A bit more Boxing Day nostalgia.

26 December 1986:

A brilliant 4-0 away win at St James Park, Newcastle. Tricky Trev bagging two with Heath and Power the others. This is just a reminder to cheer up a few before the Boxing Day game against Birmingham City.

We won the league that season and were all so happy. Times have changed but we can dream of the past and remember the good times as much as the recent bad ones.

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope no one gets an Annie Lennox CD that will make you more miserable before the game on Boxing Day.
Dave Charles, Liverpool     Posted 19/12/2010 at 14:50:29

Comments

Kunal Desai
1   Posted 20/12/2010 at 09:21:14

26 Dec 2005 - Villa 4-0 Everton. Be cautious as results can be carried out with devastating effect. Merry Xmas to you to buddy.
Derek Thomas
2   Posted 20/12/2010 at 08:28:41

Just like Christmas Day used to be when people who don't 'usually' drink go for their once a year day at the local, well it gets you out of the house and by 12 o'clock you need a bit of a break from the over excited kids.

So, whilst the dinner is being cooked aka womens work, off we go, coz it's well, the only time you can talk to these once a year blokes who are'nt bad sorts, but their wives and in-laws... jeez.

Same on boxing day, Lots of people who only go once a year and / or support the rs to some degree or other, but it gets you out of the house. All this mind when you could still get a bus on Boxing day and decide late on you were going coz you could pay at the gate.

Although the family is split evenish blue and red we always seemed to go more to the Blues.

All these game fade now into one giant memory of ' this is what we do / did on Boxing day ' so the one that stands out is a later one, one of the few when we went to the red shite (as they nearly whad become by then) I think it was mid to late 70's and strangly enough, they were playing Man City, who if I remember had a local lad from Kirkby as one of their up and comers.

They snotted the RS who were abysmal, best laugh we had for ages, well worth the money.

Fast forward to now. The lads (lads? 35 and 37) were talking about Christmas, basically mounting a counter attack against the outlandish Christmas proposals of the Kiwi side of the family.

Well that's Christmas, I said, what do we do on Boxing Day, no sorry what DID we do in England on Boxing Day... ponderings... went to the match!. Well thats it I said, sorted, I'll get us some tickets to the Brisbane Roar game 6:15 pm KO

And so it continues, in a couple of years, the Grand Kids, with of course the Everton Strip Christmas pressie on, (pink for Zoe).
Alan Clarke
3   Posted 20/12/2010 at 10:42:44

More recently, the time we smashed Sunderland was a good Boxing Day.

I can't imagine anything like that against Birmingham this year. Two dour Scots sending their teams out not to lose hardly makes for a classic. I'll put a big bet on a nil-nil draw, at least I'd get some joy out of my winnings.
Paul Wharton
4   Posted 20/12/2010 at 11:15:28

Yes, I was at that Newcastle game, Trevor Steven had a fantastic match, scored two and outclassed the Barcodes by himself and fair play to the Geordies, they applauded us off the park.

I spoke with Trevor a couple of years ago about this match and he said that he wanted to put a show on as he watched his football there as a kid.

David S Shaw
5   Posted 20/12/2010 at 12:55:44

Did anyone go the New Years Day game of 86 against Newcastle the season before? I think we won 1-0 that may have been Steven again if I remember rightly?

Fixure list certainly wasn't thoughtful then for us was it!
Paul Gladwell
6   Posted 20/12/2010 at 12:59:22

I will never forget that day, it was the day I grew to depise them Geordie fuckers.
Four 17-year-olds getting chased by about 100 pricks some flashing blades at us far older than us and the policeman we asked for help told us to fuck off we should not have come up so early.

And now we see them bastards coming down filling your pubs with their wacky `we are like you` behaviour, well try going down their version of County Road singing Everton songs pissed up and see what happens.

Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 20/12/2010 at 13:39:32

Last time I went to St James', we were getting spat at and plastic bottles thrown at us and the stewards did fuck all. Then we scored and they piled in, throwing us out and trying to give us a helpful punch and kick on the way out. Fuck em, fuck their inbred fans, and especially fuck their coppers and stewards. Never been since.
John Scott
8   Posted 20/12/2010 at 14:04:29

Paul,

Trevor Steven is the most under-rated Everton player ever.

I was also lucky enough to meet him and he was a charming man who didn't mind me going on and on.
Stephen Lewis
9   Posted 20/12/2010 at 23:39:38

I went with my brother by car instead of getting the coach. Parked in the city centre - big mistake! Scariest return to car ever. I still remember bricks landing just behind me followed by my bro taking off like Usain Bolt.

Everton were top quality that day but we didn't hang around for a drink!
Colin Quinney
10   Posted 21/12/2010 at 00:00:37

Magic day, completely outclassed the magpies. I bumped into Philip Carter at a petrol station on the way home, congratulated him on the way he was running the club and got back home to have a few pints with the folks at our local.

Dave, thanks for bringing back great memories