Worth paying to watch?

Just thought I would toss this into the ring ? yesterday the Daily Mail ran an article where they asked their panel of Premier League fans who would they pay to watch (other than their own team).

Brian Platt the Wigan fan chose us - I quote:

'It would have to be Everton. I have been to Goodison Park a few times. David Moyes has done a cracking job on a small budget and got them into Europe a few times. And don't forget the ex Wigan boy Leighton Baines.'

The Liverpool fan was interesting in that he starts off 'At the moment I'd rather not watch Liverpool.....'

Jeff Magee, United Kingdom     Posted 16/12/2010 at 13:32:21

Comments

Lee Courtliff
1   Posted 16/12/2010 at 16:56:13

I would pay very, very good money to watch Man Utd or Liverpool... if there was some way I could guarantee they got absolutely fuckin' humiliated!!!!! Don't care by who either.
Charles King
2   Posted 16/12/2010 at 16:56:13

The obvious would be Arsenal on a pure footballing agenda.

But in truth football is so tepid and overpriced I only see Everton a few times a year now.

I would'nt go at all if it was'nt in the blood, certainly would'nt pay to watch another club.
David S Shaw
3   Posted 16/12/2010 at 17:23:03

For entertainment end to end then Tottenham at the moment.
Tom Campbell
4   Posted 16/12/2010 at 17:30:59

Zzzzzzzz
Drew O'Neall
5   Posted 16/12/2010 at 19:06:47

You don't pay to be entertained, it's not the cinema or the opera and a few (the majority on here) would do well to remember that.

I don't care if Everton play like Stoke or Blackburn or Arsenal or Wimbledon as long as they win.

Being a supporter is about putting your own entertainment aside for the common good and so called 'fans' who say they won't come to the match to watch Moyes's sides or hoofball we could do without frankly.
Jimmy Hacking
6   Posted 16/12/2010 at 19:31:35

Drew #5

I do pay to be entertained. Im not a masochist. The likes of Kenwright must be thrilled that supporters like you exist, who would grimly follow the club all the way down to the Blue Square premier and beyond.

I don't mean that as an insult, I do respect your integrity. Its just that personally I want value for my £30.

regarding the original article, I believe that fans of the smaller premier league clubs DO respect Everton and what we have achieved in the last decade. but then that's just further evidence that we have drifted far, far away from "big club" status.
Mike Oates
7   Posted 16/12/2010 at 20:17:51

JImmy Hacking #6

Your quite right in your last paragraph. I live on the South Coast and not for the first time I was at a lad's do last night with about 20 other locals and we got on to view that football will implode due to the riduculous recent player (Roonye, Tevez) and board (Newcastle, Blacburn) demands . Without any coaxing someone raised Everton (he was a Southampton fan) as a club to admire with a good sensible board and a great manager - and about 10 or more others agreed with him, from Pompey, Villa, Stoke ...etc.

Best club to watch at the moment - and a lot agreed Spurs without a shadow of doubt. Redknap goes for it every game even though he's bankrupted a few clubs on the way.
Iain Love
8   Posted 16/12/2010 at 20:44:35

If I have no allegiance to either of the teams playing, I enjoy the lower leagues, laughing at the donkeys' mistakes and marvelling that that's where that old player ended up. Also wether that young lad could cut it in the Prem. Leeds last season where good to watch, Snodgrass and Becchio caught the eye.

In the Prem Spurs are exciting to watch and Blackpool always have a go. There were times last season, ie Citeh at Goodison, when we were great to watch and I am waiting till we have Arteta & Felliani fit and on form to see that standard again.

Dick Fearon
9   Posted 16/12/2010 at 21:23:23

If the meaning of entertainment means appreciation of a full range of skills it is Spurs for me. If it means to experience the full gamut of emotions only our very own Everton goes close.
Steve Pugh
10   Posted 16/12/2010 at 22:01:42

Northwich Vics - at least its passionate in the non league games.
Marcus Kendall
11   Posted 16/12/2010 at 22:50:32

I hate Arsenal and the media love-in with them... Wenger good for the English game? That's why he's regularly fielded teams without one Englishmen.

He cherry-picks other clubs' youth products and gets lauded for it. Say if foreign clubs cherry-picked our best talents at 17, like the Rooneys and Rodwells of this world, and we get nowt in compensation for it, we'd be annoyed and quite rightly so!

Oh and his hypocritical nature about tackling etc winds me up no end.
Drew O'Neall
12   Posted 16/12/2010 at 23:52:11

Jimmy, thanks for your response.

Are you therefore saying YOU wouldn't follow the team down to the Blue Sq Premier? I think most fans would.

Why not just go and support Man U or the RS if your priority is to be entertained?

Don't get me wrong, I hope to be entertained eventually when we've qualified for the Champions League ugly, been bought by a blue oligarch and mount our challenge for the title with billions for bunce...

But until then, while we don't have two pennies to rub together and changing our manager, formation, captain or Phil Neville, Leon Osman, Tony Hibbert or any of the other Toffeeweb hobby-horses, won't change that one Iota, the fact is all you can do to positively impact our predicament is to support the team or start the whip round.

James Stewart
13   Posted 17/12/2010 at 00:25:41

Porto. Andre Villas-Boas is a class manager and the kind of guy I want at our club!

Starting to get a lot of media attention though and is arguably already at a bigger club.

Liam Reilly
14   Posted 17/12/2010 at 09:16:28

First and foremost, the reason I support Everton is because I love the game of Football. I subscribe to all Sky Sports channels and if my missus allowed me to, I'd constantly have sport on in some form or another.

I make no apologies for regulalry watching the sky labelled 'big' games and will be watching Man U and Chelsa on Sunday, just as I watched Barca hammer Madrid a couple of weeks back. To be a football fan and refuse to watch other sides with fantastic players is just wrong IMO.

Chris Keightley
15   Posted 17/12/2010 at 11:59:14

Spurs no question; Bale in particular is as an exciting player as to have graced the Prem!
Josh Holmes
16   Posted 17/12/2010 at 12:54:32

Sea, Sea, Sea siders! Without a doubt it would be Blackpool! Incredible underdogs who play fantastic football given the small talent they have.