Mbokani

Just wondered if anybody knows anything at all about this Mbokani bloke we are being linked with? Any one seem him playing? Does he look a worthwhile addition?

You may have seen this already, but this was on the Sky website:

Dieumerci Mbokani is reportedly set for a January move to Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim although the striker has not ruled out a move to Everton.

The German club are currently leading the chase for the Congo international despite firm interest in the player from Everton.

Toffees boss David Moyes is set to offload striker Yakubu to Championship side Leicester, allowing him to move for the Monaco forward.

Moyes is aware that a new striker would help take the weight of goals off of Tim Cahill with Everton scoring just 10 goals in nine home games so far this season.

Although the agent of Mbokani recently intimated that his client will not be moving to the Premier League, the 25-year-old has stated otherwise.

Mbokani, who has only found the net on one occasion this season, told skysports.com: "I am relaxed about everything and waiting to see what will happen.

"I want to play in a team who want me and there are clubs out there who are interested in me.

"Everton are an attractive team and the Premier League is a very good league, if not, the best league in the world, but let's wait and see what happens."

Sean Smythe, Cheshire     Posted 12/01/2011 at 13:14:44

Comments

Michael Kenrick
1   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:09:44

"Mbokani, who has only found the net on one occasion this season..."

Fantastic! I can't wait, the answer to all our prayers...
Brian Waring
2   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:17:08

Beat me to it Michael.
Dave Lynch
3   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:33:49

Apparently he's a hell of a channel runner though!
Erik Dols
4   Posted 12/01/2011 at 14:33:25

Sean, "Any one seem him playing?"

As a matter of fact, he played for Standard de Liège the past three seasons, and scored against us in the Uefa Cup tie at Goodison two years ago. So a lot of people here should be able to answer that question with "yes".

As I live close to Liège I sometimes visit Standard de Liège so I have seen him play more often than just those Euro-ties. First two seasons he was an easy goal-scoring forward, fast, most goals scored on the break. Last season he had a fairly indifferent season, seemed to want to get away already by then. I always rated Jovanovic (now warming the bench for that other lot from across the park) higher than Mbokani.

If motivated, he will do ok for us, but no more than that. He's a strong and fast forward, but no real target man. Play him on the break and he'll score goals in the Premier League, but don't expect more than that.

If we can get him on a loan to replace Yakubu I think it's ok, although I immediately would wonder why we just don't keep Yakubu in that case...
Sean Smythe
5   Posted 12/01/2011 at 15:12:38

Thanks Erik.
I obviously have wiped the goal he scored against us from my memory...
James Stewart
6   Posted 12/01/2011 at 15:38:36

As pointed out above he is quick. The kind of forward Moyes will like. Runs the channels but isn't really that dangerous can't say I am excited about this one
Charlie Dixon
7   Posted 12/01/2011 at 17:04:34

Even his YouTube video is dogshit.
Sam Hoare
8   Posted 12/01/2011 at 18:33:10

I remember him for Standard Leige against us and the redshite.

My impression at the time was that he was very useful. Quick, good touch, aware and seemed to know where the net was.

Not sure how he has fared since then (not that well it seems) but talented mid-20s players who have lost their way a little has been a good source in the past for Moyes.

I wouldn't say no to a cheeky loan.
Steve Edwards
9   Posted 12/01/2011 at 18:13:52

One of these days Moyes will sign a forward who is capable of playing up front in his beloved 4-5-1 formation. Someone big, strong, can hold the ball up, bring the attacking midfield into play and get his fair share of goals. He has stuck with 4-5-1 come hell or high water and he has never signed a forward who fits that role.

Judging by what we have just heard, this guy, Mbokani, will be no better than Beckford at playing up front on his own. Isn't being fast and running the channels what Beckford dose. If you can't hold the ball up and make it stick then it will just come straight back at you. Thats the main asset that you need to play up front on your tod. Davey it ain't rocket science... by the way, how much are they paying you?
Simon Jenkins
10   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:22:37

"Mbokani, who has only found the net on one occasion this season..."

Well, that makes him level with Yakubu then.

Let's be honest, we're not going to get a Lineker or Rush on a half-season loan in mid-season for a £1m loan fee, are we?

That said, his poor form doesn't automatically mean he'll be a failure. I recall Arteta coming to us on-loan, midway through a season from Real Sociedad, and he proved his worth. To similar extent (at least initially), ditto Kevin Campbell, who showed great goalscoring form in an even shorter space of time, after a torrid time in Turkey.
Jamie Sweet
11   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:29:25

I've done my scouting on YouTube (a medium which made Jo look dynamite), and he looks pretty awful to me. A distinct lack of technique. A poor mans Gyan.

He does look a bit jammy though, and we could do with some jam at the moment.

I would rather see Beckford given a longer run in the team as I still believe he could come good once his confidence is up.

Mbokani has a dodgy hair cut too, and I think there's already enough of those in the squad!
Joe McMahon
12   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:41:14

For a start, he'll have to get used to sitting on the Bench for 88mins, then get a 4 minute cameo. In this 4 minutes he'll be coming on when we are already losing. If he is lucky enough to start, he'll have 5 oppsotion playesr round him, with no support from either another striker or midfield.

It looks like Yak is off doesn't it, another established 20 a goal season striker ruined by Moyes awfull negative tactics.
Joe McMahon
13   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:44:45

I appoolloogiiizzzzeee for the typos.
Sam Hoare
14   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:50:40

Oh yeah Moyes 'ruined' Yakubu.

Not his career threatening injury that sapped any pace he might have had and did not combine well with his known penchant for a vindaloo or two.

In Moyes we... blame everything.
Steve Edwards
15   Posted 12/01/2011 at 19:51:31

One things for sure, he's ugly enough to play for Liverpool. I reckon on the looks side he'd give Tevez a run for his money.
Martin Handley
16   Posted 12/01/2011 at 20:35:10

Sam yet another apology for Moyes. Yes, he has ruined him he came back from his injury struggled for then found his form remember the derby and his goal against Stoke? Then Moyes promptly drops him for Saha! No wonder the lad would rather drop down a division and get a game probably scoring a hatfull into the bargain. And his replacement a 10-goal-a-season workhorse ? fucking marvelous!

As has been said by other posters on this article, stick with the 4-4-2 and let Beckford and Saha get and understanding maybe scoring a few along the way. But I bet if that happens good ol' Moysey will drop 'em and play a team full of midfielders! If we go 4-4-2 on Sunday we can wallop the kopites regardless of the return of King Kenny Dogshit!

Joey Brown
17   Posted 12/01/2011 at 22:13:14

Want him or not, if this work permit business is true AGAIN, why is Everton always fail to secure these players and then a year on they are here with another team. I'm really beginning to wonder if the FA just hates Everton for whatever reason.
Nick Entwistle
18   Posted 12/01/2011 at 22:22:13

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a failed-visa failed-transfer media stunt of past Januaries.
Paul Gallagher
19   Posted 12/01/2011 at 22:39:52

Wouldn't you think the club would have made sure we could get him before loaning out Yakubu? Absolute joke.
Kunal Desai
20   Posted 12/01/2011 at 22:41:40

Like Victor Obinna??? West Ham managed it. Ahhh well BK either didn't pay the telephone bill or has been not got a yellow pages in his office. Failing that he didn't have enough money for a work permit.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 12/01/2011 at 23:42:28

BK hasn't even got the money for a loan fee, never mind wages.
Denver Daniels
22   Posted 13/01/2011 at 05:36:30

Same shit, different day. He can't get a work permit as he hasn't played enough internationals for Congo over the past year.

Why was this not checked before pursuing him? Obviously we didn't learn from last year and the Obinna debacle.

I wonder who's next who we not gonna sign.
Brian Williams
23   Posted 13/01/2011 at 06:39:57

Only the papers have said we're in for him, and a couple of dozen others as well so far this month... and we (I use the collective term "we" loosely) have once again jumped right in, believed every word and started slagging our manager, our chairman, some of our players... so gullible!
Brian Williams
24   Posted 13/01/2011 at 08:28:30

..and another thing!!!!!!!

Even the Echo is jumping on the bandwagon of lazy hack reporting by printing (certainly in it's online version) the fact that we're in the running for the £20m rated Gary Cahill, as well as looking at a swap deal involving Pienaar and Keane..........

How a local paper, who must be well aware of our club's financial constraints, can print such utter crap (with regard to Gary Cahill in particular) is beyond me!

Anyway I've heard that Ibrahimovic is unhappy with things at his club and is looking for a move to a club near to Crosby marina, where he's just bought a £2m yacht.........so look in tonight's Echo for a picture of him holding up the shirt next to a beaming Davey Moyes.
Sam Hoare
25   Posted 13/01/2011 at 09:11:45

Martin @16

So he played one good game and got 1 goal? Well he must have been fully recovered and back to his prime!! Boo hiss Moyes out etc.

There's a reason only Leicester want him.
Chris Briddon
26   Posted 13/01/2011 at 09:26:21

Martin 16 - Yes he scored against Stoke and looked looked good against Liverpool, but you are forgetting the next game away at Blackpool where people who were there say he was back to his lazy best.
Plus anybody who saw the cameo against Spurs last week would realise he doesn't look like he can cut it in the PL at present so he needs to move on for his and our sake as he won't get regular games at Goodison at present.

I notice someone went back to the 4-4-2 argument again ? just watch the last 2 games again please. Beckford & Saha are playing the same roles that Cahill & Saha did ? the formation hasn't changed, just the personnel in it have!

Notice Coleman's goal at Scunthorpe came from a left-wing cross from ? Beckford, who spent most of the game out there!

We have a flexible formation where the forwards play in positions relating to the state of the game and who's in possession ? this hasn't changed in the last couple of games, but since we are now playing two 'forwards' (that is, they are listed in the forwards section on the website) then our formation has changed obviously!
Gavin Ramejkis
27   Posted 13/01/2011 at 09:39:44

Chris and you miss the obvious difference in formation that playing two strikers is very different to playing a striker and a midfielder as a striker, they have different traits and capabilities.

Cahill's main strength is ghosting into the area for headed goals from a cross and not picking up the ball and running past two or three defenders to shoot. Now that would be a striker, QED playing two strikers most certainly changes the formation and capability in the final third.

Brian Williams
28   Posted 13/01/2011 at 10:05:41

This is supposed to be a Mbokani thread...at least my posts had "some" relevance to the subject.

Stop highjacking posts to perpetuate your own personal crusades!
Andy Hegan
29   Posted 13/01/2011 at 10:43:14

Everton in work permit snag shocker!
Sam Hoare
30   Posted 13/01/2011 at 10:44:52

On the vague subject of Mbokani... I wouldn't be opposed necessarily but think I would prefer to see the £1m loan fee spent on some pacey young Championship talent. Hammill or Dale Jennings maybe.

I have a weird suspicion that Moyes may just pull something unexpected out of the magic hat... Cheap, no doubt, but unexpected nonetheless.
Anthony Millington
31   Posted 13/01/2011 at 11:01:48

No way, Sam, we've already got Beckford ? we need someone who is a bit more proven at a higher level. We need to bring a proper replacement in for the Yak or, if we cannot afford to, we should not have bothered letting him go.
Sam Hoare
32   Posted 13/01/2011 at 11:08:16

Anthony, when I said 'talent', I meant someone young with potential. Not like Beckford. Someone who is going to be able to offer us a little now and lot more as time goes on.

I would love someone proven at a higher level but I'm just not sure that's within our means is it?

I'd rather someone who we think could be really, really good in a season or two's time than someone who is going to be average now. It's not as though we have a huge amount to gun for this season. Apart from hopefully the FA Cup if we beat Chelsea.
Gavin Ramejkis
33   Posted 13/01/2011 at 11:12:18

I think what we are losing in Yakubu is a holding striker is great but whoever we get needs to be able to hold the ball up for whoever they partner so need some bulk with it.
Anthony Millington
34   Posted 13/01/2011 at 11:33:52

OK, I get your point but I'm a bit worried about who is going to get the goals until then. What happens if Saha gets injured? We don't have one proven goalscorer apart from Cahill who is not a striker. I'd like a young fast forward but I'm not convinced Jennings is going to be any better than Beckford or Vaughan either.

With our lack of funds, I'm not sure we should be splashing out on players with potential, we need someone that can come in and score goals. A loan deal is the most likely option.
Andrew Ellams
35   Posted 13/01/2011 at 12:44:11

I think this is the first transfer window in ages with no rumours about Lukas Podolski coming to the Prem on loan.

Anybody know where he is now? Is he playing regularly?
Phil Martin
36   Posted 13/01/2011 at 12:58:23

What about Jay Bothroyd, he's on a free in the summer? Could be worth a cheeky bid now.

OUT

Heitinga £6M
Yakubu £1M

IN

Lescott loan
Bothroyd £3M

or Wheater £2M
Mike Rourke
37   Posted 13/01/2011 at 13:01:02

I think the Home Office have done us a favour.

Hard to imagine Congo's number 3 striker (any ideas who 1 & 2 are?) igniting our season.

Anyway, I have it on good authority that a certain Mr Torres, having lived on Merseyside for a number of years, has become a blue through osmosis, this due to the fact that all his scouse amigos are obviously all blue too.

Expect a transfer request and loan arrangement to be hammered out by the weekend.
Jamie Tulacz
38   Posted 13/01/2011 at 13:53:08

Makes the Yak look positively svelte from the pictures I've found...

Surely we've got enough strikers who don't score goals already?
Drew O'Neall
39   Posted 13/01/2011 at 13:53:44

To answer Steve Edwards #9, I think this bloke is exactly the type of player that suits a 4-5-1 formation.

He's not much of a goal threat but he's a work-a-holic runner and will run into channels and hold it up a bit like Ricardo Fuller.

If Moyes insists on always playing 4-5-1 this sort of player (bit like Marcus Bent on a good day) might fit the bill but i'd rather have Ricardo Fuller any day.
Jason Heng
40   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:46:41

Why doesn't Moyes just give Vaughan a chance instead?!
Fran Mitchell
41   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:41:29

phil martin #36

Bothroyd? We already have Beckord...essentially the same player.
Also, if it's true he has only 6 months on his contract why do you propose we b id £3Million. If pienaar is only work £2Million due to his contract how the hell is Bothroyd worth more?

As for Mbokeni...if he came would probably get 6-7 goals, people would raving about him. Then next season after paying 3-4 mil he would be crap.
Steve Edwards
42   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:37:54

I've not seen the guy Drew (39). I'm only going by what others have said about him. If he can hold the ball up then thats what we need in order to play that system.

Interesting that you mention the much maligned Marcus Bent. Of all the forwards Moyes has bought, he was the best suited to play the lone striker role. I don't think it has ever been appreciated by Evertonians for what he did and played a massive part in getting us to that 4th place finish that year. I know his finishing was poor but his contribution to that 4-5-1 system was immense. Someone like him who could also finish would be just the job.
Chris Sillett
43   Posted 13/01/2011 at 18:12:41

Mbokani's own form has come in for criticism, with his only goal of the season coming against Lorient in September.

"I have had a difficult spell, it's true, but what footballer hasn't?" he continued. "The whole team has struggled.

"How can you judge me on 10 games? Also, I was bought to score goals, but in this system I have to defend a lot. Often, it feels like I am playing in midfield.

"If I continue to work like I have, you will see goals. I will score goals, here or elsewhere."

Those comments about being a striker and feeling like a midfielder rings a few bells....
Tom Bowers
44   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:22:56

The rumours will persist until the window closes and now that Yaks has gone for the season and Timmie gone we had better hope Saha and Beckford get better together. We can't expect much from Anichebe who seems to play a deeper role and Vaughan who is always injured.

If a striker is on the horizon then hopefully he will be here soon but my concern is cover at the back. Is Duffy considered a viable alternative yet by Moyes as we seem to be very vulnerable in the middle just now.

Jamie Rowland
45   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:50:34

I heard there where work permit issues. Can I ask why we always struggle with work permits but other clubs do not (eg, West Ham and Obinna)?
Jamie Rowland
46   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:52:59

I agree with Jason (40) - why doesnt Moyes give Vaughan a go? What's so wrong with him that we'd rather buy a player from an inferior league who is struggling?
KPR Williams
47   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:11:13

Is there anything official or is this media speculation? For me it's a definite no. For once I'm hoping the Home Office stick to their guns... We need somebody though, any other striker links... please... anything!!!

The Pienaar thing is dragging on and on and it's beginning to worry me. We need shut as the nearer it gets to the end of the window, the greater the likelihood he will be here till the summer, meaning zero money, granted he'll be running around, providing no assists and no goals...

Let a bidding war commence...

Fran Mitchell
48   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:40:37

Jamie:

Vaughan just isn't up to it.