Coleman, the new Kanchelskis

Watching Seamus Coleman last night flying up and down the wing, leaving defenders in his wake reminded me of someone... that's right ? a certain Andrei Kanchelskis.

I know Coleman is far from the finished article at this stage, but he is probably our most exciting player at the moment. Every time he gets the ball at pace he causes problems for defenders. Last night against Spurs, he was the best wide player on the pitch, that includes the so-called world class Gareth Bale.

As far as I am concerned, Coleman is no longer a good prospect at Everton ? he is now a worthy 1st team regular. If he keeps playing to the current standard and pitching in with the odd goal, I believe he could be our Player of the Season. Another great buy from Moyes!

Coleman proves that if you're good enough, then your old enough, and if you have the talent, then you should be given the chance.

Well Done, Seamus Coleman ? future Everton legend. (Man City, keep your hands off!)
Paul Davey, birr, co offaly ireland     Posted 06/01/2011 at 13:02:06

Comments

Nick Entwistle
1   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:38:53

I watched his post match interview on MOTD and he seems to be moving his lips while some Irish accented gentlemen did his talking for him. Almost as strange as Pienaar's deep baratone.
Dave Lynch
2   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:44:23

Paul.
Coleman is a great prospect, but Kanchelskis he is not my friend.

You been sitting under that big telescope drinking the local breww again. lol.....
KPR Williams
3   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:47:38

I think us posing a genuine threat down the right as opposed to the left and playing 4-4-2 was enough to completely flumox the tactical genius that is Harry Redknapp..
Does this mean we have a Plan B?
or apart from VDV were they just not very good?
Gavin Ramejkis
4   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:52:26

He's good going forward but no Kanchelskis, if he can develop his defending skills we've got a cracker. Please don't coach his verve or desire to attack out of him.
Howard Don
5   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:45:52

What I love about Seamus is he doesn't look like a class footballer but he is, doesn't look like he'd make a winger but he does, he doesn't look like he's got pace but he has.

What he does look like is an enthusiastic schoolboy taking on the big guys and sticking it to them and boy is that great to watch.
Sam Hoare
6   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:52:12

I certainly agree that he is our most exciting player at the moment and one of our few midfielders who seems to offer a genuine goal threat. He could have had a hat-trick last night.

If not quite the kanchelskis-esque finished diamond then certainly an exciting raw gem.
Dave Wilson
7   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:44:01

I said recently that I thought he needed to start lighting fires, he certainly did that last night. He gets terrific reaction from the crowd, the Goodison faithful love him. Our Captain put a shift in last night and that certainly helped Seamus`s cause.

Make no mistake, that was a very good full back he was running ragged last night. >Fair play to him.
Trevor Lynes
8   Posted 06/01/2011 at 15:52:16

Coleman still needs to improve his final ball..he attacked brilliantly but wasted at least two good opportunities....Kanchelskis was much faster and direct....Coleman does not remind me of Kanny, but is his own player and not an out and out winger....At present Baines is our best crosser of the ball and the left flank is normally our best attacking outlet.
BUT..Nev backed Coleman really well and between them they created havoc....I hope they can repeat the dose regularly and stop us being one dimensional.
It was a revelation to see both wings attacking and a two pronged dangerous attack down the middle.
Saha was superb and Becks was a great foil for him...maybe we have turned the corner ?????????????
Brian Waring
9   Posted 06/01/2011 at 16:09:49

The lads a raw talent, who could turn into our Gareth Bale.
By the way, Distin player of the season for me, up to now.

Trevor, how he lines up against the shite will tell us a bit more, just hope he doesn't show them any respect, and just goes for it again.
Dan Donn
10   Posted 06/01/2011 at 16:34:36

Seamus Coleman - "The Sligo Slayer!"

Pure raw talent, I would give him a year or two before we can talk about his ability in the same category as Kanchelskis
Jimmy Hacking
11   Posted 06/01/2011 at 16:35:56

his exuberance is certainly a breath of fresh air. not sure exactly how good a player he is yet, don't want to sound negative; but he certainly has the "talent" and his form this season has undeniably been superb.

In response to Brain #8, for me Baines has been slightly better overall, but Distin has been as good a centre back as anyone in the prem. And I was calling for him to be sold in August. (hangs head in shame)
Fran Mitchell
12   Posted 06/01/2011 at 16:40:31

He's a raw talent. Aggressive, quick, direct, enthusiastic combined with natural ability.

To become a top winger he needs to develop his first touch, overall technique and most importantly his final ball. He seems reluctant to cross at times, and when he does he hits it hard and low and into the space, rather than floating and aiming.

But his development has been exceptional and yes he is one of the first names on the teamsheet.

With him and beckford in the team we actually have pace and 4-4-2 is an option (unfortunately the final touch is what noth lack).

A word for Beckford also.

His pace alone should make put him in the team. His finishing is erratic, but his movement and pace really open up the pitch. Fellaini and co have more space in midfield and it gives something for Saha to run on to, rather than Saha having his back to goal and requiring to beat 4 defenders to score. In the long run we need another forward (with pace), but until that moment I think Beckford should be playing.
KPR Williams
13   Posted 06/01/2011 at 16:52:02

Distin guilty of ball watching on the Spurs goal perhaps?
Gareth Humphreys
14   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:00:27

I think you have forgotten just how good Kanchelskis was. Streets above anything we have seen since Beardlsey and then back to the mid 80's lot.
Tony J Williams
15   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:34:44

I wish he was as good as Kanchelskis. I truely do
Guy Rogers
16   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:37:45

Seamus now....next up the big bad duffy and how about a bit of grueyvue on the side!
Jonathan Field
17   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:40:54

He reminds me of Damien Duff in his Blackburn days.
Alan Clarke
18   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:52:33

According to Hansen, it's because the Spurs left back wasn't very good!

I think Coleman is an awesome talent. His cross in the 2nd half to pick out Saha was brilliant. His run and cross for Cahill's goal against the shite was brilliant. I'm glad Donovan's not coming because Moyes won't drop Coleman now.
Charles King
19   Posted 06/01/2011 at 17:52:57

Sure he has some rough edges but the lad is fearless, even when we're playing shite he's at it.
Love his attitude, his daredevil approach and after his interview love his " Father Dougal" voice from "Father Ted".
Never change son, you're a breath of fresh air.
Hugh Jorgan
20   Posted 06/01/2011 at 18:24:03

Seamus Coleman....If you ask me he is mustard. Shame he's not English then he would hot
Jamie Barlow
21   Posted 06/01/2011 at 18:26:48

Hansen is a cock.
David Price
22   Posted 06/01/2011 at 18:40:21

Landon who?
Jamie Tulacz
23   Posted 06/01/2011 at 19:32:10

Nick (1) tell me about it! It'll be the Yak next taking off his shirt to reveal the body of a supermodel...
Dermot Ryan
24   Posted 06/01/2011 at 19:49:01

Actually he reminds me of a young Emelyn Hughes.

I'll get my coat...
Sam Morrison
25   Posted 06/01/2011 at 19:53:29

you mean get your goat?
Dave Vickers
26   Posted 06/01/2011 at 19:48:14

I still think, that we did not need to loan him out to Blackpool, he was good enough and unpredictable enough to have least been used in the FA cup and against the more defensive set-ups last season.
442 I love it !!!!!
Chris Matheson
27   Posted 06/01/2011 at 19:57:32

What bothers me about young Shameless's performances is that for several weeks numerous of us here on TW were calling for him to be played at right mid, and it took Moyesey ages to give it a whirl.

It is just like last night, we've been calling for two strikers, and last night DM finally gives it a whirl and hey presto.

I am not one of the Moyes Out brigade but I do wish he would be more adventurous sometimes, or maybe just try the blinking obvious!
David Thomas
28   Posted 06/01/2011 at 20:35:41

Seamus had a great game last night but he has a long way to go to get anywhere near Andrei Kanchelskis.
Tim Keen
29   Posted 06/01/2011 at 20:36:56

@Chris Matheson

Maybe, and it is only a maybe, the manager who signed him and works with him every day in training is a better judge of when he is ready to play Premier league football regularly than the assembled posters on the Toffeeweb letters page?
Mike Oates
30   Posted 06/01/2011 at 21:10:49

Great prospect but I'm a bit worried that he seemed far too keen to keep hold of Arteta after the goal. Arteta even tried to get away but Coleman grabbed him again .Noticed not many other players came across too quickly to congratulate him.

Can also remember Cahill pushing him away after the goal against Liverpool . Perhaps we've got a bit of a fruit cake bloomimg ?
John Crook
31   Posted 06/01/2011 at 21:13:27

i would prefer playng Coleman everygame for the rest of the season rather than bring Bentley in. Coleman has so much eagerness. Can the same be said of Arteta or Yakubu?? My point being no need for a right winger loanee.
Guy Hastings
32   Posted 06/01/2011 at 21:10:08

When in full stride, he looks a world beater. From a standing start, he currently lacks the technical ability to do much with the ball and is quite easy to defend against.

However, that area of his game will improve with games. There aren't many true wingers in the divison at the moment which is why each opponent's left back is currently leaving the park desperately seeking a beer or six.

As for Hansen suggesting Everton and Seamus' success against Assou-Ekotto was merely because the Spurs left back is poor was lazy on the part of Mr Morrisons.

Assou-Ekotto has actually impressed this season but last night, he just couldn't deal with the £50k man from Sligo.
Alan McGuffog
33   Posted 06/01/2011 at 21:44:42

Thanks Guy (30) for reminding me how little we shelled out for the lad. I bet BK is rubbing his hands in delight at the thought of the mark up he'll get when he moves him on to Old Trafford next season
Jay Harris
34   Posted 06/01/2011 at 21:49:44

I posted last year that he was the most exciting player on our books because the thing about him is he's not a superstar bling bling type but he's fearless and he gets you on the edge of your seat because you know on at least one of his runs he will create a goalscoring opportunity.

I even noticed Phil Neville tried to emulate him on a couple of occasions last night.

Long may it continue.
Lee Watters
35   Posted 06/01/2011 at 22:39:49

Guy, Coleman is from Donegal, played for Sligo, doesn't really matter though, he is mighty.
Nilesh Tailor
36   Posted 06/01/2011 at 22:44:27

I'm still buzzing after the result yesterday. The question is what will happen when Cahill is back? I think Moyes needs to stick with 4-4-2. I know Coleman is playing amazingly well, but put him back at right back, play Arteta on the right and a central midfield of Felliani and Cahill. What does everyone else think??
Sean McCarthy
37   Posted 07/01/2011 at 02:07:55

Nilash there's a reason he doesn't play right back. He can't tackle!!! I'd say leave him where he is.

As for what happens when cahill returns it's obvious. He plays him alongside Saha. He'll miss a month and still come back our top scorer. No-one will convince me that he's been playing midfield this season. When he plays we more often than not play 4-4-2 or at worst 4-4-1-1. I've not noticed 5, across the middle. And another reason why cahill will and should come straight back in is Beckford despite last nites euphoria is a Championship player at best and yak is finished.

Chad Schofield
38   Posted 07/01/2011 at 04:03:40

Remember how rubbish, OK... Relatively, Ashley Cole was at defneding for a a long while. Having Neville behind him will help him learn. Kanchelkis came from Man U don't forget and was considerably older. Whether he develops as an out and out winger, or flying fullback, I just hope he keeps delveloping and he isn't tempted away with big money.

Fran, spot on about Beckford's pace and movement... I hope he is allowed a bit of a run in the team.

Finally, while Pienaar's Barry White vvoice was a suprise, I can't beleive anyone was shocked Seamus has an Irish accent... SEAMUS, surely only a surname like O'Murphey would be a bigger 'give away'!

Paul Gladwell
39   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:05:20

Kanchelskis was one of a selective few players who have played who you can call world class, imagine him in the mid 80s team? it is only through us all being loyal to that 80s team that kanchelskis never gets a mention in all time Everton elevens.
Bobby Woll
40   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:27:04

As a lower bullens resident of the 1980s I'm not sure I would have swapped Steven for Kanchelskis. Mind you talk about the two ends of the right wing spectrum!
Lee Mandaracas
41   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:27:45

@Tim Keen No 29

You would have a point if it were not proven on more than one occasion that the posters on Toffeeweb were correct whenever Moyes finally takes the hint.

I am wholeheartedly with Chris on this. The fans are not always right but when there are hoards of them yelling the same message all over the web and at the matches it would be nice for the manager to take it on board a little sooner and perhaps prove them wrong at worst. One thing is for sure, continuing with failing methods or being increasingly negative (a la West Ham a couple of weeks ago) is never going to be a solution is it?
Norman Merrill
42   Posted 07/01/2011 at 12:49:21

Seamus, Is improving all the time, and the more games he gets, the experience will enhance his ability.
To compare him with anybody at this stage, is a little premature.
Neil Vaughan
43   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:22:20

Paul...Don't be so utterly ridiculous...How much pressure do you want to put onto the lad trying to live up to expections like that.

Coleman has proved a decent option on the right and altough he does so very very good things he also very naive in other parts of his game.

Give him a chance to develop and hopefully fulfil the potential he has shown so far before comparing him to out and out match winners like Kanchelskis...
Kanchelskis was a player who could win games on his own ( which he did a number of times) at this present moment Seamus is no whre near that good.
Peter Webster
44   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:32:53

I remember when Kanchelskis signed. I was living at the top of Smithdown at the time and it was on the lunchtime news he'd be signing that afternoon. So me and me mate got down to Goodison, ignored Johnson and waited for Andrei. When he turned up me mate, Mick, for some bizarre reason (prob the breakfast Stella n' rocky) went up behind him and squoze his love handles. I can still see his look of utter bewilderment. Still got me on the break t shirt n'all. Here's hoping Shem does half as well.
Tony Waring
45   Posted 07/01/2011 at 17:19:09

I agree with Neil #43. At times he does look very naive. His basic idea seems to be..... let the head drop, light the blue touch paper and scorch off the launch pad like a rocket towards the visitor's goal with very little alteration of course, which occasionally means he comes up against a brick wall of a defender unless he suddenly remembers to feint right - in which case he runs the ball out because he's so close to the touchline, or left in which case he has a chance of doing something constructive. He's still raw but very enthusiastic and exciting to watch and I sincerely hope he continues to develop into a player like Kanchelskis. In the interim I would'nt mind having a look at Bentley - on a loan basis. He's another with great potential and experience albeit in urgent need of good man management.