Howard's comments

Tim was interviewed on Fox Soccer Channel via phone after the match today.

Warren Barton tried to lure him into a 'what if Man U can back looking for you with Van der Sar getting on etc etc....'. Tim cut it short... 'I'm an Evertonian' and stated his wish to stay at Goodison for the rest of his career.

Regardless of some mixed form, it was great to hear such vocal loyalty. If only we could afford to grab Landon.

Paul Columb, Alaska     Posted 17/01/2011 at 02:55:33

Comments

Adam Fenlon
1   Posted 17/01/2011 at 08:15:01

Good answer.

They're usually too afraid to say anything remotely definitive so we get stuff like "who knows what the future may hold?" or "I leave contractual matters to my agents".
Tony Hale
2   Posted 17/01/2011 at 09:08:41

I posted something similar regarding Leighton Baines a couple of weeks ago. It's always nice to hear our players publicly committing to the club like this. I've always liked Tim, even when he was at United, and i was absolutely stoked when we signed him. Nice to have players like Howard, Cahill and Baines who's future lies at Everton and not in "Gods Hands"
Shaun Brennan
3   Posted 17/01/2011 at 09:46:29

That's exactly how it should be done, silence the question and rumours straight away.

Well done, Timmy!
Lee Mandaracas
4   Posted 17/01/2011 at 10:17:12

I couldn't agree more with either of you. Always been a Tim Howard fan and couldn't believe we got him. I know he has weaknesses (especially on back passes) but I still wouldn't have anyone else between the sticks. Even Hart, Cech, Reina (shudders) et al on a free and I would prefer to stick with what we have thank you very much.

Most amazing of all is that he managed to break the legend that is Big Nev's record of clean sheets in first 100 games for us and gets criticised so easily. I hope he stays until retirement and becomes as big a legend for us as that man who in his day was without doubt the greatest goalkeeper in the world.
Stephen Kenny
5   Posted 17/01/2011 at 10:48:28

As a man he's a great ambassador for the club and seems to have a lot of time for the fans.

As a goalie he doesn't command his area well, doesn't communicate well, only comes off his line for Xmas and birthdays and is making a lot of errors, which are costing us points.

I know in his position mistakes are amplified but he is no Nigel.
Jimmy Hacking
6   Posted 17/01/2011 at 10:51:10

At the risk of sounding a bit crazy, comments like Tim Howard's make me go weak at the knees and want to kiss his Beautiful American bonce.

I don't want to turn this into some subtle anti-Kenwright rant or anything but to show such loyalty to a broke and badly-run club IS highly commendable, maybe not all these modern football-types are that bad after all.

COYB
Ernie Baywood
7   Posted 17/01/2011 at 11:02:36

We get all excited when players say they love the club and want to stay for the rest of their career.

We hammer anyone who says they want to leave and play for a team in the CL.

The truth is almost always somewhere in between the two. So I just take no notice.
Craig Taylor
8   Posted 17/01/2011 at 11:23:44

Howard does make errors but so do all keepers. Reina is supposedly the best keeper in the league in a lot peoples eyes but he makes more mistakes than Tim (look him for Distins goal)

Tim saves us more than he fucks us over.

As a keeper myself I will say the ovious, but its true. When a keeper makes a mistake in 1 game its picked upon straight away because it generally results in a goal. However he has to do a about 20 good things over a number of games (without mistakes in between) before he gets credit.

There are always 10 men in front of the goalkeeper, that the ball has gone past before it gets near him!

Tim is certianly in top 5 goalkeepers in the prem.
Stephen Kenny
9   Posted 17/01/2011 at 11:32:22

Craig,

IMO there are easily 10 better keepers in the premier league than Tim Howard.
Mike Rourke
10   Posted 17/01/2011 at 11:42:33

Jimmy, such a display of apparent loyalty makes me feel all warm and gooey too!

On the other hand, reckless attempts to snatch the ball from an attacker heading away from goal have me venting my guts in a bitter and twisted rage!
Stuart O'Malley
11   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:06:28

Can you name them please, Stephen? Thought Howard was immense yesterday, bar the peno of course.
Aiden Jones
12   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:22:02

Hart/Cech/Van der Sar/Robinson/Reina ... Given ...... struggling after that.
James Stewart
13   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:33:27

I thought Howard was very poor on both goals yesterday so in my book he cost us the points again. He makes some great saves but earlier comments are correct he is no Nigel. Model professional but average keeper.
Anthony Hawkins
14   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:47:10

Does it matter how many keepers are better than Howard? The fact is that Tim Howard has been the best Keeper at Everton since Southall and continues to be solid.

Yes Howard makes mistakes but then his mistakes are minute in comparison the rest of the teams "efforts" on many occassions. If anything, he is a strength and not a weakness.
Anthony Hughes
15   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:52:07

Howard best since Southall? Nigel Martyn for me.
Craig Taylor
16   Posted 17/01/2011 at 12:58:02

Cech - has confidence problems and understandably shits himself when a player goes near him because of his head.

Van Der Sar - has had his day.

Reina - Over rated makes as many mistakes as Howard. but would make my top 5.

Hart - Good, still up and coming would make my top 5 though.

Given - He used to be good but I fail to see how I can judge him when he doesnt fucking play.

Robinson - Under rated, great keeper, would make my top 5.

So to clarify (MY OPINION)

Robinson
Reina
Hart
Howard
Jaaskelainen

In that order.
Jonny McIlveen
17   Posted 17/01/2011 at 13:12:22

This is a little off topic but can I say that I have had the pleasure of meeting Tim Howard on a number of occasions and the bloke is a pure gent.

In fact after meeting him a couple of times through a family member and him learning of my (and my families) support of the blues he obtained 5 FA cup semi final tickets for us and the same amount for the final. Whilst I appreciate that he will have no money worries the guy would not take a penny off us.

I am not surprised by the comments he makes above as he seems to genuinely love Everton. In fact he went as far to say that compared with united he would much rather be within the tight knit unit here as opposed to the 'superstars' at Old Trafford.

Despite the fact that he has made a few blunders this season I would still put him as one of the top 5 keepers in the prem.
Stephen Kenny
18   Posted 17/01/2011 at 13:24:10

In order of how highly I rate them.

Hart
Reina
Cech
Given
Gomes
Schwarzer
VD Sar
Robinson
Jaaskelienen(not sure how you spell it)
Green
Begovic
Gordon

Like I said there are better keepers out there but as a person he a good guy.
Nick Entwistle
19   Posted 17/01/2011 at 13:36:36

Commending one player for his loyalty then wanting one to jump ship. Awesome.
Craig Taylor
20   Posted 17/01/2011 at 13:39:44

Stephen, I appreciate it is your opinion but Gomes, Gordon and Begovic? Really? or you just kidding us around?

Isn't Gomes sponsored by Anchor butter?
Aidy Dews
21   Posted 17/01/2011 at 13:37:38

James (11*) ? I think you're being a bit harsh on Howard saying he was at fault for both goals yesterday, the second maybe but not the first.

Building up to the first goal, Howard made 2 good saves and on the first, didn't get the help from his defence as Distin and Baines stood still and never reacted to the danger and let Kuyt get another shot off before the ball fell to Meireles and he fired the ball home and even on that shot Baines didn't get out to him quick enough.

The second one was his fault, I don't think he needed to slide in at that point as Maxi Rodriguez was going away from goal, all he needed to do was stay on his fett, get close and make sure he went away from goal.

But all in all he's been a good goalkeeper for us and he does have is frustrating flaws like his slowness when distrubuting the ball and his weaknesses at free kicks and things but he does pull off some cracking saves at times to keep us in games or even match winning saves like at City.
Stephen Kenny
22   Posted 17/01/2011 at 15:28:44

Craig,

All three of those you named are excellent shot stoppers who command their area well. Howard doesn't and that's why I dont rate him. IMO the less spectacular stuff you see from a keeper the better they usually are.

The reason for that is beacuse they have a great understanding with the defence and they communicate well. Sitting behind Howard once a fortnight I can honestly say that's not the case for us and hasn't been for a few years.

It's only an opinion but it's one I've held pretty much since he stayed rooted to his line in the semi against Chelski and then started getting lobbed left, right and centre.
Paul Foster
23   Posted 17/01/2011 at 16:45:41

Stephen,

Chances are, you see a lot more of Howard than you do of other 'keepers. You therefore see (and remember) more of his mistakes than you do from other 'keepers.

Still, that's no excuse for putting Robinson, Green and Begovic ahead of Howard in your Prem 'keepers list. Absolutely outrageous claim!
Jason Lam
24   Posted 18/01/2011 at 06:28:31

Baines was at fault for the first goal, ball watching twice, and Howard was unsighted because of the half-arsed attempted block. Can't fault the second goal, the defenders were all too static and again not reacted to the second ball.

Howard kept us in the game in the first half, but yes he's no Nigel.