Weakened team for Scunthorpe?

It is my view, that we should use the FA Cup to give our players a chance to rest after a great win against Spurs and to prepare for the derby game.

I believe that we should stick with the same team for the derby, meaning that ? as we are not gonna win the FA Cup (We are not!) ? we should give some of our fringe players a go.

My team would be;

Mucha; Hibbert, Duffy, Distin, Baines; Bilyaletdinov, Osman, Rodwell, Gueye; Anichebe, Yakubu.
Anthony Jaras, Widnes     Posted 07/01/2011 at 00:09:44

Comments

Joey Brown
1   Posted 07/01/2011 at 04:27:02

I disagree to a certain point. I think Saha and Beckford should be given another chance to gel.

Duffy yes, but he won't and maybe give Mikel another game since he was finding form and going against some easier opposition may help his return to stardom. The rest I'm cool with but we'll see
Ajay Gopal
2   Posted 07/01/2011 at 04:33:09

Some of these players need a break, especially Baines and 'old man' Distin. Personally, would like to see Anichebe & Vaughan up front, especially since the Yak seems to be on his way out. Pip Neville in the team to gee up the boys.

My team:
Mucha, Hibbert, Duffy, Heitinga, Neville (LB), Osman (L-MF), Rodwell, Arteta, Anichebe (R-MF), Bily, Vaughan
Subs: Gueye, Beckford, Saha, Pienaar, Fella, Turner

Knowing Moyes though, it will be an unchanged side from the Spurs game.....
Steven Pendleton
3   Posted 07/01/2011 at 04:53:09

Only chance of silverware this year, gotta go for it!! Best team out there for mine.
Sega Kana
4   Posted 07/01/2011 at 05:33:42

Agree with Seven. We should put out our core team as any chance of a silverware is a miust.
Alan Clarke
5   Posted 07/01/2011 at 06:20:12

We must get on a run of form now. If we lose to scunthorpe, we're back in the doom and gloom again and Moyes puts himself right back under pressure.

This is one of the most important games of the season and why do you say we can't win it? It should be the same team and same tactics. They've a week to rest after the game whereas the shite play Man U then Blackpool. The shite's confidence will be shot to pieces by then and ours needs to be sky high.
Russell Buckley
6   Posted 07/01/2011 at 06:28:20

Our players shouldn't be crying out for a rest. Considering most of them have been used to seasons with European matches factored in I say keep the same team. Try and get another win under our belts and find some form going into the derby.
Robbie Shields
7   Posted 07/01/2011 at 06:55:45

I don't think you need to worry too much, Moyes almost always puts out a weakened team when he plays 4-5-1 :)

Seriously though, we aren't Arsenal or Man United, as some have already said, we need to win and go through, we can win the cup given a bit of luck, our only chance of silverware again!!!!!!
Eric Myles
8   Posted 07/01/2011 at 08:20:31

That's 8 first team players you've named from 11 so not really very radical thinking.
Besides there's 1 week between the games that the players can have a rest in.
Brian Waring
9   Posted 07/01/2011 at 08:27:36

It should be the same starting 11 that played against Spurs, and barring injuries, it should be the same starting 11 against the redshite.

Craig Taylor
10   Posted 07/01/2011 at 08:49:35

I think we have to put a strong side out, if we lose (no matter the team) there will be negativity from fans and media etc.

We are in positive spirits at the moment and we want to keep that up going into the derby.

Beckford and Saha looked decent together, and they need plenty of game time together.
Craig Taylor
11   Posted 07/01/2011 at 08:49:35

Gavin Ramejkis
12   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:08:28

Our only chance of silverware and entry to Europe unless we really put a Lazarus run on from now until the end of the season, go for it.
Lee Jamieson
13   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:04:51

Absolutely not! Moyes must play his first team all the way in the FA Cup as this is our last opportunity at some success this season. Our pathetic start to the season has ruled out any of the europe spots and we threw away our league cup chance.Do you honestly think Liverpool will field a weakened team in the Europa or the FA cup? Not likely in fact I bet they do their upmost to win one of these competitions to salvage some pride. I see very little difference in the quality of their side and ours so lets not settle for second best and demand to be winners!
Dave Lynch
14   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:14:51

The only changes i would make are.

Rodwell for Felli
Billy for Pienarr
Give Distin a break.
As long as Billy is played in his proper position. We should easily have enought to turn them over as they are shite at present.
Can't risk losing Felli to one of his silly challenges with some big games coming up.
The strikers need to stay, a few goals = confidence, a major attribute for a striker.
Ray Roche
15   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:23:00

Dave Lynch has made a very good point about Fellaini. If he reacts to a rash challenge we could lose him for three games. I'd like to see Bily played in what is supposed to be his correct position in the middle and Gueye given some game time. But Saha and Beckford should have the chance to cement some sort of understanding and play together up front. If Moyse reverts to 4-5-1 he should be taken out and shot.
Ray Roche, The Voice Of Reason.
Anthony Jaras
16   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:22:08

Eric Myles,

Compared to the Spurs team, it is a weakened team. Yes, there are some first teamers there, however, I said give SOME of our fringe players a go, as in Mucha, Duffy, Gueye, Bilyaletdinov and the rarely used Yak and Anichebe of late.

My thinking is that we need to play safe in case of injuries for a massive six-pointer against the RS.

My inclusion of Baines is down to the fact that we are not rich of left full backs.

Also, with six internationals, that team should surely beat Scunthorpe. Shouldn't it???
Adam Bennett
17   Posted 07/01/2011 at 09:44:24

??as we are not gonna win the FA Cup (We are not!)?? ? How do you know?!??!?

If we play a weakened team and get knocked out, how many people do you think will be filling the mailbag up moaning about how Moyes has fucked up. How we?ve threw away our only chance of silverware and European place, etc etc etc.

Play the strongest 11 possible and get through. Might getting ahead of myself here, but get a home draw for the 4th round, scrape through the 5th round, and before you know it we?re in the quarters and anything can happen.

Jeeeeezus, what is wrong with some people?
Andrew Conroy
18   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:05:07

Have to disagree, Anthony. Consistency is what we need now, not more tinkering, even though I can take your point.
Sam Hoare
19   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:08:23

Why are we not going to win? The only big team that has outplayed us was Arsenal. On our day, we can match anyone.

Rodders and Bily are the only players I would be tempted to bring in. Definitely give Saha and Beckford another run up front.

Away from home at scrappy Championship team in rainy winter... not an easy task.
Anthony Hughes
20   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:10:53

Absolutley no changes. Play our best available team and tonk Scunthorpe. It would be a good confidence boost to hit four or five goals. As for players being tired, do me a fucking favour, there's probably a couple of them who've played in about 20 games this season. The majority have either been suspended, on the bench, a few minutes here and there as subs or missed games through injury.
Terry Hayes
21   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:39:37

Ray Roche @15 ,"the voice of reason"... I salute thee, mate, bang on in my opinion.
Mark Murphy
22   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:42:50

I'd give Beckford a full 90 but with Yakubu with him. I reckon Pienaar could do with a break so Bily will be in there for him. Jags still out and Heitinga still half fit from injury so leave Distin in there but blood Duffy. Fellaini out for Rodwell.

My team:

Heitinga
Hibbert
Howard
Saha
Anthony Jaras
23   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:52:46

Adam Bennett, if we win the FA Cup this season, I will track you down and give you a grand.
Christopher McCullough
24   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:52:39

I think Everton have a very good chance of winning the FA cup.

Maybe Moyes will give Bily half a game or even a full game; Pienaar has played a lot of football at max tempo.

In the unlikely case that we are winning comfortably at half time I'd like to swap Distin with Rodwell.

Otherwise, it's a good opportunity to build some partnerships. Arteta/Fellaini; Distin/Heitinga; Beckford/Saha.
Anthony Jaras
25   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:02:14

As much as I LOVE the FA Cup, after enjoying a great day out at Leeds in '95 at the Semi Final and enjoying a great yet expensive day at both Wembley Stadiums in '09 and a couple of gets ago, I just can't see us winning it this year.

Add to that, the importance and significance of a MASSIVE three points against the RS to drag us away from the too-close-for-comfort drop-zone, I would sacrifice a cup run for the league points.

It only takes one loss and we could be in a major relegation fight and with Wolves seemingly hitting form, as well as the likes of Blackpool and Newcastle grabbing wins every few games, I am far more concerned about the league than the cup.
Kevin Tully
26   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:09:00

Anthony, we have had an awful season granted, but we have still beaten two of the top four in the last few weeks. We can beat anyone at Goodison.

I say play our best team, and let's get on a winning run before the derby. I hope woy is still in charge and the kopites will be stringing themselves up from the rafters if we twat them.
Mike Allison
27   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:19:10

"as we are not gonna win the FA Cup (We are not!)"

I don't want to be too horrible to you personally Anthony, but I find this a disgraceful attitude. Yes, we are unlikely to win the FA Cup, and the odds will be against (I'm guessing around the 15-1 mark) but we must try to take this opportunity to win silverware, otherwise what the hell is the point of supporting Everton, or being a football fan in general? I'd rather come 11th in the league and win the FA Cup than 5th in the league and win nothing again. In fact, if you look at this season, we have the makings of a cup side. We have performed well in big one-off games against good sides, but failed to be consistent over the league season. This means if we do get past tricky lower division sides we will be able to play our strongest XI in the big games later on against the better teams who may be forced to rotate their squads if they're involved in European competitions.

I do accept that maybe there is a need to rotate, and rest some of the players who've played the most, but this should be with the aim of having a fresh, hungry XI to beat Scunthorpe, not of treating that game as unimportant. Therefore any changes should be minimal, and to suggest leaving out Heitinga, who must be one of the freshest players in the squad, whilst picking Distin, who's played more than anyone, doesn't even match up to the stated intention of the selection.

We should basically play our strongest XI, with maybe one or two changes for the sake of rest. I would accept Duffy playing to rest Distin, but we all know this is absolutely not Moyes' style. I would also like to see Bilyaletdinov and Gueye involved, even if only from the bench.
KPR Williams
28   Posted 07/01/2011 at 10:37:45

I reckon he will rest certain individuals; think Beckford will start... possibly with the Yak.
Rodwell for Felli. I'm worried about this game... they will play in a manner we tend to struggle to play against, i.e. right up for it. And we have a tendency to play one good game followed by 3 bad ones... but what do I know?
John Crook
29   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:34:41

I agree with resting some players in preparation for the derby. I would go with

GK Mucha
RB Hibbert
LB Baines (No-one else to play here)
CD Heitinga (needs another game for fitness)
CD Distin
RM Coleman
LM Osman
CM Fellaini
CM Rodwell
CF Beckford
CF Yakubu
Subs Howard Arteta Pienaar Saha Neville Bily and Anichebe.

With the first 5 subs replacing Mucha Hibbert Rodwell Yakubu and Beckford for the derby. I would actually play Leon Osman off Saha in the derby. He offers excellent link up between midfield and attack, is capable of a goal, gets in good positions ? he is not good wide and is a bit lightweight but is a clever palyer and will thrive in the derby. Back Leon to score anytime next week.

Dave Toby
30   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:49:40

We're not gonna win the F.A Cup?!?!

That's the spirit. I may just stop going the match actually, we're not gonna win the league either.
James Cadwaladr
31   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:50:53

I weouldnt make whoelsale changes as it is important to get another victory under our belts ahead of the Derby so I would just mix it up a bit.

Mucha

Fellaini
Yakubu
Bilyaletdinov
Vaughan
Anthony Jaras
32   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:52:01

Dave Toby, what you on about? Have you ever considered the greater good? The league and survival comes before the cup. Simple as that! Don't be so melodramatic.
Jon Ferguson
33   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:46:33

I?m not saying we will, but we are defo capable of winning the FA cup this season but we might as well give up and starting supporting a club playing a different sport if we?ve given up before it starts. This season we have drawn against Utd and Chelsea (and could have won both) and beaten Spurs and City. We can compete with the top teams it?s the lesser teams we have struggled against but I think with a 442 this will change.

I think we need to play a strong team but with a couple of changes to keep people fresh and give some fringe players. I?d play
Howard, Baines (no alternative), Duffy, Heitinga, Hibbert, Bily, Rodwell, Arteta, Gueye, Yakubu, Beckford.

I think that is a strong enough team to win and also gives Duffy, Bily and most importantly Gueye some much needed match time.
Mike Gwyer
34   Posted 07/01/2011 at 11:39:32

Anthony.

We have a huge track record in the cup, almost as many semi's as ManU and Arsenal and FAR, FAR more than Chelsea, Spurs, City, the RS or any other footy team. Why do you even contemplate not winning the thing.

If you have a ticket, you are a lucky man and if you follow the blues away you will know that cup games are out of this world, the atmosphere will be electric!!

I can guarantee you that the 3000 going to Scunthorpe will want Moyes to pick the best 11 - the RS can wait till Sunday!!

Fran Mitchell
35   Posted 07/01/2011 at 12:38:01

My Team:

Mucha
Hibbert, Duffy, Heitinga, Garbutt
Coleman, Rodwell, Bily, Guaye
Beckford, Saha

I believe Howard will remain no1, even with his occasional lapse, but if injury/suspension ever occurs Mucha will benefit from extra gametime in the cup (until we play a top team).

Neville could do with a rest, he is 33/34 and next game at derby needs Nev at his best.

Distin needs a rest, perfect game to introduce Duffy. Heitinga also needs gametime before the derby (if Jags doesnt return) and personally I want him to stay; he is better than Jags.

Baines also deserves a rest. Garbutt is only option I can think of. I'd also be interested to see him.

Good game to rest Fellaini (agreed on the suspension points above). We need him 100% for the derby. Good game also for Rodwell to find some form.

Arteta still doesnt deserve a place, I would like to see Bily in central midfield. He has goals in him + we lack goals = we need Bily.

Guaye. If he's ever going to play he's gotta play in this one. Him and Coleman would give us pace and enthusiasm on the wings.

Saha and Beckord had something promising. Neither are in need of a rest, quite the opposite. If there is one thing our forward line needs it's consistency.
Fran Mitchell
36   Posted 07/01/2011 at 12:48:21

I expect however:

Howard
Neville, Distin, Heitinga, Baines
Coleman, Rodwell, Arteta, Osman
Saha, Beckford
Paul Holmes
37   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:22:10

Play the same team that started the match at Spurs... get ahead... THEN make subs to give players a rest. DONT start with a weakend team, it will be asking for trouble! I'm pretty sure the NEW Davey and his positive team selection will show this.
Neil Vaughan
38   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:28:30

Why do you think we cant win the FA Cup...attitudes like this is why we are a mediocre outfit.and dont win TROPHIES.

Everton CAN win the FA CUP and Moyes should pick his strongest team in EVERY round.

Win the derby or win the FA Cup...not even a contest in my opinion...

Some people make me seethe....
Anthony Jaras
39   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:45:45

Neil Vaughan,
Are you having a laugh? I didnt say we should lose to Scunthorpe, I said we should preserve and not risk injury to some of our first picks and instead, with the derby in mind and give some of the other, first team, fringe players a game. Most of whom are established already anyway.

Winning the FA Cup or winning the derby? Did I pose that question? No!

That team I picked should beat Scunthorpe ? if they couldn't, they shouldn't be on the books!

I don't really see how people can be turning my post into some sort of "Get knocked out of the cup" idea!

Bizarre!!
Jay Harris
40   Posted 07/01/2011 at 14:01:41

This is an ideal opprtunity to build on the line up against Spurs by giving that formation more game time.

Go for it for 60 minutes then hopefully 3-0 up sub some to give them a rest.

Dont agree with this tiredness lark though.

Most players get injured when they havent had much game time and then strain a muscle.

Those that play every game seem to pick up fewer injuries.

Bookings are just a question of keeping their heads something that Felli struggles with at times but he is getting better.

Same team for me.
Danny Burke
41   Posted 07/01/2011 at 13:49:57

Strongest team possible! Try and win the cup, whats the point in playing or being a supporter if you accept defeat and never try to win anything. Would players rather show their grandchildren a winners medal or say, "well we didnt win anything but we did ok in the league"? It's small time thinking which is fine for Blackpool but we are bigger and better than that.

Nelson Mandellas chiropodist is the only person who is allowed to say de-feet is ok!
Brian Lawlor
42   Posted 07/01/2011 at 16:04:26

it has to be our best 11. Full stop. It's our last chance of silverware this season and we've got to go for it.

We saw what happened at Brentford when things are shuffed a bit and Scunny are much stronger than them.
Mike Allison
43   Posted 07/01/2011 at 18:25:16

Anthony its not 'bizarre' at all. You state that we're not going to win the cup, its pretty logical to infer that there's no point going any further in it then, and that you are prioritising the league. Maybe that isn't what you really meant to say, but that so many people have taken that from what you wrote certainly isn't bizarre, its the natural reaction.

There are eight days between the Scunthorpe game and the derby, so to suggest that players need resting from one for the sake of the other is more bizarre. There's more danger of players not having match practice through not playing for eleven days than there is of them being tired with an eight day gap.
Karl Masters
44   Posted 07/01/2011 at 18:47:38

Stupid post.

1/ Why can't we win the FA Cup??? As recently as 2 season ago we made the final.

2/ Resting players often backfires. Classic example was Bolton in the UEFA Cup at Sporting Lisbon so they could all rest for a '6 pointer' against Wigan. Tumbled out of Europe with a wimper after having worked their arses off to get there the year before, and of course also lost to Wigan and left with egg alll over Gary Megson's freckly face!

3/ We did that at Brentford and look waht happened there!

Far better to put out a strong line up, build on the Spurs result, get a couple of goals ahead ( I hope!!!! ) and then give Gueye, Bily and Rodwell some time.

And if you're giving away money if we win the FA Cup, can I have some please?
Jon Cox
45   Posted 07/01/2011 at 20:29:36

PLAY THE TEAM THAT BEAT SPURS.

If not then give Baines a rest and put Nev to cover. We need Saha and Becks to gel. Thats it.
Martin Faulkner
46   Posted 07/01/2011 at 22:46:46

Got to play the strongest team for this.
With the FA cup you never know how it will pan out in later rounds, we could get a freindly draw for a few rounds while some of the so called bigger guns draw each other.
Same team as vs Spurs barring injuries, bang 3-4 in and then give Gueye and Duffy a half hour each at the end.
Ryan Rosenberg
47   Posted 08/01/2011 at 08:34:13

Mucha
Hibbert Duffy Distin Baines
Coleman Bily Rodwell Gueye
Beckford Yak
Neil Vaughan
48   Posted 08/01/2011 at 19:39:59

Mike # 43....here here !!

The inference was quite obvious to me and it would appear to the majority of others...thanks for the support...
Neil Vaughan
49   Posted 08/01/2011 at 19:39:59

Mike # 43....here here !!