt that this is the case. I agree with everything you wrote... although it pains me to do so.
Roy Coyne
29   Posted 12/12/2010 at 03:23:15

If Vic wants out show him the door. I did have hopes for him a few seasons ago but he has not progressed as I thought and his attitude is poor.
Paul Rimmer
30   Posted 12/12/2010 at 05:30:38

Try to sell him for any fee in January. Get a new face in. To echo others, he is poor and if he's been offered £30 grand a week, I might get myself to Finch Farm.
Tony Gee
31   Posted 12/12/2010 at 12:57:12

I've just seen him hanging around our local Jewellers...
John Nelson
32   Posted 12/12/2010 at 13:20:00

As the initial post states, I am somewhat amazed by both sides if this is indeed true. Kenwright and Moyes must both be off their chunk to be wanting to give this yard dog £30k a week, and Anichebe must look in the mirror and see Didier Drogba to think he's worth more. Fucking ludicrous.

Again, as the initial post states, fuck the prick off and use the £30k to give Pienaar a pay rise and keep him.

My resentment of Anichebe, by the way, stems from when he first came on the scene ? he actually did look like he could become a Drogba. But unfortunately, as is the case with a lot of young players, when he "made it", he thought he was Billy Bigtime and couldn't be arsed from then on.

Fuck him off, Blues.
Jason Lam
33   Posted 13/12/2010 at 05:39:27

I wrote in to the Mailbag a couple of years ago to tell 'Big Vic' to Fuck Off.

Well, a couple years have gone by and he's still shit. All this shit about 'he'll come through' and 'Sharpie was a slow started' blah blah.

He's shit and waste of his God given physique. Big Vic go fuck off.