Members:   Log In Sign Up

Should we sell Vaughan?

Many of us wanted or hoped Jimmy Vaughan would be our next great striker. When he scored against Palace in the spring of 2005 making Evertonians not only happy with what we had but very optimistic about the future as well, things were looking good.

For young James, his footballing career was to stall before it even started. One lengthy injury after another meant he wasn't back until 18 months later, once again scoring from the bench against West Ham. Oh how he might have given us options in the disappointing 05-06 season when we ended up playing Osman and McFadden up front due to injuries!

He seemed to be over the worst when he make a sustained return in the Spring of 07, gaining rave reviews and scoring a well taken goal against Mourinho's Chelsea amongst others. However, within weeks he was on his back with blood spurting from a vein his leg and the injury couch beckoned once again.

Without dissecting or detailing his other injuries, he has always returned to show his potential and make us wonder what if? He came on against Alkmaar (perhaps the most comical game I've ever seen) and got the winner. He scored an important penalty in the Semi Final in 09 and came back in last season to score a couple before, yes you guessed it, getting injured.

But what remains impressive about him is his ability to keep coming in and bagging a goal. He really wants it. Look how he got on for his debut at Palace. A fit James Vaughan banged in a hat trick. I know it's a side in the bottom half of the second tier but to go in and score 5 goals in a dozen or so appearances after barely playing for the last 2 years shows he should not be given up on.

That's why I think selling him now would be an error. He's fallen behind one time youth team striking partner Victor Anichebe in the pecking order which seems bizarre in itself. He's quicker, more industrious, shows a better attitude and I am sure has a better goal-to-game ratio. And the injury argument goes out the window because Big Vic seems to struggle as well.

In summary, I think there are two big reasons why we should keep him and play him. Firstly, the amount he would be sold for is meagre and it seems silly to let him go for a pittance when our total spending last summer was £1 million and our most famous acquisition was a striker from a division below the one Vaughan is being linked to.

Secondly, Vaughan does seem to have self belief and confidence in abundance, probably bred from spending hours alone on the treatment table. He wouldn't keep coming back if he wasn't mentally tough. Virtually every time he's come back he's got a goal or two within a few matches. He doesn't care who he's playing and would seize the opportunity if given it. He would be getting on the end of stuff and roughing up the opposition so that other players can benefit.

Bring back Jimmy V!

Andrew James, North London     Posted 02/01/2011 at 20:16:12

Comments

Matteo Rosingana
1   Posted 02/01/2011 at 23:24:32

I have always liked Vaughan. He has always brought excitement to the game. He shows willing, courage, industry ? all Moyes-type traits. Things we're crying out for this season. Honestly, what harm could it do to give him 90 mins, give Beckford 90? Even if they don't score, it's no worse a return than Saha or Yak at the moment.
Ian McDowell
2   Posted 02/01/2011 at 23:25:08

I think he deserves a chance ? it's not as if he could do much worse and at least he works his arse off for the team. I would also like to see what he could do wide right he certainly has the pace to play there.

I do think Moyes has a problem with him for some reason though and there is no way back when you fall out with Davey, so I expect he has played his last game.

Andrew James
3   Posted 02/01/2011 at 23:41:35

Ian ? interesting what you say about DM having a problem with James. I sensed they fell out during a pre-season in the US a few years back but then subsequently they seemed to be fine and DM has shown trust in him (playing him up front last season and putting him on at Wembley).

But DM doesn't seem to be making him very welcome at the club now, suggesting he would sell him if the right offer came along. Meanwhile he perseveres with Anichebe who he did fall out with last year. Although that's a strange decision given Vaughan is the better player, maybe there is hope for him yet!
Colin Ryan
4   Posted 02/01/2011 at 23:52:47

Think it's time to sell him to be honest, lads. Too injury-prone and even though I like the lad, I don't think he's good enough at the top level. Similar to Branch, Jeffers, Cadamateri, Jevons and Chadwick. We had high hopes for all of them and look where they ended up.

I see were linked with Macheda now. Can't see him doing any more than Vaughan to be honest.
Alex Kociuba
5   Posted 03/01/2011 at 00:11:24

Agree with everything Matteo says.

Colin, Vaughan is clearly better than the comparisons you have given, Jevons and Chadwick never even played a game for us did they? And as for Macheda I think that would be a superb loan signing: a promising, young, talented footballer desperate to prove his worth (for a desperate, worthless, untalented Everton team).
Andrew James
6   Posted 03/01/2011 at 00:11:58

Colin ? I don't see Vaughan having much in common with that fairly shameful list you reeled off! Although hats off as that's a motley crew if ever I saw one!

Branch, bless him, was too lightweight. Chadwick wasn't quick enough. Jevons clearly wasn't up to playing in the top flight or the second tier but awesome lower down. As for Jeffers and Cadamateri, those two had the ability to be goal machines. Jeffers was greedy and paid big style for it as he never got into a team who played to his strengths or developed as he should have. Cadamateri put weight on. I blame Walter Smith for the demise of a reasonable player on that one.

None of the above were in the first team squad for as long as Vaughan, kept on coming back from injury and scoring.

Plus the best of them Jeffers was a one-trick pony whilst Vaughan is more versatile.

My word... long time since I even thought of Michael Branch...
Andrew James
7   Posted 03/01/2011 at 00:20:56

Alex ? I don't think Jevons ever got off the bench but Chadwick scored a few towards the back end of the 2001-02 season from memory.

He looked decent but got injured and Rooney left him in the shadows.
Gaute Lie
8   Posted 03/01/2011 at 02:04:24

First, I do think Vaughan had good potential. Now, he's injury-prone beyond repairs and, if we can get some money, I would sell on the spot. He's at best a championship player, and could thrive there if injuries don't cripple him.

However, I would also let Saha go for nothing. I don't see him as anything else than a "has been", and he's making a big payday each month, even if he seems to be totally wasted on the field.

We need to bring in one or two strikers this month. If Moyes is unable to manage the arrival of some new upfront men, it's not only because he's out of cash. There's always possibilities, loans, swaps, etc etc.
If he can't handle even this aspect of the game he should be locked up and put behind bars.

Sorry bringing this into a Vaughan discussion. Just had to.
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 03/01/2011 at 02:31:10

For me, Vaughan always looked the better player of him and Anichebe but injuries stalled his career. Since then Moyes has farmed him out or given him a Beckford special before it was Beckford's; five minutes or so at the end of a game where he was made to look like a virgin trying to get laid for the first time; running around like a headless chicken instead of being given a chance to play a good portion of the game and run at defenders with the ball and not chasing to get it back.

I'm worried about the link to Macheda as DM will destroy him too with his lone striker chasing lost causes into the corner flag or hoofball trying to win headers against meatheads like Samba, neither of which he would be suited for. We desperately need Moyes to change the record and play a different formation and start shooting on sight, the more shots the more likely one of them will eventually go in.
Mike Elbey
10   Posted 03/01/2011 at 03:19:36

I would love to see a combination of Vaughan and Beckford up front in Cahill's absence. This would give us some pace and energy up front ? something we have lacked all year.

Any chance of Moyes doing this? Not a chance ? he will simply pick another midfielder to play off Saha ? take your pick from Osman, Rodwell, Fellaini. There is no way Moyes will allow his sterile tactics to be shown up...
Eugene Ruane
11   Posted 03/01/2011 at 07:19:15

Mike Elbey - agree completely,

Given our (lack of) options, this forward-pairing makes as much sense as anything as anything else that will be suggested.

It might have a naive element to it but it would at least give us something we've been lacking (for fucking years).

A bit of pace

Sadly, with Mr belt-and-braces 'running' things, I think it'll be more along the lines of Vaughan flogged for peanuts and a 4-6 formation.
Lee Courtliff
12   Posted 03/01/2011 at 08:39:54

I have my doubts about both Beckford and Vaughan but right now I would love to see them both start against Spurs.

I like them both. It's hard not to. They have pace and energy, they can grab a goal and Vaughan is always fun to watch when he flies into the opposition. Just like Seamus.

I said to my Dad last night that Moyes needs to shake things up. STARTING James and Jermaine would definitely do that and it would get the fans onside right from kick-off, help boost the atmosphere.

Let's just fuckin' try something different. Spurs generally play 4-4-2 so what's the problem, Moyes? At least bloody try. Like James Vaughan always does!! No we shouldn't sell him.

Christine Foster
13   Posted 03/01/2011 at 09:16:52

I sort of like Vaughan, but I fear he hasn't the class / maturity to shine in an Everton side that clearly cannot make successive chances for its strikers.

I do however think he is head and shoulders above Big Vic, a real bull in the china shop, of the two I would chose James anyday. He has more control, better finishing and doesn't fall over when looked at. He is a hard aggresive player that puts a defence under pressure (puts it about) a bit too fearless for his own good at times but overall a good trouble causer (of Cahill ilk)

So where does that leave us? From a business perspective I would play him in a 4-4-2 combination if Saha and Yak have gone and we are left with Beckford and Vaughan. I belive that might just be a good combination.

Secondly with a number of games under his belt his worth in the market place will increase. It may be in both parties interest to give it a go. ( assuming of course that we don't go out and buy a striker, sell Saha and Yak and replace them with a centre half .. )
Kunal Desai
14   Posted 03/01/2011 at 09:24:23

In a real world I would like to see Vaughan and Anichebe partnered up front together, whether that ever happens I very much doubt it.

As for the striker search Moyes is truely fucked with this one, if he is linked with Macheda then he really is desperate. I honestly cannot see where a half decent striker is going to want to come to us.
Norman Merrill
15   Posted 03/01/2011 at 09:04:34

You would have thought that Moyes, would have a plan in place with Tim being away for a month. But the way he has been shuffling between Saha, the Yak once or twice, and Beckford for ten minutes here and there, he is not sure.

James Vaughan wont come into it, as I think he has answered back a few times, and you know what school teachers are like with petulance. That leaves Anichebe, unless he has a loan up his sleeve?

Whoever he decides on, things have to change, and quick, Spurs are on a roll, and following up Scunthorpe, and our record against lower league teams in cup competitions is a disgrace. Then we face a club supposed to be in turmoil?

It's going to be a hard slog, requiring players giving their all, and the manager has got to get his act together, in team selection and tactics.

Ajay Gopal
16   Posted 03/01/2011 at 09:55:28

I have always felt that Vaughan has been given a raw deal by David Moyes. I may be wrong, but I think the truth may be that Vaughan is not one of those to meekly accept what DM has tried to coach into him. Of course, he has been extremely, extremely unlucky with injuries at Everton. I honestly believe that Moyes is missing a trick by allowing Vaughan to leave the club - as others have pointed out, Vaughan would bring some badly needed energy into this listless side.

Also, I though Scott Parker was awesome for Westham against us. It would be good to test West Ham for a swap - Yak & Pienaar for Parker (maybe throw in Yobo also as a sweetener).

Assuming everybody is fit, I would love to see this side given a run to see how it goes: Vaughan, Beckford, Cahill, Rodwell, Fellaini, Arteta, Coleman, Heitinga, Distin, Baines, Howard.

SUBS: Saha, Anichebe, Billy, Ossie, Neville, Mucha
Gary Davis
17   Posted 03/01/2011 at 10:10:58

He has scored more goals than all are strikers put togeather for a team bottom of the championship and he been injured and banned for three games. He puts more effort into one game than all of the rset put together all season. Youngest ever Prem scorer.
Ray Robinson
18   Posted 03/01/2011 at 10:21:12

Never been convinced that Vaughan has either the ball or self control to make it at the top level. And does he really have the pace now after all the injuries? There has to be a point at which a judgement call is made on "potential" and I believe that moment was reached some while ago. The same applies to Anichebe in my opinion.
Danny Burke
19   Posted 03/01/2011 at 11:22:40

I like James Vaughan and I think he had great potential. The thing is his debut in 2005 is now (just) six years ago and he has never been able to get a regular run, mainly due to injuries. There must come a point when enough is enough and I fear that James has reached this point. When fit though, I'd have him over Big Vic, Beckford and even Saha at the moment. I still think the Yak can do a job, The Yak and Vaughan up front could be fruitful in Cahills absence, Yaks finishing with Vaughan to provide the energy and industry Yak seems to lack.

I cant remember who it was at the club but they commented that JV was the bravest player they have seen at Everton since Andy Gray, this I believe is partly a contributing factor to his injuries. The severed artery for example, he could have pulled out of that tackle but went in with little regard for his own safety and paid the price. His injuries have all been of a similar ilk, he is not the traditional injury prone "sicknote" who pulls a muscle/groin every other game, most injuries have been as a result of direct trauma to his body reulting in snapped cruciates, dislocated shoulders and severed arteries. Maybe he just needs to use better judgement and not put his body on the line quite so much?
Andrew Laird
20   Posted 03/01/2011 at 11:45:48

I believe it would be foolish to sell Vaughan without giving him some games first. What exactly have we got to lose with a player who at least has 2 of the attributes needed for a lone striker role - energy and pace. Maybe he does not have the qualities anymore for premiership football but for me you could say the same for all of our strikers, Neville, Hibbert and Arteta (at the moment).
Howard Don
21   Posted 03/01/2011 at 11:53:40

Ajay (15) did you really mean to leave Jags out altogether, not even on the bench?
Dick Fearon
22   Posted 03/01/2011 at 12:05:20

After seeing what happened to every striker that came under the influence of the Moyseiagh Vaugn if he had any sense would be banging on Moyes door and screaming for a transfer.
Kenny Patto
23   Posted 03/01/2011 at 12:47:26

I think Vaughan is a great forward, when he played no matter who he played against he showed no fear, (just ask John Terry). Sadly I don't think we will see him again in a Everton shirt. I don't think Moyes will play him incase he breaks down again and the potential of a sale will go. Moyes is like a used car salesman who wants to get rid of a car he hasn't been able to sell, just patch him up put an MOT on him and hope he leaves the car lot before the head gasket goes.
Trevor Lynes
24   Posted 03/01/2011 at 13:22:28

Vaughan has never showed enough ball control to be a top flight player and he is prone to picking up yellow cards and injuries because he runs and tackles like a headless chicken...I reckon Victor has much better ball control and a lot more composure..of the two Vic is a much better choice...Im afraid we are grasping at straws by considering Vaughan at all and I think he will vanish into football obscurity once he leaves us.
Incidently Gosling already has and so have the vast majority of the players we have had high hopes for.
I would only be interested in a player who can control the ball better than non league players.
Kenny Patto
25   Posted 03/01/2011 at 12:47:26

Danny Burke
26   Posted 03/01/2011 at 14:05:40

Trevor #24 Gosling has been injured ever since (and before) he left us, now he may well go on to obscurity but it's premature to say he has done so already.
Gerard Harkin
27   Posted 03/01/2011 at 15:58:02

Am I being naive or has no else noticed the valuation on Vaughan? Somewhere between 1 and 2 million and all the clubs interested are a division below us! Can you lot not see what this means in common English? Vaughan is, at best, a Championship player and even at that, he is a risk given his injury problems! As for this nonsense of youngest Prem goal scorer, will people still be calling for him to get a game when he is 50 just because he was the youngest goal scorer ever? We need to cop on folks, Vaughan is not the answer, neither is Big Vic. They have had a combined TEN years to signal their intent/announce their arrival and neither has been able to take it! If it comes down to it, Vaughan has/had much more raw talent than Big Vic BUT both are NOW nowhere near good enough for Premiership level football. Sad maybe, but true definately. Just because Saha is past it and Yakubu is out in the cold is not a good enough reason to suddenly start playing these two guys on a saturday!! Two past masters on the pitch or two donkeys will make no difference! Sell, sell, sell...
David Holroyd
28   Posted 03/01/2011 at 17:30:27

I doubt if Moyes has even thought about playing Vaughan or Saha ? never mind together. I don't think he's got it in him to change.
Ajay Gopal
29   Posted 03/01/2011 at 17:45:22

Gerard (#27), since when was a player's valuation a true indicator of their ability as a footballer (think Cahill, Pienaar, Arteta) ? I guess all that Vaughan's fans are saying is give him 1 real, final chance (not even the chances that Saha has got this season), and then decide whether he is good enough to make it or not. The worst thing would be if he moves over to another club on the cheap and then goes on to become a good footballer.
Thor Sørensen
30   Posted 03/01/2011 at 17:11:08

I remeber James Vaughan going riot v Man.U. a few years back and at the time I was thinking "this lad can become a true world class striker some day".
I really like James Vaughan and I think he HAD as much potential as any player I've ever seen.

When James Vaughan first came into the first team, the "young David Moyes" was in charge, installing in his players the never say die, run through brick walls, always give 110%, sacrifice everything-attude. I believe, in his efforts to impress his manager, James Vaughan took all this some steps too far.

With his numerous injuries, I don't think he's been brave at all. I think he's shown a complete lack of judgement and, be getting injured in the same manner OVER AND OVER AGAING, displayed simple stupidity.

Like David Burke #19 mentioned, most if not all of his injuries have all been similar, as a result of direct trauma to his body reulting in snapped cruciates, dislocated shoulders and severed arteries.

He severed his arterie to follow through on a shot that got deflected into row w. WHYYYY???

He destroyed his knee to win a throw in. WHYYYY???
(which was COMPLETELY worthless as our mooronic centre backs hoofed possesion away seconds later anyway)

He desperately needs better judgement, but somehow I don't think he's got the maturity to learn from his past mistakes.
Gerard Harkin
31   Posted 03/01/2011 at 20:42:39

Ajay, the players you mentioned were going up a division and not heading downwards. Do you really honestly think Vaughan can go on to be a top player at a Premiership club?
Nathan O'Hagan
32   Posted 03/01/2011 at 22:05:29

Vaughn is so injury prone i cant see him ever quite making it long term. However, he is currently fit, has been playing regularly and scoring a few goals at Palace. Saha has been woeful, Yak is out of favour
and i remain unconvinced by Vic's attitude and ability. Beck is our top scoring striker (admittedly with a paltry tally of 2 and a tendency to miss sitters) and Vaughn scored 5 at Palace. So what have we got to lose by playing at least one of them? If we play Becks, he HAS to have another striker with him. There is simply no way he can play the lone striker role, especially at this level and with his lack of experience. Vaughn has played that role to good effect before. Remember the Chelsea game a few seasons ago? He scored, and gave their defence a torrid time with his pace, movement and agression. If he could play that role then, he can play it now he's a bit older and hopefully wiser. With Tim gone to Asia, we need to try something different, so why not two up top? Whether DM sticks with 4-5-1 or goes 4-4-2, we need to be playing through the middle, along the floor, if we do this the movemnt offered by the likes of Becks and Vaughn will cause problems for defences, as will if we get the likes of Seamus and Bainesy round thr back to put rcrosses in from the by-line for strikers to attack. If we play these ways with two eager, pacy and mobile strikers hungry to make a point, i believe we can score goals. Playing with 1 up top, hoofing the ball forward aimlessly, we will continue to struggle.
Kristian Boyce
33   Posted 03/01/2011 at 22:56:26

I think Vaughan is another example of the David Moyes striker graveyard. You can add him to the Yakubu, Saha, Johnson & Beattie list which seems to keep on growing. This can be said of Big Vic as well, great potential, but Moyes is trying to make him a winger instead. I don't think the massive potential Vaughan had was ever developed. The use of the 451 system means that there is big competition for one striking position, and with 4-5 other players vying for that role it was always going to be tough for him. Also that position needs an experienced striker in it, not someone still learning the ropes. If we played a 442, and he was able to learn alongside a Saha/Yakubu or whoever, I think we would have an amazing player on our hands.

I think his injury issues a partly down to the lack of playing time to. Getting a 5-10 minute run out doesn't help your game fitness. I really think he should of gone out on loan when he was around 18. Playing regularly probably would of kept him fitter and stronger, and less prone to injuries. I think he will be shown the door this month, and I see him doing well at a club that will continue to let him develop and give him the playing time he needs. If I was James Vaughan I'd look back at my Everton career as something that was damaged due to the lack of development and direction from the manager.

Jimmy Hacking
34   Posted 04/01/2011 at 00:48:36

I think Vaughan has had his chances at Everton and not really taken them. I can't see him ever developing into a deadly finisher at this level, yes he might score 3 or 4 coming off the bench but thats yer lot.
Ajay Gopal
35   Posted 04/01/2011 at 08:52:05

Kristian Boyce # 33..... Exactly !!! (especially your last sentence)
Matthew Lovekin
36   Posted 04/01/2011 at 10:24:48

I think desperate times call for desperate measures. At least Vaughan still has a bit of pace, enthusiasm, and still knows where the goal is. That's more than Yakubu, Saha and Anichebe to start with.

Play Vaughan now, even if we only get a few games out of him, we might get a few goals and even win a game as well! What do we currently have to lose?
Chris Briddon
37   Posted 04/01/2011 at 12:32:53

Kristian - are you for real - suggesting that Vaughan has been "damaged due to the lack of development and direction from the manager". Do you not think that spending most of the last 5years out injured may have had something to do with it.

Vaughan had potential to be a good player, but he still plays like a 17 year old, he hasn't developed the intelligence to play the game any differently. I am sure this is down to injuries over the early stages of his career. Whils others were devleoping their match skills - intelligence, running of the ball, composure etc. He has missed out and as such has not moved on greatly from where he started.
For Everton it is time to cut and run and for JV I hope he finds a nice club to continue his football and make some sort of career, cos he needs a good break or two. Sadly it wont be for Everton.

Also, somebody mentioned Cadmarteri - his problem was nothing to do with weight, it was to do with the lack of a footballing brain. All he could do was get the ball and run with it, he didn't know what to do with it other than that as he couldn't pick a pass or even look up to see what was available. I once saw him pick the ball up on the half way line and run the ball out of play for a throw in with no-one near him at all!
Tim Kells
38   Posted 04/01/2011 at 13:21:31

Am I correct in thinking that JV's contract expires in the Summer 2011 which may be another reason to sell him now?
Colin Smith
39   Posted 04/01/2011 at 15:24:21

I agree that Vaughan has not been given much of chance - last season even the worst Brazilian in the world was picked ahead of him. Now Moyes, for reasons that are beyond me continues to play Big Vic whenever possible. I don't know if Vaughan has attitude problems but he seems better at keeping his toys in his pram than Big Vic.

Now Vaughan may, or may not, be a 20 goal a season striker & we'll never find out until he gets a run of games under his belt. Yes he does run around like a headless 17 year old, largely because he's only ever been given 10 minute cameos to prove himself. For my money Vaughan's got everything that Beckford has (+ better touch & he's younger) so give him a run.