No Jag for Xmas

I just read that Jags will be out until well into the New Year and with Heitinga injured, demotivated and/ or leaving, that leaves us with a big gap to fill. Should we blood young Duffy early or recall Joey or try another loan arranger?

My view is that Heitinga, even if fit, is no longer interested and therefore we need experienced cover, which Duffy hasn't got.

I would love to see some ambition from the club and go for Cahill of Bolton as he seems ripe for a move... but whether ambition can be matched by cash is another story.

Other than him, I can't think of many quality CBs that might fit our budget.

'Appy 'Arry has about 10 but they're all injured ? so no loan possibilities there. We could swap Yak for Upson and some cash but I don't think the two pimps would buy it.
Jay Harris, Liverpool     Posted 21/12/2010 at 23:03:52

Comments

Jason Lam
1   Posted 22/12/2010 at 03:49:45

We would probably use Hibbert.
Kirk McArdle
2   Posted 22/12/2010 at 03:55:32

Don't worry. Saha is guaranteed to have a game under Moyes so there you go. Saha alongside Distin. Problem solved!!

Seriously though, Wenger turned to Jags in the summer because Cahill was deemed too expensive for him. In my mind he will cost anyone £15M - £18M. Upson? Not for me, thanks. If we could strike a loan deal for Richard Dunne for 6 months then that would be a good bit of biz. Just tell him not to laugh and joke on a bus though!!

Jonny H.... I agree that it seems like he doesn't want to be here anymore. Another case of a player thinking he is bigger than the club. It all depends who wants him and at what price. Will we get more than the £6M we paid for him? I say yes ? but not double figures. Maybe a swap plus cash to a team in Italy or Germany. He has done Spain and it didn't really work for him. Not going to say this player or that player because I feel there are many teams that would want him if he was openly available.

Pleased that Moyes gave a striker berth to Big Vic the other night. Saha & Yakubu will surely be moved on in January or Summer so he must start looking to the future. Was the sending off a sign of naivety or just trying to impress too hard? Maybe a mixture of both, but he put a shift in that we haven't seen from any striker this season (Yak vs Shite excepted). Anyone know how bad Vaughan's injury is? Vic & Vaughan up front together. Been 5 years in the making that one. I do feel we have the strikers at the club already.

Anyone think the Vaughan loan to Crystal Palace was to give him game time before being integrated into the match squad or was it really to place him in the shop window??
Tony Rice
3   Posted 22/12/2010 at 04:40:22

Recall Yobo....
Scott Milne
4   Posted 22/12/2010 at 06:07:30

I read that Fergie wants to loan out Jonny Evans after his pretty poor form this season.

Reckon away from the spotlight & 75k+ crowds, he'd get the job done for us - he looked the part last season at least.

Failing that, Lescott on loan anyone?!...
Andy Mack
5   Posted 22/12/2010 at 06:43:34

Moyes to eat humble pie and recall Yobo from Fenerbahçe? Surely that makes the most sense, or is it superhibbo at CB for Christmas?
Gary Tan
6   Posted 22/12/2010 at 06:58:59

Guys, are you forgetting a certain Jack Rodwell. This will a good time to find out once and for all if he is a defender or midfielder. If DM still doesn't play him there, how is he going to learn?
Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 22/12/2010 at 07:43:09

It will be Hibbert, DM doesn't admit being wrong or if he does it takes at least three months. Nobody has mentioned Duffy.
Sam Hoare
8   Posted 22/12/2010 at 08:52:17

Rodwell looks too good in CM alongside Fella to move back yet.

I fear it will be hibbo or p Nev slotting in....which fills me with dread a little. Would much prefer to see Duffy given a little run of 4 or 5 games.
John Talbot
9   Posted 22/12/2010 at 08:54:59

Jonny Evans is garbage !!!
Guy Hastings
10   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:09:14

Has Moyes still got his player's registration? He'd scare the shit out of any snood-wearer, was rated by Arsenal and is more likely to score than Hibbo.
Gary Hegarty
11   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:16:25

As far as I'm aware we can't recall Yobo as the terms of a cross federation loan dictates he has to see out the full term of the loan. I'd look at Duffy or even Mustafi as it's their natural position.

The reality, however, is that if Heitinga is fit he should play and earn his money. Failing that, Hibbo in what would be his best position if he was taller. Same distribution as Jags, reads the game well defensively and quicker than you think.

No point with Lescott as left sided CB same as Distin. Eh....is Titus Bramble available???

Martin Faulkner
12   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:17:27

Call Fenerbache's bluff, 6m for Yobo or we recall him, they'll probably shit themselves and pay up, allowing us room to manouvere in the market, my understanding is that he's been a regular feature for them this season.

Play Heitinga if he can get fit, maybe Duffy or Hibbo until then. I wouldn't let Johnny go until the summer after starring for a 1/2 season back at his normal position.

No Johnny Evens Please, Macheda maybe.......

James Cadwaladr
13   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:48:21

You can't recall players off season long loans so Yobo won't be coming back.
Trevor Lynes
14   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:50:44

As I've said all season, we have a really threadbare squad... no kids pushing hard for places and no cover for left back if Baines gets injured. It looks very much like Hibbo standing in if Jags is out or Rodwell being used because of his heading ability and extra height.

In any case, we have very poor cover in lots of positions and as usual we will be scrambling to switch people about to make do and mend. It's brinkmanship every season at EFC.

Ellen West
15   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:52:51

Arteta is back on Boxing day, so Rodwell will be alongside Distin at CB.

(yeah, like I know what I'm talking about.)
Andrew Conroy
16   Posted 22/12/2010 at 09:55:01

Gary's right, Moyes will put Rodwell in there.

Jagielka's injury saves him from having to confront the Arteta issue too. On form we all know there is no fucking way that Arteta should be in the starting 11, but Rodwell having to cover at CB gives Moyes no choice.
Martin Faulkner
17   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:01:02

James,
Isn't the returning loanee ruling dependant on wether the loaning club have paid a fee for his year long loan? Used to be if it was a wages only deal then the loaning club could recall as they see fit however if we've received a £1M fee for him then the point is moot.
James Cadwaladr
18   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:16:53

Martin, from the Premier League Rule Book

A Player on long term loan may not be recalled except for a goalkeeper or where the Player
is to be transferred permanently by the Club holding his registered contract. A Player other
than a goalkeeper so recalled cannot be permitted to play for the Club holding his
registration after such recall until the end of the Season.

I think we should play Duffy, be bold and get some matches under his belt. Has anyone seen much of Mustafi?
Andrew Keatley
19   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:31:43

Christopher Samba is alleged to be handing in a transfer request at Blackburn today (according to Sky Sports News).

He probably wants guaranteed first team football though... and his bambi-on-ice tendencies might not be what we're looking for anyway.

Steven Taylor is no longer first choice at Newcastle and has been much touted for a move, although I personally am not a huge fan of his "I don't really believe in marking, more in standing in front of the goalkeeper and throwing myself hopefully in front of the ball" style of defending.

I'd

If we're as cash-strapped as we seem, and are looking for a player to cover one/two months rather than come into the club for a full contract, then I'd look at Jay DeMerit; Premier League experience, an International, right-footed (to complement Distin - as we know Moyes likes that combo) and having spent the last few months out of football looking for a club (having just signed up for MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps) he'd probably be up for the opportunity.

I'd love it if Moyes showed some faith in Duffy or Mustafi, but if they are not deemed ready then I can't see Mr Kenwright writing a cheque for more than £3 million for anyone.
Anthony Hughes
20   Posted 22/12/2010 at 10:48:24

Even though he's inexperienced i'd like to see Duffy given a go. If Moyes does bring a centre half in on loan what sort of message does that send out to the likes of Duffy and Mustafi?
Michael Upton
21   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:12:32

All this debate over lack of cover makes a bit of a mockery of claims from Moyes and others that this is the best ever squad, doesn't it?

Surely in this situation you have to pick the guy who played in the World Cup Final, regardless of his attitude?

You have a 25-man squad for a reason - there's no point casting around for replacements from elsewhere just because of one injury.
KPR Williams
22   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:16:08

When is Heitinga expected to be fit?

If not I can see him putting Neville in there with Hibbert at right back.
Blooding the youngsters at a time which will make or break our season?
I cant see it myself
Stephen Kenny
23   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:40:02

In what way has Heitinga acted un/disinterested?

The last I saw of him he was charging all over the pitch trying to stick tackles in as we got played off the park, while he was played out of position.

He was subbed so we didn't go down to 10 men. Foolhardy and naive given his experience, but hardly uninterested.

I like the guy and as a footballer he makes Jagielka look like a ball boy. If he isn't fit to play then it's time for one of the young lad's to step up, it's not like were playing Brazil.
Dave Southon
24   Posted 22/12/2010 at 11:52:58

James Cadwaladr , your reference from the Premier League rules in respect to loanee's only covers players loaned from one PL team to another, in this case it all depends on what agreement EFC and Fenerbache struck up.

Knowing us though, we probably let them have him for owt for a season and negated any recall opportunity.

Gotta love the Everton way....
Michael Brien
25   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:11:41

Richard Dunne on loan would make sense - I read today that he has become 4th choice at Villa and Houlier is considering a clearout of several players - if not in Jan then certainly by the end of the season. I reckon he would have the attitude of returning to prove a few people wrong.
James Cadwaladr
26   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:18:30

Dave, the only way a season long loanee can go back to his parent club is if the loaning club dont want him anymore and ask the parent club to take him back and the parent club does not have to accept.
Dave Southon
27   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:20:02

James, loans to foreign clubs work completely different.
The contract is struck up between the 2 clubs and some have many different stipulations.
I am a club scout by the way.
Charles King
28   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:28:04

Richard Dunne, Jonny Evans????
Take the Emerald Isle specs off lads they are garbage as is the other donkey Upson.

Heitinga every time.
Mike Gwyer
29   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:31:39

Jay.

" We could swap Yak for Upson and some cash but I don't think the two pimps would buy it."

The Yak's contract is up this coming June, along with Vaughan and Anichebe. The chances of swapping Yak for Upson are, IMO, zero (never mind them giving us some cash as well). IMO the Yak is almost worthless.

I can forsee a mass clear out regarding our front guys, well their contract situation points to that anyway, so I should imagine that Moyes may well be looking at strikers only.

Against Brum and WHU I should imagine Hibbo or even Rodwell sitting next to Distin. Stoke will be different as they have some big boys, that will be interesting to see who Moyes plays.

Tony J Williams
30   Posted 22/12/2010 at 12:38:19

I am siding with Ellen, it solves the problem of getting space for Arteta.

Jack to centre half along side Distin and Arteta into Jacks spot next to Fellaini....and hopefully in a more forward role than Fellaini.

Failing that Pip in the middle Tony in his right back place.
Ashley Walton
31   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:06:02

What about David Wheater from Middlesborough, he was cited as being a England regular before they got relegated - maybe available on the very cheap as his contract is up in the summer:

John Crook
32   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:00:44

I think Yobo is on a one-year loan with a view to buy ? so I don't think we can recall him.

If Heitinga can get fit for the West Ham game (I think Hibbert will be used as an emergency centre-half against Birmingham) then it could be his last chance at the club in his favourite position. Heitinga and Distin were like a rock this time a year ago and were the pairing in some our best performances of 09-10 ? including Aresnal away, City home, Chelsea home, United home.

Another strange thought I have had this morning: I saw the Everton ground staff on Sky Sports News trying to ge the pitch ready for Boxing Day... why not make no noteable effort on the pitch ? get the game called off ? and that buys us a bit more time in getting Heitinga fit.

I wouldn't mind Hibbert there for one game just not a run of games. And, as previously stated in the other articles, it looks like Duffy ain't going to be risked as yet.

John Keating
33   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:22:02

I think whatever we do we cannot use Heitinga.
There has been so much regarding his disatisfaction at Everton there must be something in the stories.
If you look back on the Lescott situation I think even Moyes now agrees that it was a huge mistake insisting he played.
Can a short term loan deal for whoever, with premier league experience, be any worse than using players, in whatever position, who don't have the heart in being here.
James Cadwaladr
34   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:34:32

Dave, I stand corrected then. Dont think well see him though.
Ernie Baywood
35   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:43:59

Fully expect to see Pip or Hibbo there... but would prefer to see Duffy given a go.

There's not much to lose this season. Might as well test this lad out. Long term it might turn out to be a fortunate injury.
Jimmy Hacking
36   Posted 22/12/2010 at 13:48:41

Tony Rice #3

I second that. problem solved, surely? provided he and Distin can stay uninjured for about 3 weeks.
Lee Courtliff
37   Posted 22/12/2010 at 14:40:37

I am one of those (few?) who think Heitinga should play every game at centre back, mainly due to his distribution? If he's injured then I want to see Rodwell there. I am not Jack's biggest fan but I think he would be able to bring the ball out of defence and add something to our counter-attacking play, which is pretty much non-existent. It's worth a go just so we know for sure what this lad can do.

Failing those two options, I thought Duffy looked pretty good last season. Better than Senderos anyway. I'd rather blood a youngster than play a loanee who is probably on the slide. Hence him being loaned out. There are not many quality loan options available, generally.

Jay Harris
38   Posted 22/12/2010 at 14:41:15

Some good points there.

I didnt know we cant recall Yobo and I certainly wouldnt want Rodwell back there.

I remember he played CB for us once and was a disaster.

Most people reckon experience is uppermost for CB's which is why Stubbsy and Weir got away with playing for so long but I feel the pace of the modern game requires a bit more mobility.

Kirk#2 good shout re Richard Dunne and Andrew #19 good shout re Mamba and Jay Demerritt.

On another note I wouldnt have Johnny Evans in Tranmere's back four let alone ours.

Watch this space.
Ian McDowell
39   Posted 22/12/2010 at 15:21:35

Hopefully Heitinga can come in and show us how good he really is in his proper position. Otherwise I think Neville will slot in there.

Looking to January I know we are skint but 3 players I would love to get in jan is Cahill from Bolton, n'zogbia from Wigan and wellbeck from man utd ( think he is on-loan at sunderland) who was excellent when he played against us for Sunderland.
Pat Whitmore
40   Posted 22/12/2010 at 18:11:50

If Heitinga's fit he must play. He is the best passer of the ball by far and doesn't hoof it out of defence at the first chance.

Also why is Moyes even bothering with Big Vic?? If the contract isn't good enough let him see out his days in the reserves. Beckford always looks willing and out of all our strikers Vic is surely the last one who should get near the starting 11!

3 points against Birmingham though is all I care about for now.

Jon Cox
41   Posted 22/12/2010 at 19:49:50

Jay, "or try another loan arranger"

Failing that Tonto might be up for it.

I know, shot at dawn.
Jay Harris
42   Posted 22/12/2010 at 22:14:32

Apart from City I dont think Tonto would have been any worse in most games Jon.
Matthew Lovekin
43   Posted 23/12/2010 at 09:51:53

I think Moyes has had enough of Yobo, Yak and Johnny H and they could all easily move on in Jan, possibly with Saha. I hope Rodwell doesn't get moved back as I don't ever see him as a centre-back. I think the only option is Duffy.

We can't afford anyone and I can't think of any decent loans. Maybe Curtis from Villa, but he is already on-loan to Leicester but available at a cut-price £2.5m, but is that more than we can afford?
Matthew Lovekin
44   Posted 23/12/2010 at 10:03:58

Pienaar out, Wheater in???
Ian McDowell
45   Posted 23/12/2010 at 10:09:43

Wheater from Boro would be a good choice.
James Stewart
46   Posted 23/12/2010 at 15:01:21

Heitinga.
Jamie Tulacz
47   Posted 23/12/2010 at 18:53:39

Davie Weir surely due a comeback- maybe even Richard Gough too...!

In all seriousness, looks to me that the Yak will be on the move, possibly also Vaughan, maybe even Saha, with new strikers a must. Pienaar, Bily and Heitinga could also well be out of the door. Not heard a lot about possible replacements... anyone know any rumours?