Pienaar bid accepted

The Independent is reporting that Everton has accepted a bid for Pienaar. Will that mean no game for him this weekend. Harsh timing.

But it feels that wheeler-dealing is on its way. I will miss Pienaar, but it was more a question of when than if he would go. And £2-3 million is not something we should turn down. To me it makes sense for him to go now, and for new blood to come in.

First question is: Bily or Gueye for the rest of the season. If it's not Bily, how long has he got?

Roberto Birquet, London     Posted 14/01/2011 at 15:31:11

Comments

John Crook
1   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:29:46

With speculation (unconfirmed) that Pienaar has agreed to join Spurs, possibly this month for a fee, how would everyone feel about playing him on Sunday?

Let's say for example a £2m fee has been agreed for later in the month but that Greek fucker or one of their other cunts tries to take him out as they did in last year's Anfield derby. That would mean Pienaar not being able to move till the summer (if any potential injury is bad).

On the other hand I don't think anyone can doubt Pienaar's commitment to the cause. What a great possible way to end his Everton career maybe with a goal. Also who would play left mid on Sunday if he was to be left out to avoid injury for a move to Spurs?

Steve Guy
2   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:35:34

You're assuming it's Spurs, it may be abroad or Chelski. OS states that he is still playing on Sunday.............
Gareth Humphreys
3   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:43:17

Can't see it being abroad if they know they can get him for free. He might be playing on Sunday - for Liverpool!
Mac Lloyd
4   Posted 14/01/2011 at 16:43:35

It's a sad loss but for all his drive and class he doesn't score enough goals for me:
07 - 08 2 goals
08 - 09 - 2 goals

09-10 - 4 goals

For an attacking midfielder that's not exactly prolific.
Mike Hughes
5   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:12:35

Now confirmed on BBC website.

#3 Gareth I hope you're wrong ! In the unlikely circumstances you are right then surely even EFC would have the nous to strike a deal for him to be ineligible to play on Sunday.

He was a good player but not irreplaceable. Take the money now.
Fran Mitchell
6   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:09:49

If he gets the winner then he's a hero!

One thing I'll say about the lad....He has never lied. Never once came out and said he's staying for life, kissed badge etc. Since his first season he has always said 'I want to play Champions League Football'. It now appears (there is a wholesale agreement on this site) that is not the going to happen at Everton.

He may move and sit on the bench, but I think his mentality will say no, I will get into that team. Fair play.

He didn't score enough, he can be replaced, but he has been an excellent player for us. His skill has been great, he keeps possession, and while he doesn't usually have the final ball to be credited with an assist, his work has been vital for a great number of our assists. No doubt, he is a top player, worth 5x the 2 mil being quoted.

You can be sure whether he leaves on monday or june, he will put 100% in until he leaves.
Steve Mink
7   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:30:06

Agree with Fran Mitchell. He's been a top player while here, never wanting for effort, and has handled his departure with more dignity than most. I wish him well.

As for replacing, I would move Arteta out to that side and give Rodwell and Felli a decent run in the middle.

Conor Waters
8   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:37:54

On his day, a very good player. But far too often he frustrated me, with sloppy passes and weak challenges. Can't fault his professionalism, compared to most players these days who throw a strop in order to get a move.

I'm sure whoever he signs for won't be offering huge amounts of wages beyond the 60k we had on the table. He clearly wants to be playing in the champions league - and unfortunately we cannot offer that at present. Best of luck Steven.

I definitely won't miss the 'praise jesus' stuff...
Elaine Sarinah
9   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:40:21

I agree to a certain extent, but at the same time he wants more money, possibly just £10-15k more and is prepared to jump ship from a club that he's settled at, and who dragged him from relative obscurity, just to get it.

Lesott left for more money (double if reports are true) and it was that fact alone that rankles most Blues, not really his behaviour.

I personally do not see any loyalty or much difference between the pair.
Neil Humphreys
10   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:45:30

I hope he's gone to Milan, dont want him coming back to Goodison. Sorry to see him go but has been said, he tends to flatter to decieve - all action but lacking end result.
I hope the club have learned the lesson - the CEO should have to sign off on any players contract being less than 18 months. Following on from the loss of the nameless one to Newcastle, we are looking more like Bills corner shop every week.
Col Noon
11   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:42:10

I for one would rather see him go for a fee and have the club re-coup some money. No hard feelings from me whatsoever, he has been a great little player and I have enjoyed him being here. Can you blame him:

Current Club - Everton Football Club, havent got a pot to piss in with, no drive or any real plan for the future on or off the pitch. A board of directors that are amongst the most incompetent you will find at this level. Champions league football is never going to be on the horizon and mediocrity is the agenda for the forseeable future.

Possible Clubs - Inter Milan, need I say more?
Spurs - Rapidly improving with a talented squad of players that are fast becoming title contenders. Champions league football, and a real plan for the future on and off the pitch.

Good luck Steven get out whilst you can, I sure would.
Ray Roche
12   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:49:40

My only concern now is the effect it will have on Baines's performances. They worked so well as a unit it may have a detrimental result on the balance on that side of the pitch.
Rob Murphy
13   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:59:16

Baines has played very well without Pienaar in front of him as well Ray. Think playing with Pienaar gave him the confidence was originally lacking. He'll still be 1 of our best performers, if not the best, week in, week out IMHO.
Tony Doran
14   Posted 14/01/2011 at 17:53:59

Quality player and i'll be gutted to see him go. This also has a massive affect on the game of Baines and the flow of the team. But one door closers another opens. Who will step up to the plate. Probably down to Ozzie to save us some dough.
Alan Clarke
15   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:16:58

Beggars can't be choosers. Right now, we're skint and we need money. Everton must do everything they can to make sure they get a fee for Pienaar otherwise we won't be able to buy a replacement of any sort.
Jay Harris
16   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:22:59

It's also worrying that Jags is being reported as unfit for Sunday.
I wonder if Arsene is sniffing again.
Sam Hoare
17   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:19:25

Sounds from the press today that he has snubbed tottenham and chelse which means he must be heading abroad.

If we get 2-3 mill for him then good deal. Go out and get a younger, quicker replacement.
Chris Hannon
18   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:36:35

Does anyone think Moyes wanted to keep Pienaar till the end of the season but has decided to sell now so he can play Osman in the derby without no moans??
Ste Flood
19   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:48:45

It's Inter Milan (from a good source)... but not till after the derby.
Andy Crooks
20   Posted 14/01/2011 at 18:57:25

Jay, Jags being unfit would be a huge bonus. If Arsene is sniffing again then his arm should be ripped off.
Jim Feeney
21   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:03:42

Pienaar is now in talks with Spurs and Chelsea. Would you rather take straight cash or player exchange
Jamie Tulacz
22   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:22:40

Fair play, if he does want to join the fat Spanish waiter, he's even more stupid than I thought..!

Does sound like a fee's involved, I'd take £2-3m no problem
Paul Henshaw
23   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:35:07

Jamie@20

I thought Benitez was sacked a few weeks ago?! :s

On to Pienaar tho,i think he will be missed. Yep,his final ball was poor and goalscoring record for an attacking midfielder not great, He has good awareness of making space for others and pretty good technique on the ball....although he does good down pretty easily! Time will tell if we'll miss him but as long as he leaves after banging in the winner on Sunday,i'll be more than pleased!
Mike Hughes
24   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:37:30

Jamie #20

The FSW as you refer to Benitez was sacked from Inter a couple of weeks ago. Due to compensation etc he has more money than our entire club I'd guess.
David Hallwood
25   Posted 14/01/2011 at 19:33:33

Good point Mac Lloyd#4 and one I've made a few times, For me Pienaar doesn't score enough goals and he doesn't do enough runs into the box. A good player and I'll be sorry to see him go, but if he's going to Spurs I'd be happy to exchange Kranjar in return who does score goals.

If Spurs is his destination (which looks increasingly unlikely) or even Chelsea it makes you wonder what position will he play. Looking at Spurs, LM is Bale, so that loks like a non-starter, unless Awwyy wants to put bale LB a la Baines, couldn't have a CM partnership of him and Modric, because they are too similar and they'd get steamrollered, RM is Lennon. Look along the Chelsea team and he's got similar problems (Pienaar for Phat Phrank??-No!!)

Destination Italy in the summer
Jamie Tulacz
26   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:25:00

It's a fair point! Still upset and in denial about the whole thing..
Garry Corgan
27   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:32:44

Oh well, at least if he goes to Inter (for free, on a Bosman) in the summer we'll get the rest of the season out of him.

And if the situation settles down now that everything (appears to be) sorted out, maybe he'll start to play a bit too. He can concentrate on his football.
Andrew Laird
28   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:35:24

If he stays until the summer I hope that God tells him to keep putting shifts in through his direct line.
John Talbot
29   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:41:58

Should of sold him when he wouldn't last year. Cashed in and invested money in the team.
Larry Boner
30   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:40:44

Latest is he has knocked back Chelsea and Spurs, will finish his contract at Everton and leave in the summer for free. This may now mean that we get no players in during January, after losing Yakubu for zilch til the end of the season.

Total incompetence from the business side of Everton, could have shipped out Yakubu for the money WHU offered, same with Pienaar, now we will get basically nothing for two PL players, as I can't see Leicester paying any more than £750k for Yakubu.

Neil Humphreys
31   Posted 14/01/2011 at 20:48:34

Sky Sports reporting that we have allowed him to open talks with Spurs. Maybe its big Phil Green's gift to the club he supports - from the club he owns!
KPR Williams
32   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:07:14

How does it work that we have accepted an offer? Surely this means a sum of money has been offered and we have accepted, meaning he will be sold to whoever offered that money... unless of course he chooses to knock the offer back and wait till the summer ? meaning we get diddley squat...
So Mr Pienaar... what's it to be?
Shaun Brennan
33   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:26:45

The fact that Moyes has known that Pienaar has been planning to leave for a while now & he has not tried out anything new is criminal. He'd best have a good plan or trick up his sleeve.

Tom Bowers
34   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:39:42

Without doubt he should not play in the Derby match. His focus is elsewhere obviously. The lad has been a decent performer for the Blues depite his lack of goals.Good luck to him.Now is the time to sell otherwise he will be worth nothing in May.
Remember Everton were the most fouled team in the Premiership in 2010 and Pienaar probably drew most of them.Unfortunately this was partly due to his lack of real speed and being easily knocked over just like Osman. Hopefully Moyes has lined up a replacement.
Andrew James
35   Posted 14/01/2011 at 21:45:28

For me Pienaar can be replaced on the left by Ossie. Ossie is not quite as zippy but picks and chooses his passes with greater end product. His work rate will be the same and he is arguably a slightly more intelligent player who will complement Baines well.

I know people on this site dislike Ossie but everytime I see him on the left with Baines, they've looked good together and they read one another well. Finally, Ossie likes a shot on goal. I suspect he's usually been in our top 3/4 goalscorers most seasons and it is goals we need. Bily has a sweet left peg but won't help Baines whatsoever and needs to be more centralised. Gueye is a secret weapon so we will not see him unless we are 4-0 down in injury time on the final day of the season needing a draw to stay up.
Dave Charles
36   Posted 14/01/2011 at 22:40:14

Don't forget to thank the club Steven for making you a househeld name.

Who were you before you played for Everton?.

At 28, you have done well to get a deal for a player with no real pace and will not get any quicker. A great World Cup you had, NOT.

See you soon on Skysports or ESPN in the SPL.

Thanks for nothing and we payed you well for it.
Ste Traverse
37   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:09:19

Why didn't the useless muppets that "run" our club give Pienaar a 4 year deal in 2008 rather than a 3? Had they done that we wouldn't be in this position now.
Allan Jones
38   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:46:05

Let's see him go to Spurs etc and struggle...One thing this last year has told me is how much I dislike big mouth Harry and Spurs! I've heard of team's wanting two players for every position but with Spurs it's more like 3 or 4. How long before thy go ala Pompey and West Ham and declare their skint.

Pienaar is a good player, top class he isn't. At the world cup he was outshone by other's in the SA side who probably earn nothing near what he does. If some fools wanna pay him 70k then let them, he's worth about 40k at best.
Ernie Baywood
39   Posted 14/01/2011 at 23:56:14

Ste #33 - If they'd tied him to a longer deal and he'd turned out shit (or got injured) people would complain that the club was shortsighted in giving an unproven player such a long contract. Who says he would have taken it anyway?

Its a two way street.

Pienaar signed a deal until he was 28. Perfect time for him to either get one last payday and one last chance of success. 3 years ago he may have wished that would be Everton in the CL but it matters not. He'll be off to a CL club and good luck to him. As said earlier in the thread, he's never lied to us and hasn't let his effort or performances drop.

Model pro and a cracking little player if you ask me. Just a shame we can't really keep someone like him. Just wait until some of the other contracts come up... from all the optimism of pre-season I'm genuinely worried for our future.
Alan Clarke
40   Posted 15/01/2011 at 00:17:57

Is that the same model pro done for drink driving?
Ste Traverse
41   Posted 15/01/2011 at 01:13:08

Ernie # 35. Pienaar signed on permanently towards the end of the 07/08 season when he'd played well so it was obvious he wasn't "shit".

He was 26 at the time so why did they not give him a 4 year deal to take him through the peak years of his career? Lack of foresight by the bungling fools that "run" our club.
Andy Codling
42   Posted 15/01/2011 at 01:33:28

Ste exactly. We are now having to get rid of players just to afford loan deals... ffs how is this possible? ? but yet our Chairman remains untouchable to many.

This is my last year as a season ticket holder until Kenwright has been removed or sold up (neither likely).

Pat Finegan
43   Posted 15/01/2011 at 01:32:20

Roberto, I think it's going to be Osman on the left. He and Baines work well together and, lets be honest, would Moyes choose anyone else?
Ste Traverse
44   Posted 15/01/2011 at 02:23:19

Andy # 38. Kenwright is intouchable and it is a disgrace,he's been in hiding again with us having a bad time but it's guaranteed he'll be all over the media on Sunday hogging the limelight if we win.

The Pienaar contract situation has been poorly handled by the club. Good luck to him though. I couldn't blame any of our best players for moving on from our unambitious club.
Lee Howard
45   Posted 15/01/2011 at 04:17:20

So now Pienaar and Yak has left and we haven't got any money, which kids ? or do even you think any kids ? will step up?

We are still not scoring goals and it won't take much to fall down the league...

Mike Green
46   Posted 15/01/2011 at 08:28:03

From day one I've been a Pienaar fan but the bottom line is how on earth the club allowed him to be completely non-committal to us regarding his future and not sell him in the summer is a disgrace.

If I went around the house saying 'I'm not saying I don't love you.....but I'm not saying I do either' my missus would show me the door pretty fucking quick.

I'm sorry but the whole things a piss take which for me turns all the good he's done on the pitch pretty sour.

And I can't say Tony Hibberts not completely blameless in all of this either.
Ernie Baywood
47   Posted 15/01/2011 at 08:51:37

Ste, plenty of players can string a few months together... you're using hindsight to criticise the club for something that happens all over the game. It makes perfect sense that Pienaar would want his contract up at this stage of his career... perfect time to assess whether we can satisfy his ambitions.
Wayne Smyth
48   Posted 15/01/2011 at 09:09:35

Mike, how can you compare a job contract with marriage? Pienaar has no particular affection to this club. He has made no promises at any time that he would stay on past his current contract, so he hasn't misled us. He has continued to honour that contract, play well and not rock the boat while he's been here.

If he now wishes to move on, then there are no complaints from me. He's done well for us.

As Ernie said, its really the club that has misled(us fans) as well as its' employees, the players. Listening to billy bullshitter over the years would make you think that investment was incoming, or we would strengthen the squad significantly. Neither has happened. If I was in Pienaars shoes I'd be walking to a club with ambition too.

I've walked away from several employers myself when their promises don't materialise.
Robert Szlaz
49   Posted 15/01/2011 at 09:50:40

The lad has done well for us. We got him for peanuts (pardon the pun) and he has done a better job than many other so called attacking midfielders - Who would you rather 2m for peanuts or 17m for Bentley?

I will miss his sulking face at being hacked down again!
Steve Cotton
50   Posted 15/01/2011 at 11:12:19

If we get back for him what we paid and in the mean time had 3 great years out of him then who can complain. We made 25 mill on Rooney and 22 mill on Lescott and still peolpe are not happy.
The only problem I see is that we can't afford the Championship level player to turn into a superstar anymore.
If we can't even bring in Adam Hamill, who is off to Wolves by the way..
Ste Traverse
51   Posted 15/01/2011 at 11:40:01

Ernie # 47. I'm not using hindsight to criticise the club. I'm using the fact I saw Pienaar enough during the 07/08 season to make a judgement on him.

I assume you're forgetting he came on loan first.
Yanga Vava
52   Posted 15/01/2011 at 13:20:26

What a cracking player Steven has been for Everton but, like others have alluded to, the problem starts now. With Steven gone and Fellaini playing better than Arteta, what's going to happen when Fellaini's contract runs out? Surely if he is playing better than Arteta he's gonna want parity with him and he does not get it ? he's gona do a Pienaar on us.
Mike Green
53   Posted 15/01/2011 at 13:23:07

Wayne - I'm criticising the club for allowing him to freely run down his contract not Pienaar for doing so - though having said that he and his agent are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense now though aren't they? Another example of zero loyalty - if he'd had the decency to make it clear he was off, which he always was, we could've got the correct recompense for resurrecting the blokes career.

Respect your opinion but think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Hugh Murphy
54   Posted 15/01/2011 at 13:43:14

Read between the lines lads. He's off to Inter in the summer. Bleedin' obvious to me anyway.
I say good luck to him as he's always been professional about the whole thing.
Remember we did get him for next to nothing & got a few great years out of him.
Always felt like he was here temporarily, almost like an extended loan period til he moved on..
Mike Rourke
55   Posted 15/01/2011 at 14:42:02

Blimey! This is the dying swan of transfer sagas.

I've said my piece time and time again and I'll be DAMNED if I say it again.

In answer to the original question: Yeah, give Billy a spin out there
Rob Murphy
56   Posted 15/01/2011 at 19:15:16

Doesn't score, very few assists, loaded nice foreplay but no sex. Himself & his agent can praise God, Jesus, Mohammed, Allah & whoever etc when they bag themselves a fat wad of cash soon.

Hope he signs for someone with those nice formula 1 seats in the dugout, otherwise poor Schillo will more than likely spend the rest of his career getting splinters in his arse watching the Champion's League matches he thinks he's good enough to play in. Isn't that right Joleon??

Ernie Baywood
57   Posted 16/01/2011 at 00:07:39

Of course I'm not Ste. We knew he could play. But its not as simple as saying "this guy's great - lets sign him for life".

OK, give him 4 years... we'd have had to have paid him more to get that security (why would he want to negotiate possibly his last contract at 29 or 30? He would understandably expect something in return for making that commitment), and if his form had dropped we would have been left with an underperforming player on greater wages. If his form had been great then we still would have reached this position in a year's time.

There's a balance to things. Very good players might go to shit teams but they don't sign long contracts. Average players going to great team might want a long contract but the clubs are unlikely to offer it. Its all about who holds the power in the negotiation. 3 years was perfect for Pienaar and even with hindsight it wasn't too far off the mark for us. We've had a chance to match his ambitions, failed, and now he wants to go. That's business.
Ste Traverse
58   Posted 16/01/2011 at 01:48:13

The fact is Ernie had he been given a 4 year deal in 2008 we'd be able to sell him for a lot more than the paltry fee we'll pick up for him now so I will criticise the club for this.

And I said in an earlier post that I wouldn't blame any of our best players for moving on given the pathetic lack of ambition at Goodison.
Mike Green
59   Posted 16/01/2011 at 09:21:18

Sorry Ste - The fact is we'd be in exactly the same position a year down the line.