Members:   Log In Sign Up

Macheda?

Just seen on the BBC sport website that Sir Alex Ferguson wants Macheda to go out on loan for the rest of the season.

Two questions:

(1) Do you think he is with a punt considering our current striker/financial situation

(2) Do you think Moyes's special relationship with Ferguson will come into play here?

Michael Cloherty, London     Posted 31/12/2010 at 12:46:32

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
1   Posted 31/12/2010 at 15:32:29

Okay, so I don't really like threads about players that have not at least been linked to Everton already, but I'll make this the exception as the transfer window does open tomorrow.

However, we are talking about the real Everton Football Club ? not some virtual reality in a computer game. Bear in mind that (a) Everton have little or no money, even to pay for loan players; (b) Moyes has said he doesn't expect to be busy; (c) he must have already assembled some sort of a list of potential loanees they are working through, and (d) someone from the club reading your suggestions and saying "Yeah, why didn't we think of him???" ? doesn't happen.
David Hallwood
2   Posted 31/12/2010 at 15:30:31

To my mind, Macheda is similar to Beckford in that he looks like a player that cannot play as a lone forward, and that's the system we're stuck with...
Tony Hale
3   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:21:11

Not a chance. Moyes would probably play him in goal anyway!
Ray Robinson
4   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:22:24

If Moyes ever got the sack, Ferguson would pull the plug on the loan anyway. Disgraceful what's gone on at Preston.
Gavin Ramejkis
5   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:36:48

Macheda has already expressed an interest in playing in Italy, why on earth would he come to us?
Brian Waring
6   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:43:39

I read about Macheda this morning, and my first thought was, please god, no. I just have this funny feeling he may be linked with us.

The other thing though, I would imagine, if Ferguson said to Macheda, "Look lad, your going to Everton on loan," Macheda would be on his hands and knees, pleading with Ferguson "Mama Mia, no, no, no, they will fuck me up, like they do to all their strikers, I will probably get played at centre-half, you cannot do this to me, Sir Alex" ? Only with an Italian twang...
Mark Pierpoint
7   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:53:34

There were mumblings of this in some Sunday tabloid a bit ago, like Brian I saw the headline and wondered when an article like this would come up.

In reality, would I want him? Not really. If by some chance we managed to rid ourselves of both Yakubu and Saha and it was the last day of the window, maybe, but realistically on our budget we will be looking for a solid, dependable if unspectacular striker.
Ian McDowell
8   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:56:30

I certainly think he is worth considering. I do think Vaughan should be given another chance though.
Brian Waring
9   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:02:18

That's the thing Ian, it wouldn't make sense getting another young lad in, who is not getting a look ? in at his club, when he is no different to Vaughan.
Tony Waring
10   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:31:27

Vaughan has to be worth trying. He seems to be injury-free, fit, and has scored a few Championship goals, plus Palace cannot afford to buy him according to the media. He can't be any worse than the present incumbents and actually I would love to see both him and Beckford flying at defences.
Jay Harris
11   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:36:41

Stoke would be just the game to let Vaughany loose but don't expect it anytime soon.

Maybe Arteta can go up for corners instead of taking them as he seems to be being touted as our next great goalscoring hope.
Charles King
12   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:11:53

Pointless, the bench is full.
Chris Matheson
13   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:17:51

Michael, I would have him on the grounds that surely anything has got to be better than what we have at the moment.

But the real problem is our style of play. Slow build-up, always in the air, always sideways, no incision, always out to the wings, always a cross in.

Never direct, on the ground, through the middle, into space for someone to run on to, never anyway (bar Shameless Coleman really) willing to take players on.

Pretty passing to feet but just no incision. It looks good until you analyse where it gets us.

Macheda may be a striker of real promise but he would flounder in our team the way we play at the moment.

I hate to say this, but we are a boring team to watch at the moment.

Oh, also, Kenwright out.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 31/12/2010 at 21:03:36

I'm sure I heard the other day that Marcus Bent has been released, wouldn't surprise me as a more likely loan or pay as you play than anyone remotely useful
Gary Hegarty
15   Posted 31/12/2010 at 21:32:20

Watching an interview with Wenger earlier he said that he would like Carlos Vela to go out on loan. Having seen him he is a natural finisher and has flair. Think he would be a good option.

On a different note, does anyone know why Victor is suspended for more than one game for two yellows? I thought longer bans were for straight reds or is this a new one for us?

Kevin Tully
16   Posted 04/01/2011 at 03:10:12

I believe Peter Crouch would be a good signing for us at this present moment in time.

He would give us an extra dimension in the box; apart from Timmy, we are crap in the air. At a cost of £7-10 million raised by the sale of Jonny H and Pienaar, he could be available.

I am sure Abi wouldn't mind coming back home, well that's what she told me this morning!

Ian Tod
17   Posted 05/01/2011 at 02:42:43

Miroslav Klose ? This guy's out of contract in the summer, surely worth a try, proven goalscorer at the highest level. 32 now but he will score goals and that's exactly what we need, sort it out Blues!