Christmas Fixture Prediction

I see in Mark Lawrenson's Prediction list that this week's celebrity host ? someone called Len Goodman ? has predicted a 1-0 win for Everton away to City... The fixture list over the festive season up to 5 January really is make or break. I see us taking 9 points from 15 which should take us much closer to the red filth going into the derby match in mid-January:

Man City ? draw
Brum ? win (surely)
West Ham ? win (mind you the script is wriiten with Avram Grant's ultimatum that he has to get one win from the next 3 matches ? we're the third match!)
Stoke ? draw
Spurs ? draw

Greetings of the season to you all.

Mike Hughes, Wirral     Posted 16/12/2010 at 22:37:26

Comments

Dave Wilson
1   Posted 17/12/2010 at 08:07:46

Despite shouts of negativity and mounting frustration amongst Evertonians, I will go by what I have seen with my own eyes: we have been the better side in most of our games.

We`ve tended to do well against City... and Spurs don't seem to be a force at all outside London. Sooner or later, somebody's will start putting the ball in the net, I'll be the first to stick my neck out...

I'll be disappointed with less than 12 points from that group of fixtures
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 17/12/2010 at 08:28:45

If anything it is near impossible to predict a win for Everton over the next 3 weeks or so.

I like your optimism though, you don't have us down for a defeat.
Tony J Williams
3   Posted 17/12/2010 at 09:01:55

We never seem to beat Brum, usuall a nervey draw with them.
Helikaon Bow
4   Posted 17/12/2010 at 09:59:13

Snow is shocking here!
Bren Connor
5   Posted 17/12/2010 at 10:03:06

The similarity with last season is uncanny. People have short memories.

Is this where we start winning like last season? The incredible thing is even though results have been rubbish this season we've still only lost 7 of our last 41 league matches. Only Utd have lost less.
Jimmy Hacking
6   Posted 17/12/2010 at 10:32:56

I fancy us to beat City at Eastlands on Monday, for the third season in a row. Don't wanna sound like Ray Winstone in those crappy adverts but at 4/1 with Coral its worth a punt.
Jimmy Hacking
7   Posted 17/12/2010 at 10:34:17

Oh, and anything less than six or seven points from the other four upcoming matches and I will be turning against Moyes.
Sam Morrison
8   Posted 17/12/2010 at 10:51:21

I'm not confident of any of these. The only thing going for us is we seem to perform best when key players are out and the odds against us... hardly a recipe for long-term success though.
Anthony Millington
9   Posted 17/12/2010 at 11:34:08

That's a very optimistic return. We'll do extremely well to beat West Ham away. That's a tough set of games going into the derby.

I remember a couple of months ago we had a very winnable set of games and we didn't win them and that's what's put us in this mess!

I'll be happy if we're not in the bottom 3 on Christmas Day!

Matthew Lovekin
10   Posted 17/12/2010 at 11:41:45

Evertonians are always the optimists!!!
Dick Fearon
11   Posted 17/12/2010 at 11:41:11

I can't resist the temptation to join this prediction game.

My first prediction is that Moyes will play 4-5-1. My second is, at the 80 minute mark he will swap a striker for another striker. For my third, Osman will play his usual role as the invisible man.

Gee, I never thought this prediction caper would be so easy.

Gavin Ramejkis
12   Posted 17/12/2010 at 11:55:42

Unlike last season we haven't got players coming back from injury to look forward to unless you count Osman and I can't see him scoring 20 goals and saving what's left of the season can you? The game and other teams have evolved DM hasn't, how many months did it take him to try Coleman on the wing? Maybe it's been that long and he'll realise he should try to go out and win a game instead of steal a win from set piece shite and the rest of the game defending with 11 men behind the halfway line.
Chris Keightley
13   Posted 17/12/2010 at 12:54:00

At what point do you say you're in a releagation battle, rather than, as half our squad have said, "we have played really well, optimistic we can turn this around" yawn... ???

WE ARE IN A RELEGATION BATTLE ? there, said it, people... deal with it.

The game against West Ham will not be to see us push toward top eight, it will be a massive 6 pointer that will have a bearing on who will go down!! Forget the optimism and grasp reality.

John Crook
14   Posted 17/12/2010 at 13:13:09

Mike

Brum ? win (surely)????

West Brom (home) ? win, surely??
Wigan (home) ? win, surely ??
Bolton (home) ? win, surely??
Blackpool (away) ? win, surely??

The answers to all those 'surely's was No ? which is why we are in a relegation battle. City away is normally a decent fixture to us as is West Ham away. I do agree with the moral of your article though ? 3 wins over these games is a must otherwise it's tenderhooks up till the very end.

I'm going to miss the Brum game on Boxing Day which will be the first home game I have missed all season. Let's hope my absence results in a decent home performance for the first time in a long time. To me, City away is now the most crucial game in a long time ? anything other than 3 points could have disastrous consequences going into the Xmas run of games.

Mike Hughes
15   Posted 17/12/2010 at 13:25:31

Anthony @ #7

We are West Ham's bogey - team - i.e. the team we've taken more points off than any other in the Prem era.

I know that doesn't count for much. I take your point about optimism but any less than 9 points and we really will be up shit creek I think. Then I fear it will be time for the RS chants of "Going Down" on 16 Jan.

Anthony Millington
16   Posted 17/12/2010 at 13:42:01

I'm just trying to be realistic, I can see us getting a draw but we've only won 1 away this season so it will be a very tough game. I hope that's not the case on 16 Jan, that's my birthday!
Gary Davis
17   Posted 17/12/2010 at 14:23:24

I think Moyes needs to play Vaughan against City. He is a good player when fit and they won't know what to do with him and he will want to prove a big point. Just need to start converting chances.
Nelaj Behajiha
18   Posted 17/12/2010 at 14:34:36

When will all of you understand that predicting Everton matches is impossible. If we play defensively at City and cautious we could hit them on the break.

I think that we need to play either the Yak or Beckford up front. I think Coleman whatever you say is getting tired and faitigued. I think we should go with Anichebe on the right. Against Birmingham we have to go for it playing Beckford and the Yak up front. I don't know what will happen at City but hopefully we get a result.

My advice to anyone who's expecting a victory out of any of our festive games, don't build your hopes up. West Ham won't be easy but perhaps more suited to the way we play and hopefully we can get a result their.

Stoke will be hard as whatever you say Stoke are a decent side and will cause us some serious problems, they deserved a draw at GP this year.

It's impossible to know what Spurs will turn up but with Defoe back we could have some problems.

Brian Waring
19   Posted 17/12/2010 at 16:47:38

Nelaj, a quick break for us takes about 10mins!
Jamie Crowley
20   Posted 18/12/2010 at 02:02:46

Screw this.... it's Christmas season:
Man City ? win
Brum ? win
West Ham ? win
Stoke ? win
Spurs ? win

15 points. 4-5-1 employed. Saha comes good and bags 7 in 5 games. Osman starts all 5 and shines. Heitinga starts CDM and is a brick wall and distributes beautifully, we score 5 on counters after opposition corners by putting someone up the pitch to control the inevitable hoof, and Howard has 5 clean sheets without bumbling one ball.

In the words of the immortal Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life:

Merry Christmas everyone!
Jamie Crowley
21   Posted 18/12/2010 at 02:18:05

BTW, Helikaon @4:

It was 75 degrees here in Florida today - enjoy your snow!