Members:   Log In Sign Up

No Donovan it seems

Seems pretty certain actually.

"While I enjoyed my time at Everton last season and still appreciate all the support their fans have given me, I feel that it is important to continue to rest and recover this off-season as opposed to going on loan"

Thoughts?
Joey Brown, Los Angeles, CA, USA     Posted 21/12/2010 at 22:35:56

Comments

Tommy Royle
1   Posted 22/12/2010 at 00:11:08

For what it's worth it would have been the perfect boost if he'd have signed again. Oh well, at least we had 2 players who were like new signings last night. Ossie & Hibbo welcome to Everton!
Ben Jones
2   Posted 22/12/2010 at 00:24:19

Gutted actually but don't blame him at all. Playing for us, the MLS with all the travelling involved and the World Cup has to tire you out.

Can still tell he has a soft spot for Everton with this interview and all of the Twitter updates.

Good luck to him I say and will probably see him January 2012!
Garry Corgan
3   Posted 22/12/2010 at 01:04:51

Oh well, here I go again. I'm bound to get executed for this...

I'm actually quite disappointed. Given how much he's said in the past eight months or so and the supposed admiration he has for the club and the fans I would have thought he'd have jumped at the chance to come back.

Given that we're losing Cahill for something like five weeks, and we're not at our best at the moment, a little help from somebody like Donovan could have made all the difference.

I respect that he needs a break from football, but the MLS playoffs finished in November, and IIRC he didn't join us until the end of January this year which gives him more than two whole months off.

Again, I'm looking at this with my blue-tinted specs. I'm sure any of us would kill just to play one game at Goodison. It's a shame the pros don't see us the same way!
Jason Lam
4   Posted 22/12/2010 at 01:31:34

That's a 'Come and Grab Me' plea.

Chad Schofield
5   Posted 22/12/2010 at 03:52:29

I completely agree with Ben #2. It's a pity, but completely understandable. He put out as much of a 'come and get me' plea as anyone contracted elsewhere possibly can without irreparably damaging his relationship with Galaxy's supporters.

Good luck though, Landon!
Les Martin
6   Posted 22/12/2010 at 04:55:25

Maybe a blessing in disguise, the right birth needs a permanent solution not a continual temporary fix. However the transfer of Donovan on a permanent basis in the summer at the right price would solve the problem.
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 22/12/2010 at 07:51:47

Disappointed but can't hold it against him, after a good World Cup he came out with a blatant come and get me plea and we didn't. He's now decided on some chill out time.
James Cadwaladr
8   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:47:15

Gutted.
Paul O'Hanlon
9   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:05:38

I'll see your gutted and raise it.

Moyes needs to fund a permanent move for Donovan so he doesn't have to worry about being burned out when the MLS season starts.

We have sellable assets who don't fit into the current team such as Yobo, Heitenga, Yak, Vaughan and Blly.

Time to wheel and deal... not dither.
Colin Potter
10   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:11:09

There will quite a lot of fans gutted over Donovan, but let's face it, he is not the be-all and end-all of the solution. He is a good player, nothing outstanding; I like him, and would like him back, especially in our situation. The thing is, the right wing should have been sorted years ago, and it would have been, if we hadn't had a manager who dithers for Scotland.
David Hallwood
11   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:27:32

Disapointed, but he's been playing football non-stop for the last 3 years, and Cahill has got the same problem .But is it a come and get me bacause now is the time for him to show himself on the world stage.
James Cadwaladr
12   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:52:55

Two comments from Landon Donovan on Twitter in the last 10 minutes:

I appreciate all the messages. It wasn't easy because you all were so great to me in January. I hope they'll want me back in the future.

Also, I'll be doing an interview with evertonfc.com tomorrow.
Colin Malone
13   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:39:51

Feel sorry for Landon, Getting up at 5.30 am, doing a twelve hour shift all week for a pittance, oh sorry, thats us, the fans.
Go and get fucked Landon.

It goes to prove, what a PERSON and a player, we have in Tim Cahill, I,ll be up standing on he,s farewell match against the Brummies.
Charles King
14   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:24:45

Didn't Moyes drop him anyway?
Jamie Morgan
15   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:34:42

Have to admit i am gutted he is not coming back. While i am not quite in the "get fucked Landon" mindset, i am a bit suprised. He has had nearly 2 months off now.
I am sorry but how stressful is it being a professional footballer anyway? Not very when you considder the hours, wages and lack of holiday we the fans have to put up with.

I cant help but think he looks at the weather here right now and thinks "Fuck that"! while sitting in LA. (I think i would be the same)
I like the guy and wish we could find a way to get him properly.
Worryingly i think Moyes thought this was a banker and now has to really think about what to do. I am getting a bit worried now.
Tony J Williams
16   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:52:18

Ahhhhh poor ickle wickle Landon is tired. Never mind eh?

All he really offered was pace and willing to run until he nearly passed out or cramped up.....then again I wouldn't come to us if that was expected of me too!
David Booth
17   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:56:30

Poor little footballer.

Bless him: he's 'tired'.

Good riddance to a very average player.

More like Cahill is what we need.

Not disappointed at all. As one poster above had observed, Moyes had already dropped him anyway.

Nice for a while, but he got sussed - and maybe he knows it?
Jimmy Hacking
18   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:44:47

bloody pathetic excuse. tired my arse. He either wants to play for us or he doesn't, and we've been getting mixed signals since early summer.

that said though, there is undoubtedly more to this than can be publicly revealed, so perhaps Landon was being diplomatic with his reason for sitting by his Hollywood swimming pool for the next three months.
Guy Rogers
19   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:53:46

Colin, Tony, david & Jimmy get a life and respect the man's decision who are you to ridicule him...that guy has probably achieved more than the 4 of you in a 100 lifetimes....
Lee Courtliff
20   Posted 22/12/2010 at 14:28:00

Would we like it if one of our "star" players pissed off to play for another team during the close season? Would we fuck.

"Why the bloody hell is Moyes letting one of our most influential players leave for 2 months to play in another country for some team we know nothing about? Does he not remember how crippled with injuries we were not so long ago? And now he let's one of our lads go and risk fatigue/serious injury to help a team on the other side of the world!! Another example of Moyes's ineptitude. Moyes OUT!!!".

We can't have it both ways lads. The Galaxy is just as important to some people as Everton is to us. Maybe Landon feels he owes it to them to save himself?

Jimmy Hacking
21   Posted 22/12/2010 at 14:48:14

Guy #20 I stand corrected, fair point mate. Donovan's achievements are definitely on a par with Ghandi's or Brunel's or Winston Churchill's. in fact, he probably works harder than all three ever did combined and deserved his break. In fact, now I think about it, he might actually be the second coming of Christ. Though I don't remember anything in the Bible about Jesus getting hair implants.
Tony J Williams
22   Posted 22/12/2010 at 15:10:03

But Guy I can guarrantee you that I had worked more hours of my life than the tired footballer at this age.

It's a forum so I have every right to sound as pompous as I want, even if I am wrong or not
Ian McDowell
23   Posted 22/12/2010 at 15:19:30

Disappointing but thoroughly understandable. I think we missed our chance by not having the funds for a permanent deal after the world cup.
Brian Waring
24   Posted 22/12/2010 at 15:44:27

Thank fuck for that, don't think I could have handled another Donovan groupie love - in on here.

Ben Jones
25   Posted 22/12/2010 at 16:12:23

Too many people slagging off Donovan because he rejected us for sensible reasons.

Think about it... training every day, travelling other ends of the continent just to play a league game, the world cup and training with us for two months.

That's more than most players do and people on here counteract that by calling him an average player?! Are you serious?!

Get a grip!!
Tony J Williams
26   Posted 22/12/2010 at 16:42:51

Yeah imagine it Ben, two hours of training a day, massages and then into the Bentley to do what you want the rest of the day.

Flying around in first class must be fecking knackering mustn't it?
Andrew Conroy
27   Posted 22/12/2010 at 18:05:28

Fuck him. How old's the guy? 29? 30? If he had any real determination to prove himself at a decent level he'd have swum over here. His statement features the words of someone who knows he's peaked and the only way is down.

This time next year he'll be even closer to retirement, and would find it even harder to adjust to the pace of the Premier League.

I liked Donovan, he did his bit, but all he really did was highlight what we needed. He was never half what some Blues thought he was, who have conveniently forgotten that he had more than a couple of stinkers and went missing far too often.

I'll stick my neck out even further and say that the way he arse-kissed his way into everyone's affections, with all his 'love the fans' guff on Twitter, was what endeared him so much. It certainly wasn't that fucking sitter he missed at Spurs!
Brian Waring
28   Posted 22/12/2010 at 18:15:48

Now to be fair Tony, after those 2 hrs of training, looking at all that cash in his bank account, or going to play a few rounds of golf must be knackering.

I feel so sorry for him, and realise I should feel so humble, only having to work 8 - 9hrs a day, for a pittance.
Chris Leyland
29   Posted 22/12/2010 at 20:25:02

Brain 24 - it could be worse, we could have gone for a double loan signing of Donovan and Fernandes and then it would be a sex party on here
Thomas James
30   Posted 22/12/2010 at 20:45:23

In some ways, it is probably better a fond memory than a disappointing second fiddle. History does dictate.
John Daley
31   Posted 22/12/2010 at 20:39:55

"Thank fuck for that, don't think I could have handled another Donovan groupie love - in on here"

Agreed. Hopefully we can put the whole 'Donovan thing' to bed now. Sick of semi-deluded people saying how great he was in his loan spell, how much he loves Everton and how it was nailed on that he would be returning even though the player himself said it was unlikely a couple of months ago.

Last time he had the triple incentive of attaining peak fitness before the World Cup, proving to himself and others that he could actually cut it in Europe after previously flopping at Bayern Munich, and the opportunity to possibly secure a permanent move to the Premier League if he impressed. What's in it for him this time, apart from the chance to freeze his bollocks off whilst sporting a stars and stripes snood?
Mike Green
32   Posted 22/12/2010 at 21:44:37

Sounds like "been there, done that, going back again won't really do much more for my profile.... so.... for now, I'm out." to me.

"Besides I'm the USA's greatest ever player so dont want to get linked too strongly with a underachieving club, might kinda start making Brand Donovan look a bit bad no matter how much I might be able to pull them up... no matter how much they kinda love me those noisy little fellas - whoop!'

Which to be fair is his perogative.
Lee Courtliff
33   Posted 22/12/2010 at 22:13:46

Chris Leyland (#29) ? "Sex party" ? Ha ha. Very good mate. I did rate both of them actually. Still funny though.
Jamie Sweet
34   Posted 22/12/2010 at 21:58:08

I wonder if his attitude would have been different had we been sitting in the top three?!

Still a shame. A good, but not great player who would undoubtedly improve our squad.

What really pissed me off in the summer when we were linked with taking him permanently (Moyes said he would like it to happen) was that there was never a plan B.

By stating that we want him, is showing the manager knows we need a player of this type. Donovan isn't available. Go and find a fucking alternative then!
Michael Brien
35   Posted 23/12/2010 at 07:46:17

A shame that Donovan is not coming back this season on loan. I think some of the comments from the likes of Colin Malone & Co a bit harsh to say the least. I read that Stephen Ireland's situation at Villa is not good ? he doesn't want to uproot from about 150 miles ? we are expecting Donovan to move thousands of miles. Yes, for a short period of time... but it is still thousands of miles from home. If you would be prepared to do that then fine, be critical; if not, then shut the fuck up.

Also, he has has 2 years of quite intense football ? heard of the World Cup? Perhaps some of you could have an atlas ? big country that America isn't it... lots of travelling over long distances. Ever heard of jetlag?

He has been honest and open in why he isn't coming and I think that attitude should be respected. Don't put him in the category of "spoiled brat footballer" like Tevez because it is clear that he isn't.
Matthew Lovekin
36   Posted 23/12/2010 at 09:57:50

Disappointed but don't blame him as he hasn't had a rest for 2 years.

However, it could work out to our advantage. If he came back, he is probably jaded and end up fighting relegation/midtable. Therefore, he will still have very fond memories of Everton and could well come back on a permanent basis at a later date.

You never know, Donovan & Fernandes might sign in the summer, and pigs might fly!!!
Colin Malone
37   Posted 23/12/2010 at 10:12:14

Guy, I don't understand your reply.

Michael, playing in the Yankie League is not near the same as the Prem. That's why I look at Tim Cahill and all I see is PASSION, PASSION and more PASSION, just like them supporters who travel the length and breadth of the country and Europe in all kinds of weather to watch the Blues.

Tony J Williams
38   Posted 23/12/2010 at 13:49:19

Michael, I would have liked him back but spare me the "would you do it?" nonsense. If you paid me £60k a week I would gladly fly to anywhere you wanted me to, to play a little bit of togger.

Intense footy!!!!! Do me a favour! LA Galaxy didn't make their play offs did they? USA played what? 5 games? Yeah the man must be fecked alright, he has been in his off season for months now. Knackered, feck off!
James Stewart
39   Posted 23/12/2010 at 15:02:21

A shame, yes... but let's be honest, he is a good hard working player but by no means amazing. There are plenty others out there who could do just as good a job.
Anthony Hughes
40   Posted 23/12/2010 at 15:05:13

He hasn't had a rest for two years and he's knackered. What utter bollocks.
Ben Hunt
41   Posted 24/12/2010 at 17:34:04

Brilliant. Wish there more like him