Members:   Log In Sign Up

Next Everton Manager

In response to a post saying that anti-Moyes supporters need to give a viable solution rather than just sack him without any plans:

Who (realistically) would you like to see as the next Everton manager ? in ONE word (or two):

Allardyce
Phil Neville
Other

Matthew Lovekin, Brighton     Posted 14/12/2010 at 14:20:31

Comments

Jay Harris
1   Posted 14/12/2010 at 14:57:47

Mathew parking current emotions for a moment do you really honestly believe any of that bunch would be any better than Moyes with a zero budget.

The only one that comes close is O'Neill and he consistently finished below Moyes while spending more money.

I believe this has been coming for 2 years.

You cannot consistently maintain a top six finish while other teams are spending multi millions.

The only thing I would criticise Moyes for is taking the money and stubbornly feeling that he could still take us places when he should have told Kenwright to stick it.

I am disappointes that all the posts are about Moyes out and Kenwright is getting away with his bullshit again.
Andrew Conroy
2   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:03:48

None of these fill me with any real excitement, I must admit Matthew. O'Neill would stir up something, but it wouldn't be attractive football.

I'll have to be vague and say Other.
Jimmy Changa
3   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:04:40

If it had to be one of them, I would say Hughton.
Ben Howard
4   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:06:22

In order of preference.

1. Roberto Di Matteo
2. Owen Coyle
3. Slaven Billic
Andrew McGreavy
5   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:13:09

I think we need to move away from the money argument, all I want to see is for us to have a go, try and win a game, rather than trying to bore the opposition to sleep in the hope we may nick a goal whilst there snoozing.

Coyle and Di Matteo, are both raw managers, both had there teams playing us off the park, I will bet none of there players earns a third of what Arteta does a week, look at Coyle loosing 1-0 down to 10 men, what does he do ATTACK!!! and they win 2-1, if that was Moyes he would have settled at just keeping it 1-0.

I'll chuck in Paul Lambert at Norwich, he did wonders at Colchester (with no budget at all) and he has got Norwich promoted and high in the championship, playing attacking football.
Dave Wilson
6   Posted 14/12/2010 at 14:52:04

I would be absolutely gutted if anybody on that list was given the Everton job.

I`m amazed by the amount of people who scream "I wont accept mediocrity any longer " then advocate one or more of the names on this list as Moyes`s succesor.

That may be a suitable list of candidates for the Blackburn vacancy but FFS boys, We are Everton!
Tony J Williams
7   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:15:34

Billic gets quite a lot of mention on this site. What credentials for the Premier League does he actually have?

And as with post No 1, what are they going to do when they get here? After the initial couple of games feel good factor, he will be stuck with the exact players with no money to buy new ones.

Apart from the wages why would anyone want to manage us? I am supprised Moyes didn't ask for more money, his first conditions of a new contract to Bill was probably a piss-take but the dope accepted it. Other managers would have walked quite some time ago. (Moyes doesn't have to now, probably one of the safest jobs in the league.)
James Cadwaladr
8   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:29:09

1/ Di Matteo
2/ Martin ONeill
3/ Owen Coyle
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:21:39

No mention of

Martin Jol - proven in premier and shafted by Spurs
Manuel Pellegrini - unproven in prem and doesnt speak English but does get his team playing some really entertaining football
Dave Jones - formerly of this parish, has prem experience and does get his teams playing decent football

Of your list, the football I find most attractive to watch is
Ian Holloway - no ifs or buts just gets on with it
Roberto Di Matteo - his team knows where the net is
Owen Coyle - turned Bolton from that alehouse side Allardyce created into a reasonable side

never rated O'Neill, he's always inherited sides and claimed the glory, winning the Scottish Pub League is no great shakes either it only ever goes two ways
Tom Mallows
10   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:20:19

But have they won anything??? No!
Holloway is the classic example, yes Blackpool are doing well this season, but they could collapse like Hull did - remember when Phil Brown was the best thing since sliced bread 2 years ago? Or what about Aidy Boothroyd when he brought Watford up? Everyone was raving about him - Where is he now!?
Without funds the manager is limited, be it Moyes or someone else. And if that list is a accurate assessment of who is available, we are better of sticking with Moyes IMO.
Larry Boner
11   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:28:16

The chances of Mr Moyes resigning or being sacked are very, very remote. There would have to be a devastating turn of events, such as being in the bottom 3 after the West Ham or Stoke games and losing to Scunthorpe in FA Cup... hang on though, this scenario doesn't seem that unlikely.

We cannot hit a consistent scoring run, can't win games because of this, and Scunthorpe, though probably the worst team at home, have got nothing to lose by going all out against a powder-puff Everton team.

So, you never know, Mr Moyes may resign, 8 January 2011, leaving Mr Kenwright with the absolute obvious replacement, Phil Neville, with Alan Stubbs as assistant.

James Carroll
12   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:42:40

big Nev and big Dunc (imagine the trips to the pub, too!)
KPR Williams
13   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:55:16

Howard Kendall..
Paul Holmes
14   Posted 14/12/2010 at 15:53:36

Get Glen Hoddle ? great CV; played at the highest level (probably would still be the best player at the club!) ? England were fantastic in the World Cup with him as manager (only went out because of Beckham's sending off v Argentina, and Sol Campbell's disallowed goal)... He had unfashionable Swindon Town playing great football.

It went a bit downhill after leaving England job (sacked over nothing to do with football matters). He's had time out of the game but when he's on Sky Sports as a panelist, speaks very well ? imagine him working Baines, Rodwell etc on the raining pitch instead of Davey and some fella called Round... Enough said!

Andy Crooks
15   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:05:18

I agree with Gavin's list. To it I would add Glenn Hoddle.
Sean Smythe
16   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:06:33

Owen Coyle

Sean O'Driscoll

Paul Lambert

Chris Sillett
17   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:08:25

I would burn my season ticket if Phil Neville or Sam Allardyce became our manager. Dave Jones? I watched the Football League Show last week and the bird who reads the e-mails out was saying "lots of Cardiff fans unhappy with Dave Jones" - no thanks!

My three choices in order of preference would be:

1. Martin Jol
2. Owen Coyle
3. Martin O'Neill
Nelaj Behajiha
18   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:17:43

Simple get rid of both Moyes and Kenwright and we'd be far better.
Chris Keightley
19   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:23:03

Paul Lambert ? up and coming and would relish the opportunity!
Craig Taylor
20   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:21:43

First of all I think as shit as things seem (no are) at the minute I think Moyes should be given a chance with money. No one can be expected to work the miracles that moyes has the last few seasons, even Moyes himself.

However I do like the fact that these young managers want to attack.

Di Matteo - just needs to gain some more experiance in the Prem, but from the list above he would be my number 1.

Howard Don
21   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:30:33

If the majority of that list are realistic contenders then Moyes is in no danger for me. If Moyes left, the one I'd go for would be Coyle. He strikes me as a guy who's going places and appears to be creating at Bolton that difficult blend of being hard to beat while playing some decent football. This on a tight budget which he'd inevitably have at Everton.

I agree with Tony Williams (7) what on earth has Bilic achieved in club management, let alone the EPL, to warrant the number of mentions he gets here, I could see him being a high profile disaster.
Dennis Stevens
22   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:12:49

Since our first Title success in 1891, Everton have always won the Championship in the 24th anniversary season, however, Moyes seems to be likely to have us nearer the relegation zone than the Title. This isn't entirely his fault as he isn't really qualified for the role, considering our successful managers have all been English former Everton players - which seems to also rule out most of the suggested replacements as well.

To argue the merits or otherwise of an unending list of prospective replacements is pointless. We don't actually know how any of them would fare & will only find out if & when Moyes is replaced. What is clear is that whatever Moyes is doing seems to be ineffective & the case for his being replaced has more to do with the risk to the club of continuing as we are. I can't say I've any confidence that our inept Board are capable of decisive action & if they do eventually act it may well be ill-considered & untimely. If Moyes goes it should be early in the New Year or during the summer break, unless relegated before the season's end, of course.
KPR Williams
23   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:43:17

Slaven Bilic?
screwed us for enough money already hasn't he?
Ben Howard
24   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:50:49

These are the latest odds at oddschecker.com for the next permanent Everton manager

Martin ONeill 4/1
Peter Reid 50/1
Graeme Souness 50/1
Andy Gray 100/1
Gary Lineker 100/1
Mike Burgess
25   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:56:00

Not sure he should go yet. If he pulled his head out of his arse and signs a good striker and donavan maybe all these draws would of been wins or a striker that puts away half the chances that we have created we wouldnt be moaning so much......But if i had to choose a new manager...

McClaren - forgetting england stint a sucessfull manager and knows how to win things dutch league, ufea, carling cup i think?

Owen Coyle - as stated above turned bolton from yard dogs to flowing footy in 11 months and improving there players no end.

Martin Jol - Decent a spurs but no sure how he'd be without much cash so not sure about his commitment.

Should be an interesting summer
Aidy Dews
26   Posted 14/12/2010 at 16:56:57

If Moyes was to walk out or get the sack sometime soon, or at the end of the season, then having Coyle to replace him is an absolute No-Go ? not because i don't like him (cos I really do, I like how he goes about things and gets his teams playing and going for it in games) but he made a big deal out of moving to Bolton, he knocked back jobs like Celtic (I know what you'll all say but he's Scottish and a big hero up there too) whilst at Burnley but then couldn't say no when Bolton came knocking so it just shows you his affinity for them; he wouldn't give us a thought.

For me, if he was ever still available (IF Moyes was to go) then Jol would be my first choice but i think it would come down to money and funds available for him if he came and we haven't got any... so i think that one would be doubtful as well.

But I also wouldn't mind going down the Moyes route again and looking at one of the up-and-coming managers from the lower leagues, the likes of Lambert, Billy Davies, O'Driscoll, Lee Clark, Poyet, Eddie Howe or even have Alan Irvine back!

A lot of them managers above have taken on clubs that were faltering, didn't or don't have a lot of cash, and they're working wonders with them and getting them playing good, decent football. Soon enough, one of those will be pushing for a chance to manage in the top league and it's down to clubs and chairmen to be brave enough to take them on and give them that opportunity ? and why should it not be us?
Darren Frendo
27   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:14:55

some evertonians really amaze me. You really want moyes out? why cos he sticks to 4 5 1 and doesn t play yakubu who 3 years ago used to score goals? we can t afford 1 million in the transfer market yet some people here insist they don t want everton s soul to be sold to some arab sheik with no love for everton? that is why everton fc will never be sold cos people like this just moan and do nothing about it. in the meantime others protest and get what they weant. I live in malta and recently went to see evrton at goodison.. the support was as awful as our strike force yet we say we support our team??? and we want them to get out of their slump when all you could hear is cursing the manager and the players... coem on get real.. stand up and be counted and stop the moaning.. unless kenwright sells we ll never move forward and it amazes me that moyes has stuck with such mediocrity!!!.
James Stewart
28   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:21:45

Coyle is the best candidate domestically.

There are plenty of other options outside of the premiership.
James Stewart
29   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:23:43

There are not many who could do any worst than moyes at present!
Jon Gorman
30   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:39:02

KENDALL!!
Kunal Desai
31   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:38:39

Coyle and Di Matteo would certainly do a good job and work with the current players we have.
Jackie Barry
32   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:54:02

O'neil is certainly not the manager for Everton. I have to laugh at the people who make the excuse that we have been playing with the big boys too long and what is happening now is inevitable! Wind back to the beginning of the season and this was supposedly our best squad in years, now it's because we don't have the money to buy decent plays, LOL! Our players are actually pretty good and I would want a manager to come in and actually get these current lot playing how the should. Instead of the negative tactics, the picking of players who should not be picked and the taking responsibility for the way HIS team plays.
Jackie Barry
33   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:57:43

Stop making excuse after excuse for Moyes, you are only going to make him look worse in the end.
Charles King
34   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:39:07

Whoever sent a CV saying:

"I've looked at the Everton squad and I'll get them playing with verve and belief.
We might not win every game but we won't play like frightened sheep or roll over for anyone.
I'll turn Goodison into a lions den, we'll put the fear of God in all and sundry.
I'll ship out any player who sulks or gets too big for his boots and play young hungry lads from the youth set up.
My youth team will ONLY have lads in chomping at the bit to get in the first team.
I will be brave enough to wheel and deal in the transfer market and the fans will trust me, because my judgement is right.
I will work with the history and glory of Everton football Club and not be frightened by it.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM"
Gavin Ramejkis
35   Posted 14/12/2010 at 17:47:32

Aidy, Coyle turned down Celtic for two reasons, first they are potless and the money was a whole lot less than Bolton offered (win the Scottish Pub League and you get about £1m) and two the Scottish Pub League is a graveyard for retiring managers, Coyle would only have taken it as his final job, same as Moyes.

Chris Sillett, not sure if you remember Dave Jones at Southampton before the kiddie fiddling lies ruined it for him, good team, he handed it over to Glenn Hoddle to come up here for the court case which was rightly thrown out straight away. Who do you think beat Cardiff for the promotion slot? Holloway's Blackpool and it was close.
Lee Courtliff
36   Posted 14/12/2010 at 18:00:07

If Moyes does go then my choice would be.... don't really know. I am torn between Jol, Coyle, Di Matteo and Holloway. I always liked Jol but I do like the idea of a young, hungry manager!
Daniel Johnson
37   Posted 14/12/2010 at 18:28:04

A few points;

- How did Bolton play Everton off the park? We enjoyed a humongous slice of possession and wasted several chances in that match. Bolton played a largely physical and industrious game which I think would be backed up by the statistics.

- Bolton were level in the game when they had a man sent off and only nicked a goal (immediately after Blackburn had equalised) via route one- a much derided style of football on this site.

- West Brom play a slow game in a similar way to everton in which they control possession comfortably without a massive threat. Don't really see how there is evidence for Di Matteo changing the luck of the strikers and their profligacy
Neil Steele
38   Posted 14/12/2010 at 18:44:30

Hughes

Coyle

Lambert

in that order
Joe McMahon
39   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:14:55

I'll have any of them aprt from Big Sam (I do think Blackburn were harsh on him though) and Lambert)

Many folk slag McClaren but He took Boro to league cup win and Uefa final in a lot less than 9 years. Then very impressive in Holland. I just want Moyes out most will do. Any manager who will attack, and nost waste 9million on a snail like Billy.
Simon Jenkins
40   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:28:27

Moyes has a better track record than Jol. In Premiership finishes, reaching cup finals and in Europe.

I wouldn't actively get rid of Moyes for any of them. It's only two years since we were all panicking about keeping hold of Moyes.

Yes, Moyes made a mistake signing Bily, but show me a manager who hasn't made an expensive mistake? Thankfully Moyes doesn't make that many.

Our current bad run is clouding the judgement of many, in regards to the overall job Moyes has done and is doing. It used to be that Moyes was slagged off for 'hoofball'. Remember those threads? He's changed our style of play to a more anesthetically pleasing style - the problem is there is no end product, because the strikers we possess aren't up to the job. Okay then. So give the manager time and money (hopefully!) in January to change that! After all Moyes has done in the last 4 years (6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, a FA cup final, a league cup semi final, lengthy runs in Europe - he deserves more time and a bit of respect. Everyone slags off Newcastle and Blackburn for their sackings - can you imagine everyone's reaction if - and it will never happen - Moyes was sacked? People would think we have taken not just the biscuit but the a whole shop full of them! Yes, other people's opinions are of no concern to us I know, but the perception of Moyes is that, overall, he has done and is doing a fantastic job at Everton. I honestly think no-one else could do what he does, and if he went, with no obvious replacement out there of his calibre, we would be in a relegation fight season on season, similar to West Ham.
Clive Lewis
41   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:33:48

La La
Tinky Winky
Po
Dipsy and noo noo as backup

I am noy going to treat this seriously people are deluded. The current problem is we have no money.
Eddie Maidens
42   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:21:23

Steve McClaren

Co Adriaanse

Guus Hiddink

John v/d Brom

But it probably will be Phil Neville with Leon Osman and Tony Hibbert as assistants.
Paul Olsen
43   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:39:38

#1 i would expect alot of them to grasp some basic things that Moyes is currently failing to do.

Namely

- Naming a first eleven containing the best 11 or at least something close.
- Being able to make subs before the 70th minute when needed.
- Be better to adress the issues that are clear as the day to most supporters.
- Maybe bring some actual width into our gameplan. Everton have not played with real width since Kanchelskis and it makes us one dimensional.
- To make Everton ready to compete in the premier league from the first game of the season. Instead of starting the season in November/December
- Not to play defenders in midfield continously
- Assembling at least one striker of decent capacity/will/potential
- Actually advicing midfielders to help out offensively instead of purely focussing on keeping the shape.
- An ability to shake things up in bad periods.

Sure, i believe some of these names and numerous others could do that.
Simon Baines
44   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:59:10

I think its obvious that anyone who chooses Bilic doesnt remember how he treated Everton.
He retired through a so-called injury then went and played in Croatia, i remember the lovely penalty he gave away against West Ham in one of his last games.
I'll bet my house that not one of those managers could get Everton 4th place EVER.

IMIT COYB
Brian Waring
45   Posted 14/12/2010 at 19:49:58

It's fucking infuriating, how many of you put the problems we have at the moment down to money, so therefore Moyes gets his out of jail card.

The problem, is that Moyes is tactically inept, and has proved it this season, and for me, he has proved it most seasons.

He keeps playing Saha, who has been woeful, thats a tactical decision.

He played a striker returning from injury, on the right, and then on the left wings, when there was better players suited to play there, thats a tactical decision.

He kept playing Heitinga, who was playing shite, whilst Rodwell sat on the bench, thats a tactical decision.

He was playing Arteta so deep, it was unbelievable, that was a tactical decision.

He has everyone back defending corners, so when the ball gets cleared, it comes right back at us, because everyone is still in the penalty box, that a tactical decision.

One tactical decision he could make, is to just fucking go for it, especially at home.

At the end of the day, Moyes said this was the best squad ever, and was good enough to challenge the top 4.
Simon Baines
46   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:04:03

Brian, I agree with you over Saha, he got his contract and has played shite ever since, the problem is Beckford is worse than Stuart Barlow, and the Yak can't get any power in his shots.

I'd play Vaughan ? he cannot be worse.

IMIT COYB

Simon Baines
47   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:08:19

Just a sidenote ? have you heard the new owners of Blackburn? ? They've said they should be challenging for 4th or 5th.

Seriously, I know we don't have any money but I would rather have BK than 99% of the new owners coming into footy.

IMIT COYB

Bobby Woll
48   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:24:13

Peter Reid. We'd have some passion then!
Peter Fearon
49   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:04:31

I wish people would stop claiming that David Moyes or a future Everton manager has a zero budget. It is not true and it has never been true.

How did he buy Krøldrup, Beattie, AJ, Yakubu, Bily, Fellaini, Jags and everyone else on a zero budget? It's just bollocks. The man has spent the best part of £80 Million. It's limited. It's restrictive. It's not zero.

As for a future manager, I know I'm going to be pilloried but I'd love to see Dave Watson managing Everton. Not enough experience? That's what they said about Howard Kendall.

Gerry Quinn
50   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:29:59

I'd go for Souness..................by the fuckin throat!
Aidy Dews
51   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:18:38

Gavin *35, to say Celtic are potless they gave Lennon a fair bit to splash out on, and that was before the money they fetched in for McGeady!. And it might be a shit league but Celtic is a better propersition than Burnley, it was a chance for him to have a crack in Europe aswell.
Matthew Lovekin
52   Posted 14/12/2010 at 20:45:34

Brian (#45) Spot on. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Thomas James

Phil Neville - DEFO worth a shot
----
Others
Jol
Karl Jones
54   Posted 14/12/2010 at 21:27:29

Tony marsh- then he could slag himself off 24/7...What a depressing thought.
Ian McDowell
55   Posted 14/12/2010 at 21:58:20

There is not a manger on that list that I would sooner have over moyes. If you asked most football fans who they would have on that list and included David Moyes I guarantee that Moyes would be the man they went for. Suggesting Coyle because he has had a few good wins with Bolton is a joke. I will say that if we get rid of Moyes in 5 years time we will be bloody sorry.
John Armstrong
56   Posted 14/12/2010 at 21:45:38

Peter Fearon (#49) - Moyes has actually spent £111 Million according to the player transfers listed on this site, I've just totted up the figures. HOWEVER, he has recouped £74 Million due to player sales, and by the way that is with the Rooney sale down as bringing in only £10 Million (unless he appears twice in the list and I've missed him).

This equates to a NET SPEND of £37 Million over the time he has been here, obviously less if you factor in the correct figure for Rooney.

I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this concept. The amount spent on players at our club is DIRECTLY GOVERNED by the amount we bring in through player sales. Saying a manager has spent X amount (Gross) over their tenure tells you exactly NOTHING about whether they have been well supported by the board, as it doesn't take into consideration money brought in from sales.

The figures on here tally with my own records as regards player transfers by the way, I think last time I checked, the average NET spend per season was about £4M. Others on here have quoted £3M; so even if some amounts are incorrect, we are definitely in the £3 - £5 Million bracket. And a net spend of that amount season on season, for a club of our stature, is a DISGRACE.
Ian McDowell
57   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:06:50

John Armstrong spot on and people wonder why we struggle.
John Daley
58   Posted 14/12/2010 at 21:56:33

"He's changed our style of play to a more anesthetically pleasing style - "

Anaesthetically pleasing? What, as in the football's so labored and boring you're happy to doze off halfway through it ? You're definitely right there, unless you meant to say 'aesthetically pleasing' in which case you're just pissing up the wrong tree I'm afraid.
Mike Burgess
59   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:01:39

Thomas James.........how could mcclaren be shit when hes the most expericed and successfull on the list, Hughton you state inexperienced but not the same for Holloway, martinez or poyet ?????
Jimmy Hacking
60   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:08:11

Paul Lambert

I like this guy, he's clever and he is positive and he has that indefinable air of being a "winner" about him.

Realistically, it has to be a rookie, The fans wouldn't accept an Allardyce or a Hughton and nobody with any history of success would touch us with a bargepole.
John Daley
61   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:11:37

"IMIT COYB"

What the fuck's that all about?
Guy Hastings
62   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:11:07

That feller at Inter Milan will be looking for a job soon.
John Maxwell
63   Posted 14/12/2010 at 21:48:48

@Peter Fearon 49.

Dont forget to take off.
26m Rooney
21m Lescott
11m Johnson
5m McFadden

So thats around 17m spent, may of missed off a few players, but 17m in the last years isnt much compared to other clubs.

How people can mention Di Matteo, give it a couple of seasons and West Brom will be back in the championship....

Looking at next Mondays game, lets play 4-6-0 like we did at City last season... We won 0-2, none of our strikers are scoring so seems like a decent idea to me ?
David Mathieson
64   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:30:40

Graeme Sharp.
Aidy Dews
65   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:28:20

Brian *45, well said!.
Peter Fearon
66   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:31:24

John Maxwell, Subtracting what a manager rakes in from transfers from what he spends on players is voodoo accounting. The statistic is absolutely irrelevant. You can't argue a manager has had nothing to spend if he spends £15M on this player, £11M on that player and £9M on the other player. How the money is raised, whether by loans or transfers out, is meaningless, unless you are saying he should have kept certain players and not bought others. Moyes chose to pay tens of millions on players who have contributed almost nothing - all from his "zero" budget.
Ian Kearney
67   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:48:21

Lambert is the most talented managng prospect in the country, someones going to take a chance on him, and will reap the benefits.

John Collins was doing a very good job at Hibs, playing good football till he stood up to the chairman and left (that rules him out then!).
John Armstrong
68   Posted 14/12/2010 at 22:40:52

Sorry Peter, I think you are wrong on this. You can't spend it if you haven't got it (unless you go into debt of course), and if the only way you can spend it is by selling players then it shows that you are not very well backed by your board (or that the club is skint).

Consider the follwing:

'Joe Bloggs has spent £200 Million on players during his 10 year spell at the club'. The question is, 'Has the manager been well backed by the board?'. The answer is 'I DON'T KNOW!'.

You don't know because you are not being told whether or not the manager has had to sell £200M worth of players to fund transfers (not well supported by the board as net spend is zero), or whether he has only had to raise £100M through player sales (well supported by the board to the tune of £100M).

I'm not sure how it qualifies as voodoo accounting; after all, we do the same things ourselve in our daily lives. The amount we spend on stuff relates directly to the amount we earn.

By the way, I didn't make any comment on whether Moyes had spent wisely ? I think by and large he has, though I agree that at this moment in time, Bily looks like an expensive mistake.
Russell Buckley
69   Posted 14/12/2010 at 23:19:06

It was raised above, I hadn't even considered it before I read the comment.

If we ended up with Sam Allardyce that may be the end of the line for me as an Evertonian. I just don't think I could take that.
Russell Buckley
70   Posted 14/12/2010 at 23:34:45

Moyes problems are being highlighted at the moment but finding replacing him is more complicated than it seems.

Peter Fearon, I'll agree that Moyes has had some money to spend but John Maxwell is getting at the real point. He has not been backed by the board when compared to his peers.

Why do you think he has received all the plaudits over the years. He has run this club on an oily rag compared to most establishe premier league clubs.

If we got someone in like Jol, O'Neil or Coyle I'm sure there would be an up turn. But how long would it last. How many big name managers would be happy working under such limitations. How long until they suffer the same fate as Moyes and go stale?
Marcus Kendall
71   Posted 14/12/2010 at 23:46:00

Allardyce (no, just no)
Hughton (why is he the new flavour of the month?????)
McClaren (no, failing in Germany)
Bilic (decent manager but doubt the fans would accept him after his dubious playing days at the club)
Lambert (promising, good attitude)
O'Neill (no, just no)
Poyet (my personal choice, getting Brighton playign some cracking stuff in the 1st division with AVERAGE players)
Coyle (excellent, knew he would be good the first time I heard him speak on getting the Burnley job, however I doubt he'd leave Bolton as he has affinity to the club)
Holloway (no way, chequered managerial history at best)
Di Matteo (not bad and I wouldn't mind him in truth)
Martinez (not impressing me at Wigan)
Grayson (leeds through and through, good manager but like Coyle I doubt he'd leave)
Phil Neville
(no, could be another Southgate)
John Armstrong
72   Posted 14/12/2010 at 23:49:36

Jay Harris is correct right at the top of the article. "You cannot consistently maintain a top six finish while other teams are spending multi millions".

A net spend of £4M or so per year will eventually catch up with you.
Marcus Kendall
73   Posted 14/12/2010 at 23:51:06

As for some other suggestions:

Jol, you think Moyes is tactically inept? well Jol is even worse. Don't get how this guy has this great reputation so I guess it must be a media creation. Done absolutely nothing of note in Germany or at Ajax either.

Pellegrini, is now managing at Malaga who have their own oil rich sheikh.

Dave Jones, he may be an Evertonian but hes an average manager. Sorry but its the truth.

Hoddle, an interesting suggestion, would be a massive gamble but if it worked out then the football would be more pleasing on the eye. Personally I wouldn't take the gamble though.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Sean O'Driscoll? Fantastic job hes doing at Doncaster and playing nice football to boot. I get tired of the same old suggestions when talking of possible managerial candidates, people never think outside the box.

Eddie Howe perhaps? Doing good work at Bournemouth and is an Evertonian. Might be too soon for him but he would be good to have as a possible assistant manager.

As for Moyes, I agree he needs to go, have always had my doubts about him which is a shame because I loved the guy when he first took the job. He had balls then, seem to remember a 4-3 AT Derby! Couldn't imagine that now though.
Carlos Camacho
74   Posted 15/12/2010 at 00:02:27

Phil Jackson - he isn't a football coach, but he would probably pick better players and make them win

Jürgen Klinsmann - Maybe he will bring fellow Californian L.D. with him.

Vanderlei Luxemburgo - I need to see felow Brasilian take on Everton before we end up in League Two.
Paul Holmes
75   Posted 15/12/2010 at 01:33:54

Glenn Hoddle ? class player, class manager... 60% win rate as England manager (lost his job ? nothing to do with football) then Kevin Keegan took over, and we all know how badly that turned out!

HODDLE, HODDLE, HODDLE!

Jackie Barry
76   Posted 15/12/2010 at 02:08:14

Stop giving the guy excuses, he said himself that his squad is the best he has ever had. You are saying that the like of Bolton, Sunderland, Blackpool and West Brom all have better squads than we do? Whatever, if anything it just goes to show how tactically inept Moyes really is. He may have sold players but he has paid out millions for many right-offs, at any other club if he had wasted money like that he'd of been kicked out long ago. What gets me is the complete lack of vision that some of our fans have, this is Everton FC and many people would want to manage this great club!
Jamie Crowley
77   Posted 15/12/2010 at 02:31:49

Clive @ 41 - Hilarious

God I miss tele-tubbies.

I need a noo noo as well, and I support him 100% for next Everton manager.

How many drugs do you think the creators of that show have taken?
Paul Holmes
78   Posted 15/12/2010 at 05:03:57

Glen Hoddle should be the next manager at Everton and here is why:?

1) Can attract top players ? got Ruud Gullit to sign for Chelsea (before Abramovich);

2) Had 60% win rate when manager of England ? only bettered by Sir Alf Ramsey;

3) Got unfashionable Swindon Town to the Premier League;

4) Has been praised by Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona and Michel Platini for his skill ? Dennis Bergkamp idolised him.

5) And last of all, Arsene Wenger said Hoddle was the most gifted player he had ever worked with ? follow that, Davey 'Negative' Moyes... and side-kick ? what have you ever done, Round???

Andrew Clare
79   Posted 15/12/2010 at 09:02:35

Dave#6
I agree with you but I think the rest of the football world puts us in the Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers etc bracket.
Matthew's list is full of mediocre managers.
A Spanish manager for me. La Liga is by far and away the best league in the world.Makes the Premier League look like a pub league. Watch Barcelona and you will find it difficult to watch our league of overpaid ordinary footballers.
I want the 'School of Science' back!
David Thomas
80   Posted 15/12/2010 at 09:22:22

Glen Hoddle??? Come on guys this is getting bloody stupid now.
Mark Murphy
81   Posted 15/12/2010 at 09:36:01

Guy #61

"That feller at Inter Milan will be looking for a job soon."

Yeah, and his missus has just moved back to the Wirral!

My choice would be Hoddle!

Holloway??? a 3 month wonder! No thanks!
Sean Smythe
82   Posted 15/12/2010 at 09:45:37

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Sean O'Driscoll?

Marcus 73 - you must've missed my earlier post.
Aidy Dews
83   Posted 15/12/2010 at 12:37:24

Anyone else see this on the sky sports website, its an interesting piece about who Blackburn should look for if there wanting British and there's a good bit about Moyes in the last bit, seems this bloke fancies him for the job.

Dennis Stevens
84   Posted 15/12/2010 at 13:05:46

On the other hand Aidy, on Betfair there aren't even any odds for Moyes to get the job.
Aidy Dews
85   Posted 15/12/2010 at 15:57:02

Really, that says a lot then considering Blackburn apparently want a British manager and Moyes is considered to be amongst the best.
Mark Smith
86   Posted 15/12/2010 at 16:28:25

Dave Jones
Gaute Lie
87   Posted 15/12/2010 at 19:31:15

Ståle Solbakken.

Norwegian, coaching FC København (Copenhagen). He's taking over the Norwegian National team in the summer of 2011, however, I think he would choose Premier League if an offer was made to him. He would have to be bought off from the Norwegian team, ca 3-4 hundred thousand pounds, I suppose.

He's young, offensive minded, and is successful. And he even knows the other side. He died on the field, his heart stopped. He was lucky, and came back (with help from doctors and a heart starter in his chest).

I think it would be nice having a coach who knows the other side, offensive in his thinking, good leader, sucessfull. Fluent in English as well.

And..he's not italian, French or Spanish. An advantage if you ask me..
Daniel Johnson
88   Posted 15/12/2010 at 20:18:49

Jesus Christ Slaven Billic? The Croatian was a fucking disgrace in the shirt and I don't want that money grabbing fuck nowhere near this club ever again.

As for Martin O'Neil he raised his middle finger to Villa and had a paddy as he had to sell and had no money to buy. So do you think he's gonna go for a club in a far worse position?

My two choices are:

Steve McLaren ? Yep the "Wolly with the brolly" but apart from the way the England mercenary spice boy twats stitched him up he's a great manager. Good with Middlesbrough and FC Twente plus he has slowly overcome his bad start in Germany. His reputation is repaired so he's worth a punt. He's used to modest budgets and his experience in Europe would have exposed him to things Moyes could only dream off and I'm not talking Bratwurst.

Owen Coyle ? Got Burnley promoted (no mean feat) and off to a good start, plus hes steadily transformed Bolton (from the Megson quagmire) into a ballsy team who goes for the throat. In fact Bolton under Megson actually resembles us right now.

Holloway, Hughton and Di Matteo resemble bigger risks but then again Moyes himself was a massive gamble.

Jason Lam