Members:   Log In Sign Up

Failure to agree new contracts, do we care?

I was just reading through the article about Victor Anichebe not agreeing new terms possibly leading to EFC losing him on a Bosman, and it got me thinking about the number of players that have spun this one on us.

For the most case, it hasn't been too bad as those who have left at the end of their contract or sold very close to recoup some money turned out to be rubbish at their next club.

The question i have is, do we believe that there has been a player lost who would have been worth agreeing to their terms?

I'll start the debate by saying that Don Hutchison was the only one keeping this club from relegation (and Scotland on the Radar) so I would have paid the extra he wanted.

Mitchell Wilton, Brisbane, Australia     Posted 26/12/2010 at 09:03:23

Comments

Lee Courtliff
1   Posted 26/12/2010 at 16:14:30

Good shout with Hutchison, he was a good player for us and bearing in mind he was captain he should have been paid accordingly.

I always thought Matteo Ferrari looked superb for us. I remember when he put Henry to shame in a sprint. I know he had injuries but I think we should have kept him.

I don't know if this counts because i can't quite remember why he left us? Was it him or his club we couldn't agree terms with? We definitely missed Carsley, would have given him another year or two, as a squad player.

Dave Charles
2   Posted 26/12/2010 at 18:17:33

Why they wouldn't pay Hutchison a bit more and still less than wasters like John Collins has always baffled me.

As for Carsley, I think he wanted to be nearer the Midlands for the sake of his family. He went with the blessings of every Evertonian for what he did for the club.
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 26/12/2010 at 22:14:48

I'm pretty sure we'd get some money for greedy arse even if he goes as we developed him in the youth academy. Losing players for fuck all or for buttons with no obvious replacements is poor business though...
Christine Foster
4   Posted 27/12/2010 at 01:58:47

Mitchell, I think I am more annoyed at the fact that we get into the situation where we end up letting players go for no money. Gosling, could have recouped a couple of million and I dare say Big Vic might even be the same.

Problem is the contract issues are left to fester and should be done from a year out or sold on. If they can't agree terms sell them. This is a business and letting you assets go for no money is a crime when we are having to settle for loan players.

Christine Foster
5   Posted 27/12/2010 at 02:02:30

BTW will it ever stop bloody raining in Brisbane..
Ian McDowell
6   Posted 27/12/2010 at 11:29:25

I agree with Christine, if we want to retain a player the negotiating should begin the summer prior to when the contract is up.

The Gosling fiasco showed how inept the club is when dealing with finances.
Jimmy Hacking
7   Posted 27/12/2010 at 11:17:44

I agree with Christine. This is one of those things I will never ever understand about big professional football teams: how on earth do we get into this ridiculous situation.

If a good player has, say, 18 months left on his contract, we should offer him a new one, in a deal that is fair and beneficial to the club; if he refuses, we should sell him.

By waiting another year for these dithering prima donnas to "sit down and have a look at the contract", we are handing even more power to them. It's embarrassing.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 27/12/2010 at 12:00:36

I agree Jimmy, contracts should have little flexibility in them for negotiations but quickly arrive at the "take it or leave it stage"; after that it's shop window o'clock.
Joe McParland
9   Posted 27/12/2010 at 17:18:03

I think part of the problem is that Vic was out with a long-term injury and the club wanted to make sure he regained some sort of fitness before offering him a new deal. If he had been fit 6 months earlier, I have a feeling we would not have been in this position as, if he hadn't accepted the deal, he would have been sold.

I also believe, as we brought him through the youth system, if he doesn't re-sign then we would still be due a fee from any new club as we have made him a written improved offer. This was where we went wrong with Gosling. Nothing was in writing.

Andy Crooks
10   Posted 27/12/2010 at 19:37:19

Contracts in football seem to differ from those in the real word. I'm feeling quite cynical at the moment. Premier league footballers are with a few exceptions money grabbing treacherous low life. At Everton we have our fair share. To see Pienaar in this current climate grubbing over money just makes me want to find something else to do.
Richard Harris
11   Posted 30/12/2010 at 03:03:22

I have no problem with agents trying to renegotiate a contract to raise a player's wages if they are integral to the team, improve their quality since the original contract was signed or are playing more regularly than at the start but a player should also be paid less when they fail to achieve the standards that they were signed for or are playing less. Funny how agents never get involved in a contract renegotiation when a player is in bad form....