Our Squad is too good!

At the start of this season, I and many Evertonians thought that we had our strongest squad in recent memory. There was talk of qualifying for the Champions League and maybe even pushing the big 4 teams for the top spot. Crazy talk now... but it got me thinking that maybe the strength of the squad is part of the problem!!

Moyes has been brought up on getting the best from threadbare squads and has done an admirable job at it. However, he has had very little experience of handling more talented squads where players are competing (expecting) to play. In fact, one of his main selling points to attract players has been to tell them that we have small hardworking squad and they have a much better chance of playing at Everton than sitting on the bench at other clubs. The two main problems with a better squad are keeping people not playing happy and having a consistent balanced team; I think that Moyes has struggled in these areas.

One of the issues that I see, is that he is trying to squeeze in the "best players". This is exactly the trap that England fell into in the World Cup with Gerrard and Lampard etc. But the best players do not necessarily make the best team. First, you need team structure/balance and THEN you pick the best players for each role. So, playing Tim Cahill (absolute legend) up front on his own makes no sense. Similarly, recently playing Arteta alongside Fellaini and Rodwell made no sense to me. Arteta should have sat on the bench and bided his time.

Secondly, you need some consistency in the team and give people a chance to play/prove themselves. The forwards are good example. I think Moyes has too many options and, especially with a 4-5-1 formation, is struggling to give each forward 15 minutes to prove themselves. Maybe Yakubu is pissed off because of this.

In my opinion, we need to pick a forward and give him a fair go (my choice would be the Yak who can hold the ball up, is a handful for defenders and can score). If he fails after a number of games or is injured then the next in line comes in.

Ciaran Duff, Sydney, Australia     Posted 05/01/2011 at 08:07:49

Comments

Kunal Desai
1   Posted 05/01/2011 at 14:28:05

Can't say i'm one of those that thought before the season started we'd be challenging for the title or top four, top six perhaps.
How fortunes have changed inside six months and we're facing a different challenge now. The R word.
The squad isn't one you can compare to Man City or Spurs let alone the other big three. We can beat anyone on our day but that doesn't mean we are consistent. Another season petered out and more players on there way out in the summer. Enjoy the decline as that's where we are going with Kenwright and Moyes.

Tony I'Anson
2   Posted 05/01/2011 at 15:26:06

At the start of the season, I wouldn't have said too good, but good enough to cause a few surprises and be thereabouts. But then again, I'm an eternal optimist although a slightly worried one at the moment.
Anthony Hughes
3   Posted 05/01/2011 at 15:26:34

I don't think our squad is as good as was believed. Our main creative player Arteta has been crap and Piennar aside there's no one else to pick up the pieces. We've been overly reliant on Baines and Cahill and basically that's it. A midfield duo of Fellaini and Rodwell doesn't work for me, i find them to too similar, neither has any real creative spark in them. Whist Fellaini does a good job as the midfield anchor i'm really struggling to see what Rodwell's best position is. We also still have the perrenial problem of complete lack of pace in the squad and also the pace at which we play our football which is so easy to play against.
Jimmy Hacking
4   Posted 05/01/2011 at 15:47:51

First of all I was one of those cocky dreamers who predicted we would be up there pushing for the title tomorrow, based on our scintillating form in the second half of last season. Frankly I feel betrayed, violated and broken by our disgusting first half of this season.

Second, I don't agree with the sort of specious reasoning whereby teams somehow play better with key players missing. Quite a few people have already commented on how we will improve now that Cahill is on his holidays. I am just thankful that people like these are not allowed anywhere near my club in any sort of official capacity.
David Thomas
5   Posted 05/01/2011 at 15:41:36

I know I will get slated for this but I can't see the great player in Jack Rodwell that most others seem to be able to see. For me there is not one particular item of his play that makes him stand out to me.

Obviously he is only a young lad who needs to get more experience and I am sure he will become a good player but I can't see this potential world beater that many others seem to see, for example, I remember reading a post a while back saying Rodwell shows as much potential as Rooney did at the same age and nearly fell off my chair.

Tony Cheek
6   Posted 05/01/2011 at 16:16:31

Have written here before about Erik Huseklepp (Norwegian International and striker for Brann Bergen in Norway) and what an investment he might be. Just read that he is off to Celtic.

Could have had him for half the money we would have sold Yakubu for. Another one that got away!!!

Jimmy Hacking
7   Posted 05/01/2011 at 16:24:11

#4 where I wrote "tomorrow" that was meant to be "this season" strange slip there.

I agree David I just don't see a huge amount of potential in Rodwell, he has the touch of an elephant and his passing is mediocre at best. I think he will end up staying in the prem all of his career but I highly doubt he will develop into some international superstar. I sincerely hope I am wrong though.

If Chelsea are prepared to pay £20 million for him I think we should take the money and run.
Trevor Lynes
8   Posted 05/01/2011 at 16:18:53

I never for one moment thought that we had a really strong squad...we have no cover for Baines...we have no alternative to Arteta as a playmaker, especially if Pienar goes...we do not have proper winger who has pace and good crossing ability...we rely too much on left flank attacks, God help us if Baines gets injured.
I honestly look at our squad and compare it with other premier sides and I find it seriously lacking !!
We do not seem to have any worthwhile youngsters pushing for places and to top it all we are hoping for other teams cast offs or surplus bench warmers to assist us through the coming months.
No team with any ambition would be associated with the injury prone Owen and santa Cruz.....
Too many of our fans have been hyping up Rodwell who is not exceptional in my eyes...
Our strong squad is really threadbare for tonights game and Redknap can afford to have a much longer injury list than ours and still field a really good side..... I fully agree with Anthony #3 we lack pace and guile and I am really scared of Bale and Lennon running at our defence.
I hope I am 100% wrong..
Dave Whitwell
9   Posted 05/01/2011 at 16:48:52

I've always believed that Rodwell's best place is in the hole behind the striker, i.e Cahills role, for me thats where he will end up. I think the player I would liken most to him would be S Gerrard in the way he plays with the drive and pace, similar to his goal v Utd.

I think in that role he could be an exceptional player but we would need pacey wingers to make the system work. I do agree as a CM he is probably just a decent prem player but no more.
Matthew Lovekin
10   Posted 05/01/2011 at 16:49:09

Ciaran, completely agree. In other words Moyes has reached his managerial level. A lower side overachieving, battling against the odds, backs against the wall mentality.

Now Moyes has assembled a better quality squad with (supposedly) creative players, he doesn't know how to handle them and get them playing as a team by attacking and dominating the opposition.
Tom Bowers
11   Posted 05/01/2011 at 17:16:41

Absolutely agree with many of the comments here. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
We do not have a consistant squad of players and although we all have views about Moyes team selections the fact remains we are a mid table outfit no matter which way we shuffle the pack. We need an overhaul and that has to start with Moyes being replaced. Some players have not ''kicked on'' with their progress either the young players or those returning after lay-offs. It would seem the Moyes now has to concentrate on getting a position of safety as any other hopes have long gone. Cannot for the life of me see them going on a winning streak and so unfortunately the rest of the season will be a struggle much like the first half. Sorry it's all doom and gloom but 4 wins so far this season speaks volumes.
Mike Allison
12   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:01:11

"What is it that Rodwell excells at that will hopefully have me eating my words in the future?"

Football.

The point is that he doesn't have one element of his game that's outstanding, such as pace, strength, passing ability, a good shot, or being completely two footed, being a natural in attack and defensive positions, reading the game intelligently, making good decisions with and without the ball, being able to play well in different roles within the team and getting your wife interested in football because he takes his top off when he scores (still with me?) its that he's got all of them. You might want to read that again to check it makes sense, but it does.

He's an excellent all-round player, with no real weaknesses.
Rob Lyons
13   Posted 05/01/2011 at 19:19:00

Stop the press, Moyes has picked two strikers in one game, to start as well!!!
David Thomas
14   Posted 06/01/2011 at 08:35:25

Mike Allison,

In my opinion, he has not shown he has all those assets to his game. However, I sincerely hope you turn out to be right in the long term.