Goodbye Pienaar...

So it appears Pienaar has finally decided to leave.

Personally I think it's the correct decision to not offer the £70k per week he will be getting at Spurs. Skillful player but final ball and shot usually always lets him down. Can easily be replaced as he flatters to deceive most of the time. Fondest memory was the goal against Arsenal.

James Stewart, Leeds     Posted 11/01/2011 at 20:50:42

Comments

Mark Mellor
1   Posted 11/01/2011 at 21:47:18

Well, I'll miss the little bugger.

Bily the replacement on the left? Gueye?

Kunal Desai
2   Posted 11/01/2011 at 21:47:26

Aside from the money he also wants CL football which we're not in a position to offer him. Use the money aside to get another striker in on loan. Two bodies down already if Yakubu moves to Leicester tomorrow as expected.
Christopher Marston
3   Posted 11/01/2011 at 21:59:17

Redknapp should be reported for constantly lacking respect for other teams' players. He's always saying this and that about how good a player is and how he would like to see them at Spurs. The FA need to charge him with some sort of gross misconduct!!! And as for his steadily uglifying son tapping up Beckham for him in a toy shop!! Bloody hell!!!
Andrew Bankes
4   Posted 11/01/2011 at 21:58:27

At least we won't be missing half a team next time the AFCON comes around....
Rob Magee
5   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:02:16

Great one game, horribly infuriating the next. Not worth a long term contract on £70 grand a week, and certainly not as good as HE thinks he is. Thanks for your service peanuts can rarely fault your effort but suspect you may be headed for a stint on the bench at Spurs. Hope you enjoy your front row seat watching CL football.
Charles King
6   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:04:52

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago people were believing his guff about staying, what a laugh!
Andy Codling
7   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:14:21

"Can easily be replaced"???????? With what?
Andy Mack
8   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:15:02

A real shame as with Coleman one side, Pienaar on the other we were looking almost balanced (like when Donovan had his stint) and harder to snuff out and maybe most importantly, entertaining. Maybe Bily or Gueye or AN Other can step in.

Only wish those doing the finances had the acumen to have him tied to a contract where we were rewarded for his worth (bearing in mind Spurs paid £17mill for Bentley) he's a far better player than the one we bought from Dortmund for £2m but we're not going to see any of it; no wonder we are perennial skint.

Sam Hoare
9   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:29:26

Yeah, disappointed but not gutted.

Now if we lose big Fella for free in 3 years time then I would be gutted!

Be interesting to see who gets the left wing role. Not sure it's where Bily will prosper. Maybe time to unleash the secret 'guy'.
Jamie Sweet
10   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:19:26

I'd take the £2M now if that is an option as reported. If we were pushing for a Champions League spot I would have said hang on to him for as long as possible, but we need all the money we can get. Obviously disappointed, but that's football. Fair play to him, he never looked like he gave us any less than 100% this season.

I just hope that Moyes can find a decent replacement. I'm not sure Bily is the answer, and I really hope that Moyes doesn't see this as a way to squeeze Osman back into a regular starting slot. Having said that, he looked pretty useful there against Birmingham!

See you, Peanuts, hope to see you doing a fair amount of bench-warming, thus adding to the picture Lescott helps paint that leaving Goodison isn't always the best thing for your career... even if it is bloody good for your bank balance!
Christopher Hughes
11   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:31:21

I totally agree with Rob Magee (5), I could never fault his effort but he never scored enough goals for someone who is supposedly creative.
Scott Ellis
12   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:31:24

Personally, I'am gutted, he works his socks off every game and his link-up play with baines is fantastic for the team.

At this moment in time, we can't replace him.
Dermot Ryan
13   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:36:32

He did have a terrific partnership with Baines. I think he is a real talent and always showed great industry. That said, I think we'll be able to push on without him. I think he made a great contribution to the team while he was here.

I think we should sell now, however. I just don't think his contribution in this particular half of the season is worth £2 million. We need money to secure some kind of scorer. And as people pointed, Pienaar just isn't a prolific goalscorer.
Michael Jennings
14   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:40:30

If this is true, it must be a deal for January not the summer and we'll get a fee as Spurs are not a foreign club. This means they can't sign a pre-contract with him now, doesn't it?
James Royston
15   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:33:43

Writing was on wall when he was "rested" on Saturday rather than be cup-tied? Typical of today's footballers ? forgets where he was going before we took him on. Everyone can be replaced, so take £2M or more now (we get what we paid back) as he won't be welcome or wanted for the rest of season.

I think he will fade away at Spurs. I agree that Harry" and his loathsome posing family should be done for poaching...

Bye, Pienaar... but like many before you we had the best and the grass is not usually greener over there....

John Ford
16   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:35:20

On balance, I'm dissapointed. He's part of the reason Baines is so effective so I hope we can do something to prevent any knock on effect.
Aiden Doyle
17   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:32:32

I was under the impression that soon-to-be out-of-contract players were only allowed to have discussions with clubs from other leagues at this stage of the season. Presumably these talks must have been:

a) sanctioned by Moyes;
b) in breach of UEFA regulations; or
c) the usual newspaper nonsense.
Jimmy Hacking
18   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:45:12

A good Everton player and a great signing for £2 million back in 08, will be sad to see him go but he is far from irreplaceable. And I agree with the popular argument on this website that he didn't quite produce enough goals and assists for an attacking midfielder.

I don't bear him any ill-will though, don't believe his conduct has been poor. As a farewell gift we should all chip in and buy him a nice comfy cushion to sit on while watching Spurs play.
Timmy Hill
19   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:42:39

Sad news, really - good player, hard worker, seemed like a decent bloke. (Wasn't really in to all of his God-bothering, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose.)

Didn't score enough goals, and physically found it difficult, I think Pienaar might be one of the frailest players in the Premier League. (Maybe it was growing up during apartheid South Africa.) But we'll miss his creativity, definitely. He and Baines often look as though they're the only ones who really get it (in a footballing sense.)

What's more frustrating, though, is that Tottenham don't need him. I mean, they really don't need him: Modric, vDv, Bale, Lennon, Palacios, Sandro, Huddlestone, Jenas, Giovani, Kranjcar, O'Hara, Townsend. Where does he fit in? It's just a display of dick swinging from 'Arry: we'll have Pienaar, and pay him £70k a week, just because we can. Money talks, eh?
Mike Rourke
20   Posted 11/01/2011 at 22:36:39

I'll get over it... (as long as we bag the £2million right now).
Jamie Tulacz
21   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:02:07

Don't know if anyone spotted, but the Guardian article also mentioned the Yak on loan to Leicester? I think he's had plenty of chances to prove his fitness and hasn't been able to do so for over a year now.

For me, maybe Arteta on the left if/when Pienaar goes, maybe even Osman who's done a decent job there in a couple of games.
Andrew Laird
22   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:10:47

I thought that he could only speak to non-Premier League clubs this January... or did I make that up? Can someone enlighten me?
Christopher McCullough
23   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:13:46

I'm gutted.

Can no-one else see the club strategy here?

Release propaganda on the brave refusal to sell Phil Neville. "Harry, spout some shite all over SkySports to cushion the blow. Would ya? Good man!"
Paul Traill
24   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:35:08

I'd take the money now myself, who knows what Moyes might wheel and deal and Pienaar might become a bit of a distraction if he stays around 'til the end of the season. Bily is probably about ready to step up I reckon.

Otherwise, is it just me that's a bit concerned on how today's events might impact on the derby? I mean it's not ideal preperation losing Pienaar, Neville being tapped up, Yakubu going out on loan and Cahill not being around...and it's only Tuesday!

I hope Moyes has them focused.
Ernie Baywood
25   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:39:16

I'm gutted too. Don't get me wrong I can see his limitations, but I also see a bloke who ran his heart out, threw himself into challenges, and was brave enough to play proper football. He was also the only guy who played a full 90 minutes in that embarrassing home defeat against Arsenal. He chased, and chased, and chased that day when everyone else had stopped. I'll always have time for someone like that.

Certainly doesn't go into the Lescott category for me. Good luck to him, though I think he's made a bad decision for us and for him.
James Stewart
26   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:22:44

Don't think it's really fair to criticise Pienaar for fancying a crack at the Champions League. Good luck to him.
I get the impression he thinks he is better than he is.

As I said before skillful player yes but he is not anywhere near as dangerous enough as he should be. Osman has played very well against City and you never know Gueye might see more action now. Bily is not the answer however and needs to be played centrally.
Kevin Gillen
27   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:39:58

Totally gutted. Brilliant little player as talented as I've ever seen. Great in the middle, on the left or the right. Brilliant partnership with Baines and definitely a player of the standard required for CL football. What's more we got him for a song and paid him peanuts for the time he was here. It does make you wonder about Everton. Spurs paid 17m for Bentley and City paid a similar amount for Jo (before the arabs came in), neither of whom are fit to lace this lad's boots. I don't know how you replace a lad of his quality or professionalism. I can't understand the comments above, too many toffeewebbers play Fifa 11 or Football Manager - this is the world of real football not some virtual reality. To my mind we should sell all the people who don't put in a shift and pay this lad the money he is so obviously worth.
Max Fine
28   Posted 11/01/2011 at 23:37:02

Ah well. Disappointing to see any decent player leave, but can't say I'm too distraught. Seemed to have a good understanding with Baines, but for every hard-fought performance there were several more over / under-hit through balls, too many touches when less was better and an incomprehensible number of soft-as-shite shots at goal.

I don't think it's any coincidence that it took him to arrive at Goodison before his career appeared to be resurrected. As fans starved of seeing much in the realm of technical skill we worshiped his ethereal ability to run with the ball at his feet, despite the fact that he rarely does it where it matters: within 30 feet of the opposition goal.

So slightly gutted to lose his work-rate and his partnership with Baines, but not too concerned that Moyes can't find both attributes in a player who'll take considerably less than £70k a week.

And we are laughing if we get £2million (ie what we paid for him) for a guy that can leave for free in the summer. All we need now is for the media to convince someone else with more money than sense that Rodwell is a £30million player...
Aidy Dews
29   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:24:14

Bit gutted if true cos he's a good player but he must be going this month for some sort of fee cos can someone correct me if I'm wrong, he's not allowed to talk or agree anything with a english premier league club until the summer?.

I was under the impression he could talk to European clubs but no-one from the Premier League.
Jack Henderson
30   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:23:03

Take the money now I reckon. How about a gamble on Royston Drenthe? Great talent, lost his way a bit, once coveted by every big club in the land, looks a good match for our left-hand side, available currently on a loan-to-buy deal. Sound familiar?
Chad Schofield
31   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:38:19

I can't really argue with any of the comments above... Positive or negative.

I am sad he is leaving as I loved the energy he put in, the Baines partnership, etc. He does have many limitations though... Confidence not being something he lacks. He'll need plenty of it to shoehorn his way into Spurs starting XI though, but I wish him luck.
Paul Olsen
32   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:39:31

Bye bye Pienaar!

Like some others here I don´t really see why Tottenham need him (unless they plan on playing him in central mid)

He´s been a good player for us, but for me he tended to infuriate me just as much as he did impress.
Steven Pendleton
33   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:45:35

Great energy and effort for the cause but final ball is crap.

Great for link up play but can anyone recall the last killer pass he put through to one of our players?

Will he be changing his singlet underneath his shirt from 'God is Great' to 'Greed is Great' I wonder?
Santosh Benjamin
34   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:46:23

I am pretty upset that he is leaving to go to Spurs. I probably would have felt better if it had been to a club outside England. I have loved watching his link-up play with Baines on the left. I agree that he doesn't shoot enough and that he does at times seem lightweight but you can't question his hardwork and skill. When Arteta was out injured, he was really key in keeping some creativity in the team.

I agree that we shouldn't be held captive to the wage demands of players but I think he deserved at least what Arteta is getting. To lose him for either £2M or nothing really breaks my heart, especially when you see the absurd money that is being thrown around by City, Spurs and others for players like Bentley, SWP,etc. I hate greedy Harry and his overflowing midfield.

Jamie Sweet
35   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:49:45

Pienaar has one goal and NO assists this season. He can huff and puff and do a few bits of fancy dribbling all he likes, but if he's not scoring or creating goals as an attacking midfielder then is he really that valuable to the team?

In a team that is struggling for goals, he isn't exactly helping us out in that department!

Bainsey on the other hand has 7 assists. I would argue that his attacking play down that left side often makes Pienaar look good.

At least this is all what I'm telling myself now I'm resigned to him leaving!
James Flynn
36   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:25:48

Good guy and best of luck to him. Helped keep us at the "Punch above their weight" level.

He's out of one those terrible S. Africa slums. So God knows how many mouths he's feeding back home. He's one I can't blame for taking the money.

And I'll always believe he preferred staying. Here's hoping he gets a nice round of applause first time back to Goodison.
Max Fine
37   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:02:08

Kevin Gillen (27) - are you Steven's mum or his agent??! He's a confident, aggressive version of Osman (who I might add outweighs him vastly in the professionalism stakes, although admittedly comes out poorer on work-rate).

In any case, while I wish him the best, I don't want to see him in this weekend's Derby. He looked like he was trying too hard to impress his new boss last weekend, and had a poor game because of it. Goodness knows how he'd perform with those pound-signs and Champions League stars floating in front of his eyes...
Martin Faulkner
38   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:09:43

Is this the same "good guy" who was done for drink driving? Doubts around domestic violence?

While he put in a shift for us, he hasn't really made the difference in the final third this year; I think he'll struggle at Spurs because of his lack of pace, he'll be a stand-in for Bale at best, he would've been better suited to Italian or German leagues. I reckon we should make Spurs wait until after the Derby though and get £2-3M if possible.

As already mentioned on here, I think any agreement he's got with Spurs should be reported to the FA/Fifa as he can only negotiate with clubs from a different country at this point in time.

Kevin Tully
39   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:20:37

Shot on him that would be good in a under12's. Good workrate, tries too hard and loses the ball regularly. Nowhere near enough goals.

Greedy little fucker.
Ernie Baywood
40   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:22:35

How do we know that Osman outweighs him in the professionalism stakes? Its not like we're ever going to know if Osman wants to move to a bigger club.
Jamie Barlow
41   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:15:15

I like Pienaar, I think his work rate and ball control are superb, a real team player. What pisses me off is his final ball and his reluctance to shoot from anywhere. We'll miss him but not for long as I think Baines is that good he can play with anyone. We've also won more games this season without Pienaar in the team so he isn't irreplaceable. I also wonder when it was that "THE LORD" told him to join Spurs for "70 grand" a week.
Gavin Ramejkis
42   Posted 12/01/2011 at 00:52:04

We are that skint we can't even afford a single loan without getting shut of someone thanks to Black Bill's puppeteer so no surprise. Who will go in the summer is more worrying.
David Edwards
43   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:23:53

Good riddance ? I was a big fan, even in the early days when I praised his midfield contribution while others were uncertain. As soon as he stalled on the contract talks prior to the World Cup the game was up for me, and despite his useful team contributions this season, I'd have let him rot on the bench or in the stands, and started looking at future midfield options without the little mercenary.

Will we miss him? ? perhaps initially... but I think he is replaceable. Not enough goals, pace or stature ? he never quite reached the potential I thought he had at the start. Let's move on with players who want to wear the Royal Blue!
Jamie Barlow
44   Posted 12/01/2011 at 01:51:01

I also agree with Christopher @3. How does Redknapp keep getting away with tapping up other clubs' players? It's as if the media love him doing it. They blatantly ask him questions they know no other manager would answer. Can't stand the prick.
Martin Mason
45   Posted 12/01/2011 at 02:25:07

I agree with Dermot, he has been a great little player and forged a great left sided partnership with Baines. Good luck to him in his new venture.
Jason Lam
46   Posted 12/01/2011 at 02:29:56

Get rid now. No matter how many extra miles he'll give us, he's not pulling in the same direction as us. Not that his passes on the field had anyway.

I'll like a stronger player in left mid that can cover and provide outlet for Baines' runs and crosses. Can track back and tackle at leftback position if Baines becomes exposed.

Baines is why we prosper on the left.
Zack Yusof
47   Posted 12/01/2011 at 02:40:49

Can't see how Pienaar has been unprofessional in the way he's handled the whole move thing.

Basically, he wanted x amount, we weren't prepared to offer x amount so he's going. He hasn't mouthed off to the press, never went missing on the pitch... so, for me, it's a big "Good luck for the future, Steven; thanks for the memories. Just don't ever score or play well against us!!"

Would be great if we could get the £2M now though. A new pacy young winger would be nice...
Brian McGee
48   Posted 12/01/2011 at 03:42:05

Yes I'm sure James is of the same mindset as Moyes in that its ok to lose a quality player like Pienaar while retaining a complete no-mark like Phil Neville
James Hollister
49   Posted 12/01/2011 at 05:41:54

Not being funny, but I am doubting the veracity of this story in the media.

He isn't allowed to speak to any english domestic club while still in contract. He and Everton would be in significant break of UEFA rules. The only clubs he can speak to in-contract are foreign ones.

So this babble in the papers of 'potential' offer cannot be remotely true and is just tabloid trash. If it's not Daily Mail its the Guardian making shite up.

Not to say he won't go in the summer... but let's wait to see what he has to say to this speculation before we tell him to do one down the M1 to Spurs.

Neville as a smoke screen? I just think the media are as usual doing their transfer window fantasy posts because it's quiet on the Everton front.

The Yak going on loan might be a good thing... maybe the fat bastard can learn to get his form back along with the goals.
Brian Hill
50   Posted 12/01/2011 at 05:48:45

James @ 49, agree completely with your "tabloid trash" conclusion. Note there are no quotes from Pienaar, his agent, anyone at Everton or anyone at Tottenham, yet the Guardian claims to have definitive knowledge of this alleged transaction. Why does anyone believe anything that is written in any newspaper? The motives of the publishers are exactly the same as those of the much reviled Rupert Murdoch ? to tempt you to part with your cash. Truthful reporting is very low on the list of priorities.
Jack Henderson
51   Posted 12/01/2011 at 06:19:15

Some people on here have seriously short memories. Jermaine Beckford anyone? Any club is now allowed to talk to Pienaar, and agree a deal for him (just as we did with Jermaine) "in principle". However, if it's an English team who does so it isn't legally binding, and any English deal cannot officially be signed until his contract runs out. Agree with this complaining about Harry mouthing off though, the man is a tool.
Alan Clarke
52   Posted 12/01/2011 at 06:27:38

I think some of us need to get down off our high horses about 'Arry. It was widely reprted last January that we'd agreed a deal with Beckford and Leeds weren't happy about it.

The problem is if he doesn't go now, I can't see the Goodison crowd being too welcoming next time he plays. I think this Guardian article has been put out by Spurs to make us sell Pienaar now.
Dave Wilson
53   Posted 12/01/2011 at 06:37:47

A smashing little footballer, when Pienaar does eventually go, the quality of our football will take a nosedive.

Before you say "Good riddance" ask yourself what quality of player we will get with the difference between the £70k a week he's being offered to whatever (£60k?) Everton were offering.

Pienaar can be replaced, but it'll cost millions in wages alone and there will be no guarantees.

We will bargain hunt, sure we may save a few hundred grand, but we will be losing one of the best footballers we've had in 20 years... and some people are glad.

Some Evertonians are rejoicing at keeping Pip, advocating a starting place for Beckford and won't hear of Jagielka being sold, but the lovers of good on-the-ground football will be feeling pig sick.

Steve Carter
54   Posted 12/01/2011 at 07:03:38

Agree with those who say he blew hot and cold. Overall, too small and feeble for me, particularly against the better sides, and with him, Ossie and Arteta in the same side I thought we tended to get beaten up.
Dick Fearon
55   Posted 12/01/2011 at 07:16:46

Steve #53 ? Of the three you mention, it is a pity no-one ever shows interest in Ossie. I wonder why...
Guy Hastings
56   Posted 12/01/2011 at 07:46:26

He'll go for £2m, be in and out of the team, play a bit of Europa next season and then Pruneface will sell him for £4m to some Serie A outfit. As Baines seems to be doing it all himself these days, will we miss him that much? And at least it frees up a space in midfield for Moyes's Rodwell dilemma.
Mike Green
57   Posted 12/01/2011 at 07:43:45

Fuck him.
Brian McGee
58   Posted 12/01/2011 at 03:42:05

Yes, I'm sure James is of the same mindset as Moyes in that its ok to lose a quality player like Pienaar while retaining a complete no-mark like Phil Neville.
Marcus Kendall
59   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:06:44

Pienaar will be a loss but how huge of a loss is debatable.

He's coming up to 29 and he will be past peak soon enough so if we get in a younger replacement like Hammill from Barnsley then it may even be a good thing. Of course there's no guarentees someone like Hammill will do the business but Moyes has shown he works better with hungry players with something to prove rather than more established stars.
Paul Gladwell
60   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:12:08

I cannot believe some of the rubbish I am reading here. For christ knows how long, the only outlet we have had is down the left hand side and that left hand side has been recognised by the whole of the country.

Pienaar is worth every penny Arteta gets and just who do you all think we are going to replace him with, a rookie french kid who Moyes seems to not rate, or that waste Bily? ? who yet again proved to be the only one on Saturday not arsed.

This is a bad loss and if we are prepared to offer Arteta that wage or Anichebe £20k rising to £30, then Pienaar should have been offered the extra to stay.

It takes how long to find something that works well and we have that down the left hand side. Remember what we had before him? We have suffered with playing Osman enough out wide and you can bet your life he will be the one who shall fit in there.

Andrew Sutcliffe
61   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:47:05

Just a thought... Maybe after all the last minute wrangling by Spurs in the summer to get Pienaar, Moyes was well aware that he would be gone in January as it looked like Spurs would not give up.

Now I might be giving our Manager a little more foresight than others might like, but maybe this is where our "Secret Weapon" comes in.

Maybe Moyes was keeping Gueye fit and rested for most of the season, playing him in the reserves and cup games for him to get a taste and experience of what was needed come the second half of the season and the run in for European places?

Was not playing Gueye a ploy to keep him fit and underwraps so come January when Pienaar did eventually go, he could unleash him on unsuspecting full backs?
Andy Mack
62   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:52:25

Or maybe Moyes has truly got the hump with our ANC players? Sorry to see him go, especially on the eve of the Derby. Ah, the Everton Way.
Jonathan Tasker
63   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:51:34

Could someone please explain why EFC choose to pay Arteta more than Pienaar supposedly wants?

For me, Pienaar has done a consistently good job whilst Arteta has only ever been a flat track bully, incapable of putting on a performance against the big teams.

Let's not go overboard on Pienaar; he has done brilliantly for us and was an astute buy. But footballers are very much mercenaries now. The days of Brian Labone and Gordon West are long gone.
Kenny Patto
64   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:46:40

Sad to see him go but I think he's making a bit of a mistake going to Spuds, I really can't see where he would fit into the Spuds team. But I'm sure his 70 grand will keep him happy. Will go on to prove like other that left he was made by the Everton support he got, hope he turns into another Barmby. Number 11 for Hull City: Steven Pienaar...
Brian Price
65   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:43:05

MASSIVE BLOW! He may not be the one with the assists, but how many times has he fed Baines et al in to make an assist! Pienaar is class and will be sorely missed. He definitely gives us balance and creativity.

'Arry has said that Bale will revert to LB eventually and I can see it happening if/when Pienaar goes there. Certainly wouldn't look forward to playing against that combo ? considerably stronger than Ekotto and Bale.
Marcus Kendall
66   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:59:48

I don't think Pienaar would stay even if we offered him parity with Arteta. I have the feeling he sees Tottenham as his passport to Champions League football.
Brian Lawlor
67   Posted 12/01/2011 at 09:02:48

His agent had agreed a deal with Spurs 6 months ago.

I'd have preferred it If he stayed but I really don't believe its a big loss. Look at his goals and assists return since he's been here it is far from impressive.

KPR Williams
68   Posted 12/01/2011 at 08:29:19

He's an attacker who poses no real attacking threat, goals and assists virtually zero. His pace is limited and he is very lightweight. In the derby last year he was marked/kicked out of the game by Carragher!!!

He won't get a look in at Tottenham...
Everton will be the highlight of his career...
Take any money and file under 'enigma'.
Jamie Morgan
69   Posted 12/01/2011 at 09:28:02

Playing Osman on the left will be like a new signing!

Seriously though I believe the success of the left side is purely down to how bloody good Baines is. It is him that has the final ball, the goals and the assists. Pienaar just helps it link up a bit.
Personally I would love Chelsea to pay £3M now and fuck saggy faced Harry right off!
Paul Olsen
70   Posted 12/01/2011 at 09:43:25

#62

Maybe because Arteta when on form is actually capable of scoring AND creating goals?
Tony Waring
71   Posted 12/01/2011 at 09:56:19

We'll miss him in the short term for his energy but as has been pointed out we've never had the goals you might expect from a midfield player and I reckon Baines can play with virtually anyone. I don't know if Bily is the answer although he is skilfull and I've never seen Gueye play ? is he predominantly left sided? Someone mentioned Drenthe who looked like "the business" a couple of years ago (was it European Championships?) but is now a Real Madrid player and currently on loan at Hercules. Why can't we get Krancjar on loan in return ? now he's proven.
Stephen Kenny
72   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:05:15

I'm gutted too. Don't get me wrong ? I can see his limitations, but I also see a bloke who ran his heart out, threw himself into challenges, and was brave enough to play proper football. He was also the only guy who played a full 90 minutes in that embarrassing home defeat against Arsenal. He chased, and chased, and chased that day when everyone else had stopped. I'll always have time for someone like that.

Ernie, I couldn't agree more with that!
Sam Morrison
73   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:09:01

I didn't realise when he said it was in God's hands that he attended the holy church of Redknapp. I'll miss him but I won't miss his duplicitous, it's-not-up-to-me finance-based objectives.
Ray Robinson
74   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:07:53

"Can be easily replaced ...". Oh yeh, with whom?
Despite all the limitations mentioned, he has been a revelation for me. I wish the guy well but he may find Spurs is ultimately the wrong choice.

If we ever got into the CL (choke laughing!), we would need a few more players of Pienaar's ability.

Let's hope Baines can be as effective without him.
Anthony Hughes
75   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:25:54

A good player not a great player but will be difficult to replace as he slotted into our team set up. Considering our finances, I've no idea who could come in to replace him and I've yet to read of any real viable alternatives. I've not seen Gueye play so iI don't no if he's up to it but it doesn't bode well for the future when we're losing our better players and not building up the quality in the squad.
Alan Smeeth
76   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:09:14

We'll miss him as a player and his effort. But we have a lot of good midfielders. He plays well in the centre because he is'nt a real wide player, just a good footballer and always linked up well with Baines. But watch, he looks for him even when the ball is'nt on. Does the pass the ball to touch thing too many times. He should be just coming inside, shooting or laying off.

To put Ossie there actually scares me a bit.

Billy? No chance. Doesnt have the pace to play wide in this league. All his better work is when he's been more central, he wont get a look in there though.

Gueye? Has anyone really seen him play? I've seen him put in the best cross Goodison has seen this year onto Felli's head against Huddersfield. But that's it.

The fact Pienaar has not been an out an out wide player, just a link for Baines, is what has allowed Baines to emerge as a great fullback.

We will cope.
John Shaw
77   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:24:19

Gavin (42) - I couldn't agree more.

James (49) - What, you mean like last January with the 'rumours' regarding us and Beckford? I always thought that a player in this situation can reach agreement in principle but he isn't allowed to actually sign a pre-contract with an English club.

There are a lot of things I like about Pienaar, his workrate, his partnership with Bainesy, his constant movement, I've always questioned however the lack of real end product, his final ball and goal contribution is pretty poor for me. I'd also question just how committed he is likely to be for the remainder of the season, if this story is true and he has reached agreement on a deal with that underhanded gobshite Redknapp then I may be inclined to take whatever we can get for him now.
Brian Waring
78   Posted 12/01/2011 at 10:39:40

Can't understand all the greedy bastard, good riddance shite. All through his contract negotiations, he never once came out and slagged the club off, he just got on with it, always trying to give 100%.

At the end of the day, his contract was up, and he was trying to get a better deal, don't see the problem with that.

Agree with you Alan (#52) didn't we unsettle Beckford at Leeds, and they were far from happy with us. Also, I may be wrong, but didn't we poach a young lad from Leeds, that caused a bit of grief?
Sam Morrison
79   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:02:28

Good points, Brian, what I objected to though was not him wanting a move/more money but the innocence he maintained with the it's-in-God's-hands nonsense. You can be a practicing Christian and still take responsibility for your actions.

A small thing, I know, but slightly irksome to me.
Jimmy Hacking
80   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:05:49

I know its probably more "Tabloid Trash" but just read on the Daily Mail website that Chelsea will swoop with an instant £3 million and a loan signing or two to sweeten the deal! I'd like Didier Drogba please.
Liam Reilly
81   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:03:28

That's right, Brian; Luke Garbutt. Add Beckford to that and you can see why Leeds were pissed.

I like Pienaar's footballing ability, but he doesn't score enough goals for me. That said, we'll not replace him with £2M now, or nought in the Summer.

Still can't see where he will fit in that Tottenham side.
James Cadwaladr
82   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:13:11

Don't worry, lads, Osman will come in to replace him.

Great progress in the squad, Ossie played on the left about 5-6 years ago and we haven't moved on.
Gareth Humphreys
83   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:20:30

I think it's strange that we are letting him go but tie Arteta down to £75k ? in his years here, SP has always outshone golden balls.
Jimmy Saville
84   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:14:58

Perhaps, just perhaps we are missing the bigger picture here.

Perhaps Steven's aspirations are set a little higher than Everton's!

The club is skint. No chance of European football. Old stadium. No new investment. Blah, blah, blah!

The even bigger picture is who is next to want out? That's the really scary thing.
Jimmy Saville
85   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:22:44

There's no fixing this!
Anthony Millington
86   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:26:43

Pienaar won't get a game at Tottenham and he'll be lucky to get one Champions Legaue game before they get knocked out. We're losing two of our best players for next to nothing in Pienaar and the Yak. I wonder what Moyes will do with the money and if it's enough to sign someone, my guess is a loan deal.
Anthony Hughes
87   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:26:10

Not only will it be who's next to want out but who will we have to sell to generate summer transfer funds. It's a sad state of affairs when we're desperate to pick up a couple of million quid for Pienaar just to fund possible loan fees for players let alone transfer fees.
Andrew Laird
88   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:34:34

If the Yak is off to Leicester, the home of Pukka pies and a stone's throw from Melton Mowbray, he will certainly get fed there.
Mike Newhouse
89   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:03:43

If this is true, and as of yet it?s not on any 'reputable' site, I have my doubts it?s anything more than paper talk... but if it is true then I think that this IS a massive loss for the club.

Pienaar helps to make our left side effective. Bainesy is a class act and a real top drawer left back but his marauding runs and cracking crosses are only able to happen because Pienaar and his nonstop running are also there. Baines would not be able to get forward or cross so much if the link up between him and Pienaar was not so good.

Can you see Leon or anyone else in the squad having that understanding straight away? (not seen enough of Gueye to say but fingers crossed). The understanding of Baines and Pienaar almost reminds me of Cole and Yorke for Manure a few years back.

Billy is NOT the answer: he is not a left winger and playing him there will not get the best out of him, he plays in the hole behind the forwards or slightly left of centre mid (where I think he will eventually excel). Ozzy... well don?t get me started! Arteta can't play on the wings. (To be fair he can't play in the middle at the moment either but hey!)

I just think we will miss Stevie more than a lot think as his energy allows Bainesy to do what he does so well. Ah well, ramble over!

Colin Malone
90   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:50:30

He'll be sorry. Anyone notice when Pienaar is not playing, Baines has a stormer down the left?
Paul Johnson
91   Posted 12/01/2011 at 11:45:54

Let's be real here ? he is a mercenary and I don't think we will miss him. His work rate was excellent but so is Tony Hibbert's!!!

We must take the money now and get him off our wage bill. Add that to the Yak's wage bill and we can't be far away from having £100k to utilise for wages on someone who will a) want to play for us b) be fit enough to play for us, and c) stay around for a while.

Moyes needs to earn his money now and either go with Gueye and let him gain the experience he needs or motivate Bily into the world class player he shows glimpses of. As for playing him again this is not an option as one poor performance will impact on the morale of the team a la Joleon Lescott.

I don't think this will affect Baines as he is a great player because of his willingness to get forward at every opportunity, not because of Pienaar.

Steve Smith
92   Posted 12/01/2011 at 12:07:34

Guys not sure if this has been said earlier on in this thread but there is not one direct quote in the article actually regarding this so why is everyone so sure it has happened? Please enlighten me if I am being silly.
Norman Merrill
93   Posted 12/01/2011 at 12:03:39

I am sure "Arry" boy is working within the laws of the premier league, but he must be rubbing up opposing managers with his ovious tapping of players from other sides. I know within the game he has always been known as brown bag Arry, so I should not be surprised of what is going on.
Daniel Johnson
94   Posted 12/01/2011 at 12:13:08

TOTALLY GUTTED

Hes the type of player our midfield needs, he can play in a variety of positions and seems to fit into Moyes hardworking type of football.

Baines has shone because of the work Pienaar puts in infront of him, dragging away the fullbacks etc.

As our Squad is threadbare with quality to lose a player of his calibre for nothing is totally frustrating.

But its the Everton way......
Anthony Millington
95   Posted 12/01/2011 at 12:04:14

Spot on Colin, we seem to win when Pienaar doesn't play if you look at the facts. And people saying Baines can't get forward well without Pienaar should take a look at the assists and goals Baines has got when Pienaar hasn't played.
Larry Boner
96   Posted 12/01/2011 at 12:35:08

Pienaar is one of the best players in the PL and not cup tied for Europe and the FA Cup.

The best attribute Peinaar has, apart from his skill, work rate and team spirit is he never hides, never gives up, he can run the whole length of the pitch constantly, switching positions with Baines, covering his runs.

There are no other wide players that I can think of in the PL that have these attributes and when you allay them with someone like Baines, then you have an unstoppable pairing, witness the amount of assists coming down the LH side, Baines almost always played in by Pienaar.

I think Redknapp may be thinking of setting up his own Everton type left side with Bale dropping to left back with Pienaar ahead, with the forwards Spurs have then expect a lot of chances created down that side.

My opinion is, he will leave after the Derby, in time for the next round of the FA Cup. With Yakubu going with Pienaar, then surely Mr Moyes is clearing out players to be able to pay for wages of someone coming in. My choice would be Matty Jarvis or Nzogbia, but don't hold your breath.
Next season will be a watershed for Everton, clearly skint now, with gate and season ticket revenue almost certain to plummet due to the cuts biting. Tough times ahead, no doubt.

Paul Mackie
97   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:07:17

Can't say I blame the guy.

He's moving from a team with a stubborn, defensive focused manager, no chance of Champions League football and a stadium that's 30 years out of date to a team that can offer CL games and has plans for a brand new stadium on the go that puts even that BK fantasy version of Kirby to shame.

He's not an Everton supporter, he's just making a sensible career move. We should probably get used to it as Fellaini will probably do exactly the same.
Sean Stevenson
98   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:21:31

This does not make financial sense from Everton's point of view. The difference between £60k per week and £70k per week is half a million over a year. To buy someone of Pienaar's quality will cost 20-30 times that much, PLUS their wages. Who does the sums at Everton, they are not thinking straight.

Which brings me to the accounts for last year, usually out in November, have not been published and no announcement made. All companies have to publish accounts every 18 months at the very most so they have gotten away with it, but what are Everton hiding? There is no money for loan signings apparently ? how can this be given last year probably gave us our highest turnover ever? Let go of your toy, Bill, we need someone with business sense to run the club.
Aiden Jones
99   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:32:32

Larry ? you have to be kidding when you say he is one of the best players in the PL!! Yes he works hard but that should not disguise the fact he does not have what the top players have ? an end product... ie, a killer pass or even a goal.
Danny Broderick
100   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:24:43

Thanks for your service Steven. I have no gripe about him at all, he always gave his best and has been one of our better performers over the last 4 or 5 years. He is contractually entitled to go for nothing at the end of his contract, he is doing nothing wrong whatsoever.

My gripe over this is with Moyes. As a club, it never ceases to amaze me how little foresight we have ? remember the Gosling oversight also? Someone (Moyes) should have made a decision 6 months ago to put him on the transfer list if he hadn't signed a new contract. We are skint, and can't afford to allow our players to leave for nothing. We could have maybe got £8 million for him in the summer. Now we are only talking about £2 million. In reality he will probably go for nothing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but foresight is better. The same thing is happening with Yobo & the Yak. If a player isn't doing it, put him on the transfer list, don't loan them out to other clubs. Their value is diminishing the longer we keep them...

Gareth Humphreys
101   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:39:57

I agree, Larry.
Peter Warren
102   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:43:39

Terrible management. Yak, Piennar, Yobo and Gosling with some planning could have raised minimum £10m in the summer and perhaps as much as £20m. What a waste.
Brian Denton
103   Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:42:47

Best memory for me was his work in our second goal against Man U last season (Gosling's), and his sheer workrate in the heat of the semi-final against Man U.

Can't really blame him. Yes, we rescued his career, but there's no sentiment in football now. However, Everton's financial tactics have looked naive in the extreme. Like one of the posters above, I am getting seriously worried about our financial position.
Tommy Coleman
104   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:03:39

So Moyes wants to keep Neville (33 years old) but let one of our best players (28 years old) Pienaar go to Spurs? I don't see the logic in this?

Why don't we let Neville go to Spurs and let the little transfer fee and reduction from his wage bill pay to give Pienaar the deal he wants?

It's going to cost Everton the same amount of money so it depends on who you'd rather have over the next 4-5 years.

I'd know who I'd rather keep.

Joseph Strumm
105   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:46:05

Past his best, doesn't produce enough in the final third, doesn't shoot or score enough and is too weak, though still contributes more than the fading Arteta, I think Hleb from Birmingham City would be an excellent replacement, he's a very similar player, technically excellent and mobile, I think he'd slot straight in and be able to maintain the flowing football we've been used to down our left, if we could get the £2 million from Spurs then I'd throw it right at Alex McLeish.
Tony J Williams
106   Posted 12/01/2011 at 17:18:27

We all would rather keep Pienaar; however the problem is that he wants away and who could blame him. Our club has become an embarrassment. Teams coming up from the Fizzy Drink league have all outspent us. we have actually spent minus money in the last few years. Only spending what we get from transfers.

Rodders will be next along with Fellaini and as above I wouldn't blame them one jot
Tony Waring
107   Posted 12/01/2011 at 17:26:47

It's simplistic to say that Baines cannot function without Pienaar. Basically whoever plays the Pienaar role has to pass the ball to Baines who does the work of getting the cross into the box. It's not rocket science surely ? Of more concern is the financial state of the club. Incidentally one newspaper quoted the Yak on wages of £80k per week. This cannot be true ??????????? If it is we are going to have a small fortune in our piggy bank.
Eugene Ruane
108   Posted 12/01/2011 at 20:14:52

I believe we'll REALLY miss him.

Works hard, links up play very well, has a brain.

Many don't do well when they leave us, I think he will be an exception.

He's now set for life financially and as we've seen, when he's only got football on his mind, he can be a very effective player.

Whether he's worth £70,000 a week we can argue all day, but for me he's going because not because we don't want to pay him but because we CAN'T.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Yakubu so would not actually be too arsed if he goes, but I believe if he does, it will be a financial, not a football move.

That to me is the crime.

On here we (myself included) waste a lot of time discussing players and possible formations, who should come who should go etc, but the fact is for the most part we're pissing in the wind as who plays for Everton right now is basically dictated by how little we can pay them compared to other clubs.

When I think of Moyes, Kenwright and Elstone and transfer window time, I'm reminded of those juggling troupes who used to appear on the Royal Command performance when we were kids ('The Amazing Mingebags').

Moyes flings a large Yak up in the air and catches a Beckford, behind him, Kenwright and Elstone fling a small Pienaar up in the air and he... simply vanishes.

The audience, oddly, applaud furiously.
Jack Henderson
109   Posted 12/01/2011 at 20:50:24

People seem to be missing the point here talking about an extra ten grand per week. I understand he is currently on around 30-40 grand a week, so the difference is much greater. Also, after pandering to the demands of Jonny H and Arteta, how much would it cost them long term with the negotiations of fellaini, anichibe etc ongoing? How long before Jags comes knocking asking for £70-80 grand? The club had to make a stand. Sadly, i also agree with those saying that given the choice between 2 identical deals, he would sign for spurs anyway.

Tony above - in regards to Drenthe, he joined Hercules at the beginning of the season and has been getting good reviews. I believe they had an option to sign him at the season's end for around £3-4 million. Apparantly though he has only been paid once in 6 months and is about to return to Real. I was suggesting we offer a similar deal, though there are many interesting looking loan deals around at the moment. Shame we don't have the finances to take advantage.
Ryan Rosenberg
110   Posted 12/01/2011 at 23:16:01

Replacements..... Van der Meyde?
Ryan Rosenberg
111   Posted 12/01/2011 at 23:24:28

Yanga Vava
112   Posted 14/01/2011 at 15:25:49

Good bye, Steven... I'm totally gutted :-( ? wish you all the best. Just one wish ? leave us with a win on Sunday. Really can't believe this is happening... HE is really leaving!!!