Members:   Log In Sign Up

Best Side 00-10

I come across this: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2010/12/15/vote-for-your-everton-fc-team-of-the-decade-2000-2010-100252-27824111/

My best side 00-10:

Ferguson
	         Cahill
Arteta	Carsley	 Gravesen Pienaar
Lescott  Jagielka  Weir(C) Watson
                      Martyn
Definitely the best side from this period in my opinion, 5 Walter Smith signings as well... interesting.

David Mathieson, Halton     Posted 17/12/2010 at 14:45:09

Comments

Gary Davis
1   Posted 17/12/2010 at 16:03:36

Neville
Baines
Lescott
Matterazzi
Pienaar
Arteta
Cahill
Gravesen
Bent
Rooney

The only one I am not sure of is Gravesen, he only had a good couple of months till he went to Real Madrid; swap him for Dacourt. And Bent was our striker when we had our best season.
Stephen Kenny
2   Posted 17/12/2010 at 16:25:44

Hibbert
Jagielka
Lescott
Baines
Dacourt
Arteta
Pienaar
Cahill
Ferguson
Jeffers
Andy Mack
3   Posted 17/12/2010 at 16:50:33

Surely Kevin Campbell has to be in the mix as well?
Chris Keightley

Nyarko
Rodrigo
Chadwick
Moore
Jeff Armstrong
10   Posted 17/12/2010 at 18:56:05

Paddy Gillen (#9), that lot would beat last Saturdays line-up, that's why it's so depressing at the moment..
Dave Lynch
11   Posted 17/12/2010 at 18:57:03

Martin @ 8.
The only one to put Gough in, you know your footy my son.
Andy Crooks
12   Posted 17/12/2010 at 19:13:43

Paddy, if only we had that team now.
Jay Harris
13   Posted 17/12/2010 at 19:10:23

Watson Gough Weir Baines
Donovan Fellaini Fernandes Pienaar
Ferguson Rooney
Nick Entwistle
14   Posted 17/12/2010 at 19:14:36

All have Martyn in goal, if you look past Paddy's post. He was right up their with Petr Cech in his pre-helmet days. Gough is deffo worth a shout... no Fernandes?
Paddy Gillen
15   Posted 17/12/2010 at 19:20:55

In all seriousness...

Jay @ 12, that looks the team to beat, not to sure about pace at the back mind, and I think a few weeks ago Arteta may have been included, no? I like the inclusion of Fernandes, would love to have him back, still annoys me that we didn't sign him.
Stephen Kenny
16   Posted 17/12/2010 at 19:26:31

I toyed with Gough, Campbell and Collin's who played in an abysmal midfield for most of his time with us. I also rated Matteo Ferrari. I couldn't remember when Gary Speed played for us but if it's in this period he's in. I didn't even consider the fat greedy kid.

Suprising how mny went for Weir considering he turned like the ferry.

Paddy,

How about this?

Gerrard
Barrett
Kroldrup
Wei Feng
Pistone
Marco van Pembo
Simon Davies
Linderoth
Kilbane
Madar
Ginola

Certain players have been left out cos I think we owe them for scoring against the RS or booting players I hate.
Andrew James
17   Posted 17/12/2010 at 20:00:51

Stephen - you can't have Gary Speed I'm afraid as he left in the Spring of 98. Three things strike me from looking at these:

Very few of you have included Stubbs. Surely he must be paired with Jagielka?

Richard Gough left in 2001. I'm not having that.

Are you Toffee Webbers so disdainful about Tony Hibbert that you are putting Steve "utility" Watson ahead of him? For me he gets in because he has played the most games in that position in the decade and was a real steady Eddie up until a couple of seasons ago. Give the guy a break!
Mike Hughes
18   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:00:10

Can't believe so many would include Rooney. Personally, I think his contribution to the Everton cause was mainly at youth / reserve level. I saw almost every home game he played in and he had flashes of brilliance but was mainly average at best in his last season for us. If this is based on performances for Everton in 00-10 as the title stated then I'm standing by my point that he contributed less than Kevin Campbell did for EFC. As a United player, he has developed further and is clearly a better player technically than Campbell - and probably most of the others in the 00-10 EFC teams.

Dave@10 - if only we'd had Richard Gough here when he was younger.
Gary Davis
19   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:17:52

Can't believe no one apart from me put Materazzi in ? what a defender ? World Cup winner.
Ian Bennett
20   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:20:03

Martyn Neville Baines Jags Lescott Dacourt Fernandes Arteta Cahill Campbell Rooney
Mike Hughes
21   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:28:32

Gary @ 18

I seem to recall he got sent off a lot while at EFC and he wasn't world class until well after he left us.

Decent player but lacked discipline.
Gary Davis
22   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:45:14

19# ? I remember that game he got sent off for nothing when Huckerby dived and did not even make contact.

Discipline (World Cup Winner)

You dont say discipline when you mention Zidane ? lol

Donovan
Cahill
Yakubu
Dave Smith
24   Posted 17/12/2010 at 21:43:53

Mike - #17.

I choose Rooney over Campbell because Campbell's best seasons for us was in a 4-4-2. My formation was 4-5-1, and just couldn't see anyone doing better as a lone striker. Admittedly, Rooney didn't do much, but he was the most gifted.
Mike Hughes
25   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:14:24

Dave ? fair enough... but you've got 5 midfielders.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Rooney (I think he took the piss out of us for a few games before he left and on that basis I'm leaving him out.)

At least you didn't have Saha as lone striker (as if)!!!

Noel Lynam
26   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:16:27

If we are allowed include Materazzi and Dacourt in a "Best Side 2000 - 2010" debate then I would go with:

Southall
Stevens Gough Lescott Baines
Dacourt Speed
Kanchelskis Cahill Limpar
WR Dean
Mike Hughes
27   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:19:38

Dave - strike my last comment about 5 midfielders - you're 4-5-1 I see.
Mike Hughes
28   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:20:52

Noel - Alan Ball? Tommy Lawton? Alex Young? Trevor Steven? Brian Labone? Kevin Ratcliffe?

If you know your history......
Jon Cox
29   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:27:05

Please, stop with the "X-Factor" Brainless rubbish. But don't forget it's what the gubbmint wants......
David McKitt
30   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:36:37

Why is there no Baines "tick box" in the left back option on the survey!?
Noel Lynam
31   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:36:35

All fine players, Mike, but alas didn't play into the 2000s. Dean had an almost telepathic understanding with Dacourt ? he lived off his through-balls...
David McKitt
32   Posted 17/12/2010 at 22:41:34

Pienaar in as right midfield? Not much choice for the left mid!
John Daley
33   Posted 18/12/2010 at 01:05:07

"Can't believe no one apart from me put Materazzi in! What a defender ? World Cup winner."

He never played for us in that period. He was only here the 98-99 season... and he was shit.
John Barnes
34   Posted 18/12/2010 at 10:11:32

Jesus, We've watched some crap haven't we? Carsley, Jagielka, Kilbane!!! Dear me. And if you can include Fernandes and Donovan, who played about 20 odd games between them then even I have under-estimated how grim it's been at times.
Sam Hoare
35   Posted 18/12/2010 at 10:53:00

If I could have players playing at their very best (ie, a team picked on talent with each player playing to their max), I think this team would be pretty unbeatable:

Watson Yobo Lescott Baines
Arteta Fellaini Gravesen Pienaar
Rooney Ferguson

Funnily enough, it's at RB where I think we have been weakest over the decade, with only really Watson, Neville and Hibbert to choose from.
David Hallwood
36   Posted 18/12/2010 at 12:27:07

John Barnes (#34), you stole my thunder;, it comes to something when the best Xl practically picks itself.
Lee Courtliff
37   Posted 18/12/2010 at 12:40:44

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about our best team since I started going to Goodison regularly (93-94 season). I went with: Southall, Baines, D Watson, Heitinga, Neville, Limpar, Arteta, Parkinson, Kanchelskis, Cahill, Ferguson!

I know a lot of you will disagree with Johhny H. but I was thinking of distribution from the back. "Pie Man" was more disciplined than Fellaini as the holding midfielder. Limpar and Kanchelskis go without saying. The problem might be that we just lump it upto Big Dunc like we so often did. In fact, if we could just add a prime Andrei, Anders and Duncan to what we have now, we would probably be top 4 for sure.

I put Neville in because of those much vaunted "leadership" skills! Although with "Waggy" in there to organise, maybe I should have picked Seamus "Ramos"? Subs would be: Martyn, Hinchcliffe, Jagielka, Pienaar, Stuart, Johnson, Rooney! Nice thought this...

James Stewart
38   Posted 18/12/2010 at 15:25:34

Coleman
Heitinga
Gough
Baines
Arteta
Fernandes
Cahill
Pienaar
Rooney
Yakubu

God, people have short memories... Carsley, Watson and the like making people's team. Dire Carsley had once decent season mainly due to Gravesen's form, then he was crap!
Brian Waring
39   Posted 18/12/2010 at 18:30:14

As mentioned, it's shows how bad things are, when Donovan and Manny are included.
Jason Lam