Why???

Just seen the team for the Derby! Not excited one bit.Anichebe in for Saha,who hasn't even made the bench.If this is a straight swap due to injury then fair enough.But why do i get the feeling that "Big" Vic will be playing from the left with Leon Osman tucking in to make a 5 man midfield?

I am submitting this now so i don't come across as trying to be wise after the event.I cannot fuckin' believe this!!! I hope i am wrong but it looks like safety first from Moyes AGAIN!

After the last 2 games i would have respected Moyes more if he had brought in James Vaughan to partner Beckford! I don't rate Victor and i think we should attack from the very first minute.

Right, match about to start, let's see how we do... I've got to say that this season i am starting to run out of patience with Moyes! I hope i am wrong.COYB.
Lee Courtliff, Burnley     Posted 16/01/2011 at 13:55:34

Comments

James Hollister
1   Posted 16/01/2011 at 16:01:51

Once again sicknote Saha was out "injured" or more like he bottled it again. Funny how he always goes missing in these matches.

The penalty was outrageous and should not have been given.

Second half 60% of the possession to us, and we score 2 goals, with a sublime pass by Osman and a cracking finish by Beckford.

But once the shite had the penalty, we did a lot of huffing and puffing but not much else, no doubt stunned by the retarded decision by the ref to give the penalty that never was.

I really don't know what we are supposed to do to win a match at analfield. Seems no matter what we do, we always seem to come away with a god damned draw. Today we should have come away with all 3 points, we deserved it more, pressured them more in the second half, and again for nothing.

Why he shoved Bily on instead of Guyere is beyond me.

Fella I thought had a great game, really hussled the midfield which is always great to see. However the biggest piss off in this match was saha going missing yet again claiming injury.

2 more points lost rather than 1 gained imo
Danny Broderick
2   Posted 16/01/2011 at 16:23:03

I actually think Anichebe was a good choice for a game like this. He is far more physical than Saha, exactly what you need in a game like this. Saha was also injured.

Great to see Vaughan given a run out at the end, pity he was on his own up front for the 20 minutes or so that he was on the pitch. He should have left Beckford on in my opinion, but appeared to settle for a draw again.

For me it was a definite penalty. Even though Maxi went down extremely easily, the minute Howard came out like he did the ref had no choice.

Overall I am frustrated, I honestly believe we are a better team than them but for whatever reason it's just not happening for us up front, even when we started with two up front like today.

Paul Dewhurst
3   Posted 16/01/2011 at 16:30:16

Lee, what do you see in Vaughan? He has his supporters but I can't see it! He runs around a lot and runs into people and gives away free kicks and does not seem to cause a goal threat.

James, I agree Felli had a great game although his pass across the box before half-time had me wanting to throttle him. Have you seen much of Gueye play? I haven't so cant say he should be on ahead of Bily. But I do find Bily frustrating.
Mick MacManus
4   Posted 16/01/2011 at 16:26:25

We could have held the 2-1 and won it, but the penalty was a penalty.

It was a slow first half for us. I would have liked to see Rodwell start instead of Osman, but it looked like a 4-4-2 set-up, so in that respect fair play to Moyes for keeping with it. Coleman didnt get much opportunities to shine, Victor wasnt the best and Vaughan didnt get a chance to do much. I am glad Beckford scored, he took his chance very well. So let's keep the 4-4-2 going!

Finally, as for Piennar, I wont miss him. He was a good engine type player for the team, and linked up well with Baines last season, but he very rarely scores goals and has a weak shot as the best of times. A squad buy for Chelsea and nothing more.
Col Hughes
5   Posted 16/01/2011 at 16:48:44

After the first-half performace, I would've settled for a draw, especially with the line-up we had: no Cahill, no Pienaar, no Jagielka, no Saha. Them kopites go on about them two players they were missing, but we had four first teamers out which is a massive blow for a squad our size.

It was a good point, although a bit gutted after taking the lead. We need Moyes to draft in a couple of loan signings. Osman on the left is a no go! I can't believe how slow he is, I haven't ran for 10 years, but I reckon I could beat him over 50 yards, no danger.

Lee Courtliff
6   Posted 16/01/2011 at 17:02:39

Paul Dewhurst ? That is exactly what I see in Vaughan. He's got energy and bite! Decent finisher too. In fairness, Victor did quite well today but he has infuriated me so many times with his can't-be-arsed-i've-done-everything mentality that I do dislike him now. Still cheer him on 'cos he's a blue but I just can't take to him anymore.

I thought we did okay today, good 20 minute spell in the 2nd half but overall a draw was a fair result.

Paul Holmes
7   Posted 16/01/2011 at 17:14:25

Rodwell should have played instead of the very disappointing Arteta (what has happened to him!). Yak should have played (scored yesterday for Leicester) and Osman should stay on the subs' bench (too weak).

I wish we could change the manager, as everything is getting stale around the club. This was one of the worst Liverpool teams ever and their supporters are saying how can we watch this crap ? and guess what, I agree with them ? Moyes out! (we're going backwards with him).

Michael Brien
8   Posted 16/01/2011 at 17:11:20

No doubt the Kopites wil make the most about being without 3 of their top players: Gerrard, Carragher and Clattenburg.

I think it was a definite penalty ? a rush of blood to the head by Tim Howard. Does anyone out there know when we last got a penalty at Anfield? Me and a mate reckon it was 1988. I am not saying that we should have done today ? but if it is 1988 then it is rather a long time and a bit of a damning stat re Referees. Overall, I thought the Ref did a good job though I reckon Torress got away with a few sly digs here and there.

Personally before the game I would have settled for a draw but I was disappointed that we "gift wrapped" the penalty for them. If the equaliser had been a brilliant volley or fantastic overhead kick or some other example of brilliant play, then there's nothing that you can do... but when you give away a stupid penalty it is very annoying.

Thought it was very poor defending by Johnson on the line for our equaliser!! No wonder England have struggled with him playing in the defence!!! Pleased for both Distin and Beckford. No wonder the lad struggled as a lone striker ? it's hard enough for strikers of international experience ? but to ask a guy with no Premier League experience to take on that role is a very big ask, and shows poor judgement by Moyes.

I hope Moyes is willing to give 4-4-2 a decent chance. I am not saying ditch 4-5-1 forever but it's been brilliant these last few games when we have played a different formation. You could actually think before a game ? what formation will we play!!? Instead of knowing it will be 4-5-1 all the time!!!
Brian Waring
9   Posted 16/01/2011 at 17:37:35

James, a draw was a fair result in the end. I don't know how you could say we deserved it more, we could have been 3 - 0 at half time, and it would have been game over, we were absolutely shite first half, and better second half. Also, the corner that led to our first goal, actually came of the blue boot of Anichebe last, so was never a corner in the first place.
Col Hughes
10   Posted 16/01/2011 at 18:31:38

Ive just read that pienaar went to moyes yesterday, and said he wasnt in the right frame of mind to play in one of the biggest games in world football? first of all, cheeky bastard, second, are we still paying his wages? cos if i went into work tomorrow and said i cant be arsed, id get docked, and were a club that needs every penny.
This is a lad who wears a vest saying 'GOD IS GREAT', and who comes from a piss poor country, he should be greatful for what Everton has given him
Brian Waring
11   Posted 16/01/2011 at 19:06:04

Col, I think it may have been a blessing in disguise, that he wasn't in the right frame of mind, even though we missed him today. If he got injured, he doesn't get the move, we lose out on the cash, and he goes for nothing in the summer.
John Crook
12   Posted 16/01/2011 at 19:05:04

God is great? Only if god pays me £70k a week!
Col Hughes
13   Posted 16/01/2011 at 19:11:48

Brian, I understand what your saying, but no transfer is close. Moyes has just said on Sky Sports that Pienaar will be at training tomorrow, although you could take that with a pinch of salt.

To be honest, I'm just gutted he's going, I thought we really missed him and Saha today.

And exactly where is the cash going, what we do get for Pienaar?

Pat Finegan
14   Posted 16/01/2011 at 22:24:18

Did anyone else notice that as soon as we changed to 4-5-1, we scored?
Sean McCarthy
15   Posted 17/01/2011 at 01:13:07

4:4:2 in 1st half was awful. Anichebe and beckford looked like they were championship players at best. Wait..hang on a second. They are!!! I know beckford scored but that doesn't make him any better. His effort in 1st half was embarrassing. People on here were sayin he should play ahead of cahill. Do me a favour!!!

What does anichebe offer?? He's built like a heavy weight yet got knocked off the ball by that midget spearing!! He's shit just like his attitude. Were 12th in league and let's be honest that's about as good as we are I'm afraid. Those who dreamt of top 4 finishes mustve been deluded. With a strike force like today's we've have no chance!! Can anyone remember a worse front two pairing?? Alan Biley and Mick ferguson maybe!!!

James Stewart
16   Posted 17/01/2011 at 02:13:10

I thought Beckford did well personally. Not subtle but he is effective and threatens with his pace. Anichebe on the other hand is a mule. Horrible touch. Lazy and slow.
Michael Brien
17   Posted 17/01/2011 at 07:24:47

If both Anichebe and Beckford were as bad as you suggest Sean #15 then we wouldn't have got away with a draw we would have lost the match. Both are easy targets for criticism from some Evertonians it would seem. Some players no matter what they do or how well they play will always get stick, whilst others can get away with a bad game - well there's always the " class is permanent - form is temporary" priciple to apply.

Both players did well - and if you can't recognise that then you must have been in another universe yesterday afternoon. Beckford is in his first season as a Premiership player and sometimes it shows. However, he has great potential and given a decent run in the team, and playing alongside another striker for some of the time ( I don't want all you Moyes - boys advocates of 4-5-1 to think that anyone would be in favour of dropping a formation that has won us ........) it may benefit him and the team.

Given time I think we will find that we have in Beckford a very good striker. But if you carry on giving him stick - drive him away and watch him flourish at another club.

Anichebe has a poor scoring record - but he has often been played out of position and he has a decent "assist" record e.g. he played a major part in making the second goal.

Vaughan - still only 21 isn't he - with hopefully his best years ahead of him. All of 15 minutes of action and he didn't change the game . Of course all substitues do that don't they?

Here's an interesting concept/principle/attitude that might be a bit unusual or just downright radical and dare I say it revolutionary. How about giving some of our players a chance ? A game I play sometimes is to guess which Blues players will get slagged off by Evertonians - Neville, Anichebe, Vaughan, Beckford - you can predict some of the players who will come in for stick - even before a ball is kicked in a game. Prejudice anyone ?.............surely not.
Sean McCarthy
18   Posted 17/01/2011 at 09:22:47

Potential?? He's 26 and should be at the peak of his career. He ain't going to get any better!! As fior anichebe the less said the better!!

I know there are more than a few on here who love to slag off some players regardless of how they perform. I don't. But you'll never convince me either of those 2 are anything but championship players. Just coz beckford has a bit of pace doesn't make him a quality player. If were happy with players of their quality then we really have given up. NSNO?? Yeah right!!

Michael Brien
19   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:20:38

Does the name Ian Wright mean anything to you? Arsenal signed him from Crystal Palace in 1991 for about £2.5M - doesn't sound much in these days of £20M+ transfers does it. However at that time it was a club record fee for Arsenal. Ian Wright was 28 at that time - 0h dear well past the peak of his career and surely not going to get any better. He went on to break the Arsenal goal scoring record - so even if by your calculations he was a couple of years past his best at the time Arsenal signed him ,he did a pretty good job for them. If Beckford is half as good then I don't think we will have any complaints.

There have been other examples of so called " late starters", players who have missed out on joining clubs when they were younger/have been turned down by some clubs. It happened to Ian Wright, he was turned down by a couple of clubs. We also have the example of Alan Stubbs - who Everton thought wouldn't make the grade and we were proved wrong!!!.

I think there is more to Beckford than pace - his goal yesterday showed that. I believe that if given the opportunity to show what he can do ,he could turn out to be a very good signing. After all we didn't have to pay out mega millions for him did we ?

If both Beckford and Anichebe are as bad as you make out I don't believe we would be around mid table -I think we would be firmly at the bottom of the table.

I can remember being on teaching practice in March 1976 and in the Staff Room one of the teachers was reading the sports pages when he remarked - " I see Everton are doing their team building from Luton Town these days". The player he was "rubbishing" was Andy King - I wonder if he had changed his mind by October 1978 ? You don't have to pay mega millions to sign good players.
Sean McCarthy
20   Posted 17/01/2011 at 20:56:20

To paraphrase the best political put down in many a year.........
" I know Ian Wright. Jermaine Beckford is no Ian Wright"

There was a good reason why there wasnt a huge queue trying to secure his services (even on a free) last year!!