Members:   Log In Sign Up

Speculative team selection

The Hammers away tomorrow and much speculation over team selection to start. With Jags, Heitinga and Pienaar unclear and no squad posted on Pravda as yet, it is almost impossible to call. My best bet at the moment is:

Howard, Neville, Hibbert, Distin, Baines, Osman, Fellaini, Cahill, Rodwell, Arteta, Saha.

Of course not being with the players and knowing the state of fitness among them can make mockery of any speculation so I suppose we will have to await the club text, hope the manager gets it right, grab the points and get home.

UP THE BLUES
Ken Buckley, Buckley     Posted 27/12/2010 at 16:47:23

Comments

Al Reddish
1   Posted 27/12/2010 at 19:47:30

I dont usually do this but hey in for a penny...

Howard
Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Arteta Rodwell Fellaini Osman
Cahill
Saha

That would be my guess for tomorrow; Pienaar and Heitinga on the bench.

Brian Waring
2   Posted 27/12/2010 at 19:54:10

I don't reckon Arteta will start, Ken... I can see Coleman on the right.
Dave Wilson
3   Posted 27/12/2010 at 20:06:31

Of course availability can make a mockery out of team-predicting but you are prepared to put your head on the block. I like your style, Mr Buckley.

If you are right, I will be happy to cheer that team on.
Terry Hayes
4   Posted 27/12/2010 at 20:08:46

Why Saha? Are Beckford and Yakubu injured?

Did anyone listen to Ray Wilkins on Sky the other night? He was saying how much he likes Everton and if anyone is in a false position, it is us. He also said it will be very tough for the Hammers as Everton will be coming down to London for the three points and nothing less.

I've never really given much thought to Wilkins either way but I will from now on, why? ... cos he likes us ... and now I like him. I like Al's selection as I think Ossie deserves a start but not Saha please.

Fran Mitchell

I'd go with

Howard
Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Rodwell Fellaini Pienaar
Arteta
Cahill

Time to push Arteta further up and see what he can do ? or even IF he can still do it.

Martin Faulkner
7   Posted 27/12/2010 at 23:39:59

Howard
Neville Heitinga Distin Baines
Coleman Rodwell Fellaini Pienaar
Arteta
Cahill

Subs:
Billy, Saha, Beckford, Hibbert, Mucha, Yakubu, Gueye.
John Staines
8   Posted 28/12/2010 at 08:56:07

Shane Duffy was in the line up for the game against Birmingham.... he was as gutted as me (from my source ;-) ) when he got to the ground only to be told it was postponed.
Sega Kana
9   Posted 28/12/2010 at 09:17:14

Colin #6. I like that formation. It's time to push Arteta further up and bench all our strikers. Let's use Cahill as much as possible to get the goals before he's off to the Asian Cup. We need a 6-match winning streak to be up there and it's not impossible. COYB!!
Norman Merrill
10   Posted 28/12/2010 at 10:24:46

Unlike some of the team pickers on here, I think Coleman will start tonight. West Ham are there for the taking, as long as we go at them.

We seem to enjoy playing down there, just hope we show the better side of the Jekyll & Hyde complex we have been showing lately. And finish off what we started at City.

Anthony Jaras
11   Posted 28/12/2010 at 10:51:05

Why wouldn't Coleman be playing? He played well against City and defended too after making Cahill's goal.

Hopefully Jags is fit enough to start and we can shape up like this:

Howard
Neville Jags Distin Baines
Coleman Rodwell Fellaini Pienaar
Cahill
Saha

Although I would prefer Yakubu up front, I can't see it and Saha looked up for it against City, holding the ball up and winning headers.

Arteta shouldn't really start, he hasn't done enough to displace any of those who played against City. Pienaar is in simply because of his link-up with Baines. Osman dropping to the bench.

That's my team anyway.
James Martin
12   Posted 28/12/2010 at 11:59:11

No way Arteta will start on the wing, I don't think. If Arteta starts, I think Moyes will put him holding with Fellaini and push Rodwell behind Cahill as the lone striker (hopefully), or perhaps put Arteta behind Cahill.

Either way I'd rather see some experimentation with players in the attacking midfield role before Cahill leaves, and neither Fellaini nor Rodwell deserve to be dropped on their recent perfromances.

Unfortunately I see Rodwell getting benched for Arteta and Coleman for Osman on the right wing where Osman is wasted.

Paul Rimmer
13   Posted 28/12/2010 at 13:43:24

If I was picking the team.....!

Howard
Coleman Jags (if not fit, Heitinga) Distin Baines.
Arteta Rodwell Fellaini Pienaar
Osman
Cahill

I think Moyes will play the same starting 11 as at City with Saha in for Anichebe, with options on the bench if things aren't going well.

Viv Sharma
14   Posted 28/12/2010 at 15:53:01

the rodders felli combo in the middle is really effective and they thrive of both each other and actually playing in their correct positions.
Add this to the fact that Arteta has been way off for of late and...
yup...
Rodders benched, Arteta holding with Felli pushed up filed.
Betcha
Viv Sharma
15   Posted 28/12/2010 at 15:53:01

Add this to the fact that Arteta has been way off for of late and...
yup...
Rodders benched, Arteta holding with Felli pushed up filed.
Betcha
Tom Bowers
16   Posted 28/12/2010 at 19:32:34

Well Moyes fooled everyone except for the ridiculous picking of Hibbert in the middle which backfired again as we know how reckless he can be.Another 2 points thrown away against a struggling team.When will it end?
If Yaks,Saha and Beckford are not even good enough to play against West Ham of all teams then they must be considered usless and be sold next week. Moyes didn't even have the confidence to play more than one striker against this pathetic bunch and that in itself convinces me he will never make anything of this club and should resign.