Members:   Log In Sign Up

Money

I have made it clear over time that I support the Club and the Manager. I want them to do well and don't agree that any other view is right.

The last few weeks have been thinking about two things:

1) Money
2) Tactics/Plan B

I have supported 4-5-1 even 4-6-0 as they have a place. But, as has been well documented on here, while they work at Citeh away, the plan B aspect seems to be devoid of dealing with well set-up teams at GP.

So, money... Seems there is none, why oh why? But more particularly, what about dealing in the market?

I just read elsewhere (where is there?) that Spurs want Pip... Chelsea want Pienaar... The Arse want Jags. This has got me thinking... Suppose we sell a load of players and buy in some new bods, carefully chosen by DM and the crew ? where would we be?

"A load of players" you say? Well, Jags to Arse £10m, Johnny to ... £at least 6m, ex-King Louis (don't get carried away by two goals) to France £anything; Pienaar, £anything; throw in Vaughan and Victor (£30k pw... sorry, that is per week!). Add in Pip (anything) the Yak (who sadly is either not interested or finished) and suddenly there is a few quids to play with. Remember that JYs deal with the Turks is money due in.

So it's not quite the doom and gloom, aside from the CB cover, and Wheater seems to be the chosen one, I have no idea how good he is, then from the above, at no real expense to the squad, a real few quid can be raised.

So, my conclusion is that while i support the club and the Manager, i feel that with tinkering with the squad there is plenty of scope to improve performance and style of playing at little cost (net) and I look forward to you all agreeing with me.

Ian Smitham, My house at the bottom of our street     Posted 10/01/2011 at 23:39:53

Comments

Christopher McCullough
1   Posted 11/01/2011 at 05:02:47

I've written previously on the club'sevaluation. My use of the word was interpreted the wrongly. In my view, money is over valued, it is not a panacea for incompetence. Everton's values are psycho-emotional first and foremost. A critical and attacking mindset is the premise for EFC's success. The chairman is inappropriate.
Jason Heng
2   Posted 11/01/2011 at 05:09:01

Why do people always find despair in existing players, and hope in new ones?

Oh! That's because do people always find despair in existing players, and hope in new ones.
Brian Williams
3   Posted 11/01/2011 at 06:17:28

Ah!.. a philosophical thread.

Wasn't it Duncan Ferguson who said "I think, therefore I am?"..or was it some French bloke?

If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

It does actually, because I set up some sound recording equipment to check this out. It makes exactly the sound it would have done had someone been there to hear it.

Benilyn...isn't life wonderful?
Steve Pugh
4   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:33:13

I think the main reason DM doesn't trade in players is because, in his opinion, he won't get anyone better for the money.

Can you imagine the uproar if hesold the afore mentioned players, got in lower quality replacements and we got relegated.

Also don't forget that if the sales valued £20m DM would probably get £10-12m
Alex Highton
5   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:08:32

Duncan Ferguson said "I don't think therefore I headbutt."
Chad Schofield
6   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:28:26

"I want them to do well and don't agree that any other view is right." So basically you're saying that you won't listen to anyone else's ideas? The rest just seems mental to me... basically sell everyone we can and reduce the squad of experienced players - but you may have stopped reading now.
Shaun Brennan
7   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:48:04

Ian whilst you may be an advocate of the 4-5-1 or 4-6-0 approach, different teams we come up against require different tactics to play against. Sadly Moyes is "one rule suits all".

I don't doubt that money is half the problem. But with what we got, it's good only if we the manager gets them playing together in a formation that works.

I certainly believe we would be higher up the league.
Alan Clarke
8   Posted 11/01/2011 at 07:53:19

I think Moyes needs to play the market better. He needs to prioritise which positions he needs to fill the most. In the summer we had Distin, Heitinga, Jagielka, Yobo, Hibbert, Neville, Duffy and Rodwell who can all play centre half. Up front we had Saha, Yakubu and Beckford as well as Vaughan and Anichebe. None of those strikers would get anywhere near the teams around us.

It would have made sense to sell Jagielka to Arsenal and buy a striker. But that's not Moyes' way. Moyes loves defenders and defensive midfielders who can also play right back. That is always his priority in the market. There is a lot of deadwood in our squad right now, players who don't want to be there or players who just aren't good enough. I hope come the summer Moyes will have realised this and learns to play the market better.
Ian Tunstead
9   Posted 11/01/2011 at 08:37:04

What a stupid post. To make that many changes to a side in such a short space of time would be suicide, how do you know all of the replacements are going to hit the ground running or be as good as the players we already have?
Rory Slingo
10   Posted 11/01/2011 at 08:37:52

#3 Brian, since you set up the recording equipment you were there by proxy, therefore the trees still made a sound.
Tony J Williams
11   Posted 11/01/2011 at 08:56:57

Brian, were they the new Norweigan Blue Pine Trees?. Sneaky little bastards them, you probably recorded a recording set up by them.

Eight players out in fail swwop, fantastic managerial skill that, and with todays market we could probably get in two or three with the money made. Our paper thin squad will now become like tracing paper.

Alan 7 on paper 5 forwards should be sufficient but you can bet that if Moyes had his way ie had some wonga, he would be looking for the immortal right winger and striker. The problem is that when he had some money from Lescott, he had a week to spend it and I imagine there were no suitable players available.
Phil Bellis
12   Posted 11/01/2011 at 09:21:22

Brian
That was Popeye the Sailor Man
David Thomas
13   Posted 11/01/2011 at 10:21:41

"I feel that with tinkering with the squad there is plenty of scope to improve performance and style of playing at little cost (net) and i look forward to you all agreeing with me."

Since when is selling 8 players tinkering with the squad. That is a mass overhaul. Bit of a silly post.

Michael Kenrick
Editorial Team
14   Posted 11/01/2011 at 12:26:42

Sorry... bit slow getting the Pip thread up. I was in a state of disbelief when I heard the rumour...

Please use the next mailbag thread to talk about Pip leaving.
Mike Allison
15   Posted 11/01/2011 at 12:53:37

Loving the Red Dwarf reference Phil.

Sound is a phenomena that takes place in the mind of the perceiver - 'qualia' in the technical term. So if no-one was there to hear it, including animals or proxies, then it doesn't make a sound, it merely creates the vibrations that would become sound if interpreted by the right set of organic equipment.
Brian Williams
16   Posted 11/01/2011 at 13:46:14

I want to marry Mike Allison....and I'm not even gay!
Karl Masters
17   Posted 11/01/2011 at 16:52:00

The transfer window throws up all sorts of silly rumours like the Neville one ( not that Spurs were interested, but that it was a done deal - ridiculous to even contemplate Moyesie letting him of all people go to a close rival ) and clearly people lose their sanity in it all.

Sell 8 players?

Buy Wheater?

Same sex marriages for heterosexual fans?

Remote control forestry?

Hmmm....
Guy Wilkinson
18   Posted 11/01/2011 at 16:58:13

Yup great idea Ian.

I've just spotted 1 small flaw in the argument....... and that is that Wheater is shit
Christopher McCullough
19   Posted 11/01/2011 at 17:01:25

I imagine the conversation went something like:

Levy: "Neville did a good job on Bale, tonight."

Bill "Yeah."
Jamie Crowley
20   Posted 11/01/2011 at 18:19:44

Mike A:

"it merely creates the vibrations that would become sound if interpreted by the right set of organic equipment."

Ergo, sound does not exist by definition. It's merely an interpretation of vibrations...that we've slapped a label on so we can "describe" it.

I have to say, I'm really kinda thrown by that. Never thought of it. You're invading my comfortable world Mike - don't make me think. Probably why I never once took a Philosophy course....

Concrete is good. Ambiguity is bad.

Everton is good. Liverpool FC is bad.

Keep it simple.
Brian Williams
21   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:44:50

Oi! Jamie (#20)....I saw him first, now butt out!!
David Ellis
22   Posted 12/01/2011 at 09:29:41

From dubious beginnings this post has become rather entertaining.

We have made a purse from a sow's ear.

Bit like Moysie (sometimes).
Gerard Carey
23   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:38:09

Jeez!, trees forests organic equipment, getting worried, derby only days away, whats going on??!!