Eastern promise

Though in Qatar for the Asian Cup, Tim Cahill continues to be a marvelous ambassador for Everton. In multiple media interviews aired throughout Asia he comes across as a compassionate mature bloke fully in tune with world affairs. With not a hint of grandiose posturing, Tim exudes the kind of pride in our club that only true blues would have.

With Asia fast becoming a world power house having two thirds of the world population and soaring economies, it is a magnet that attracts western businesses on the look out for profit. Having Chang's business contacts on board and now wonderful publicity generated by Cahill, there could be an opening for our club.

Has Everton the financial expertise to take advantage of the situation?

Dick Fearon, West Australia     Posted 14/01/2011 at 11:04:06

Comments

Mike Prendergast
1   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:58:01

Gavin Ramejkis
2   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:17:33

As Mike said

Arse

Both Hands

Map

Still lost.......
Nick Entwistle
3   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:17:40

I'm tired of 'model professionals' saying the right thing, ridding the individual out of their personality to apease sponsors, becoming a role model to children, all at the same time as having a diet coke in their hands. Its serves nothing to nobody.

George Carlin hit it right three years back...(50 seconds in)

It goes the same for David Beckham, and thank God Tim does this on the other side of the globe or I'd become seriously annoyed by him.
Alan Clarke
4   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:14:38

What would you rather he said, Nick?
Nick Entwistle
5   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:39:27

That implies he needs to say anything Alan.
Brian Waring
6   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:55:00

Having Chang's business contacts, hasn't really done much for us up to now.
John Daley
7   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:56:58

"..he comes across as a compassionate mature bloke fully in tune with world affairs".

He's a fucking footballer, not some renowned expert on the most pressing geopolitical issues of modern times.
Howard Don
8   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:09:25

Nick "Bah Humbug" Entwistle. Far as I've heard all Tim is doing is fund raising for a disaster using his high profile. Don't see any harm in that at all.
Jon Cox
9   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:14:23

Whatever he isn't, guys, I sure dam well know what he is ? and that's an Everton legend.
Larry Boner
10   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:48:04

Nick Entwistle, I agree with you 100%, the people actually doing the work on the ground, rescuing people, feeding people, giving innoculations, can anyone tell me one of their names ?
Because people are footballers, princesses, lords, kings queens, that does not make them more humane than the average working person, it just gives companies and global brands an opportunity to expand their profile.
Im sure Cahill is sincere in his actions, but so are thousands of other people, who we never hear of.
Shaun Brennan
11   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:30:02

Larry, I agree with what your saying but the fact that Cahill is in a position to bring attention to the disaster in Oz and choosing to do so whilst participating in a tournament is admirable. Some footballers bring out biographies before tournaments. He has separated himself from the majority of his peers again.

Well done, Tim.
Dick Fearon
12   Posted 14/01/2011 at 22:21:11

My my, what miserable and ignorant fellow travellers we have on TW.
I presume that Nick# and others of his ilk have already made their donation or volunteered their assistancetoward the worst ecological and human disaster ever to strike Queensland.
In response to a media focussed on Asain Cup hype he pointed out that there was much more important things happening all over the world. What did you miserable gits expect Tim to do or say. What in hells name is wrong with Tim using his position to draw attention to the important part in any recovery will depend not only to volunteers on the ground but also upon the genorosity of millions.
It is quite clear that the cynics/critics mentioned above would rather Tim behaved like the typical boorish self centered star sportsman of the type preferred by them.
Tim is doing the best he can, what are they doing.
Robbie Shields
13   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:19:35

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Anyway, me and my wife are off to Bunnings to get some rubber gloves, shovels and brushes and then were off to Brisbane to clean up a strangers house, because we can.

Here is a link to the QLD Donations website if you'd like to make a contribution to the effort, because you can.

Howard Don
14   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:19:20

Larry (10) what a pile of santimonious nonesense. If any one of those people on the ground had Tim's profile they'd only be too happy to do what he's doing to raise funds. The point is if you want to help in any venture, you do what you are best able, suited, talented or requested to do. So can Cahill be best used by anonymously picking up a shovel and clearing the crap out of a flooded house, or by using his high profile to raise £thousands to donate to the people on the ground who know best how to use it. Complete no brainer!
Andrew Conroy
15   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:07:43

I know exactly what you mean, Nick #3- the modern sportsperson is maddeningly bland and yawningly cautious in their media dealings. Except for cyclists- Mark Cavendish, now there's a BBC Sports Personality of the Year that I could really believe in.

But I'm with Dick on this one. Tim is a man of great honour and integrity, and not only someone who'll live in the hearts and minds of many Evertonians long after he's retired, but someone whose ability to tune into the Real World sets him apart from the selfish millonaire footballer stereotype.

Whether or not his all-round-good-blokeness is sufficient to attract money to Goodison, I don't know. But I do know that Tim's few minutes being interviewed in Qatar will present Everton in a much better light that Kenwright's years of 24:7 tail-chasing.

Indulge me here people, but Tim Cahill is exactly the sort of bloke Everton should eventually be looking to bring into the boardroom/ administrative side of things. As well as being a move that would be go down well on the PR front with fans and media, he's obviously a very canny businessman with friends in high places.

But Everton's current custodians are as likely to think-forward as Arteta is to pass forward.
Andrew Laird
16   Posted 15/01/2011 at 00:19:58

"Has Everton the financial expertise to take advantage of the situation?"
There is no expertise at all, financial or otherwise with the business side of the club. Shutting your eyes, covering your ears and crossing your fingers is the current business model. Unless investment or finance falls into Kenwright's lap it just wont happen.
Andrew Laird
17   Posted 15/01/2011 at 00:46:52

I take it all back. Everton do have a knack of finding available revenue streams :
The next time I see an accident I will think of Everton. Priceless.

Steve Carter
18   Posted 15/01/2011 at 03:21:21

What some posters (from the sound of it) may be unaware of is that Tim, of his own volition and at his own expense, has, in aid of the Queensland flood victims, placed on Ebay 'The Tim Cahill Experience' - which includes two business-class tickets and two seats in his private box at Goodison to watch any Everton home match in the English Premier League. At the time I post this the bid is over $AU340,000.
Christine Foster
19   Posted 15/01/2011 at 04:16:11

I have just spent 4 days / nights sleeping on a 2-inch bit of foam as the city I live in goes under water. I finally returned home today after some of the water fell, I have an American friend who was likens it to Katrina, houses still under water and the stench, heat and sewage... not great.

Brisbane is a wonderful city but its leaking like a sieve now, and hurting, it puts a lot of things into perspective. Say one thing for Aussies, they don?t moan in an armchair, they clear up the shit. I have moaned a lot the past year or so, now I am clearing up in my wellies and realising that Everton Football Club is in a worse shape than the city I am in now. In six months this city will not have forgotten those who perished but they will have sorted most of the crap out.

A few motivated people have done more in one day in this city than those running our club will achieve in a lifetime. I realise that?s what?s lacking to fix it, motivation. Not just money... but people who can get things done and those who just look for excuses or investment 24/7.

I so want Everton to do well, I want them to start by shafting King Kenny and the Knobs this weekend, I want someone to buy our club and be motivated to gather all its supporters under one banner and motivate a team, a club and a city to be proud once more of the boys in blue.

I realise that the pragmatists need the money, but you need the will as well. From the very top to the ball boy, from every supporter, we each have our part. But like every disaster, someone has to clean up the crap that?s left. The sooner we get into it the better otherwise that?s all that will be left.

So I have decided that rather than stick an Aussie flag up the pole today, an Everton FC one is going up..

A broom is required at our club to clear the crap out, at least the water came and went in a week here. Give us something to smile about Blues, just for a weekend.

Back to the wellies... Where?s that shovel?

Jip Foster
20   Posted 15/01/2011 at 06:14:31

The Tim Cahill Experience, which I've been watching for the past few days (way out of my price range,), is brilliant - and just puts Tim in an even better light, if that's possible. I hope that they announce what game it is that winner of the bid comes that everyone gives them a big round of applause, one for coming all that way, but most of all for spending over quater of a million pounds for a worthy cause.
Dick Fearon
21   Posted 15/01/2011 at 08:19:44

Christine, from here in heatwave conditions of West Australia I can only offer a donation with heartfelt best wishes on your desperate plight.
Keep that flag flying girl and listen for a distant roar when our winning goal hits the net.
Ernie Baywood
22   Posted 15/01/2011 at 08:44:27

My donation (though humble) is in also from a sweltering Melbourne.

Tim's doing a great job all round. Not sure why some want to knock him.
Derek Thomas
23   Posted 15/01/2011 at 09:29:25

Christine, I am on 0449046731, have brush, will travel. Up past Everton Park in Keperra is dry as. All we had was run off that came down the hill. we will be there tomorrow morning bright and early.

Can bring my own beer.
Nick Entwistle
24   Posted 15/01/2011 at 12:12:51

I was unaware that Cahill had been talking about the floods in Queensland, which is good, because I hadn't heared anything about it on the news.
Queenslanders are safe in the knowledge that Cahill is on top of things.

I once sold a scooter on Ebay, me.
Christine Foster
25   Posted 15/01/2011 at 12:56:14

Thanks to Dick, Ernie and Derek for donations and offers of assistance, we are ok, a bit grubby but lots of people are far worse off and have lost everything. We sort of got forgotten by the media out here in the western suburbs, cut off with waters over Moggill road reaching nearly 20 mtrs in places. Its a harsh country with no quarter given and none expected but the people are gems.

Life is all about perspective guys, when shit happens we all pull together no matter what. As an Evertonian I understand that, we had a days warning the flood was coming but there was nothing we could do about it. Move stuff yes but when the water covers a house you move out.

The flood is coming for Everton too and many have seen it coming for so long but apathy still reigns with others.

But let me tell you something else. As much as the damage has caused pain and loss, much good to jobs and the economy will come from it. That may be hard to see now but it will draw the people together and united they will be stronger.

That's a lesson we should take in about our club. The time for complacency is over at Goodison, we need a leader and a visionary.

To everyone back home and at the match, enjoy it and be safe. Its our time.