Members:   Log In Sign Up

Financial Premier League

After Moyes's admission that Stoke (a properly run football club) now have more financial muscle than Everton, where does that leave Everton in a Financial Premier League table?

We are now probably financially worse off than not only the big clubs but also Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle (can afford Ben Arfa), Blackburn (new owners), Fulham (Al Fayed still has money if wants to invest), Birmingham, Aston Villa, West Ham (new owners) and Wolves (another well run club).

That leaves us fighting 'relegation' with Bolton, Blackpool, West Brom and Wigan. Ironically all teams that try and play attacking football to move them up the table into a 'false' position.
Matthew Lovekin, Brighton     Posted 05/01/2011 at 17:10:18

Comments

Sam Hoare
1   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:03:28

Man City just splashed £27m on Dzeko.

Not fair.
David O'Keefe
2   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:01:49

Matthew get it into your head that the club don't have an attack worthy of the name unlike those other clubs you mention.

The Moyes bashing on here is getting ridiculous, you can't be resourceful with an ever decreasing amount of resources.
Karl Jones
3   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:07:54

Most worrying though is that as our top players get older, where do we get the cash to replace them?
When the likes of Hibbert plays CB in place of a regular reserve CB in Duffy, it doesn't fill me with confidence that we have an abundance of quality young players coming through at the moment... The future does not look bright to say the least.
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:17:13

A business model of asset stripping until you are left with your staff to be sold on as your only income stream only has one potential outcome, bankruptcy and closure. How long before there simply isn't anyone left to sell?

Do we really have the money to pay a loan player's salary?
Jamie Carroll
5   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:18:51

Moyes main objective every season is to not get relegated. The 4-5-1 formation exists to not get beat, pick up as many points and stay up. That keeps the board happy.
Gavin Ramejkis
6   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:22:25

Each place up the league is worth £500,000 ? how much will we piss away staying down the bottom end?
Phil Martin
7   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:20:54

I'd be interested to know exactly how much money the club will recieve from the revenue generated by the £9m complex being built @ the Park end. Considering we aren't spending a penny to build it.
While its the only way we can generate some extra funds, its a disgrace that we are in this situation. I imagine kitbag and its partners are confident of making a good return on this. So its probably a great deal for them. A bit like building Finch Farm and selling it before its even open.

On the subject on salaries, Moyes has stated that he will have to sell just to fund any loanees wages. Sad, sad, sad...
John Ford
8   Posted 05/01/2011 at 18:32:28

To answer your question 'where does this leave Everton in the financial league table', well into the botton half. (The closest thing to a league table is shown in another article - 'You spend, you win'.)

To illustrate the point, Spurs have a NET average per season spend of about £25million, Everton's in down at £5milllion. I'm worried about tonight's game!
James Cadwaladr
9   Posted 05/01/2011 at 19:11:58

Phil @ 6. Where did you hear that mate? I'm not surprised but to have it confirmed if right is very sad.

Only thing though, how could we have paid Donovan's wages if he comes but not anyone else's in his place. Surely we would have had to fund his wages for the duration?
Richard O'Shea
10   Posted 05/01/2011 at 19:28:36

I see Moyes has choosen 2 strikers in the line-up against Spurs, Saha and Beckford. I am in shock.
Marc Williams
11   Posted 05/01/2011 at 19:31:06

James (#8) ? In today's Daily Mirror, Moyes is quoted as saying we don't have the funds to pay a loan striker's wages.
James Cadwaladr
12   Posted 05/01/2011 at 19:42:36

Thats not great! But sell to borrow seems to be Kenwright's way of running things!

Two up top. Pleased but we had better not get stuffed as, if we do, we won't see it again.
Joe McMahon
13   Posted 05/01/2011 at 20:48:09

Why can't Moyes free himself and just go....that would release a spare 65k a week.
Robbie Shields
14   Posted 06/01/2011 at 00:22:29

David O'Keefe #2, so we don't have an attack worthy of the name eh? The Moyes bashing on here is ridiculous eh? You can't be resourceful with dwindling resources eh?

I must live in a different world to you. The world I live in is one in which you make intelligent decisions on the information at hand, this information may change at any time, and when it does you make different decisions. Moyes has consistently been unable to grasp that purely within a footballing context over 9 YEARS!

Timmy is off to Qatar and Moyes has, after trying 0 strikers at West Ham, now gone 4-4-2 with genuine strikers and had to play Everyone in their correct positions, and what happens? We stuff a very very good Tottenham side who has far more resources than us at the present.

That is why Moyes gets stick and that is why he will continue to get stick until he makes intelligent footballing decisions based on unfolding events and evidence.

Erik Dols
15   Posted 06/01/2011 at 07:54:08

Newcastle has been outspending us for the past 15 years or so. They don't know what to do with money.

And I'm very sure that our wage bill is much bigger than Wolves and Stoke and some other clubs you mention. They can spend some money now as they are relatively new in the Premiership but when their salary structure has adapted, they'll have troubles of their own.

We're far from doing great in the financial department, but please, put things in perspective. It's nice to be able to offer a decent transfer fee, but if you can't match it with great wages, you're not going to get the player.
Alex Highton
16   Posted 06/01/2011 at 10:18:24

Yeah, Robbie (#13), totally agree with you. I wish we could go back to the days of Walter Smith, he was amazing, I loved the football we played under him. Best team ever.

Actually thinking about it, I'd rather have Mike Walker, that team we had then was fantastic. I could watch them all day. Joe Royle? I did enjoy the "Dogs of War" very much. That was an incredible team. That day we won the cup defending for 90 minutes and winning by a spawny goal. Ah happy days...
Robbie Shields
17   Posted 06/01/2011 at 23:34:48

I'm obviously older than you Alex, the good old days I remember were in the 80's, even in the 70's we played positive attacking football, I remember lots of 4, 5, 6, 7 nil wins (not losses), how many do you remember?
Alex Highton
18   Posted 07/01/2011 at 07:38:24

Nope Robbie I remember the 80s but surely you've got to accept that this is a totally different situation to that decade. I remember tons of great games.

In the 70s Bob Latchford was my first hero.

The thing is Everton were the Mersey Millionaires in the 60s & 70s and they haven't been since. Since the early 90s we haven't had any money.

Now to say that Moyes hasn't worked mircales on a completely restricted budget having inherited an awful team is ludicrous. I think his net spend is something like £5 million a season.

We've got one of our best squads we've EVER had. We've had more successful teams trophy-wise but the league wasn't nearly as tough to compete in as it is now, when the likes of Stoke can outspend us...

The best we did in the 70s was finish 3rd once and 4th twice. In fact we finished in the bottom half of the table 5 times in that decade. I'm sure you were really happy with that, we must have been playing brilliant football. I think you should be careful what you wish for.
Alex Highton
19   Posted 07/01/2011 at 07:56:56

It's clearly too early and I'm too tired as I made tons on mistakes in that! Apologies but you get my point.

p.s I meant to say "one" of the best teams we've ever had ? not "the" best.