Yak gone?

Yakubu didn't even make the bench today. Is he being punished for a half time chat with Avram Grant the cameras caught on the touch line versus West Ham or for saying he'd rather be playing than on the bench?

Bottom line is that that he was dropped after scoring the winner against Stoke in October just as he was getting a run together and showing a good understanding with Cahill. Since Moyes decided to change the team that had done well in October for the Bolton game then we've taken 8 points from 30.

I feel sorry for the Yak to be honest because Saha always gets the nod and has been shocking since he scored the 2 against Chelsea last Febuary.
Steve Jones, Lancashire     Posted 01/01/2011 at 18:42:53

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
1   Posted 01/01/2011 at 21:42:18

"...he was dropped after scoring the winner against Stoke in October just as he was getting a run together"

That decision mystified me, to be honest, and I'd assumed there was some personal issue going on there because it made no sense.

Now the only action he gets in a month is as a second-half sub at West Ham? Am I being too cynical to be suspicious about that?!
Andy Mack
2   Posted 01/01/2011 at 21:43:54

Think he might be gone, and you can't really blame him. Once Moyes get the hump with a player there doesn't seem to be any way back.
Nathan O'Hagan
3   Posted 01/01/2011 at 21:47:18

Yak was awesome against Liverpool, bullied the shit out of their defence. He scored a good goal against Stoke. I don't see why he's not featured. I'd rather see Saha go and Yak stay, but it seems his days are numbered.

Whatever the reason, if that is the case, I just hope we get decent money for him to put towards a quality replacement. If we sell him and another striker, plus Yobo and maybe Heitinga, we could maybe afford someone who can get us 15-20 goals a season.

Ian McDowell
4   Posted 01/01/2011 at 21:49:27

It certainly looks like he is on his way. I just hope we get a few million for him and can use that to maybe get Donovan on a permanent deal.
Daniel Johnson
5   Posted 01/01/2011 at 21:53:58

Yak was awesome against Liverpool and is our best striker; we have got him 90% fit and then don't play him. Why?

Yet Saha can do no wrong. Yakubu, fit and motivated, is a class act ? we need him now; Moyes should be playing him.
Andy Hegan
6   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:00:19

Well done, Moyes ? sell our only striker worthy of the name.
Brian Waring
7   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:00:37

Tell you what, if he does go to West Ham for between £3 - 5m, they will be getting him for a bargain.
Christopher McCullough
8   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:04:14

I think you are right to be cynical, suspicious and mystified, Lyndon. Accept and make the best of this disposition, in good humour. It's the only way to gain any understanding of EFC without collapsing into a pattern of delusional behaviour. Good luck.
Tony Doran
9   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:05:11

Overall, since he's been here, he's not been consistent enough. Players with a lot less quality have served us better by at least giving 100% ? Bent is a prime example. Truth is, he's a lazy twat.
Daniel Johnson
10   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:20:29

A lazy twat that scores goals.

I'd rather have him being lazy around the box than chasing lost causes to the corner flag upfront on his own.

As a player, Moyes has tried to change Yak; the truth is, you can't do that with some players.

Why marry a glamour model and then want her to dress like a librarian?

Yak is what he is and he scores goals.
Nathan O'Hagan
11   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:21:10

Tony (#9) ? you have a point. He does seem very lazy and at times frustrasting, but Latchford did nothing other than score goals. In his first season with us, Yak could seem lazy and sluggish one minute, then be burying the ball in the net the next.

He's proably never gonna be the player he was in his first season since his injury and his apparent losing of interest after a few seasons at a club. I'd rather see him stay if he's fit and motivated, but there's no guaranteeing that with the Yak.

Marcus Kendall
12   Posted 01/01/2011 at 22:42:10

Yakubu started off well but, since his injury, he's clearly past his sell-by date. I watched him in the World Cup and he looked poor for Nigeria also, which suggests it isn't solely down to Moyes.

His career at other clubs has gone the same way also: starts off well then he loses form and becomes disinterested.

Saha needs shipping out also but, with Moyes seemingly unwilling to give Vaughan another chance, we'll have next to no strikers soon...
Joe McMahon
13   Posted 01/01/2011 at 23:03:20

More evidence (if any was needed) that David Moyes turns Goodsion into a strikers' graveyard. Any striker can and does arrive at Goodison in good form, and is then ruined by either negative tactics or sitting on the bench. So Yak is added to the same list as Beattie, Johnson and probably Beckford. Yak, Beattie and AJ were 20-goal-a-season strikers upon arrival.
Christopher McCullough
14   Posted 01/01/2011 at 23:07:46

Yakubu has a good record at Everton. This one's down to a dispute, I believe. Whoever is right or wrong in this supposed argument is not important. What is important is the effect. The manager has no money to act decisively. So inertia sets in after frustration.
Paul Holmes
15   Posted 01/01/2011 at 23:18:41

The Yak would be a success at a club that plays two up top, he needs someone to do his running, but give him a decent chance he will score. His goal record at other clubs proves this.

He got a bad injury with us and it has taken him time to get back. Not playing him puts his form back further and further. Blame moyes and his negative tactics.

The Yak would be leading goalscorer in the Premier League playing for Blackpool under Holloway, sometimes they play with 3 up top.

GET RID OF MOYES AND ROUND!

Andy Paolacci
16   Posted 02/01/2011 at 01:43:17

I noticed it too straight away and thought the same thing...

Yak needs to start, and he needs to play alongside another striker, or something close to it anyway, to have any real effect.

We saw the way he was linking up with Tim Cahill and it was working for him. Now, the man is below Saha in the pecking order; if I was him personally, I wouldn't be too happy about it either.

Yak started out like a bullet train, but now looks more like a Russian coal engine. However, he scores goals, and if he does go, I'll be a little frustrated that we're getting rid of a proven goal-scorer.

If Moyes is bemoaning his lack of goals, or any other striker's goals for that matter, then maybe he should be a little more positive and start with 2 up front, but that's for another thread!
Christopher Marston
17   Posted 02/01/2011 at 09:50:16

If I was Yak, I'd ask for a transfer.
If I was Heitinga, I'd ask for a transfer.
If I was Baines, I'd jump at the chance of joining Bayern.
If I was Pienaar, there is no doubt I would join Spurs.
If I was Arteta, I'd move back to sunny Spain.
If I was Saha, I'd up sticks to Monaco or another French place where life seems that much easier.
If I was Rodwell, I'd realise that Moyes does not nurture but stifles talent with negative tactics and lack of liberal play.

Now, I'm not saying all these things should happen because obviously loyalty comes into it but, my god, all this coud happen in January and we would seriously be in the mire!

The only thing stopping it from happening... Moyes needs to tell the players to just go out onto the pitch and express themselves, rather than strangle them with his insane negativity and over reliance on his big gob on the sidelines!

Thomas James
18   Posted 02/01/2011 at 10:24:00

We cannot score + The Yak has 86 Premiership goals* and is our most prolific scorer in the Moyes era = SELL HIM NOW!

Another master stroke!

OK, he now wants to go, but that is because Moyes won't play him.

*Reference Wikipedia
Jimmy Hacking
19   Posted 02/01/2011 at 10:56:07

Please stop making excuses for Yakubu: he had one very good season for Everton, then two-and-a-half poor ones.

The fact is that he simply isn't a "lazy twat who scores goals". There are two things wrong with that: first, he is no lazier than the average striker; Second, he has scored 9 league goals in two-and-a-half years.

One goal this season. One! Even donkeys like Marlon Harewood and Jason Roberts, who most of you would be horrified at us signing, score more than the Yak. Face it, if he had "it", he's lost it now.
Robert Pierpoint
20   Posted 02/01/2011 at 12:33:59

Jimmy (18), totally agree, I become frustrated with this constant backing of Yakubu I'm afraid. Granted, when he signed he was great for us and was the player that we are crying out for now.

However, this injury seems to have really affected him. The 2011 Yakubu simply is not the Yakubu from 2009.

Regardless of whether he has had a run-in with Moyes, his performance in half-an-hour against West Ham was dreadful. I think in the present market £3m for Yak (considering the wages he will be earning at Everton) is a brilliant deal.

Aidy Dews
21   Posted 02/01/2011 at 12:20:51

Chris #16, I said something similar a while back and the reality is if we... not 'if' actually, the way this season as gone and is going, our so-called top players, who are at an age where they haven't got long left in the game, will want to go elsewhere to win things and play Champions League football.

Players like Arteta and Cahill, even though they've signed new deals, will want to go and play for Champions League clubs with a chance of winning silverware; Pienaar's deal is up in the summer and ok, he wants more money but I bet he wants a crack at winning things and Champions League at his age so he'll go; Heitinga as already made noises about going; Jags will have his suitors and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the reasons above; and then there's Yak... well Yak's out of the door already in my eyes if we get a decent fee for him. He said he wanted out in summer and he's done fuck all since coming back from injury and he his now Moyesy's 4th choice.

And if all the above was to happen, then that means rebuilding all over again and it won't be no quick fix. So who's to say the likes of Baines, Rodwell and Fellaini will want to stay and see how we go? Cos I don't think they will; if they're as ambitious as they make out, like all footballers, and want to win things, then they'll fuck off cos, in our situation now or if we do need to rebuild, we aren't going to win anything for a long time!

And if the above does happen, then I think Moyes may walk but if he doesn't, then we might as well get rid IMO and start a fresh with a new manager with new ideas. We gave Moyes the chance to assemble a team/squad with whatever cash we have got our hands on and were at this stage. So I'd rather have a new man in with a fresh outlook on things to take us on and rebuild us and see where they can take us, not Moyes.

But if we can somehow luckily keep the main core of our team and Moyes can wheel and deal a bit and get in the right players in the right areas that we need. Then, I think he should have the chance to see what he can do with better tools at his disposal next season... IF he does, is brave and gets rid of the deadwood and replaces them with what he wants... IF possible. I'd like to see how we'd get on with a team/squad that Moyes thinks is right and capable; see if we could seriously challenge up at the right end and for the European spots, preferably the Champions League spots like he, and a lot of us lot thought we were capable of this season.

It would be interesting to see next season, IF he did get in the players he wanted, or something like through wheeling and dealing, to see if they would change our fortunes and make the difference or whether it is his tactics and they way he sets us up to go out and play that are stifling us.

I think its the quality in front of goal cos we do play some decent stuff at times and create chances but it would also be interesting to see if a better quality of player upfront would make a difference and turn them chances into goals for us because if they couldn't get the goals either, then what is the problem for us?
Oliver Molloy
22   Posted 02/01/2011 at 12:45:55

I reckon Yakuba is older than 27... he looks at least into is 30s, and perhaps that's why he can't run and he looks overweight. He might score the odd goal, but he's missed some good opportunities also. He's not fit enough to put a decent shift in, and if you were playing in the same side as him this would probably piss you off make no mistake.

Arteta needs to be dropped also or get a rocket up his arse!

Robert Moore
23   Posted 02/01/2011 at 14:21:30

The Yak had a bad injury, it took time for the injury to be fixed, it took time to get form back... and, just when the form and the fitness seemed to be coming back together, he gets dropped ? unreal.

Lads, we are in a serious crisis and it ain't going away for a long time; we will be in the Championship within the next two seasons... we need a new man in charge NOW.
Tom Bowers
24   Posted 02/01/2011 at 14:36:49

There are several players in the squad who should be let go now if anybody wants them. I won't name names because everyone has different choices for different reasons but nevertheless we have to sell before bringing anyone in. The squad is just not good enough as we all know and the January window availability of players may still not be able to improve this team but at least let's shuffle the pack and give opponents a different look instead of being predictable.

Without Cahill someone has to step up to the scoring plate. The relegation zone is too close for comfort and we have to get some win games soon. How can this team beat City and then struggle against West Ham and Stoke?

Something isn't right with this club and I am more convinced than ever it is David Moyes.

Jim Long
25   Posted 02/01/2011 at 16:25:33

Did I read correctly at the start of the season that we turned down £8M for Saha? If so, then that is an absolute shocker! Saha is for me only a 'bench' player, I'd definitely rather see the Yak get a run or even Beckford over Saha!

Also, it doesn't help that Moyes doesn't seem to give his strikers a full 90 mins on the pitch. He's been doing that since the days of fatboy Beattie, that's probably not helping any.

Or how about this, give Vaughan a go?!? At least he gets stuck in. I'd quite like to see Vaughan and Yak up-front together, they'd knock lumps out of any defence!

Leo Padyul
26   Posted 02/01/2011 at 16:56:03

Apparently, Moyes is not happy with Yak's attitude in training and overall lack of respect to the club and his fellow pros. Also, Moyes is intent on breaking up a clique at the club that he felt was detrimental to the team, the African clique of Lescott, Yobo, Yakubu and Anichebe are said to have been mercenary bad apples inside the club.
James Stewart
27   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:32:23

He looks gone to me. As stated above, after the Liverpool and Stoke games, he got dropped which made no sense what so ever. Another player who obviously fell out with the Gollum!
Jim Long
28   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:48:48

Leo, that's interesting, as I thought Saha was the trouble player at the Club? He was the one who was supporting Lescott when he wanted to go?
Tony J Williams
29   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:53:46

Don't tell Capello that Lescott is African. He may never play for England again.
Tony J Williams
30   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:57:54

Also Yak looked back to his normal size again against Wet Ham... ie, overweight.
Gavin Ramejkis
31   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:56:27

Leo, last time I heard, Yakubu, Anichebe and Yobo are African by birth even if Anichebe has lived most of his life in England but Lescott is English born in Birmingham. Anichebe's attitude has been reported a few times but he is still a kid, Lescott jumped for the money and Yobo chose country over club, maybe a different view from certain fans if he was an Engerland player?

Moyes is reported as happy with Saha trying hard in training yet he does fuck all on the pitch where it actually counts but Beckford who has scored in minimal cameo appearances granted by Gollum gets slated by him, go figure.

Peter Fearon
32   Posted 02/01/2011 at 18:12:38

I won't be sorry to see Yakubu's rear end disappearing over the horizon. He's fat, lazy and most of the time completely ineffective. He's supposed to be a target man but he's almost never where he's supposed to be. He has also been playing for his transfer in such an obvious way it's insulting. The man is supposed to win us games; he has been costing us games. His transfer fee ? like those of so many other front men under DM ? is money completely down the drain.