Members:   Log In Sign Up

Stargazing

I watched a fantastic series last week on BBC TV call "Stargazing Live", based on astronomy and everything connected with it.

In the last programme of the three-part series Lisa Bonin (BBC presenter) interviewed a Canadian Professor called Gary Davis on top of a 4,000 foot mountain in Hawaii. He is the director of the Joint Astronomy Centre in Hilo, Hawaii.

What made my jump out of my seat was that when he was being interviewed he was wearing an old blue Umbro wooly hat and on closer inspection I noticed it was an Everton hat, complete with badge. After the show finished, I began to wonder what this Canadian professor was doing wearing an Everton hat, thousands of miles away from Goodison Park, running a multi-million dollar Infra-Red Telescope in Hawaii.

I decided to look him up on the web and he is world famous in his field, luckily his email was available and I dropped him a line to ask him about his connections to Everton, but not expecting a reply, he must be busy, right? Anyway, he replied thus.

Hello Larry

I've been an Everton supporter since 1984. At that time I had recently moved to England from my native Canada, and I adopted Everton as my team. I've supported them ever since, attend matches whenever I can, and am now a shareholder.

I thought they would ask me to remove the hat before the filming, but they didn't, so you are one of many Evertonians who noticed me!

Glad you enjoyed the programme.

Best regards,
Gary Davis

It is amazing the Everton supporters all over the world, in all walks of live, don't let anyone ever tell you we dont have world wide appeal. Its a little pastime of mine when watching sporting events like the Ashes, The Masters, etc to look out for Everton shirts, flags.

I am about to write back to him and ask him if he knows of ToffeeWeb...
Larry Boner, Liverpool     Posted 10/01/2011 at 23:03:32

Comments

Craig Burrell
1   Posted 11/01/2011 at 06:08:06

He does know about Toffeeweb - indeed he subscribes to the (separate) mailing list of it. A true blue !!
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:28:33

Little things, Larry, cheer you up. Well observed anyway.

Shame Mark Thompson wasn't as observant otherwise he may have seen that meteor.
Ellen West
3   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:50:56

Ask him if he ever finds a new star, comet or nebula could he call it "Dixie011080".
Zack Yusof
4   Posted 11/01/2011 at 08:11:47

Excellent post!!! Always nice to hear about Evertonians all over the world.
Tony J Williams
5   Posted 11/01/2011 at 08:55:41

Good job he came over in 84 and not in the 90's or he would never have been a fan. Bloody glory hunter .....only joking fella
Tony McNulty
6   Posted 11/01/2011 at 09:02:40

Well we all had stars in our eyes in the 80s.
Eamonn Turner
7   Posted 11/01/2011 at 09:22:14

Apparently he's looking for an investor in the great beyond.
Eamonn Turner
8   Posted 11/01/2011 at 09:23:02

Sorry nice article though Larry. It's always good to see a blue where you don't expect it. I also think there is more of an Everton "global brand" that could be exploited more.
Colin Potter
9   Posted 11/01/2011 at 09:51:23

Great stuff Larry, don't forget to let us know of anybody else you come across.
Charles King
10   Posted 11/01/2011 at 10:40:46

Same here Larry.

I'm slightly ashamed how it taints my opinion of people, didn't have much time for Amanda Holden till I found out she was a blue, ditto other celebs.
Even Derek Hatton gets a more tolerant response than he deserves because he's a blue.
Conversely, Jim Royle and his missus belong in the twat category because they're red, even though I like the program.
Shameful behaviour but true.
Brian Denton
11   Posted 11/01/2011 at 11:07:16

Unfortunately it's quite difficult to find a fictional character from Liverpool who is a Blue. I don't know how much of that is down to the Bleasdale/McGovern influence, or whether it's just lazy scriptwriting.
Nick Entwistle
12   Posted 11/01/2011 at 11:15:19

One of Harry Enfield's Scousers was a blue, but I guess that doesn't count.
Tony McNulty
13   Posted 11/01/2011 at 11:25:32

Eamonn - Infinity and beyond. I always thought it was Destination Kirby.
Tom Campbell
14   Posted 11/01/2011 at 12:34:10

Larry Boner?
Mike Hughes
15   Posted 11/01/2011 at 14:59:23

It's funny how views of people change based on Blues or RS.

John Major's son James is an Evertonian strangely.

I also have a tendency to lump serial killers and kiddie fiddlers in with the RS.

I can just imagine Fred and Rose West and Gary Glitter standing side by side on the kop at some point in the past. The Yorkshire Ripper had a tache and gobshite perm so he obviously had a red shell suit hidden away somewhere.
Mike Hughes
16   Posted 11/01/2011 at 15:20:08

#11 Brian - even Bill Kenright was a red in The Liver Birds. I remember watching it. Later heard an interview with him where he tried to get script changed but they were having none of it.
Brian Denton
17   Posted 11/01/2011 at 16:40:55

Mike, I hope your post #15 is never seen by our loveable neighbours - although it made me laugh, it takes Bitter Blueness to new and dazzling heights!

I bet that Hitler was a Kopite too,,,,,,,,
Mike Hughes
18   Posted 11/01/2011 at 18:10:40

yep......Hitler......and Les Dennis.

Need I say more?
Jon Cox
19   Posted 11/01/2011 at 19:11:22

Nice one Larry, enjoyed that. There is of course a rumour going round that a young chap called Rooney is an Evertonian.

Apparently his favourite program was

The pie at night with Patrick Moore
Mike Hughes
20   Posted 11/01/2011 at 19:56:34

Jon - wasn't it "Stars in their pies" ?
Jimmy Changa
21   Posted 11/01/2011 at 21:53:13

Haha go 'ead lad
Zack Yusof
22   Posted 12/01/2011 at 03:02:00

Eamonn #8 ? you're not wrong about Everton having the potential to be a global brand. Here in Malaysia, there's even a supporters club.

Here's what they had to say for themselves: "We have an official Everton Supporters Club in Malaysia that is extremely active. Our folks meet for every game telecasted and also for other get togethers ? football game, 5-a-sides, barbeques, etc..... Enclosed a photo of the Malaysia Everton supporters hanging out with 3 Everton youth coaches recently at the Rajawali Sports Cafe (our official hangout and clubhouse) in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia after a training session with them. We also recently had a Everton vs Liverfool game, where we kicked their butt! Nick and Ivan can send you more details on our club and where we meet etc. We are constantly featured in local newspapers in Malaysia and look forward to hanging out with the Everton team (and hopefully meet Moyes for some time) when the team come to Thailand to play some pre-season games there."

We are everywhere!!!
Eamonn Turner
23   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:20:23

That's great, Zack, and very nice to see you gave the red shite a hammering, hopefully we get the same result this weekend. Without doubt the club could be more ambitous on a global scale, the EPL is massive and Everton are a significant part of it.

Keep flying the flag, Zack. COYB.
Michael Brien
24   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:03:17

As the article shows and also Zack #22 there are Evertonians all over the World. Perhaps the club doesn't know just how much of a "global brand" we actually are. It seems that it needs the fans themselves to promote these links with Evertonians abroad, unlike some other teams where the club themselves are more directly involved.

As a slight digression ? I know we like to have a little dig ? okay a big dig ? at our dear neighbours re supporters from Norway. I was at a match at Goodison about 7 years ago when I saw a couple of guys wearing Everton T shirts with the legend ? "Everton Supporters - Norway". So the other lot haven't claimed Scandanavia yet!!!