Who has sold 290 shares to Bill?

Even though it's all doom and gloom at Goodison, I was thinking about buying a share in Everton and was looking on the official website of how to do it. I was under the impression that there were 35,000 shares available in EFC. Can anyone confirm this?

Can anyone spot the difference here http://www.evertonfc.com/assets/_files/documents/feb_10/efc__1265113120_Everton_Annual_Report_and_Acco.pdf (PAGE 9 - No. of Shares that BK owns was 8,754). Compare with http://www.evertonfc.com/club/everton-shareholders.html which now means that there are 35,290 shares in Everton FC with Bill owning 9044.

Can any shareholders confirm if they have sold 290 shares to Bill, or were these new shares created? Or is it just a mistake on the website and sack the web designer?
Tony IAnson, Scotland     Posted 02/01/2011 at 11:34:49

Comments

Colin Fitzpatrick
1   Posted 02/01/2011 at 15:00:50

Tony , as I have answered elsewhere, the amount of shares can't have been increased, increased that is without a resolution nor by such an insignificant amount, so it would appear the über Evertonian has relieved someone of their shares.

To me, it looks like Kenwright?s newly acquired shares haven?t been subtracted from the minority shareholders total. There's only one person I know of who had this amount and we?re back to the murky deals that enabled Kenwright to become chairman.

Amazing how our oh so poor chairman can?t find a plan to generate money for lagging pipes or paying overtime or supporting our manager with a single penny but he can find the money to increase his shareholding, which ? come the weigh-in on selling day ? will pocket him another £1M if things go to plan.

On the other hand, it could just be another fuck-up on figures... Everton have form there!

Tony I'Anson
2   Posted 02/01/2011 at 15:13:34

Thanks Colin, that explains then that there are 35,000 shares available in Everton and Bill has bought another 290, taking his total to 9,044.

I will contact the club and ask them to correct the website figures and ask how I can go about buying a share in EFC.

I just don't understand why he would want to buy extra shares just for the sake of it though, or am I just being naive? I don't know what's worse, trying to understand the business of football or football itself.
Ken Buckley
3   Posted 02/01/2011 at 15:26:41

Tony. The business of football is what is wrong with football itself.
Tony I'Anson
4   Posted 02/01/2011 at 15:37:27

Ken, you are probably very accurate in your summation, but we are where we are. As a fan base we can no longer just look at what is served up each game. We dissect every minute detail that goes into gaining an advantage over opponents, from training methods, diet, balance and shape of the team, squad rotation, attractiveness as an investment, atmosphere in the ground, joy of winning, fear of losing, players attitude...

The list is endless and we keep doing it.

Many comments on here over this festive period suggest there are lots of fans who have basically given up. I just hope the team haven't because the thought of relegation does not bear thinking about.
Alex Kociuba
5   Posted 02/01/2011 at 16:13:14

How about somebody had some shares they no longer wanted, contacted Bill to see if he was interested; he was and bought them. End of story?

I'm far from being a Bill Kenwright fan, but why overlook the most simple and likely of scenarios? I know little about corporate business, but IF Bill is looking (24/7) to sell, wouldn't it be better to sell a larger share of the club?
Alex Kociuba
6   Posted 02/01/2011 at 16:18:15

When I say 'better', I mean more attractive to prospective buyers in the sense that they will have a larger grip on the business.
Tony I'Anson
7   Posted 02/01/2011 at 16:31:19

Alex I think the three main shareholders already own enough of the club (68%) between them to sell. But you've got me thinking, maybe a sale is on the cards.

I haven't a clue who owned that many, unless the Shareholders Association have sold up en masse? But I'm sure we would have heard about that.
Colin Fitzpatrick
8   Posted 02/01/2011 at 17:36:47

Tony, if you want to buy a share or shares that become available, through death, sale, disillusionment etc, you need to contact the stockbroker Blankstone Sington on 0151 236 8200.

Alternatively if you want a couple off the proverbial back of a lorry, so to speak, contact me privately and I?ll show you who it is that even directors have to ask to get hold of additional shares; probably do you a few hook shirts and jumpers into the bargain!
Tom Collie
9   Posted 02/01/2011 at 19:14:15

The sooner the plans of Kenwright and his cohorts come to fruition and they depart the better.

They've succeeded in bringing the club to its knees, if their pernicious influence continues for much longer, I hate to think of the consequences.
Ian Smitham
10   Posted 02/01/2011 at 20:49:34

How interesting. Colin you are right, the changes to any issue of shares would have to be approved by the shareholders and as one I have had no communication.

I also say you are wrong in that BK will personally own shares but the Company pays wages and maintains the pipes etc.

Tony, thanks for your comments and Colin for the means to buy should anyone want to.

The shares are bought and sold on what is called a matched bargain basis which is the broker has a list of potential sellers and matches that to the list of potential buyers.

Now I don't know the price of the shares just now, but have a rough idea and even the purchase of 290 costs a fair few quid. So back to the original query, why would someone with control buy more?

Control is defined as either owning or being able to exert a controlling influence over 20% or more of a Company. BK is in that position.
Alex Kociuba
11   Posted 03/01/2011 at 00:03:45

"why would someone with control buy more?"

The same reason anyone or anything would want more; power and/or greed.
Tony I'Anson
12   Posted 03/01/2011 at 09:02:45

Thanks Ian. Since I posted this I've been thinking WHY has Bill bought more shares?

I suppose it doesn't really matter who he bought them off, but is it a sign that the buyer he has been looking for since he became Chairman been found at last? I think that's the question every Evertonian across the world should ask themselves.
Ian Smitham
13   Posted 03/01/2011 at 12:22:42

I dont know your financial circumstances - obviously, nor you mine.

What i do know is that the club/board/BK or whoever seem to intimate there is no money.

290 shares will have cost an awfull lot (at my level) of money for what appears to be no real gain. Control remember is established already and there are no known plans to pay dividends.

The shares trade at variable levels but somewhere between £1,200 and £1,500 each is not wide of the mark.

So back to your question. What is going on?

Steve Jones
14   Posted 03/01/2011 at 14:50:31

I have been a shareholder for about 3 years - at that time they cost about £1350 each - and its very straightforward if you contact Blankstone. I think they charged about £100.
I do remember last year a shareholder with a large number of shares wrote to all shareholders via email stating he wanted to sell and asking if any interest - think this was well over 100 shares, so maybe Bill stepped in.
Craig Taylor
15   Posted 03/01/2011 at 20:06:23

Tony, are you a billionaire Everton fan?
Tony I'Anson
16   Posted 04/01/2011 at 16:17:39

Thanks Steve.

Craig - Not yet.

Club came back to me with a thank you for pointing this out. On http://www.evertonfc.com/club/everton-shareholders.html the small shareholders figure has now been adjusted to 11,188 and Bill's remains at 9044.