Rumours (not Fleetwood Mac)

Jus heard a couple of what I will call rumours that Chris Eagles is having a medical at Finch Farm and that (thankfully IMO) Mbokani has failed to get a work permit. I don't know how true the Eagles leak is because it didn't come from my normal source and I believe we are also in strongly for Adam Hamill. My reason for posting is to ask other TWers what they think of these players.

Personally, I think Eagles has been inconsistent and haven't seen enough of Hamill or Mbokani to offer a reasonable opinion except to say it looks like we're scraping the barrel again letting Yobo, Yak and Pienaar (all experienced Premier League players) go for nowt and getting untried players in.

Not a recipe for greatness I'm afraid.

Jay Harris, Liverpool     Posted 13/01/2011 at 15:49:32

Comments

Craig Taylor
1   Posted 14/01/2011 at 03:07:49

Whether Pienaar stays or goes, I personally think that this would be an excellent peiece of ,business.

Eagles is certainly Premier League class, and the sort of signing Moyes makes to look like a bargain.

Dan Roy
2   Posted 14/01/2011 at 03:21:03

Freed, the Yak -- NOW will he score?
Jamie Sweet
3   Posted 14/01/2011 at 03:49:11

I rate Eagles pretty highly. On his day he looks dynamite and I would welcome us taking a punt on him. Could prove to be another steal from the Championship.

What I've seen of Mbokani makes me hope he doesn't get a work permit. Average at best. If he could donate the rest of his body to Yaks two feet we might be able to make a player! He doesn't look like a goalscorer, and lets face it, that's what we desperately need.
David Barks
4   Posted 14/01/2011 at 04:46:48

We let Yobo go because we had Jagielka, Distin and Heitinga all ahead of him, and the wages saved allowed contract extensions for Aeteta and I'm sure they were hoping that would include an extension for Pienaar. So no big deal to me. I'd welcome Eagles, see how he does. I am disappointed to see Yak go but understand it. Most of us have been in a situation where a change is just necessary and the best option for all involved.

We do need to bring some sort of striker is his place though. We don't know who it will be, but someone will probably show up. I have to say though, I like the potential I see in Beckford. I love his pace and quickness and enthusiasm. I know he's missed a few chances but I have to believe that regular inclusion in the team, which he is getting right now, will calm this nerves and he will be very dangerous.
Louis Then
5   Posted 14/01/2011 at 05:14:31

i have seen Eagles play in a friendly against Singapore in SE Asia. btw im a Singaporean... he looks pretty decent and hungry to impress, although it's only a friendly. I think he will do well for us.
Jalil Noor
6   Posted 14/01/2011 at 05:59:19

Burnley went to Singapore for a friendly? Wow... did not know they have a following there...
Alan Clarke
7   Posted 14/01/2011 at 06:07:43

Moyes is at his best when he's not spending huge amounts. We've been linked with Eagles since he was at Man U so Moyes will have done his homework. I wonder whether this deal has been on the cards for a while hence Eagles rejecting a move to Rangers last summer.
Michael Brien
8   Posted 14/01/2011 at 07:21:40

Asmost of the signs have been that there are players likely to leave,(Yak,Pienaar,Vaughan) and in the case of Yak this has proved to be correct it is good to see someone heading to Goodison. Although personally I will be a lot happier when it is actually confirmed.

By the way Rumours - a good album !!!
Louis Then
9   Posted 14/01/2011 at 08:12:26

Jalil Noor, Burnley went to Singapore cos our shit/crap national team wants to play some english opposition and they found Burnley to be the only willingly team at that time. Its not bcos they have following here. Most pple support RS, MU, MC and Arse....i went to watch cos at that time everton is linked to Eagles...how i wish everton will cum to Singapore and play....would be fantastic!!!!
Steve Wolfe
10   Posted 14/01/2011 at 08:39:36

Proof ,if it were ever needed,just how low we as a club has sunk.If any of you were ever in doubt that we are a midtable club at best, this season has has proved it.
I am in no doubt that the apathetic attitude that exists amongst our fans has been partly to blame for this lack of ambition at our once great club.
I have just shook my head in disbelief at some fans trying to put a positive spin on us signing Chris fuckin Eagles!!Dear oh dear.
Gareth Humphreys
11   Posted 14/01/2011 at 08:57:08

Jay, so were Coleman and Cahill.
Graham Holliday
12   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:03:17

So we're going to replace one Eagle with another? BOOMTSSSSHHH

Apologies.

It is odd though that the African connection appears to be being dismantled by Moyes - Yak and Yobo out on loan, Pienaar set to leave and rumours of Anichebe too.

If Pienaar and Vaughan go, as seems entirely possible - I hope Moyes is able to bring in a wide right, wide left and centre forward to replace them. We will have lost 3 players, so I only expect 1 or 2 in at most however!
Ray Roche
13   Posted 14/01/2011 at 08:59:59

Steve Wolfe

Did you shake your head in disbelief at the prospective signings of Cahill, Pienaar,Coleman,Jagielka etc. who came from the lower leagues or obscurity? IF he comes, lets give the lad a chance before judging him,eh?
I do agree, though, with your comments re the lack of ambition in the hierarchy of our club, starting with Blue Bill, busy shuffling money from one debt to service another...with nothing left to agrrange a loan signing, FFS.
Chris Lawlor
14   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:09:00

Steve, didnt we once sign a binman from Bury and an over the hill scottish striker from Wolves?
Anthony Hughes
15   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:21:55

Chris Eagles is a ok player who probably do a decent job but he would be a step down from Pienaar. Unfortunately this is the sort of average signing for what we've now become as a club and looks like any future signings are going to be of a similar ilk. We are now an averaged sized mid table Premiership team who'll now and again pull off big results, we can't afford the better players nor can we attract them here.
Anthony Jaras
16   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:30:47

Eagles is a player that suits the Everton mould as he is an honest and hardworking player. He has more skills than Pienaar and shoots a lot too.

He won't cost much and as we are always crying about needs width and pace, I don't see what the problem is.

He can play on both flanks and will be a perfect replacement for the outgoing South African.

Where people expecting Malouda?
Andy Morden
17   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:33:07

Eagles has played in the prem with Burnley and was one of their better performers. Hopefully (if true) he wil be like Jagielka - played in the prem for a struggling team, looked good, but no-one was willing to take a punt on him. Apart from Moyes. Could backfire of course, but hey ho, nothing ventured nothing gained...
Anthony Jaras
18   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:39:58

One issue though. Isn't he a right winger?
Chris Lawlor
19   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:36:45

Eagles is a player I have admired since his United days...he has that old fashioned winger's ability to attack the man with his head up...very similar to Coleman in a way! Have met him a number of times in a past role and always found him to be a nice humble kind of fella...the type of player Moyes loves to bring in and improve.
Viv Sharma
20   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:49:44

bit off topic but does everyone think pienaar will continue to get picked (and perform) for us until he goes? Or is that it?
Viv Sharma
21   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:51:52

***(assuming he is going this window)***
Kevin Tully
22   Posted 14/01/2011 at 09:56:19

Last chance saloon for Eagles. Like Cahill, he will relish the chance to establish himself as a Premier League player.

Will prove to be an astute signing for £ 1.5 mill.
Jalil Noor
23   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:03:57

Louis Then, they are now Singapore supporters of shitteh? Fuck me, I've been away far too long! I know they were a bunch supporting the dark side, manure, arse and chelski and even the barcodes but shitteh??

Seems some people jumping on the bandwagon. Louis, you should go to Goodison and watch us play... it's fantastic. The atmosphere before the game, the din in the stadium (provided we are playing well of cos) and the feeling after the game (provided we win of cos). I've been lucky (at times unlucky hehe) enough to watch the lads play while they were in Thailand and in GP.

In case you have not realise, I'm Singaporean too.
Norman Merrill
24   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:05:18

Kevin, You mentioning Tim Cahill there in your spot, listening to five live on radio, it was nice to hear from Tim, who is preparing to play in the Asia cup, he is also raising money for the flood victims of Queensland in the name of Everton, and has his thoughts with his team mates back home for the derby.
Good luck Tim, in all you do, and lets hope the lads dont let him and us down, on Sunday.
Anthony Jaras
25   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:14:01

*were
Andrew Ellams
26   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:13:38

Anthony @ 18, my thoughts exactly, although I do remember him scoring a goal at Goodison when then came back from 2-0 to win 4-2 when he came inside from the left so maybe he is a bit more versatile.
Matt Willey
27   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:32:54

I don't believe this rumour - Eagles became cup tied last weekend. If there was serious interest why did EFC let that happen.
Jalil Noor
28   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:35:53

Andrew, I remember that game.. the one where Fernandes scored that scorcher.

Eagles came on as a sub and scored soon after. Well taken too.
Jalil Noor
29   Posted 14/01/2011 at 10:37:27

Matt, maybe because the powers that be at Everton (dealing with transfers) fucks up all the time?
Roberto Birquet
30   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:04:01

------------
We're not letting Yak or Yobo go for nowt; and don't know yet about Pienaar.
[Loans take players off wage bill and come with small fees, and are either followed up by more cash in close season or they return to the selling club; whereas sales only include downpayments of between 25-50%]. There is not as big a difference between sales and loans as many fans believe.

Yobo and Yak should bring £8 million in, all of which I would put on a striker in the summer.
Craig Taylor
31   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:06:08

Firstly, Michael I see you stole my 'Eagles landing' title on the rumour mill, you can have that one for free!!!!

Eagles is quality, is far, far to good for the championship and is ideally suited for Everton. I agree he has been inconsitent but playing at the level he should be, and for Moyes/Everton where slackers are not excepted, he will be and great addition to the squad.

Hamill I have never seen, but as I live in the east midlands I have a lot of mates who watch the championship (Derby, Forest and Leicester). All of them have said that this kid is a different class. Someone even suggested that against Forest this season he was spray passes as good as David Beckham, so i would have some of that.

Can't see us signing Eagles and Hamill though.

Nick Wall
32   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:10:51

Reading up about this guy, he's another former Man United player, and actually scored at Goodison in United's 4-2 win in 2007. Apparently he signed a 3 year contract for Burnley in 2008, so I guess his contact is due to expire this summer, like Pienaar's.
Andrew Clare
33   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:15:36

From Pienaar to Eagles.

Where are we going!
Allan Jones
34   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:22:07

Whilst my breathe isn't taken away by this one it suits our budget and is more akin to Moyes's spending comfort zone. On this basis I think could turn out to be good business, I'm sure none of us where ecstatic when he signed Cahill, PIenaar or Lescott at first. If he had £10 mil he'd only buy a dud!
Brendan Duffy
35   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:33:17

anyone think we should take tuncay from stoke on loan,a technically gifted player who can play up tront or on either wing,think moyes should go for hih,looks to be squeezed out at stoke now with them signing ba from that german club
Louis Then
36   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:36:36

Jalil, i plan to visit England this year..i hope u can be around to show me since we r both singaporeans....and of course tickets to GP. how can i keep in touch with u?
Max Fine
37   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:38:47

Not sure what to think of this one. Eagles is a more skillful player than Pienaar, is a natural winger and will be on relatively low wages at Burnley. BUT, he's also INCREDIBLY inconsistent even in the championship (my OH is a Burnley season ticket holder) and wont be available for peanuts as Burnley don't really need the money (plus there are also rumours of a massive sell on clause for Utd).

Although claret fans love eagles they are mostly resigned to the fact that he will leave if a premiership team comes in for him. So if the deal was sweetened with Vaughan going in the opposite direction, I think Burnley would be by far the happier team.
Alan Bond
38   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:50:09

I can't see Chris Eagles having a medical at Everton today as I was at Stuart Gray's pre-match press conference at Turf Moor today and seen the player turn up for training.

Also, I can't see a swap with James Vaughan happening as Burnley are still yet to appoint a perminant Manager.
Steve Wolfe
39   Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:58:44

Re Ray, and Chris posts 13 & 14.
Cahill was well known as a good attacking midfielder who scored goals,Jags was also covetted as a defender/midfielder,Pienaar was a regular for Ajax and tried to go onto bigger things in the German league.
Chris fuckin eagles is NOT a regular at BURNLEY!!!
Its not the fact he is a championship player, because there are bargains/good players to be had,its the fact a player he plays for a struggling championship side and is deemed worthy of playing for my Everton.
Anthony Hughes
40   Posted 14/01/2011 at 12:15:45

If we are looking at Eagles as a replacement for Pienaar then it looks like Bily isn't going to be considered for that role, his days could be numbered.
Eagles more skiful than Pienaar? Debatable.
Jim Hourigan
41   Posted 14/01/2011 at 12:31:46

I think far too many have decided thats the end of the Yak. Don't be at all surprised if Moyes waits to see if he can fit and score during the rest of the season. If he does he will be back because Moyes is on record as saying he is our best forward in terms of regular premiership scoring.
Andy Fletcher
42   Posted 14/01/2011 at 12:48:06

Steve Wolfe, jeez man, where do you suppose Moyes gets players on the budget handed to him, you have criticized but not come up with one name yourself. Pathetic.
Matt Thomas
43   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:07:14

Re:- Chris Lawlor we also signed a 33yr old has been for £60,000 once a certain Paul Power who finished 2nd in the PFA player of the year awards!
James Newcombe
44   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:09:57

Andy #42 Exactly. We have no money! People need to be realistic and see that without a cash injection (ha ha!) or selling to buy, we'll be doing our shopping in the lower leagues. Personally, I hope it's true (and the Hammill rumour), we've needed wide options for as long as I can remember.
Chris Briddon
45   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:20:53

Don't know if anyone has seen, but Pienaar has turned down an offer from Chelsea and will sign a pre-contract agreement with a big european club in the next 48 hours apparently. (suggestions are Inter, Milan, Juve, Athletico Madrid or Bayern). So will be at Everton til the summer
Alec Laurie
46   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:25:25

Off the subject...
Can someone help me out?

Since when did it become neccessary to "raise funds" to get a loan signing?? Am I being completely naive and not appreciating what a bunch of incompetent cunts the powers that be actually are?

What next? We can't afford a free agent??

Also... @ Matt 27: Because the powers that be are a bunch of incompetent cunts.
Chris Briddon
47   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:53:48

Alec 46 - becuase most loans these days come with a fee involved - for example suggestions is that Leicester paid £1m to loan Yak for a season.

Brian Waring
48   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:55:41

Yeah, seen that myself about Pienaar Chris. The deal broke down because of what they were offering him.

So, if Pienaar signs a pre - contract agreement with a european club, that then means we don't get zilch for him,
because he sees his contract out with us, and moves on in the summer.
Anthony Hughes
49   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:52:38

It shows what a complete financial deadzone our club is when we're scrimping around to find loan fees and wages for average footballers.
Yes we've had a couple of good results against the top sides this season and we'll all be ecstatic this Sunday when we beat the Redshite but the long term future of our club is pretty grim. That's a whole different topic though which we've been through many times.
Guy Rogers
50   Posted 14/01/2011 at 13:59:53

i would take a squad player in any case...however as someone else said this looks like a typical squad player and moyes will get the best out of him what ever level that might be!
Brian Waring
51   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:20:43

Your right Anthony, when you look at the bigger picture, the future does look pretty grim. Also, our better players won't want to hang around too long, if this is going to be the norm.
James Cadwaladr
52   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:33:40

OS has just reported that they have accepted an offer for Pienaar. 20 minutes ago..
Lewis Morrison
53   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:08:53

Heard the news about Pienaar earlier and was surprised to hear he couldnt agree a deal with Chelsea. Did we have a chance if chelsea cant even agree a deal? I'm not going to slag Pienaar off because the lad give's 100% in every game and plays well in most. It could have been easy for him to sulk and demand a move like other players have. I fear he is being ill advised by his agent, again like other players have. I hope im wrong because i like Pienaar as a player but i can see him spending his next few seasons sitting on a fancy leather chair in the dug-out of some "major european club" if sky sports are to be believed.

By the way, just heard Carlo Ancelotti denie these reports about Pienaar rejecting a move!!! He suggested it was a case of a player using another clubs name to get more money elsewhere. Hmmmm!
Brian Waring
54   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:43:11

On the OS, it states that 2 bids had been recieved for Pienaar, one was turned down, and Pienaar was given permission to speak to the other club involved.

James Greem
55   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:53:06

Looks to me like someone wants t get out of this country and its 50% tax asap..
Brian Waring
56   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:48:54

Eagles would be a decent signing. When Burnley were in the prem, I can remember Champagne Charlie and Paul Merson always raving about him on Gillette soccer Saturday.

He has proved he can play in the prem, and could easily do a job for us.

If this rumour turns out to be true, and he plays well for us. Could we please not have the headlines of ' Moyes turns another championship player into a star ' This lad has already proved he can play at the top level.
John Daley
57   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:57:01

If it was a straight choice beteween the two then I'd much rather Hammill over Eagles. He looks a real prospect, can play on both wings or behind a striker, and also has the pace we're sorely lacking. At £500,000 he's surely worth a punt.

Eagles on the other hand is, at best, average and inconsistent and already playing at his true level. I don't see him improving at all.
Andrew Fair
58   Posted 14/01/2011 at 15:04:01

Brian #56. If Eagles comes and gets turned into a Prem player it will be with Moyes's and Everton's help. He has NOT I repeat NOT proved he can play at the top level. He had starts for United in the Prem. Then out of Burnley's 38 games in the Prem he started 20 and was a sub in 14.That is not a proven Prem player. Owen Coyle or Ferguson couldn't get the best out of an obviously talented lad so lets see what our Davie can.
Steve Edwards
59   Posted 14/01/2011 at 14:48:28

From what I have seen of Chris Eagles I would rate him very highly. Watched him last season when Burnley came to Goodison and was very impressed. He played on the left that day, very pacey, especially on the counter attack, which is something we lack. Hope this one comes off. For me this would be the sweetener for the bitter pill of losing Pienaar.
Brian Waring
60   Posted 14/01/2011 at 15:33:52

' Prospect ' There lies the problem John, we need someone who can do the bizz now.
John Daley
61   Posted 14/01/2011 at 15:55:20

On the evidence of this season so far Hammil is more likely to make an immediate impact than Chris Eagles, Brian. As pointed out by Ste Wolfe above, Eagles is not even a guaranteed starter for Burnley.
Mike Rourke
62   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:06:59

On balance i'd have preferred us to be signing Ronaldo and Robben, but I'll make do with Eagles and Hamill.

Round pegs for round holes at least.
Guy Wilkinson
63   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:58:56

Good signing. Can push Baines forward into a Seamus type role
Matthew Lovekin
64   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:13:17

With the squad that we have now, we need to be looking at signing top 4 quality players. Sorry, but Eagles certainly isn't that.

A few years ago, signings like Jagielka, Lescott, Cahill, etc were very good Championship players that should do well in the Premiership in a half decent team, which at the time, Everton were.

With the players that we have now, we should be better than half decent and looking at pushing on into Champions League positions. Although not bad signings, Eagles and Hammil are not the quality players that we currently need.
James Cadwaladr
65   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:28:54

Seen much of Hammill have you Matthew. Hes a cracking player. Eagles not so sure about but would take him.
Rob Murphy
66   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:47:15

Anybody know why,if this Hamill kid is so good,did d shite get rid??
Chris Leyland
67   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:07:18

Where Eagles dare?

The Eagles has Landed?

There's A nEw Kid in Town (The Eagles)
Sam Hoare
68   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:34:44

Think i'd prefer Hamill. Not really sure why.

Eagles has at least some experience of the prem and i reckon could be a cahill/jags esque signing.

I feel more confident of Moyes when he dips into the championship then into unknown european markets.
John Daley
69   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:04:18

"Anybody know why,if this Hamill kid is so good,did d shite get rid??"

They haven't exactly got the best track record in bringing through youth players and giving them a chance have they? If he was some Spanish kid called Adani Hamillio' then he might have had a chance there.

A lot of RS supporters think they made a mistake letting him go and aren't happy Everton might be in for him. I braved a red shite site (apologies) and i know they're nobheads but here's what they think of him:

"I always liked him and we don't currently have a player who can do what he does"

"he looks brilliant. A brick shithouse with pace, power, skill, a cracking shot, and the swagger of a superstar"

"Yeah we got rid of Hammill who had performed really really well on both of his loan moves, looked a different class from the rest when he came back in the reserves and kept the likes of Nabil el Zhar. It was fucking madness and I said so at the time."

"He looks extremely impressive in the video. It really is a must watch. Love the bit in which he almost twats Neville"

Gavin Ramejkis
70   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:09:01

John, I think you have to wonder at the shape in general of the Sky darlings sides. Very few of them have British players in anymore. Old boggle eyes Houllier then Beneath Contemptus thought they could buy fame with foreign players having seen Chelski and Arsenal do it Sourness and Kenny made some piss poor signings too. Difference being Chelski bought a squad with no depth which had a finite lifespan hence they are no looking like they need to buy ready replacements for their ageing squad (not cheap). Arsenal have a great model of buying very talented youth or younger players and evolve their side. The RS have bought some right shite over the years. Who could forget:

Henchoz - why did he look like he had been slapped non-stop for days?
Diomede - anyone remember him?
Arphexad - again?
Smicer - actually pronounced slicer
Traore - even the RS called him Djimi the Plough
Sean Dundee - awful striker from SA
Antonio Nunez - injured on his first day of training, no pace, disappeared without a trace
Josemi - useless as a footballer
Kozma - Pitiful player

Lucas - the worst Brazilian since David Blunkett's Mrs asked him to shave her
Olive Oil's ugly mate - Aquilani - did he ever play?
Martin Faulkner
71   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:34:40

Of the 2 mentioned, I'd rather we got Hammil, he's younger and cheaper, got a 500k get out clause in his contract, he can shoot from outside the box and can beat a man and has good pace. straight in at left mid for Pienaar. I hope pienaar is off to Milan for a fee now rather than in the summer, one last game vs the shite (scoring the winner).
Didn't Chris Eagles sign a new 5 yr contract with Burnley in the summer?
Mark Pierpoint
72   Posted 14/01/2011 at 22:41:38

lewis #53. he hasn't been ill advised he is jumping from a sinking ship, and who can blame him? unless our clueless board admit defeat and sell up we have no chance
Karl Masters
73   Posted 14/01/2011 at 22:43:06

Gavin

Who could forget Rigobert Song and the invisible man from Chile, Gonzalez.. £9m he cost, played about 6 times and vanished off the face of the earth! And we think we've made some bad sigings!!! :) ha ha
John Daley
74   Posted 15/01/2011 at 01:49:30

Gavin, that list could go on all day. Such luminaries as Torben Peichnik, Bjorn Tore Kvarme, Erik Meijer, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Albert Reira immediately spring to mind.
Jalil Noor
75   Posted 15/01/2011 at 03:30:54

@Louis Then 36... You can mail me at camelot74@hotmail.com

Be a pleasure to help a fellow countryman.