Time to go for it

David Moyes has been Everton manager for 9 years now. In that time we have visited Anfield on 9 occasions, 8 times in the league and once in the FA Cup. His record is thus - Drew 4, lost 5??. won 0.

If you disagree, then please do, but for me, on every single occasion David Moyes has sent an Everton side out at Anfield he has had only one concern. Don?t get beat. It?s never worked.

The prime examples being two of those defeats have come against ten men. Last season, when Sotirios Kyrgiakos was sent off for the foul that resulted in Marouane Fellaini having to be substituted, be brought on a half fit Mikel Arteta. For me, it was crying out for a forward to be brought on and take the game to the ten men. We lost. Meekly.

Time for new tactics it seems, but due to ?King Kenny?s? return, many Evertonains have had some trepidation. We know the ?Famous Kop? (trademark: mass media) will now be in full voice. Their players will have a new sense of purpose, and they?ll come flying out the blocks on a crest of a new wave. Therefore, some fellow blues have stated we should revert back to the one striker and make sure we?re solid, don?t concede early, and then take it from there.

However, having watched them on a dodgy stream last night, they are shite. And I mean seriously shite. Nearly every pass going astray and showing no imagination by just lumping balls in the box, hoping for a defensive mistake. A midfield that looked all at see as Charlie Adam ran the game and a defence that look terrified every time Blackpool went forward.

Surely, surely, now is the time to go at them. Let them worry about us. For once send a team out at Anfield full of attacking intent and make them crumble. Time for us to get the early goal and put them on the rack. Watch on as Fellaini and Arteta destroy Lucas and Meriales, as Coleman takes the piss out of whatever crap left back they decide to play, and as Saha and Beckford take Agger and Skrtel to the cleaners.

Come on Moyesie ? let's fucking have them, these are shite!

It's time to go for it.
Adam Bennett, Liverpool     Posted 13/01/2011 at 10:10:38

Comments

Derek Turnbull
1   Posted 13/01/2011 at 13:58:52

One of the great results of Everton's since the war was this one from the 60s, yet it's the Alan Ball 1-0 match in the Cup that people seem to talk about more often presumably because we were at home. So anyone here remember this 4-0 win?

Apparently there was a song that commemorated this away win that mentioned Johhny Morrissey going down the wing, anyone recall that one?

Ped Pearl
2   Posted 13/01/2011 at 14:03:55

I shall ask my 'grandad' if he remembers it Derek.

However we should get ready for the Coleman song and maybe another win like that. Let's face it... they are shite. Truly the worst red team I can remember ? so I agree completely with Adam... let's that them to the cleaners!!

COYB
David Smith
3   Posted 13/01/2011 at 14:19:33

Just moved down to London, does anyone know of a Public House that won't be full of RS?
Norman Merrill
4   Posted 13/01/2011 at 14:18:28

Derek, I was in the Kop that day when we won 4-0. Cannot remember the song, but will always remember Johnny Morrisey, leading Tommy Smith and Co a merry dance.

Unlike today, fans could mingle and there was NO better place to be than among the hordes that stood on the Kop to celebrate a great victory.
Just hope history repeats itself on Sunday, but it's all down to us. We must turn up on the pitch, as we do in the shithole. and win.

Dave Charles
5   Posted 13/01/2011 at 14:52:42

Yes, come on Moysie and go for it. All this media shite in the papers and the radio (talksport mostly), would have us all believe there has been a second coming of the Lord.

Just walked through Stanley Park and some soft twat calling himself Kenny was trying to part the lake. Some one have a word with the tit and tell him and his followers that he's a meer mortal.
Nick Entwistle
6   Posted 13/01/2011 at 14:59:58

Trepidation? Makes it all the more desirable to push them further down the league.

David, no matter what bar you go in, it will be full of RS. But after we win, watch the full time desertion out of the door, it makes for good viewing.
Tony Christian
7   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:18:52

The ultimate acid test for Moyes. Surely there has never been a better time to put this lot to the sword? However this is David Moyes so expect Osman in a five-man midfield and Saha lone striker
Alex Kociuba
8   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:22:54

David Smith.. might be worth looking/asking here: http://www.escla.org.uk/
James Stewart
9   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:51:05

here here
Kunal Desai
10   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:55:07

It's now or never as the shite can only improve next season and will improve. Kick them Everton, KICK THEM HARD, whilst their down!! Hope Johnson again plays at left back so Coleman can run the idiot ragged.
Distin to keep ladyboy in his pocket and the rest are no match for us. Don't let the 3 points and the chance of a double slip away.
Brian Waring
11   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:54:11

I just hope Moyes doesn't bottle it, and return to his predictable tactics, of setting up not to get beat. If he does, this will just give the redshite a confidence boost.
Jay Harris
12   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:01:45

Derek,
remember it well.

We were decimated with injuries and the forecast was for us to get hammered.

I was glad I couldnt get a ticket till I saw the final score.

Just shows that anything can happen in a derby.

Lets go straight at them and get them nervous from the start although I would settle for another 4-4 with Queen Kenny resigning on Monday.
Howard Don
13   Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:51:05

Derek (1) Norman (4) I was also a kid on the kop that day. No-one gave us a prayer that day as we had several reserves in due to injuries. If I remember the opener was a screamer from outside the box Derek Temple?

Struggling with the 2nd para in the OP though. If Moyes sent out teams not to get beaten, and didn't get beaten 4 times then how is that failure every time. Doesn't make sense. That said I'd agree there's room for a more open approach this time so I'd stick with Beckford and Saha, keep them nervous at the back. However the trick with games like this is to take the sting out of the inevitable emotional atmosphere with whatsisface returning as the great Saviour. Quieten the crowd first and it doesn't take much these days for their team to get demoralised. Then they're there for the taking.

Mind you after my pre Spurs game comments blew up in my face I should get me coat now I guess.
Ray Roche
14   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:16:53

Howard Don (13 ) Derek (1) Norman (4)

I wish I'd been there. I had to work but got a ticket for the Kop for the following year and stood in the middle with a huge number of fellow blues, all waving four fingers...we lost 5-0.
Colin Potter
15   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:12:25

Derek Turnbull,
I was in the kop that day. Does anybody remember the big purple heart thatvthe rs stuck in the middle of the pitch? It was because a couple of our players(don't know who) had been supposedly caught with purple hearts,nothing was ever proven though. Johnny Morrissy scored the 4th in the kop end as well. That was one great day that was.
I know of the song, but can't remember it Derek.
Ian Mullin
16   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:23:52

Dont know how true it is but Ive heard that we are in for Chris Eagles. And hes at Finch Farm.
Peter Webster
17   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:21:47

Excrementa delenda est.
George McKane
18   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:43:04

I was in the Boys Pen for the 4-0, it was amazing. I'm sure Andy Rankin played as well ? West was injured and Colin Harvey scored ? what about a repeat?
Dave Wilson
19   Posted 13/01/2011 at 16:13:21

Results against top teams would suggest Moyes has long since moved on from his naive learning days.

Nothing wrong with his tactical nous now, just ask Ancelotti (never beaten him), Mancini (again never beaten him), Redknapp (whose been systematically batttered by him for 9 years) or SAF (6 goals last two games against him, not to mention a semi final).

Forget these flash-in-the-pan johnny-come-lately managers. The ginger fella has been to school and I`d back him against any of the top guys in a head-to-head... but can he win a street fight ?

The Orks are very very nervous, they talking amongst themselves about making this the most hostile atmosphere EVER. Make no mistake, Anfield will be on fire on Sunday; tactics and entreatment will give way to bravery and desire.

We face a wounded animal here... the crowd and the team will give it everything they can muster ? WE MUST DO THE SAME.

Forget formations and entertainment, a 1-0 win after a bloody war will do very nicely.

James Cadwaladr
20   Posted 13/01/2011 at 17:17:53

Theyll come flying out of the blocks on the crest of a new wave.

Just like they did against Blackpool!! Without Gerrard Liverpool are toss and they have no midfield.

Fellaini is key on Sunday if he plays where he should be playing and he stays on the pitch then for me I can see that victory you cravbe on the horzon.

Daft question but if you dont ask you dont get. Anyone got a spare? I was too late with my application.
Dave Charles
21   Posted 13/01/2011 at 17:38:15

Ian Mullin#16. I to have heard that rumour. You never know.
David Booth
22   Posted 13/01/2011 at 17:33:03

This is the game in which David Moyes defines his future at Everton.

We HAVE to go for a win on Sunday. Anything else is cowardice.

If we allow ourselves to be overwhelmed by the current Kop/media/King Kenny euphoria bandwaggon, we are admitting defeat before we start.

And if Moyes and our boys need any further inspiration, they ought to take a look at some of the moronic garbage being spouted on Gobshite websites like 'red & white kop' right now. It beggars belief.

They are there for the taking and if ever we needed to believe in ourselves and drop this perennial inferiority complex we seem to adopt so dutifully at Anfield.

Get out of the blocks first blues and give them what we gave them at Goodison.

It's the kick-start this season of ours has been waiting for and I'm sure that, like me, virtually every Evertonian, feels confident ahead of the game.

I so hope our manager and team feel the same way.

A scrappy draw is unacceptable and defeat is not even worth contemplating.

You have to go for it Moysie!

Andy Crooks
23   Posted 13/01/2011 at 18:23:21

Brian Waring, of course he will bottle it. Liverpool are there to be taken apart but they won't be. David Moyes, I'm quite sure, would take 0-0 right now.
Chris Sillett
24   Posted 13/01/2011 at 18:18:01

If Moyes can't get a win at Anfield this year, he never will in my opinion.

Come on Moyes, 4-4-2, don't be shit scared of them as we have been in previous years!
Howard Don
25   Posted 13/01/2011 at 19:09:12

Ian Mullin (16) here's more substance to that rumour.

KPR Williams
26   Posted 13/01/2011 at 19:14:10

Form goes out the window apparently... hope not.
Frank Duffy
27   Posted 13/01/2011 at 19:25:12

I was 14 when we beast the Reds 4 nil. Was brl and the Kop was ever so quiet. Went back with my sister the following year - in the Anfield Rd End. Can still see Roger Hunt scoring the 5th that end.

We should have played the provious years 'Reserve Team'.

Mind you another 4 nil will do very nicely.

Come on Moyes play to win and win very very well.

COYB
Jon Cox
28   Posted 13/01/2011 at 19:45:06

I hope you're right about Chris Eagles, great player and would fit nicely on our left.

Moyes needs to go for it from the off. If he doesn't then sad to say he is of no use to us.

The butterfies are cranking up.
Paul O'Hanlon
29   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:07:29

The Blackpool result may just of just taken the wind out of their sails.

If Blackpool can do the double over them, so can we! COYB!!!
Tom Bowers
30   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:04:42

Derek, I remember the game well. I was in the Anfield Road stand with my Liverpudlian relatives. They taunted us regarding the Tony Kay bribe scandal. We had Andy Rankin in goal and he had a blinder despite being flattened by Rowdy Yates. We were 3-0 up at half time and Morrisey scored the 4th in the second half. I also had a big win on the gee-gees and is another reason I will never forget that day. Would be nice on Sunday for another win of any kind. They are absolutely putrid at present but form usually means nothing in the Derby match as we proved on that day 40 yeras ago.
Brian Waring
31   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:12:20

I think one thing we have missed out, its how the players react on Sunday.
The redshite crowd will be up for this big style, especially with the miserable fucker back in charge.
You can imagine it will be full on from the Kop. I just hope the players don't let it effect them.
David Hallwood
32   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:16:30

I remember Eagles scoring a great goal against us when he was with Man U, has always looked a good player. Do for me if true
David Smith
33   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:45:10

Nick/Alex - cheers, I'm really looking forward to this one. I just hope we can stuff them.
Keith Slinger
34   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:49:02

Do you really DM is that fucking stupid??
Steve Guy
35   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:49:59

I'll probaly get this comment deleted for this but read the Blubber section on Bluekipper "gospel according to John Henry". It's piggin hilarious.
Larry Boner
36   Posted 13/01/2011 at 20:57:41

I have followed Everton for over 50 years, i was in the Kop for the 5-0 game and in the Gladwys St when they beat us again 5-0, if there is one common thread running through most derby games it is that almost always Everton will let you down, just when you think you have the upper hand.

I have seen Everton win at Anfield Road, maybe 3 or 4 times, ones that spring to mind, Sharpys goal, Kanchelskis double, Campbell and then Stevens in the League Cup. Apart from these I cant think of any others, although there must be more, surely?

One thing is certain though, Mr Moyes has never won at Anfield Road, with last season being the most sickening defeat I have ever had to endure in a Derby game, including the 5-0 games. Mr Moyes has the opportunity to destroy the myth surrounding Liverpool and Dalglish and their so called worlds best supporters.

Let's attack them, from the start, win lose or draw, dont walk out of that ground the way we did last season, as no hopers, as sideways passing cowards without heart.

We are better than them in almost every department, they are without their two rebel rousing scousers, go at them, their defence is their weakness and with an average goalkeeper they would be in the bottom 3.

Here is a chance to put them in a position they may not recover from, a derby loss against Everton on Sunday would really put the cat amongst the pigeons, they have their idol at the helm, lets show him to have feet of clay, Mr Moyes, dont make him the saviour they have been waiting for, win this and I will forgive you everything.

Jamie Sweet
37   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:19:10

Time for Beckford to silence his critics! I'll put a tenner on a brace for the lad.
Dave Lynch
38   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:10:39

If we batter them from the off and get an early goal the kop will be like a morgue.

Let's give them a good twatting and shove that putrid fields of anny road song back down their throats.

This is the one Moyes has got to show his balls in. If he shits out, I will personally fucking hunt him down like a dog.
Iain Love
39   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:24:59

I would love to see us have a real go at them and if we go 4-4-2 fan-fuckin-tastic. It would also be nice to give KK a hat-trick of losses. Imagine if we scored 4 against them and got KK to resign like he did last time.
Thomas James
40   Posted 13/01/2011 at 21:24:06

I hadn't realised how bad our record at Anfield had been. That is pathetic.

Twice they were down to 10 men and we still lost!!!!

I think fuck it, take it to them, on the field they are on the ropes. The fans still believe and it is Kenny's 1st home game...rid out 20 mins of bullshit then screw them like we did City.

I do think Moyes will be weary of the fact that it is Kenny's 1st home game and the support will undoubtedly be HUGE - so the players will be hyped...Think back to Mansell racing around Silverstone in front of the home crowd...it would give him 0.5 sec!
Nick Entwistle
41   Posted 13/01/2011 at 22:20:25

David #29. I remember that Eagles goal. We were playing Utd at home and Fernandes put us one up with that awesome strike. Only for a second half capitulation saw them romp home I think. Though that may be my take as I had a visit to Wembley to see England u16 play Spain u16 where a pre game pint of coke cost me a hiked up £9 for two of them. Bastards. Still, saw Rodwell play that day... even if I knew nothing of him. Ramble over.
Paul Thompson
42   Posted 13/01/2011 at 22:41:01

On the day of the 4-0 win at Anfield, I went to watch the reserves play at Goodison. I think it was against Liverpool and there were thousands there. I don't rememeber the score, but I do remember that the score from Anfield was given not on the tannoy but the old fashioned way ? goal by goal ? using the 'card' system against the wall on the other side of the ground. I remember being absolutely dumbfounded but delighted. Or this could be false memory snydrome.

I think Moyes will go for it.
Jim Lloyd
43   Posted 13/01/2011 at 22:43:35

Larry ,# 33, I was in the Anfield Road end that day, when our "reserves" beat them 4-0. A brilliant day!

I'll go with most of the posts on here and hope thaty we "Go At Them" I hope we don't sit back and try to defend our way through this match. The media have set evereything up as this will be the day when their darling club will begin it's resurrection.

Let's not give it to them on a plate, lets get stuck right into them from the first minute to the last. This is the day Moysie, when you need to shed image of a safety first, second and third man. Go for it and lets live up to our motto. Show them we're not there as the sacrificial lambs. If they are going to get anything at all out of this match, make them sweat blood.

Get at the buggers!

Andrew James
44   Posted 13/01/2011 at 23:07:14

Nick - If you are talking about the humiliating March 07 match (?) then I hope I recall it vividly. We went 2-1 up with a Manny wonder goal and I started thinking we were gonna take it to them.

However, and please correct me as I might be wrong and painted all this myself, but it was like all the worst things could happen in one go. Our stand in goalie drops the ball and they scored (think it was Turner?) He was stand in because Tim Howard couldn't play against Utd as he was loaned from them at the time. Fairly sure Rooney scored as well just to rub in the salt oh and I seem to remember Captain Phil (former Fergie Fledging) making one monumental cock up to hand them another goal.

Eagles came on and scored to make it 4-2 thus ensuring it was a complete and utter meltdown. In the same season we suffered a similar reverse at home to Chelsea.

Anyway Nick - are you London based because I am Kilburn and have not yet identified any pubs where my brother and I can watch the Blues without being massively outnumbered or they switch the screens to another game! Lastly, if you are London based, don't the likes of the Metro and the Standard back up what every Northern based Evertonian says about the Southern press? The coverage of the Man City win was insulting as were the reports on the Spurs match.

All that said - Eagles would be a very astute signing and I would be excited by that. 4 yrs younger than Pienaar, will be settled and can play several positions. Same age as Leighton so that could be the left side sorted for a few years. I really think he's one of those guys that should be in the Prem and Leighton will only enhance his game. Plus they both look like they appreciate the same music. Have you seen Leighton's music blog on the OS?
Kunal Desai
45   Posted 13/01/2011 at 23:34:26

Just for the record we actually went 2-0 up that day, it was a Stubbs free kick and Fernandes wondergoal before that clanger from Turner that started their comback.
Andrew James
46   Posted 13/01/2011 at 23:39:28

Cheers Kunal

I recall a feeling of disbelief when Manny scored that must have come from being 2 nil up as opposed to only 2-1.

And now I am getting flashbacks nearly 4 yrs later...

Aaaaghhh!!!! That was up there with the worst of them. Much worst than the Rhino own goal at Old Trafford in 96!
Kunal Desai
47   Posted 14/01/2011 at 00:26:15

No worries Andrew :-)

Think that wasn't the only howler. Neville putting one in for them (thinking that he was still a presumably).
Louis Then
48   Posted 14/01/2011 at 01:48:55

Hi all Blues... I'm an Evertonian from Singapore. I will be watching the derby with my RS friends. It is war time... we shall thrash them!!!! Come on Moyes, please for once be brave... stuff their ass and let the RS beg for forgiveness.
Brian Waring
49   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:25:33

Well said Louis.
Karl Masters
50   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:09:50

We must get stuck in early. First goal is even more vital thean ever. If they get it, their tails will be up, if we get it, they'll probably crumble.

Nothing to fear but fear itself here Moyesie.