Spelling Lesson No 1

For some time now, I have been irritated by the frequent spelling mistakes on this site and decided to try and help my fellow Evertonians as the old year drags its strikerless self to oblivion.

Today's word is m-a-n-A-g-e-r

Please note the presence of the second letter A. Quite often forgotten. Here are two examples to help those who aren't sure which word they want.

1 David Moyes was not born a manAger.
2 David Moyes was not born in a manger (That was the Messiah not the Moyesiah).

Hope this helps and a Happy New Year to you all!

Joe Brennan, North Wales     Posted 31/12/2010 at 14:34:53

Comments

Alan Rooney
1   Posted 31/12/2010 at 15:40:05

Could we extend this discussion about club managers to c O u n t r y managers?
Simon Jenkins
2   Posted 31/12/2010 at 15:57:21

The name of the person ultimately to blame is often misspelt on here. His surname begins with a K, not an M.
Shaun Brennan
3   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:00:48

Who put the cunt in Scunthorpe?
Michael Kenrick
4   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:14:15

Eh... wot?

No shit... turns out you're right, Simon.

Amongst submitted comments on here this season alone, there are an incredible 40 occurrences where 'manager' is misspelt 'manger' ? and no less than TEN of those comments are penned by the Editor!!!

Astounding, shameful, atrocious, disgraceful, inconceivable!

KENRICK OUT!!!
David Hallwood
5   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:33:08

Let him who is without typo, cast the first stone.
Terry Hayes
6   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:36:50

I was going to say "what a load of bolliks" but I won't because I can't spell it.
Mike Hughes
7   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:35:43

Despite the not uncommon spelling mistakes seen on here (once I had to rush to the toilet to throw-up having seen the word, "loosers" written twice in the same article), I have learned about composites on this site in 2010.

For example, "Dickhead" is written in that way and not hyphenated and there are many other examples.

The educational side of TW is often ignored, therefore, I sincerely wish to thank the editors for the stance taken with respect to grammatical standards.

May I also suggest that responses of a constructive / pleasant nature such as this one receive a prize in the post early in the New Year? Nothing too flash. A Parker pen would be nice.
Lee Courtliff
8   Posted 31/12/2010 at 16:52:55

The one I always notice is "loose" instead of "lose"! Schoolboy error. Like putting square pegs in round holes!!!
Mike Hughes
9   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:01:05

As this is not the busiest thread, I'll post my rant on here.

Why can't anyone say a word against those whinging gobshites across the park? All Hodgson said was the truth and now he's having to grovel. All the UEFA bloke said was the truth (worst fans in Europe) and he had to resign.

Precious, whining, gobshites. I really hope they get relegated. Shell-suited, skidmark-stained, moustachioued twats.
John House
10   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:22:13

I thought this was a site about football. And why is this a main thread?? Get a fucking grip!
Tony Waring
11   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:26:29

Of instead of have!
Tony Waring
12   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:27:59

Chill out, John, #9. Of course it's about football but actually there's precious little of it in evidence anywhere in the vicinity of GP; maybe that explains this thread!
Alan Clarke
13   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:36:19

Perhaps someone could tell Moyes how to spell 'attack' and also supply the meaning as well.
Jon Cox
14   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:41:17

But the winner has to be 'their' and 'there' ? "the team played in THERE first team colours"

Don't get me started on "our" and "are"

Brilliant at last I got it off my chist, innit.
Matthew Salem
15   Posted 31/12/2010 at 17:53:23

Oh you waight 'enry 'iggins, just you waight...
Jon Cox
16   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:07:44

Matthew, is that your "Lot"
Richard O'Shea
17   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:15:05

This is a bit off topic, why is Anichebe banned for 3 games? I thought 2 yellow cards meant only 1 game ban.
Jon Cox
18   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:19:21

Rich, it was down to DM. He saw the error of his ways and phoned up FA, R US and asked them to drop, sorry suspend him for three instead of one thereby getting him out of a pickle.

HNY
Chris Matheson
19   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:31:27

Dear dear me. Oh... Go on then, if everyone else is.

Disinterested = impartial.

If you mean someone is showing a lack of interest, the correct word is "uninterested"
Brian Denton
20   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:44:24

Actually, Chris (#18) it would be a bit harsh to criticise fellow Toffeewebers for that particular solecism; I have seen it frequently made in newspapers, and even on the BBC. I suspect it is a lost cause, similar to the use of 'impact' as a verb ("This impacted the situation in many ways") or interchanging inferred and implied.

Anyway, I think the best post on this thread is Mike Hughes #8.

Happy New Year to all Blues, wherever you may be. Even Blue Kipper.....
Brian Hill
21   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:39:21

Lee @ 7. I have also noticed the lose/loose horror and wonder if the perpetrators of this spelling crime are South African. This is a very common error here, even appearing in newspapers and SA websites with shocking regularity. If so, then no doubt South Africans could exact revenge by highlighting the embarrassing frequency with which the name Pienaar is butchered on this site. Now, does pedantic have one or two "d"s?..........
Brian Hill
22   Posted 31/12/2010 at 18:55:27

Mike @ 8. Which came first, the kopite or the gobshite? Did gobshites exist on Earth before the evil year 1892? If so, what did they do all day - plan the formation of a sporting team to be supported by "Shell-suited, skidmark-stained, moustachioued twats."? I think you are on to something - Mr Kenrick, this deserves a thread of its own.
Phil Bellis
23   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:07:44

Tony, I'm with you, mate. I would of thought that those who of had a decent education should of known better. Sadly, this is indicative have how poor standards have English of dipped.
Jon Cox
24   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:11:09

I prefere maths myself. Because it either is, or it's not. The beauty of.

First person who quotes quantum physics gets sent to Anfield.
Charles King
25   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:21:23

Jon,

Is quantum mechanics okay?

I'll get me coat...
Matthew Salem
26   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:20:36

As riveting a read this thread is, I am taking a lot more enjoyment from reading the RAWK threads this week. Nothing like disillusioned Kopites to start a good 2011. FTRS!
Charles King
27   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:27:11

Matthew,

I peruse other clubs' sites, what I find amazing is the consistency of supporters' moans and how their picture deviates from the media spin. O'Neill at Villa was an eye-opener, much like Moyes ? feted in the press slagged off on the forums.
Matthew Salem
28   Posted 31/12/2010 at 19:37:54

Charles,

I don't go on other fan sites very often, hardly ever in fact. But I imagine what you are saying is true. I do find it sad but hardly surprising.
Jon Cox
29   Posted 31/12/2010 at 20:43:37

Charles, dont worry because quantum starbucks is the NWO. Moyes is tapping into this with every cup of.
Sheilah Blueitt
30   Posted 31/12/2010 at 20:59:14

Mike Hughes (#8)

Love it!
Gavin Ramejkis
31   Posted 31/12/2010 at 21:44:39

My real teeth grinding inducers are

Moyles - isn't he a Radio 1 DJ?
and FACT - even putting it in capital letters doesn't make it sound any less patronising

I've posted some grammatical and spelling howlers but they are usually as a result of temper typing than deliberate.
Gavin Ramejkis
32   Posted 31/12/2010 at 21:50:31

Done it again ? missed "mistakes" from the end of my post!
Steven Pendleton
33   Posted 31/12/2010 at 22:39:26

Can't weight for spilling leson number to!! Knot!!!!!!!!!!!
John Daley
34   Posted 01/01/2011 at 03:49:48

My personal pet hates ( not spelling mistakes, not specific to Toffeeweb, just me being a moaning git):

IMWT, WTF, LOL, OMG, :) and :( and all that shit. Then you've got people who proclaim 'FIRST!' because they, erm, post first. This offence is usually compounded by some wit immediately posting 'SECOND!' and someone slap worthy then posting 'THIRD!' followed by me posting 'FUCK OFF'.

People who think starting a sentence with "No offence but.." then gives them license to say something offensive without fear of reprisal.

People who start a sentence "With respect.." and then go on to show a total lack of. I find the best response is to reply "With slightly less respect..".

Kevin Ratcliffe attempting to pronounce Jagielka.

People over 30 who say "cool".

Anyone who likes 'Twilight'.

Fat girls in leggings.

Mark Lawrenson.

Sorry, I've gone totally off subject now. The sad thing is I could go on for hours.

Ray Roche
35   Posted 01/01/2011 at 10:55:25

John Daley @34.

Tattoos that appear to have been done in prison with a biro and a pin, usually on a 12-year-old mother pushing a pram. Trainers worn with trousers, not jeans. Shoes worn with shell-suits. Gobshites like that prick of a DJ who thinks he's a black rapper from the 'hood, you know, the dick-head who presents that shite programme about cars.

Sad, middle-aged men walking around town wearing RS replica shirts who have never been to a match. Fuckin' Norwegians.

Richard Harris
36   Posted 01/01/2011 at 17:37:02

Well I wish that Moyes was away in a manger rather than our manager....
Richard Harris
37   Posted 01/01/2011 at 17:38:31

Maybe Moyes should learn the next letter of the alphabet so that he could have a Plan B....
Stephen Graham
38   Posted 01/01/2011 at 17:58:23

Talk of quantum physics makes me think of the EFC uncertainty principle ? can't keep possession AND get the round ball into the square (sort of) goal at the same time.
Danny Burke
39   Posted 01/01/2011 at 20:04:04

Not a gramatical error Ive seen on here but I often overhear people say "Why are you doing that for?" It doesn't even make fucking sense!

The Moyles/Moyes mistake annoys me and makes me wonder how people after 9 years still get it wrong!
Andy Amey